ADVERTISEMENT

AAC waiting for the call...

Can you guys see that you were good when you played in a conference where you only had 1 to 2 big games a year, then you played a hapless Rutgers, went 50/50 with Maryland ( yeah we whipped them too ) UCONN ( yeah we whipped them too) USF etc?
I assume you are referring to the 7-year period (2005-2011) after Miami, BC, and VPI left the Big East and before WVU joined the Big XII. WVU went a little better than 50/50 against Maryland, UConn, and USF (15-4 to be exact). You also left out Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and Cincinnati (who are great teams when Marshall plays them, but are cupcakes when WVU plays them).

WVU's records against the Big East and Maryland during that 7-year period:
Rutgers 7-0
UConn 6-1
Pittsburgh 5-2
Syracuse 5-2
Cincinnati 5-2
Louisville 5-2
Maryland 5-0
USF 4-3

I love these internet stories about our fan base. They're fantastic.

Reminds me of the time I was set on fire by Marshall fans during the 2010 game in Huntington. I was just sitting there reading my Bible while waiting for kickoff and a bunch of frat kids dumped gas on me and lit a match. It just so happened that I was in the one area of the planet where there were no cell phones at the time or I'd show you the video. It was horrible and I'll never go back to Huntington for a game.

Cousin, your post just proves beyond ANY DOUBT that people in Huntington DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT practice HUMAN Sacrifice!!!! Char and sear a piece of sub human carcass every now and then but definitely NO HUMAN sacrifice!!

funny how many trolls from a school that we don't play in football have the need to be on our board. I assure you I would never waste my time looking at their board. Hope they lose all their games this year

I'm not saying WVU is ohio state- I'm trying to explain to you why the series doesn't happen annually. Do Pitt and Marshall have an ANNUAL home and home? No! WVU played in Huntington twice, and won both, and won all 10 at WVU. They don't want to play every year so Marshall can hold onto that glimmer of hope that some day they will get that victory.

Let me ask you a serious question- if they scheduled a 5 game series and you knew for a fact Marshall's record would be exactly 1-4, would you want that series?

Your point is moot. No team outside of other states that make it MANDATORY to play in state schools annually is going to play another team annually, it just doesn't happen. Does Colorado St. have to play Colorado, does Louisville have to play Kentucky annually, did VT and UVA have to before they shared a conference. Those states realize the value of in state rivalries and what it does for the state. Otherwise there are no ANNUAL contracts written for any out of state school anywhere. WVU wants everything on their terms, that's the problem and I am proud we have an AD to tell them to shove it. WV has to be the only friggin state that doesn't mandate the only two FBS programs play each other at a home and home. That's the truth, look it up.

Now ask me if I care about playing WVU again. I will go ahead and give you the answer, NO we have contracts with teams just as good or better in standing than WVU. We already turned down something along the lines of a 5 games series to my understanding, we do not accept 3 games in Morgantown vs. 2 in Huntington. I am sorry but your victories that came when your program was riding the high wave and ours was in the dump then rebuilding (by the way you nearly lost last time you played in Hton to a MU team with a losing record). So you really want to play, play us when we are out of the hole we were in, but I know that will not happen, especially in Hton. You haven't played us since we rose back up, so how the hell do you even know what a series record would be. Never really worked out in your favor when you played a decent G5 school (see ECU.......several times). I suggest you and other eer trolls on here move along. Need I remind you that the same year Maryland blasted you (2013), we beat them in our bowl. So yes, you play us 4 times, we have as good a chance as most teams you play to beat you on our home field twice. Argue it all you want, but until you play the rebuilt revitalized MU team of today, you have no idea what a series record would be.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Your point is moot. No team outside of other states that make it MANDATORY to play in state schools annually is going to play another team annually, it just doesn't happen. Does Colorado St. have to play Colorado, does Louisville have to play Kentucky annually, did VT and UVA have to before they shared a conference. Those states realize the value of in state rivalries and what it does for the state. Otherwise there are no ANNUAL contracts written for any out of state school anywhere. WVU wants everything on their terms, that's the problem and I am proud we have an AD to tell them to shove it. WV has to be the only friggin state that doesn't mandate the only two FBS programs play each other at a home and home. That's the truth, look it up.

Now ask me if I care about playing WVU again. I will go ahead and give you the answer, NO we have contracts with teams just as good or better in standing than WVU. We already turned down something along the lines of a 5 games series to my understanding, we do not accept 3 games in Morgantown vs. 2 in Huntington. I am sorry but your victories that came when your program was riding the high wave and ours was in the dump then rebuilding (by the way you nearly lost last time you played in Hton to a MU team with a losing record). So you really want to play, play us when we are out of the hole we were in, but I know that will not happen, especially in Hton. You haven't played us since we rose back up, so how the hell do you even know what a series record would be. Never really worked out in your favor when you played a decent G5 school (see ECU.......several times). I suggest you and other eer trolls on here move along. Need I remind you that the same year Maryland blasted you (2013), we beat them in our bowl. So yes, you play us 4 times, we have as good a chance as most teams you play to beat you on our home field twice. Argue it all you want, but until you play the rebuilt revitalized MU team of today, you have no idea what a series record would be.
Good thing we were smart enough to know you'd be rebuilding for 7 years

Good thing we were smart enough to know you'd be rebuilding for 7 years
I don't blame that on anything other than timing, and we weren't rebuilding for 7 years, we sucked under Snyder, we didn't start rebuilding until Doc got here, took him 3 years. Just sayin.

Trust me, I got the point. I've told all my friends that story and they have similar stories, too! It's that kind of behavior is probably what's keeping you guys from getting an AAC invite.

I was staying at Lakeview last fall and a local tried to machete my head. Also had a Gatling gun with him. It just gets worse every time I'm forced to go to the hole.

I don't blame that on anything other than timing, and we weren't rebuilding for 7 years, we sucked under Snyder, we didn't start rebuilding until Doc got here, took him 3 years. Just sayin.

Damnit I wish the teams would have played when Pennington and moss were there...

Wv is the only state that doesn't mandate FBS schools play...... Lololololklololololol you just can't make this shit up.. This message board is awesome. I love you guys

Reactions: mlbull
It pains me to think we would turn down the opportunity to move up to the AAC. It's perceived as a better conference. Look at their bowl tie ins and you see that. I understand the money part and it pisses me off that we can't get Herd fans to join the Big Green. I blame it all on the fans. The fans complain that they want to be bigger but they don't want to pay for it. The mentality in this area baffles me. So many people look for handouts for game tickets instead of just buying their own. Next year I will likely be in the chair backs because I want to support my program and help them get further. We need fans to step up. But I also want our leaders to not concede and to help us grow to where we need to be. If we aren't moving forward then what are we doing? Why would our administration want to sit still and just compete in CUSA for the next however many years. Sure it will be tough to make the move but in order to grow you have to. Look at where the schools in AAC are now. Some are getting courted by the Big 12. Maybe only 2 make it but you don't see them taking schools from CUSA.

Reactions: beefcake0520
Lucky us that we caught Doc only in his first two years, amirite?
What kind of response do you expect??? Do you even know how young the team was and still having some of snyders guys to fill holes????? We were not a good team at that point. Hell we went 5-7 in 2012 to 10-4 in 2013, so yeah, it makes a huge difference in maturity. It takes 3 to 4 years to recruit the team you want. If a coach can't get over the hump after that time span, he made some bad calls in recruiting and in the hiring of his support staff.

Wv is the only state that doesn't mandate FBS schools play...... Lololololklololololol you just can't make this shit up.. This message board is awesome. I love you guys
How about you look it up instead of spouting off. I could care less if we played you guys, most of herdnation feels the same, get over it. I am not incorrect, do you research young man.

You know what, I'm not going to comment back to someone who continues to display ignorance, arrogance and stupidity. Carry on.

Once again may I remind posters this thread has gone off track. Forget any idea about playing WVU. Put it to bed. This is supposed to be about Marshall waiting for the AAC to call inviting us to join. Again, I point out that Dr. Gilbert said that money or the lack thereof is rhe determining factor. We ain't got it therefore we ain't moving out of CUSA! Sad but true. We are now stuck in a league considered by some to be worse than the MAC. IF we do move get ready for the price of everything to go up including the groaning on this board.

Once again may I remind posters this thread has gone off track. Forget any idea about playing WVU. Put it to bed. This is supposed to be about Marshall waiting for the AAC to call inviting us to join. Again, I point out that Dr. Gilbert said that money or the lack thereof is rhe determining factor. We ain't got it therefore we ain't moving out of CUSA! Sad but true. We are now stuck in a league considered by some to be worse than the MAC. IF we do move get ready for the price of everything to go up including the groaning on this board.
Agreed, I just wonder if say CUSA continues its downward spiral, USM get the invite to AAC over us, do we consider reaching out to the MAC at that point? Gonna be a tough decision when the time comes, either way it goes.

The total fixation of the Spamtard knows no bounds. And it really is unprecedented. Find any state or big city and find a school in the position to which the non-alumni Spamtard agrandizes USPAM to and find the position to which the non-alumni Spamtard falsely assigns MU to and find ONE POST like these. Total fixation. Born of the total delusion and suspension of disbelief that it takes to ACTUALLY BELIEVE the idiocy that the lap dog media spews about USPAM.

Anyway, back on topic. IF MU sees an advantage in moving to the AAC, it will do so. The idea that any other school would be in a position ahead of us is too laughable to be discussed. We are having the wrong converstation. We need to have a realistic view of what this AAC is going to be going forward, including how much $$ it can generate in the new media reality. We are the hunted, not the hunter.

I'm glad someone else brought up the MAC before I did. I really wanted to.

The MAC would be a better option than staying in CUSA and watching the program die.

The total fixation of the Spamtard knows no bounds. And it really is unprecedented. Find any state or big city and find a school in the position to which the non-alumni Spamtard agrandizes USPAM to and find the position to which the non-alumni Spamtard falsely assigns MU to and find ONE POST like these. Total fixation. Born of the total delusion and suspension of disbelief that it takes to ACTUALLY BELIEVE the idiocy that the lap dog media spews about USPAM.

Anyway, back on topic. IF MU sees an advantage in moving to the AAC, it will do so. The idea that any other school would be in a position ahead of us is too laughable to be discussed. We are having the wrong converstation. We need to have a realistic view of what this AAC is going to be going forward, including how much $$ it can generate in the new media reality. We are the hunted, not the hunter.
I agree. I know how I see it and I am sure everyone is going to have a different opinion. What I see is our schedule would go back to being worth something during conference play and maybe even upgraded a bit (compared to cusa 2.0) with Navy, USF, UConn etc being new seasonal opponents. I really don't think anyone is going to know what will transpire with tv dollars going forward, even though what would be left in the AAC would still be worth something. We never really got a good read on the biggest cause of CUSA tv downturn, and again I have my own opinion on that. I fully believe that yes, networks are toning down some with the G5, but I also believe that the product in CUSA went from warm milk to spoiled buttermilk. If you are a network, are you going to pay good money for a conference now made up of mostly former belt schools and 1aa schools? Simply put, MU, USM, LT, Rice, UAB, UTEP was not enough to hold the value and really the only schools worth paying for since this mess is MU, USM, LT. Ok now vice versa with the AAC, you have more household names to live off of. The question will be who they lose and how much it will drop their TV. Maybe MU is waiting on some answers that just cant be answered yet?? AAC is our best option bar none. To those who feel we would be under the gun again in competition, I can't disagree more. We would hold our own pretty well, this isn't the Mark Snyder era any more.

I'm glad someone else brought up the MAC before I did. I really wanted to.

The MAC would be a better option than staying in CUSA and watching the program die.
I will take ridicule for bringing it up, doesn't bother me. I only bring it up as a last resort type thing. I feel the way you do, if we stay put and key programs leave, we will slowly decay as a program. I would rather be associated with Toledo, BG, WMU and Ohio versus a bunch of belt programs and 1aa schools..............if it came to that. I know the argument that no one attends MAC away games, and that is mostly true, but it is no different with all but a few programs in CUSA currently either and half of the AAC.

Reactions: WV_Celt
The MAC has sold its soul to ESPN to provide filler programming on random weeknights during that short window between the end of regular season baseball and the start of ESPN's vast over-coverage of the NBA. The cost of that has been what live gate it had. Anybody who remembers the MAC knows that even this version of CUSA is a far higher level of competition. When the TV deal runs out (2026, and yes that is a long time, but it will happen) will ESPN give them ANY money at all? Maybe this whole cord-cutter thing has fully come around and it shows poker or people playing video games in that slot. Programming that cost is funamentally nothing.

And I still say the MAC is heading for a breakup. The level of taxpayer and student subsidy that these schools are using is simply indefensable as the depression continues on for its 8th year. Especially considering that no one associated with most of these MACers cares about sports at all.

As to the AAC, the TV deal runs out in 2019. The thing to remember is there is not one AAC team that is close to being as popular as a fairly long list of teams in its home town, or even on its home campus. What will its next TV deal look like? And who is joining the Little 8? Just Cincy? Just Houston? Both? Four teams ? So we pay $X and end right back where we are today?

As to CUSA, we know what the TV deal is. The league simply over-expanded based on the bygone era's notion that being IN and SIGNIFICANT IN were the same, and added schools that are ignored in their towns based more than anything on their town's size. Mistake. But the core of CUSA remains solid and provides good competiton.

We are the hunted. We took the lowly MAC and dominated it, not just on the field but we were the superstar fairhaired lad for ESPN. And we, along with LTU, WKU, USM, and MTSU represent 95% of the TV value of CUSA. Nobody gives a flying flip about ODU, and nobody ever will.

We get to select, not be selected.

The MAC has sold its soul to ESPN to provide filler programming on random weeknights during that short window between the end of regular season baseball and the start of ESPN's vast over-coverage of the NBA. The cost of that has been what live gate it had. Anybody who remembers the MAC knows that even this version of CUSA is a far higher level of competition. When the TV deal runs out (2026, and yes that is a long time, but it will happen) will ESPN give them ANY money at all? Maybe this whole cord-cutter thing has fully come around and it shows poker or people playing video games in that slot. Programming that cost is funamentally nothing.

And I still say the MAC is heading for a breakup. The level of taxpayer and student subsidy that these schools are using is simply indefensable as the depression continues on for its 8th year. Especially considering that no one associated with most of these MACers cares about sports at all.

As to the AAC, the TV deal runs out in 2019. The thing to remember is there is not one AAC team that is close to being as popular as a fairly long list of teams in its home town, or even on its home campus. What will its next TV deal look like? And who is joining the Little 8? Just Cincy? Just Houston? Both? Four teams ? So we pay $X and end right back where we are today?

As to CUSA, we know what the TV deal is. The league simply over-expanded based on the bygone era's notion that being IN and SIGNIFICANT IN were the same, and added schools that are ignored in their towns based more than anything on their town's size. Mistake. But the core of CUSA remains solid and provides good competiton.

We are the hunted. We took the lowly MAC and dominated it, not just on the field but we were the superstar fairhaired lad for ESPN. And we, along with LTU, WKU, USM, and MTSU represent 95% of the TV value of CUSA. Nobody gives a flying flip about ODU, and nobody ever will.

We get to select, not be selected.
Cant say I disagree with anything you are saying. The MAC has always been like they are though as far as TV times etc are concerned. Remember the Tuesday and Wednesday games we had to play? With the rest, time will tell. If you look at subsidy % of them, then look at the same thing with CUSA, a good portion in CUSA are in trouble as well if that determines the survivability of a program. NIU pretty much took our place in ruling that conference.

They have a good core, though lack attendance. We sorta have the same thing. Outside of us and USM, Utep, and maybe LT when they are winning, CUSA is not much different. MTSU and WKY can't draw flies win or lose, which is a shame because they seem to be steady decent programs.

I don't know what the answer will be, if the AAC is still going to be better after a few defections. All I know is the market strategy (I knew it would be to some degree) was an epic fail, we brought in undeserving programs for the sake of their location and it cost us. Its a sad event that took us below the MAC in respectability currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC
Herd Dat, I've tried so far to give you the benefit of the doubt as far as actually being a Herd fan and not a troll in bison's clothing. But you seriously f*cked up when you said you wish Pennington and Moss could have been here when MU played WVU. They played WVU together. We all know they played them together. Hell, you know they did. What good is it achieving coming to this forum and acting like an ass?

Beef, I agree with you almost entirely about the MAC. Attendance isn't the best, but it's not the best here or any other CUSA school, either. It's all about TV revenue these days, anyway. It seems football will become a TV sport completely. I'll take being able to travel to away games within a few hours over saying the hell with traveling to Texas, or to Virginia or North Carolina to watch the Herd play a trumped up FCS team.

Herd Dat this is the third time I have asked you about your classes at MU and the buildings they are located in. Post your class schedule and location. Might give you some credibility. By now you should be able to navigate the campus without a map/compass/GPS.

This iherddat fake's made up backstory has so many holes and obvious inconsistancies as to be dismissed without any more need for analysis.

We get one or two of these idiots every year about this time. Probably the same person over and over. I guess they think they are being clever, finding some loophole to the (not really closely enforced anyway) "Herd fans only" policy or that it gives them some kind of crediabilty when they regurgitate the Spamspew the lap dog media has told then and they ACTUALLY BELIEVE.

Whatever. Like all Spamite posters, this idiot is just some loser who cannot come to terms with the fact that "his" team is nothing like what the lap dog media tells him it it, and WHEN it loses yet again has nothing to say "But Marshall......" Whatever.

Boomer Sooner.

Reactions: Elkview
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT