ADVERTISEMENT

AAC waiting for the call...

I have a feeling MH has put feelers out. I also think he and the MU brass have huge reservations about moving due to cost and trying to increase our athletic budget.
Also, they need to consider the big picture and all sports even though football drives this train.
Lastly, while we may not want to admit it or not, if we go to the AAC, chances are our win total each year will dip in football.
They have to gauge if fans see that as a huge negative and possibly not attend games as a result.
Personally, I think the perceived better competition in the AAC will or could increase attendance.
Bottom line, I doubt we move even if given the chance. $$$$ will be the killer. Jmo.

I believe you underestimate Doc's ability to recruit the players needed to make us one of that conferences best programs. I do agree though that the increased dollars needed overall may put a damper on any potential move to the AAC.

Reactions: beefcake0520
Are you saying that there are at least 64 schools with better profiles than WVU? Really? I'd like to see your list. I agree with you that WVU wouldn't even be in the discussion if they go with the top 25-30, but 64? C'mon. If they truly base their selections on the Top 64 overall resumes, then WVU makes the cut with ease.

I know you don't agree, but if WVU gets left out and schools like Wake Forest, Iowa State, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Washington State, Northwestern, and so on are left in, then something is terribly wrong with the selection process.

Sam the Sham has created a phantasmogorical narrative about WVU in his mind that only Bradbury or Poe could imagine.

For instance, he persists that we WVU fans regard our programs as equal to or superior to the truly elite. He recites that canard as an article of faith in his creation. Apparently it propels him into other fever swamp assertions. Regardless, nothing could be further from the truth.

We try, we aspire, but reality generally arises to put us into our place.

Even with that reality sometimes things go well.

The improbable Sugar Bowl, the redemptive Fiesta Bowl, and the incredible Orange Bowl.

All that aside, maybe Sammi can help us to understand why we won't be amongst that final 64.

Reactions: rocket766
also some things to consider...

no props in the AAC
our "total revenue" as reported by USA Today for athletic budgets is currently 10th out of 13 CUSA schools at $27 mil. in the AAC (of the 7 public schools reported) we would be dead last. and not just last but $16 mil behind the next school ($43 mil)...

ACC

North
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
WVU
BC
UVA
Louisville
WVU
VT

South
UNC
NC State
Wake
Duke
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

IF, IF this line-up came to pass it will not be in the configuration you've presented. FSU and Miami will never be placed in the same division and the cheaters will not be placed in a division that includes FSU, Clemson, and Miami. Switch Duke and the cheats with VT and WVU, also you have WV listed twice, plug ND in for one of those slots. Duke and cheaterhill will be in the same division as ND. That said I certainly appreciate the time you spent organizing the lists.

Pac-16

North
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
Utah
Colorado

South
USA
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

That South division has the chance to be brutally tough.

no props in the AAC
our "total revenue" as reported by USA Today for athletic budgets is currently 10th out of 13 CUSA schools at $27 mil. in the AAC (of the 7 public schools reported) we would be dead last. and not just last but $16 mil behind the next school ($43 mil)...
That's true. Something also to consider though, our athletic budget grew big time when we made the jump to CUSA. So is it really an issue? Could it not grow more if put in a better situation? Like it did going from the MAC to CUSA http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...cle_c5f01812-4b3c-5d17-9b3c-185599acb04d.html

I think the biggest hurdle would be entrance and exit fees, if I am not mistaken we had a large donation to cover our cost last time, any possibility another such donation could be made.........

Mountain West

Mountain
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Colorado State
Wyoming
Rice
UTEP
Air Force

Pacific
Boise State
BYU
Utah State
Fresno State
San Jose State
San Diego State
Hawaii
New Mexico

There is absolutely zero change that Kansas gets left out of a power conference as they have a top-2 or 3 basketball program.

no props in the AAC

True, but how far are we actually behind for football and basketball? I venture to say that in most cases we are close to those schools--especially in football.

That's true. Something also to consider though, our athletic budget grew big time when we made the jump to CUSA. So is it really an issue? Could it not grow more if put in a better situation? Like it did going from the MAC to CUSA http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...cle_c5f01812-4b3c-5d17-9b3c-185599acb04d.html

I think the biggest hurdle would be entrance and exit fees, if I am not mistaken we had a large donation to cover our cost last time, any possibility another such donation could be made.........

we were this far behind those schools in 2011 when CUSA was still intact. in 2011 we were at $27.4 mil ahead of only UAB and USM. the closest current AAC school to us in 2011 was ECU at $34 mil.

going from CUSA to CUSA .5 and then back to CUSA (AAC) is not going to make a significant impact on our revenue. it will be more, but we will basically be put right back into the same position we were in back in 2011...

and to be clear, i'm all for getting out of this dumpster fire conference we are in. i'm just trying to be realistic and point out some big problems we would have moving forward.

There is absolutely zero change that Kansas gets left out of a power conference as they have a top-2 or 3 basketball program.

Basketball doesn't run things at all

Also thanks for pointing that out about WVU. Remove the second WVU and put in UCONN. Then remove UCONN from the Big 10, move Purdue from the West to the East and put Kansas in their slot.

we were this far behind those schools in 2011 when CUSA was still intact. in 2011 we were at $27.4 mil ahead of only UAB and USM. the closest current AAC school to us in 2011 was ECU at $34 mil.

going from CUSA to CUSA .5 and then back to CUSA (AAC) is not going to make a significant impact on our revenue. it will be more, but we will basically be put right back into the same position we were in back in 2011...
That's true, I do not disagree with what you are saying. My only point was we could meet at least the lower end of their budgets like we had to do when we made the move to CUSA 2.0. We would never be able to blow money like Memphis or the like. Whether or not that means we are less competitive is extremely debatable. I know it seems like there was correlation between our budget and our sucky times in CUSA, but I don't think that at all. Mr. Snyder had 99% to do with the sucky time, along with an AD who didn't care and made terrible hires or at least had something to do with them. We were middle of the pack in the MAC as well with our budget, didn't stop us from doing what we did to them. All I am saying is budget isn't everything, it might mean more as far as Olympic sport funding but much less in men's basketball and football, where 90% or more of the funds get sent to and is generated from. If we can get up to the lower portion of the AAC in budget, I think we'd be just fine. Then again we aren't subsidizing like crazy either like a lot of the AAC school and many CUSA schools are doing.

Are you saying that there are at least 64 schools with better profiles than WVU? Really?

Yes.

I understand that a major reason for the non-alumni WVU fans fixation upon us is that but for us, WV would pretty much be a giant circle jerk where the idiocy that the lapdog media spews out is just repeated back and forth between you all without challenge. We are the only ones that really understand. Reality can be hard.

First, you can forget about all the this and that State or Tech. Fact is a lot of states (like every one of them) are run a lot better than WV is. And a part of that is that the two schools in the state are not at each other's throat. Often the U and State/Tech divide is based on the divide between things like law and medicine and things like ag and engineering. The two schools are a package. That is why OU did not go to the SEC, because of OSU, and it is why Syracuse was dumped for VPI when the ACC expanded in the 90s. So you can just forget about trying to cull out the weaker of two schools in a pair like Oregon's or Washington's or North Carolina's. It is not happening.

dshoe is not wrong when he points out that markets matter. I disagree with his devotion to the old time ESPN idea that IN and SIGNIFICANT IN are the same and can be a basis in the new alacarte era for forcing people to pay for channels they have no interest in, but he is right that markets matter.

West Virginia is the smallest state with a P5 team. Fact. In fact there are only 3 I-A programs in smaller states. ESPN's Boise State, which is a discussion for another day, and Hawaii and Wyoming, which are the only public colleges in their states (and neither of which are setting the world on fire). And the nature of TV means that about 1/3rd of the state gets TV from the big cities of Pittsburgh or Washington, where the WV part is a tiny %age of the whole market and conversely, 1/3rd of the state's only legitmate market (ours) is in KY or OH. Fact. At the end of the day, "everybody" in WV could be the biggest WVU fan there is (they aren't, we have plenty of fans and the EP is filling up with 1000s of new flatlander DC beueaucrats who could care less about WVU) and it means less to ESPN, et al, than what people in a single county in Georgia do. Fact.

And this state is dying. Without coal WV is Vermont with less Volvos and more heroin.

And, and I know that this goes against all the idiocy that you have had spewed at you for a lifetime, reality is WVU has never done anything in sports. In decades of mid-major status (and that is what "your" AD said it was, so take it up with him) WVU had some nice years against soft schedules. Generally to be assreamed by the first really good team they played. Fact. WVU caught some teams who were phoning in their bowl game now and then. But really, WVU is a speck on the ass of college football. WVU not only is not Alabama, it is not Purdue. It isn't even Minnesota. Fact.

And, especially in the ACC, conduct matters. WVU fans cannot behave. Non alumni fans are rednecks. Students are drunk New Jersites. Fact. People do not want to be around you. No one other than other New Jersites likes New Jersites. They are a repelant group. And the ACC still is run by the old schools which are the places where Volvo driving people with sweaters tied around their necks are the norm. They don't like rednecks. They don't want you. Fact.

And, fact is, the WVU fan base, and yes, I know this is hard to believe after a life or listening to Crapridi and reading Vingleberry, is not that big. WVU has played before a lot of empty seats. And, as the newness of the B12 and potentally the ACC or whatever wears off and the futility of year on year of losing set in, it will play before more and more. WVU, despite all the spew, is an average followed program with fairly low ticket and donor level prices and lets every student in free. That is so far below what goes on at the high level it is apples and oranges. And, and I know that Crapridi spews otherwise, he is lying and knows it and I have the courage to tell you the truth, WVU had never "traveled well" to any bowl game. Any bowl would much rather have UK or VPI or Purdue or about anybody you can name. Schools that have more fans, and more fans with M O N E Y.

And, school quality, especially in the ACC, but all over, matters. WVU, sorry, is just another state college in a state with too many state colleges. That is what it is. Fact. That is OK. It is not a "community college" (and neither is Marshall, and WHY do you people, who never went to ANY college, have this desire to go down that particular road) but it is LIGHT YEARS behind most other states' "named for the state" colleges. It just is. Sorry. Most states, partiularly larger ones have a cascade deal where the best and brightest go to one college or one set of colleges divided by ag tech and general or by geography, and other go to lesser ones. WV and WVU just is not that way. It just isn't . Fact. And the powers that be in the ACC or even the SEC (leaving out WVU's total lack of having a chance of ever being competitive in anything ever in the SEC) just do not want to sully themselves by association. They just don't. Fact.

Sorry. Now you can variate my name, or call me a girl, or just yell NO over and over really loudly. Facts are facts. I know you live in a world where recruits were stolen from Auburn and Alabama, where "your" coaches are super-geniuses, where "your" school is really the academic equal of the other DI colleges, and where it has this "special" fan base and all of that. It just is not true.

When the next realignment happens, WVU's most likely result is a return to the mid-major level in a deal similar to the one it had at the mid-major Big East. Fact.

Fact is it never should have left.

Reactions: 19MU88
Yes.

I understand that a major reason for the non-alumni WVU fans fixation upon us is that but for us, WV would pretty much be a giant circle jerk where the idiocy that the lapdog media spews out is just repeated back and forth between you all without challenge. We are the only ones that really understand. Reality can be hard.

First, you can forget about all the this and that State or Tech. Fact is a lot of states (like every one of them) are run a lot better than WV is. And a part of that is that the two schools in the state are not at each other's throat. Often the U and State/Tech divide is based on the divide between things like law and medicine and things like ag and engineering. The two schools are a package. That is why OU did not go to the SEC, because of OSU, and it is why Syracuse was dumped for VPI when the ACC expanded in the 90s. So you can just forget about trying to cull out the weaker of two schools in a pair like Oregon's or Washington's or North Carolina's. It is not happening.

dshoe is not wrong when he points out that markets matter. I disagree with his devotion to the old time ESPN idea that IN and SIGNIFICANT IN are the same and can be a basis in the new alacarte era for forcing people to pay for channels they have no interest in, but he is right that markets matter.

West Virginia is the smallest state with a P5 team. Fact. In fact there are only 3 I-A programs in smaller states. ESPN's Boise State, which is a discussion for another day, and Hawaii and Wyoming, which are the only public colleges in their states (and neither of which are setting the world on fire). And the nature of TV means that about 1/3rd of the state gets TV from the big cities of Pittsburgh or Washington, where the WV part is a tiny %age of the whole market and conversely, 1/3rd of the state's only legitmate market (ours) is in KY or OH. Fact. At the end of the day, "everybody" in WV could be the biggest WVU fan there is (they aren't, we have plenty of fans and the EP is filling up with 1000s of new flatlander DC beueaucrats who could care less about WVU) and it means less to ESPN, et al, than what people in a single county in Georgia do. Fact.

And this state is dying. Without coal WV is Vermont with less Volvos and more heroin.

And, and I know that this goes against all the idiocy that you have had spewed at you for a lifetime, reality is WVU has never done anything in sports. In decades of mid-major status (and that is what "your" AD said it was, so take it up with him) WVU had some nice years against soft schedules. Generally to be assreamed by the first really good team they played. Fact. WVU caught some teams who were phoning in their bowl game now and then. But really, WVU is a speck on the ass of college football. WVU not only is not Alabama, it is not Purdue. It isn't even Minnesota. Fact.

And, especially in the ACC, conduct matters. WVU fans cannot behave. Non alumni fans are rednecks. Students are drunk New Jersites. Fact. People do not want to be around you. No one other than other New Jersites likes New Jersites. They are a repelant group. And the ACC still is run by the old schools which are the places where Volvo driving people with sweaters tied around their necks are the norm. They don't like rednecks. They don't want you. Fact.

And, fact is, the WVU fan base, and yes, I know this is hard to believe after a life or listening to Crapridi and reading Vingleberry, is not that big. WVU has played before a lot of empty seats. And, as the newness of the B12 and potentally the ACC or whatever wears off and the futility of year on year of losing set in, it will play before more and more. WVU, despite all the spew, is an average followed program with fairly low ticket and donor level prices and lets every student in free. That is so far below what goes on at the high level it is apples and oranges. And, and I know that Crapridi spews otherwise, he is lying and knows it and I have the courage to tell you the truth, WVU had never "traveled well" to any bowl game. Any bowl would much rather have UK or VPI or Purdue or about anybody you can name. Schools that have more fans, and more fans with M O N E Y.

And, school quality, especially in the ACC, but all over, matters. WVU, sorry, is just another state college in a state with too many state colleges. That is what it is. Fact. That is OK. It is not a "community college" (and neither is Marshall, and WHY do you people, who never went to ANY college, have this desire to go down that particular road) but it is LIGHT YEARS behind most other states' "named for the state" colleges. It just is. Sorry. Most states, partiularly larger ones have a cascade deal where the best and brightest go to one college or one set of colleges divided by ag tech and general or by geography, and other go to lesser ones. WV and WVU just is not that way. It just isn't . Fact. And the powers that be in the ACC or even the SEC (leaving out WVU's total lack of having a chance of ever being competitive in anything ever in the SEC) just do not want to sully themselves by association. They just don't. Fact.

Sorry. Now you can variate my name, or call me a girl, or just yell NO over and over really loudly. Facts are facts. I know you live in a world where recruits were stolen from Auburn and Alabama, where "your" coaches are super-geniuses, where "your" school is really the academic equal of the other DI colleges, and where it has this "special" fan base and all of that. It just is not true.

When the next realignment happens, WVU's most likely result is a return to the mid-major level in a deal similar to the one it had at the mid-major Big East. Fact.

I admire the dedication you have in believing the nonsense you regularly post.

Kudos to you.

Yes.

Sammi, I'm beginning to think I understand you.

The voices, the visions, well, I understand. Really, I do.

Given that, I'll just sit back and sigh and continue to try to understand.

Basketball doesn't run things at all

Also thanks for pointing that out about WVU. Remove the second WVU and put in UCONN. Then remove UCONN from the Big 10, move Purdue from the West to the East and put Kansas in their slot.

There Big 10 covets Kansas basketball. The KU football team is on part with Rutgers and Maryland and that didn'the affect their invite. Kansas City offers a nice TV market.

There Big 10 covets Kansas basketball. The KU football team is on part with Rutgers and Maryland and that didn'the affect their invite. Kansas City offers a nice TV market.

Saying Kansas Football is on part with Rutgers and Maryland is an embarrassment to those programs. Kansas might be the worst football program in 1A ball. They are on par with Eastern Michigan, Idaho, and ULM

Yes.

What. A. Tard

Reactions: Calieer12
Saying Kansas Football is on part with Rutgers and Maryland is an embarrassment to those programs. Kansas might be the worst football program in 1A ball. They are on par with Eastern Michigan, Idaho, and ULM

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that Kansas was better than Rutgers or Maryland but they are on par. All three suck. Kind of like choosing the tallest pygmy.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that Kansas was better than Rutgers or Maryland but they are on par. All three suck. Kind of like choosing the tallest pygmy.

Kansas football is not "on par" with Maryland or even remotely close to Maryland... ever.

since 2010 (for recent history's sake) Kansas has 12 wins. Maryland has 32. if you go back further it gets MUCH worse for Kansas...

don't try and prop up one of WVU's few winnable (sometimes) games in the Big 12...

12819701.jpg

Kansas football is not "on par" with Maryland or even remotely close to Maryland... ever.

since 2010 (for recent history's sake) Kansas has 12 wins. Maryland has 32. if you go back further it gets MUCH worse for Kansas...

don't try and prop up one of WVU's few winnable (sometimes) games in the Big 12...

12819701.jpg

OK. Let me rephrase this for you. Maryland, Rutgers and Kansas all suck (I know, I already made this point in an earlier post but humor me).

Since you need to put a WVU slant on this--even though WVU used to regularly beat those teams, they are much improved now since they no longer play that team up north.

Kansas is clearly the worst P5 bottom feeder since the program has enjoyed little success since the Jayhawks fired Mark Mangino and they play in the same conference as WVU.

Does that satisfy your requirements?

you don't seem to mind a pro "WVU slant" on everything you post. just trying to even the load here on the WVU board...

and you made jack shit clear before. you said, "they are on par". they are NOT "on par". Kansas is "on par" with Eastern Michigan. Maryland is "on par" with WVU.

Maryland vs WVU (22-28-2)
Maryland in Bowls (11-13-2)
WVU in Bowls (15-19)
Maryland 8 conference championships (7 ACC), 3 Co-champions
WVU 10 conference championships (2 Big East, 8 Southern), 5 co-champions
Maryland 18 "Final" top 25 rankings AP/Coaches (highest #1 in both)
WVU 19 "Final top 25 rankings AP/Coaches (highest #5 in both)
Maryland 1 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
WVU 0

maryland.png
wvu.png

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia_team_index.php

i'll go ahead and leave this here for your "pro WVU" whine about how WVU is worlds away from that "suck" Maryland program...

Last edited:
Pretty much yelling NO over and over. As predicted. Make the mean mean man stop saying those bad things.

Facts are facts. If you don't like reality, I have a deal for all of you Spamites. GO AWAY. Just read the Gagzette, watch Channel 13, and listen to the MetroLose Statewide (sic) Excuse Line. Live in your fantasy world where WVU sports are not taxpayer subsidized, where winning the "Big" East was the same as winning the SEC, where Geno Smith could have played at Alabama and every recruit is a 50 star stolen from a list of schools that actually matter and all of that. You can happily live in your delusional world.

Just GO AWAY. When (not if, when, it happens every year and will happen every year for as long as there is football and basketball, forever) the season ends in failure, just get back in your circle jerk world and talk about next year. Don't go down that "well, "we" (sic) lost again, but Marshall...." Just GO AWAY.

Otherwise your betters are going to just tell you the bitter truth.

Actually I expect the eers to have a great first 6 games, and hopefully the B12 finds them a better bow than the I'm putting a cactus is your arse at 2 am EST last game of a season and nobody is watching.

All teams on their sked Marshall has played away and beaten except Mizzou, which is in an epic meltdown, and should be easily beatable. If they don't start 6-0 Holgerson should be fired, or cut his 11 million down to like 200k or something more in line with his B12 winning record.

Gosh , I think back to that October day so many years ago when then Tommy Tuberville simply told his backers to stay home vs the EERbilly scat backs and the genius was exposed. Ever since then it's been one huge crotch holding meltdown.

Andy- you like to look at all time history when hating on WVU, disregarding the last 20 years with three BCS wins. Yet most of the people on this site seem to ONLY look at Marshall's recent history when they claim their success. Marshall wasn't even an FBS program until the 90s. I love the Herd, but please stop talking out of both sides of your mouth...

this thread brought Stoney out...

somebody just needs to ask for nude pics of a WVU football/basketball coach's daughter to get Rifle in here...

As the priest of the painful eerbilly truth , I expose the eerbilly nation for what the are. Lurking trollbillys read my posts, immediately begin to froth at the logic and truth behind them and are thrown into Xanax overdose status. Herdat has been to see his eerbilly therapist at least 3 times since reading my sermons of it's okay to be a Big 12 bottom if the crotch is held up.

Alert the Morgantown E.R.s there's a a train wreck about to happen of epic proportions and it's called the Holgy crotch rocket meltdown after a home loss to a Mizzou that has no clue, lost their coach to cancer and are expected to finish dead last in the SEC.

Greenhouse, I actually thought your posts were just satire. I had no idea you actually believe what you post... Yikes

Actually I expect the eers to have a great first 6 games, and hopefully the B12 finds them a better bow than the I'm putting a cactus is your arse at 2 am EST last game of a season and nobody is watching.

All teams on their sked Marshall has played away and beaten except Mizzou, which is in an epic meltdown, and should be easily beatable. If they don't start 6-0 Holgerson should be fired, or cut his 11 million down to like 200k or something more in line with his B12 winning record.

Gosh , I think back to that October day so many years ago when then Tommy Tuberville simply told his backers to stay home vs the EERbilly scat backs and the genius was exposed. Ever since then it's been one huge crotch holding meltdown.

Yes, I totally believe you graduated from Marshall.

Totally.

Hey Herd Dat how's your classes going at Marshall? Finding your way around campus? With or without map/compass/GPS?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT