ADVERTISEMENT

AAC waiting for the call...

hey @Chris McLaughlin how many props do we have on the 2 deep this year?

Quite a few off the top of my head: Keion Davis, Deon-Tay McManus, Gary Thompson, Nyquan Harris, Jason Smith, Rodney Allen, Channing Hames, Frankie Hernandez & Trammel Carey.

Add in the stud NQs we took this year like Darius Owen and JaQuan Yulee and the number is pretty large.

Reactions: andy4theherd
it's all about money. we don't have it. we bled our donors dry to build a state of the art IPF ("the best in the country"). we can't pay exit fees, entrance fees, and whatever else to slightly move up a little bit on the ladder. we gain some of that back with a better TV contract but again, not enough money to make a big difference in our daily operations. we lose Props which is a HUGE advantage for our program against the other AAC schools. Memphis has a budget nearly double our's. ECU's is over $10 mil more. the Prop program doesn't make or break our team, but it evens things out more when compared to the budgets. move to the AAC and we have no Prop advantage and easily the lowest budget in the conference. nobody likes to talk about it, but we never were anything more than a middle of the pack team in CUSA until the schools with twice the resources left. yes, we had a shitbag of a coach, but he also had the honor of playing our hardest rated schedules (by far) during his tenure. as a football fan i'm all in for the AAC. as a realist, i think our leaders have other plans...
I agree andy, one thing is for sure though. Its a catch 22 no matter what we do. If we stay here we can continue to be in the top of the conference and play for the BCS slot. Also if we stay here we will always lose the battle going head to head with whoever is leading the AAC and even the MW. Its almost the equivalent of us with one loss versus them with 3 to make us equal in standing, and its all due to our conference schedule. We move to AAC and roll the dice, we could lose out, we could compete with the best, its a big unknown. We have always been behind the 8 ball regarding our budget vs. peer conference members no matter what conference we have been in. We aren't the top in CUSA now. BUT all that said, if we lose the ability to pull in high caliber athletes due to a no prop rule, I think it would hurt us. To be fair, it looks like it may have hurt ECU a bit, no disrespect intended. The only few programs that would help raise our attendance to counter a budget difference would be Navy, maybe ECU, maybe UConn (assuming UC is going to B12 and maybe UH). The others I don't think would help much. Its really hard to gauge what attendance can be considering our time with them before was with a terrible coach and losing seasons. He really did cost us many close games (remember the USM and UCF fiascos?) and responsible for one of the worst seasons in a long time in 2007 (ironically a year we beat ECU and lose to NH). So a good question would be, if we compete for a bowl every year against our former conference rivals, but actually win our share of games versus the past, would attendance make an upward trend, bring in more money? Just a lot of unknowns and a hard decision to make in the simplest terms.

Reactions: HerdFan73
good points portico.

if we aren't asked that's one thing, if we are invited and consider not going....I honestly don't see how we can afford not to go. I think the recruiting boost of AAC and espn would offset props. I can live with staying in CUSA depending on who we are left with....I really don't want to see So Miss move on without us or mtsu/wku.
very much agree, I have said that before, I do not want to be in CUSA without USM, don't really care about WKU or MT though

Quite a few off the top of my head: Keion Davis, Deon-Tay McManus, Gary Thompson, Nyquan Harris, Jason Smith, Rodney Allen, Channing Hames, Frankie Hernandez & Trammel Carey.

Add in the stud NQs we took this year like Darius Owen and JaQuan Yulee and the number is pretty large.

Here is what I came up with. I could be off and there are what 4-5 sitting out this year?

NQ total roster = 15 give or take.

NQ in two deep - I have 6 with a concentration in the Dline. My number is low as I didn't include the following in two deep - so I'm thinking about 10 in two deep as a guestimate.

K Davis and Pittman - one will likely be in the two deep unless Anderson get in.
Choc Wilson - didn't know
T Carey - I believe he will be in two deep but don't know
G. Davis - don't know
L Carn - maybe but don't know.
C Hames - I didn't include him but he may be in.
Charkie. Johnson - didn't know.

I agree andy, one thing is for sure though. Its a catch 22 no matter what we do. If we stay here we can continue to be in the top of the conference and play for the BCS slot. Also if we stay here we will always lose the battle going head to head with whoever is leading the AAC and even the MW. Its almost the equivalent of us with one loss versus them with 3 to make us equal in standing, and its all due to our conference schedule. We move to AAC and roll the dice, we could lose out, we could compete with the best, its a big unknown. We have always been behind the 8 ball regarding our budget vs. peer conference members no matter what conference we have been in. We aren't the top in CUSA now. BUT all that said, if we lose the ability to pull in high caliber athletes due to a no prop rule, I think it would hurt us. To be fair, it looks like it may have hurt ECU a bit, no disrespect intended. The only few programs that would help raise our attendance to counter a budget difference would be Navy, maybe ECU, maybe UConn (assuming UC is going to B12 and maybe UH). The others I don't think would help much. Its really hard to gauge what attendance can be considering our time with them before was with a terrible coach and losing seasons. He really did cost us many close games (remember the USM and UCF fiascos?) and responsible for one of the worst seasons in a long time in 2007 (ironically a year we beat ECU and lose to NH). So a good question would be, if we compete for a bowl every year against our former conference rivals, but actually win our share of games versus the past, would attendance make an upward trend, bring in more money? Just a lot of unknowns and a hard decision to make in the simplest terms.

i agree with just about all of that. one thing to note, however, is our HUGE improvement in OOC scheduling. we were 11-0 in 2014 and ranked 1 spot behind 9-2 Boise. our 2014 OOC wins were Miami (OH), Rhode Island, Ohio, and Akron. Boise had wins over Colorado St, UConn, and BYU. they also played #19 Ole Miss. had we not lost the very next week (and ran the table) we would have certainly jumped them and played in the Access Bowl. now throw out the MAC OOC schedule and add wins over Louisville and Pitt. the only team that keeps an unbeaten Marshall out this year would be an unbeaten Houston (as they should).

i agree with just about all of that. one thing to note, however, is our HUGE improvement in OOC scheduling. we were 11-0 in 2014 and ranked 1 spot behind 9-2 Boise. our 2014 OOC wins were Miami (OH), Rhode Island, Ohio, and Akron. Boise had wins over Colorado St, UConn, and BYU. they also played #19 Ole Miss. had we not lost the very next week (and ran the table) we would have certainly jumped them and played in the Access Bowl. now throw out the MAC OOC schedule and add wins over Louisville and Pitt. the only team that keeps an unbeaten Marshall out this year would be an unbeaten Houston (as they should).
Agree to the fullest extent. It was as sad set of circumstances that made it extra hard that year to get ahead of a 2 loss BSU and there were a few arguments on whether a 2 or 3 loss AAC team would be ahead of us. It seemed through projection that Boise was going to get the go ahead before us no matter what we did because of our schedule, and really we would have not had a good argument against that, even though we felt our team was better, the schedule just wasn't there to prove it. If we luck up and win both UL and Pitt, and don't lose another game (not likely, I know), and Houston didn't lose, they'd would get in over us definitely but its not impossible for them to get in the playoff with wins of Oklahoma and UL. If that was to happen (again not likely but not impossible), it would leave the BCS game up for grabs for the runner up of the G5. If we did our part that could very well be us.

I still think if we beat wku (quality win) we pass Boise in 2014.

Most years(not 2014 as schedule was weak weak weak), I think as a general rule if we tie an AAC or MW team they get the Access bid, if we are one game better I like our odds to get access bid if we are one game ahead with two P5 wins

Agree to the fullest extent. It was as sad set of circumstances that made it extra hard that year to get ahead of a 2 loss BSU and there were a few arguments on whether a 2 or 3 loss AAC team would be ahead of us. It seemed through projection that Boise was going to get the go ahead before us no matter what we did because of our schedule, and really we would have not had a good argument against that, even though we felt our team was better, the schedule just wasn't there to prove it. If we luck up and win both UL and Pitt, and don't lose another game (not likely, I know), and Houston didn't lose, they'd would get in over us definitely but its not impossible for them to get in the playoff with wins of Oklahoma and UL. If that was to happen (again not likely but not impossible), it would leave the BCS game up for grabs for the runner up of the G5. If we did our part that could very well be us.

our best interests aside, i hope Houston runs the table and crashes the playoff party. unless there are 4 unbeaten P5's at the end of the season i don't see how they could be left out. as i said in the other thread, if that happens expect some kind of "emergency" altercation to the playoff system to make it 6 teams.

I'm not saying WVU is ohio state- I'm trying to explain to you why the series doesn't happen annually. Do Pitt and Marshall have an ANNUAL home and home? No! WVU played in Huntington twice, and won both, and won all 10 at WVU. They don't want to play every year so Marshall can hold onto that glimmer of hope that some day they will get that victory.

Let me ask you a serious question- if they scheduled a 5 game series and you knew for a fact Marshall's record would be exactly 1-4, would you want that series?
I have never seen a hilljack try to back his tit out of a wringer as much as this one. "Well that wasn't what I was saying" turns up more than in a Killery interview.

our best interests aside, i hope Houston runs the table and crashes the playoff party. unless there are 4 unbeaten P5's at the end of the season i don't see how they could be left out. as i said in the other thread, if that happens expect some kind of "emergency" altercation to the playoff system to make it 6 teams.
That's what I hope as well, that's how the BCS G5 exclusion got changed in the past, and of course the threat of legal and congressional action. As long as a committee made up of mostly P5 folks exists to pick and choose who they want in the playoff by being in control of the ranking structure, its going to be hard for G5 to make it in the playoff, much like the old bowl system used to be, see our undefeated season before the BCS era. and Tulane.

Reactions: Elkview
I still think if we beat wku (quality win) we pass Boise in 2014.

Most years(not 2014 as schedule was weak weak weak), I think as a general rule if we tie an AAC or MW team they get the Access bid, if we are one game better I like our odds to get access bid if we are one game ahead with two P5 wins

all of the so called "experts" had us moving ahead of them at 13-0. we both made our first appearance in the CFP poll in week 11. they were #22 and we were #23. from that point on we would have had wins over WKU and La Tech in the CUSA championship. both quality. they had wins over Utah State (9-4) and Fresno (6-8).

Reactions: 19MU88
Dude it's time to move on. I'm not going to give you personal information. Did you get picked last at kickball a lot?

This thread has obviously run its course
Right. A person can be identified by stating classes and locations. You arent not just a hilljack troll, you are by far the most chicken crap one that has been on here. Please stay away stupid.

You're still trying to pretend you're a student? OMG

Watch how easy this is:
PSY 311 in Harris
CMM 345 in Smith
CMM 303 in Smith
HST 101 (schedule filler) in Smith
ANT 202 Online
HST 440 Online

I gave my schedule and didn't give any personal info about myself.

can't afford to go or can't afford not to go...........that may be the real question
Well if you consider a few things, like if USM is going too, I don't think we can afford not to go. Let our program decay in a sunbeltish conference that we didn't sign up for or get back to the conference that we did sign up for. I dunno, just hard to imagine that we have done our time, spent money on projects to further our program and then get to watch it dwindle.....

Fever wrote "Well the president just green light Marshall promoting to the AAC"
What am I missing here Fever?

Well if you consider a few things, like if USM is going too, I don't think we can afford not to go. Let our program decay in a sunbeltish conference that we didn't sign up for or get back to the conference that we did sign up for. I dunno, just hard to imagine that we have done our time, spent money on projects to further our program and then get to watch it dwindle.....
I don't disagree but we don't have the money. If we could triple or at least double the BG enrollment, we would be in the ball park.

Reactions: beefcake0520
Herdmeister Big Green has been trying to increase in size for several years now and have had some success. They just have to keep trying. Not sure what else they can do. Seems like the appeal is not to current students or recent grads and IMO that is who BG needs to be approaching.

Reactions: Herd Fever
I don't disagree but we don't have the money. If we could triple or at least double the BG enrollment, we would be in the ball park.
That's true, but for arguments sake, I don't think the president would green light promoting to the AAC if we didn't have a way to get it. JMHO. We do need to grow our budget, that is for sure. On the flip side of things, most other schools are worse off than we are, USM for example, La Tech as well. ODU can probably find the money BUT they are behind the 8 ball in too many areas, like getting the stadium built etc.

Fever wrote "Well the president just green light Marshall promoting to the AAC"
What am I missing here Fever?
It was in one of these thread, an article written about the new pres. liking the academic side of the AAC and giving the green light to produce a video promoting Marshall to the AAC. If you have facebook, look up "marshall to the AAC" page and its on there.

It was in one of these thread, an article written about the new pres. liking the academic side of the AAC and giving the green light to produce a video promoting Marshall to the AAC. If you have facebook, look up "marshall to the AAC" page and its on there.
Its in the herd insider magazine

That's true, but for arguments sake, I don't think the president would green light promoting to the AAC if we didn't have a way to get it. JMHO. We do need to grow our budget, that is for sure. On the flip side of things, most other schools are worse off than we are, USM for example, La Tech as well. ODU can probably find the money BUT they are behind the 8 ball in too many areas, like getting the stadium built etc.
Usm is not behind. We have the facilities,brand, for football and our AD has been promoting us for a step up. Looks as if we are off to another good start this year. We will be a prime candidate for AAC. It would be great if Usm and Marshall made a move together, but not likely.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Usm is not behind. We have the facilities,brand, for football and our AD has been promoting us for a step up. Looks as if we are off to another good start this year. We will be a prime candidate for AAC. It would be great if Usm and Marshall made a move together, but not likely.

I think it's very likely

Reactions: Larryseagle
Was referring to money, you guys have good facilities. We both belong in the aac.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT