ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball stadium?

goherdorgohome2

Silver Buffalo
May 1, 2016
I’ve heard from sources that the baseball stadium was put on hold due to Kroger’s wanting the property for a new mega store. Kroger’s reached out and told Marshall it needs the bigger land to complete its plans to build, so Marshall put the stadium on hold. If so and Kroger’s comes through with the money, the new baseball stadium would be built in ACF property next to softball field or somewhere there of. Just something I’ve heard from a pretty good source..

I wouldn’t expect that and it would be surprising considering they spent nearly $6 million renovating the 5th ave store and 1st street store just just a few years ago.

I wouldn’t expect that and it would be surprising considering they spent nearly $6 million renovating the 5th ave store and 1st street store just just a few years ago.
It was told to me 1st would close. Supposed to be some kind of huge Kroger superstore and the land at the current location on 5th isn’t big enough

I'm not saying it won't happen and I certainly can be wrong, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me if Kroger is moving in this direction. Not only is the 5th Street Kroger on a large tract of land, but there is a good chunk of land behind the building they could purchase that is mostly cleared land.

The current 5th ave Kroger property is owned by Beckwith Realty Inc., whoever that is, so perhaps Kroger wants to own its land and building. I would expect if this does happen they will close the 5th ave Kroger a few blocks away and keep 1st open as it is on the other side of town.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or discredit your source so I hope you don't take it that way. Development is a topic of interest for me so I enjoy discussing it.

I'm not saying it won't happen and I certainly can be wrong, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me if Kroger is moving in this direction. Not only is the 5th Street Kroger on a large tract of land, but there is a good chunk of land behind the building they could purchase that is mostly cleared land.

The current 5th ave Kroger property is owned by Beckwith Realty Inc., whoever that is, so perhaps Kroger wants to own its land and building. I would expect if this does happen they will close the 5th ave Kroger a few blocks away and keep 1st open as it is on the other side of town.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or discredit your source so I hope you don't take it that way. Development is a topic of interest for me so I enjoy discussing it.
Beckwith Realty may be the family of big John Beckwith the owner of the B&B Supermarket - where the current Krogers now is located. B&B was huge back in the day. Big John used to run commercials with a jingle song about Big John.

Perhaps we could get another grocery chain to sponsor the stadium. Piggly Wiggly Field has a nice ring to it.

Reactions: Elkview
Kroger bought the naming rights to Commonwealth Stadium at UK in 2017.

They are paying $1.9 million per year for 12 years!

Give me some of that!

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
And if it's a Kroger Marketplace it would need the additional space. They compete with Target and Walmart for the one stop store with a greater emphasis on groceries.

Marketplace features home goods, clothing and kitchen appliances.

That would be a big get for Huntington.

Yeah and 5th ave already looks rundown inside, at least it did the other year, which was only a couple of years after they renovated it.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
Yeah and 5th ave already looks rundown inside, at least it did the other year, which was only a couple of years after they renovated it.
I worked at Kroger’s for a short bit, even while they remodeled. The store isn’t horrible but it definitely isn’t NEW anymore.

besides wouldn’t it be nice to see a huge Kroger’s shopping center come in to town....
kroger_clothing-4_3.jpg

2p1.jpg

No discredit at all. I think their large tract of land is the wrong shape.. no matter what they do they are limited between 5th and railway... they really can’t go bigger and make sense of it..

What is Mike Hamrick doing? He’s in charge of the fund raising for the baseball facility and there has been no report as to where it all stands - at least I have neither seen nor read anything from him. Anyone out there who knows?

Reactions: Catfanatic1979v1
Cool stuff, don't complain then. Apparently people want someone wealthy to pay for something then get mad when said wealthy entity wants to remind you as much as they want, that they paid for it.

I think you’re the only one participating in this argument….

Reactions: Elkview
I hope Marshall is successful in getting Korger to be a corporate sponsor. I don't care if they have a very bid sign with their name on it and naming rights as long as they are helping pay for the baseball park and the park is one, we all can be happy to call ours.

I hope Marshall is successful in getting Korger to be a corporate sponsor. I don't care if they have a very bid sign with their name on it and naming rights as long as they are helping pay for the baseball park and the park is one, we all can be happy to call ours.
Same with Dutch Miller, Todd Judy Ford, and like every other sponsor MU currently has that get rattled off at football games which annoys everyone?

All sponsorship for Marshall Athletics goes through IMG Learfield. I don’t believe Kroger is a current sponsor but I could be wrong. I know they dropped their sponsorship through IMG about 5 years ago and not sure they re upped.

Could be a contract issue with Beckwith Realty, who owned the original B&B grocery store at the same location.

I think it would be fair by now to ask Hamrick, where he is in seeking donations for the baseball stadium, basketball practice facility, etc. Give us some idea about the whole campaign progress.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
I think it would be fair by now to ask Hamrick, where he is in seeking donations for the baseball stadium, basketball practice facility, etc. Give us some idea about the whole campaign progress.
He is seeking them from all of us.

Curious if any of the parties on this board concerned with a baseball facility or improved basketball facilities have contributed to Herd Rises?

guys, its time to move on from thinking Hammy will produce any results on the baseball field. While he may be still around, how much is he really working on his last legacy after he was pushed out and his only friend (gilbert) was pushed out too? He should've never announced a baseball field or had the ceremony he did with so little money raised at that time.

The softball location seems to be the option right now they're going with, but until I see bulldozers clearing land I wont believe it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT