ADVERTISEMENT

AAC waiting for the call...

Herd Insider

Green Buffalo
Dec 29, 2013
The AAC is expecting a call from Marshall that it is interested in joining if some of AAC teams go to B12. Other teams have made the call....but not Marshall. Hmmmmm.

Herd Insider posted the "AAC is expecting a call" from Marshall! Says who? Provide some facts/link. I myself would be shocked if our AD and administration does this. On the other hand I hope our new President - Dr. Gilbert, is in favor of making that move. CUSA is a dead end for us at this point IMO.

We are not going to make it into the P5/P4 (P4 is where it is all going IMO B12 is going to get booted and indi's going to have to choose - 4 16 team conferences) When that happens in a couple years then the rest scramble to reorganize. Why spend a crapload of money to move right now when everything is completely going to change in a soon. all the rest of us are going to restructure everything, so wait. Because the rest are going to fall apart and be reset in regional conferences. Suck it up for now cause we are going to be in the group of also rans. Anyone who thinks we will be included in the "P" division is nuts. Wait and see what happens. We will be one of the top schools in the almost made it group and will be part of the upper end of the also rans which gives some stroke to desicions(sp).

so to get to 4 16 team conf there are an add of 10 teams

2 teams to all but the pac 12 which adds 4.

PAC12 adds BYU and 3 from big 12. KU and Kst and either TX tech, Baylor or TCU
SEC adds OU and UT
Big10(LOL) adds ND and prolly Iowa state (only due to location or maybe OSU)
ACC who knows. Most likely Baylor and TCU (due to the school focus).

WVU is only in the mix for ACC, just don't think they would be the choice as their school does not mesh with the other schools in the ACC -- Baylor and TCU are much more like the schools in the ACC. B10 and SEC HELL NO, Pac12 too far away.

all the rest are left to reorganize. 12 team confs or 16 team. I would think get in with the 12 best schools and move on.

Division 1
WVU
Marshall
ECU
UCF
USF
Southern Miss(or WKY)

Div 2

WKY(or Southern Miss)
LA Tech
Houston
Pick 3 more for west

Reactions: herdfan429
We are not going to make it into the P5/P4 (P4 is where it is all going IMO B12 is going to get booted and indi's going to have to choose - 4 16 team conferences) When that happens in a couple years then the rest scramble to reorganize. Why spend a crapload of money to move right now when everything is completely going to change in a soon. all the rest of us are going to restructure everything, so wait. Because the rest are going to fall apart and be reset in regional conferences. Suck it up for now cause we are going to be in the group of also rans. Anyone who thinks we will be included in the "P" division is nuts. Wait and see what happens. We will be one of the top schools in the almost made it group and will be part of the upper end of the also rans which gives some stroke to desicions(sp).

SEC adds OU and UT

WVU is only in the mix for ACC, just don't think they would be the choice as their school does not mesh with the other schools in the ACC -- Baylor and TCU are much more like the schools in the ACC. B10 and SEC HELL NO, Pac12 too far away.

all the rest are left to reorganize. 12 team confs or 16 team. I would think get in with the 12 best schools and move on.

Division 1
WVU
Marshall
ECU
UCF
USF
Southern Miss(or WKY)

Div 2

WKY(or Southern Miss)
LA Tech
Houston
Pick 3 more for west

Lol awesome

After building the best IAF in college football along with a full academics and medical training center are you all inferring Mike Hamrick is not wise enough to have irons in the fire?

That's as stupid as thinking MIFART will ever be considered for the ACC.

But he's the one with the budget, and if you look at exit costs, entrance costs, bowl payout and TV contracts it might not be as significant as one might think.

I do see a realignment realignment coming in 5 years. There were be a Top 40 SEC ACC PAC 12 playoff and everyone else will go to more suitable geographic conference. Getting pounded as a bottom can only last so long.

Reactions: The Real SamC

SEC adds OU and UT

Division 1
WVU
Marshall
ECU
UCF
USF
Southern Miss(or WKY)

Div 2

WKY(or Southern Miss)
LA Tech
Houston
Pick 3 more for west
I agree that there is going to be a major change when the Big 12 goes away and there are 4 16 team leagues. Nothing else will really matter. It may then come to be that the G5 or whatever it will be, will become more regional conferences again. I hope so.

SEC adds OU and UT

Division 1
WVU
Marshall
ECU
UCF
USF
Southern Miss(or WKY)

Div 2

WKY(or Southern Miss)
LA Tech
Houston
Pick 3 more for west

WVU is not getting left out of realignment. If the four conference merge happens they'll end up in the ACC. Louisville is already a member and they share a very similar academic profile to WVU, so that argument doesn't hold much water any longer.

We may all hate WVU, but we need to accept that they're still a high enough profile team/school to merit P5 inclusion. Not SEC inclusion, but ACC and Big 12 for sure.

Back to topic, if the American is just sitting around waiting for a call from Hammy and Gilbert, I'll go ahead and start dialing. C-USA is a death trap.

I have a feeling MH has put feelers out. I also think he and the MU brass have huge reservations about moving due to cost and trying to increase our athletic budget.
Also, they need to consider the big picture and all sports even though football drives this train.
Lastly, while we may not want to admit it or not, if we go to the AAC, chances are our win total each year will dip in football.
They have to gauge if fans see that as a huge negative and possibly not attend games as a result.
Personally, I think the perceived better competition in the AAC will or could increase attendance.
Bottom line, I doubt we move even if given the chance. $$$$ will be the killer. Jmo.

WVU is not getting left out of realignment. If the four conference merge happens they'll end up in the ACC.

EVERY major conference realignment has featured winners and losers. Teams moving up and down between the informal levels that define DI, either of their own choosing or not. The next one will as well. The automatic assumption that, IF the next realignment is a disolution of the Big 12 that every one of the teams will be parcelled out among the remaining 4 is not supportable. Expecially considering that two of the 8 (WVU and TCU) just joined the true major ranks in the last realignment just a few years ago; at LEAST one is in deep ethical and NCAA dodo (Baylor) and the pointless field filler status of the rest.

The BIG question is will the next realignment be what ESPN, et al, have always wanted, which is 20 to 30 big time programs, or will SOME of the Little 8 get selected to join other leagues, because not all will, or will it just be a few fanless AAC teams becoming field fillers in the Big 12.

Relative to Marshall, which is what matters, if the first scenario is true then we and WVU are in, no matter what they call it, are in the second division, and we need to make sure we end up in a good of a geographical arangement as we can be. If the second is true, then we need to keep on our toes, because new G5 level leagues including some of the leftovers from the Little 8 will be forming. Easily could see some of the Little 8 leftovers, some CUSA and some AAC Texas froming a league. If the last scenario is true, then we need to understand that you don't "call" a conference office and ask to join. These people all know each other and it is a much more complex deal than applying to work at the post office. IF (IF, IF, IF, it may not happen) the AAC has two teams become field fillers in the Big 12, then we need to see IF the remnant AAC is in any way better than CUSA 3.0. Understanding that ALL G5 TV deals will be similar to CUSA' s current one, and the esentually fanless nature of most of the MAC and most of the AAC.

MH has it under control.

In a 64 team alignment WVU is not getting left out. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just flat out naive to sports and just has hate blinders on. The BEST scenario is 5 major conferences of 16 each, which I have also read is possible. As long as there is money, which there IS, the big 12 is not dissolving.

EVERY major conference realignment has featured winners and losers. Teams moving up and down between the informal levels that define DI, either of their own choosing or not. The next one will as well. The automatic assumption that, IF the next realignment is a disolution of the Big 12 that every one of the teams will be parcelled out among the remaining 4 is not supportable. Expecially considering that two of the 8 (WVU and TCU) just joined the true major ranks in the last realignment just a few years ago; at LEAST one is in deep ethical and NCAA dodo (Baylor) and the pointless field filler status of the rest.

The BIG question is will the next realignment be what ESPN, et al, have always wanted, which is 20 to 30 big time programs, or will SOME of the Little 8 get selected to join other leagues, because not all will, or will it just be a few fanless AAC teams becoming field fillers in the Big 12.

Relative to Marshall, which is what matters, if the first scenario is true then we and WVU are in, no matter what they call it, are in the second division, and we need to make sure we end up in a good of a geographical arangement as we can be. If the second is true, then we need to keep on our toes, because new G5 level leagues including some of the leftovers from the Little 8 will be forming. Easily could see some of the Little 8 leftovers, some CUSA and some AAC Texas froming a league. If the last scenario is true, then we need to understand that you don't "call" a conference office and ask to join. These people all know each other and it is a much more complex deal than applying to work at the post office. IF (IF, IF, IF, it may not happen) the AAC has two teams become field fillers in the Big 12, then we need to see IF the remnant AAC is in any way better than CUSA 3.0. Understanding that ALL G5 TV deals will be similar to CUSA' s current one, and the esentually fanless nature of most of the MAC and most of the AAC.

MH has it under control.

My guess is that there is only one place in the entire nation that would declare that WVU would be left out. And in that one place, only one or two people who would float such a notion.

I have a feeling MH has put feelers out. I also think he and the MU brass have huge reservations about moving due to cost and trying to increase our athletic budget.
Also, they need to consider the big picture and all sports even though football drives this train.
Lastly, while we may not want to admit it or not, if we go to the AAC, chances are our win total each year will dip in football.
They have to gauge if fans see that as a huge negative and possibly not attend games as a result.
Personally, I think the perceived better competition in the AAC will or could increase attendance.
Bottom line, I doubt we move even if given the chance. $$$$ will be the killer. Jmo.
I think you are correct. The only reason we didn't see a jump in attendance in CUSA 2.0 was due to the horrid Snyder years. Even with those terrible years we held steady around 26K attendance. If we had been more competitive and been bowling more I honestly do believe we would have been closer to 30K in attendance. Is it enough to make a move? I dunno, there is a lot of cost to be offset in making the move. If the AAC really wanted us and wanted to work with us on entrance fees, it could be possible, but if they don't want to, we'd have to have yet another huge donation to do another conference move like last time.

All speculation. Back to the original post that the "AAC is waiting on a call from Marshall." I doubt it BUT I really hope so. As I said CUSA is a dead end athletically for Marshall - IMO.

All speculation. Back to the original post that the "AAC is waiting on a call from Marshall." I doubt it BUT I really hope so. As I said CUSA is a dead end athletically for Marshall - IMO.
I don't doubt or maintain any posture on it. I always hated when someone asks for a link over something argumentative, but in this case I would love to see something other than a post stating what the OP stated. Agreed, CUSA is Sunbelt 2.0, not unlike the MAC when we left it. I "hope" this is true and hope we have the ability to do it. I think we can compete just fine now with those teams with Holiday at the helm. I know some cringe at the thought of being with those teams again but one needs to understand how crappy our program was while we were with them. We did just fine against a good portion of them in 2013 before CUSA was completely turned upside down.

My guess is that there is only one place in the entire nation that would declare that WVU would be left out. And in that one place, only one or two people who would float such a notion.

Well, I'll be the second, or maybe third.

I think the consensus is that the impetuous that would lead to a P4 would start with Texas and Oklahoma wanting to better their situation. That means the Big 12 would be the conference getting picked apart to get the other 4 to 16. So let's focus on looking at the Big 12 and the spots available.

This would be available:

Big 10 - 2
SEC - 2
ACC - 2
Pac 12 - 4

So the easy thing to say is "10 spots, 10 teams in the Big 12", but that's inaccurate. Notre Dame will get one of the spots, probably going to the ACC in full even though the Big 10 will push very hard for them. Let's assume they go ACC. So now you have 9 spots and 10 teams. But wait, the Big 12 is in the process of expanding by 2-4 teams, so you would actually have 9 spots for 12-14 teams, and this is why wvu should be firmly against Big 12 expansion.

So let's look at the candidates.

Texas - will definitely end up in the P4, Big 10 or SEC. Down to 8 spots.
Oklahoma - will definitely end up in the P4, Big 10 or SEC. Down to 7 spots.

So 7 spots for 10 or 12 teams, but now you only have 3 spots east of the Mississippi and 4 spots in the Pac 12. My guess is that Texas and Oklahoma will get the opportunity to choose an acceptable travel partner to join their selected conference with them. Neither are taking wvu in that role, so you are really down to one eastern spot, the 16th spot in the ACC.

So who's competing for the ACC spot, which is probably going with a non Texas team:

Of course you have wvu. You guys know them, so no reason to discuss.

Kansas - ACC loves them some basketball and this would be a chance to pick up a premier program, top 3 all time. Also an AAU school.

Likely expansion candidate Cincinnati. wvu fans will laugh at this, but Louisville will like having them more than wvu. Better academics, and they will have spent the last 8 years in the Big 12, legitimizing and growing their FB and BB program, if they are the expansion choice and assuming this blows up when GOR runs out in the Big 12.

If I'm wvu I am nervous against going head to head against those two for the final golden ticket (or the only alternative being begging for a PAC 12 spot).

I didn't say they WOULD be left out of ACC, just that I don't think WVU will be the choice.

50/50 shot at best IMO. 0% shot at the other 3 (B10, SEC, and PAC12).

If the one conf needing 4 spots was ACC, SEC, or B10 instead of the PAC12 then
WVU would most likely be in due to the geographic number of schools needing to be in.

LOL! MIFART is NEVER getting into the ACC. The ACC isn't risking drunken hillbillys ruining the image they've built.

Yes MIFART will make a 64 team power conference alignment, there has to be a bottom to pound, they will be the bottom . I think Holgs likes it as a bottom.

Actually I look for MIFART to have a decent season and save crotchbillys job. They are playing teams we've all played and beaten and Missori is in a down spin of epic proportions. They should start 5-0 easily.

LOL! MIFART is NEVER getting into the ACC. The ACC isn't risking drunken hillbillys ruining the image they've built.

Yes MIFART will make a 64 team power conference alignment, there has to be a bottom to pound, they will be the bottom . I think Holgs likes it as a bottom.

Actually I look for MIFART to have a decent season and save crotchbillys job. They are playing teams we've all played and beaten and Missori is in a down spin of epic proportions. They should start 5-0 easily.

LOL?

So where will WVU end up? I assume you're saying the SEC because there's zero chance it's the Big 10 or Pac 12.

SEC adds OU and UT

Division 1
WVU
Marshall
ECU
UCF
USF
Southern Miss(or WKY)

Div 2

WKY(or Southern Miss)
LA Tech
Houston
Pick 3 more for west

BYU or any religious institution will never be in the Pac-12. UT, Texas Tech will end up in the Pac-12. The Question will be will Oklahoma and Oklahoma State join them or head to the SEC.

When it is all said and done there will be 6-16 team conferences(ACC, AAC, Big 10, SEC, PAC-16, Mountain West) and 2 14 team conferences(MAC, CUSA)

Ugh, if we got rolled into some stupid conference like that I'd quit watching football. I'm almost at that point now. Aside from a few games a season I don't get near as excited as I used to.

BYU or any religious institution will never be in the Pac-12. UT, Texas Tech will end up in the Pac-12. The Question will be will Oklahoma and Oklahoma State join them or head to the SEC.

When it is all said and done there will be 6-16 team conferences(ACC, AAC, Big 10, SEC, PAC-16, Mountain West) and 2 14 team conferences(MAC, CUSA)
I think there will be 4 16 team conferences in what will be the P4. (64 teams) Then all others in the G5.

So where will WVU end up? I assume you're saying the SEC because there's zero chance it's the Big 10 or Pac 12.

WVU to the SEC is so laughable as to be rediculious.

The same reasons that caused WVU to be rejected by the SEC and ACC remain true. Whether you analyize it by on-field performance, fanbase, market size, academics, or any other criteria other than "usens is good, usens is rat there with that there Alerbamer and like that" Spamite idiocy WVU is no where near the level of being in a group of the top 64 teams. And even that assumes a 64 team set up. It will probably be more like 25 to 30. Everybody else ends up in, whatever they call it, the second division.

WVU's short dabble at the true major level will be over if/when the Big 12 implodes.

The challenge for Marshall is what conference grouping we end up in and how to market what will again be labeled as the second division.

We will be fine. Our program is not built on delusional agrandizement that we are at some level far above reality. Living in the real world is part of being a Marshall fan.

Appears we have a shot at AAC, 1 opening , if we get it I'm happy, if we don't get it, I'm happy.

I'm always bleeding Kelly green.
If its just one opening, I don't see it being us. I figure old time conference mates of USM would want to reunite with them first, hope I am wrong.

Southern Miss' biggest issue in a realignment situation will be their issues with turnover/turmoil in both the university president and athletic department positions. They seem to have righted the boat, but man they went off the reservation for about three years and set themselves back majorly.

WVU is no where near the level of being in a group of the top 64 teams.
Are you saying that there are at least 64 schools with better profiles than WVU? Really? I'd like to see your list. I agree with you that WVU wouldn't even be in the discussion if they go with the top 25-30, but 64? C'mon. If they truly base their selections on the Top 64 overall resumes, then WVU makes the cut with ease.

I know you don't agree, but if WVU gets left out and schools like Wake Forest, Iowa State, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Washington State, Northwestern, and so on are left in, then something is terribly wrong with the selection process.

Pac-16

North
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
Utah
Colorado

South
USA