ADVERTISEMENT

But, but but Sam! I thought CUSA..

…schools only made a token effort in basketball? FAU just said hold my beer..🍺
For the most part most of them do. All credit to FAU, but they've come out of nowhere and it's not the the rest of CUSA are basketball powers.

This is what makes March Madness the best post season in all of sports. Anyone can advance. So much better than a bunch of crap bowls that mean absolutely nothing.

Yes, I was the one dissing CUSA.

You have a really bad memory. :rolleyes:

What I ACTUALLY said was that CUSA (like the SBC) is/was a group of schools who joined together to play football at a certain level. Each bringing along its basketball (and everything else) at vastly different levels. Many at a very low level. What I ACTUALLY said was that conference (like this one) was there to be grabbed by the throat and controlled, by some program willing to do so. What I ACTUALLY said was MU, with its history and fan base and resources, was in a very good position to do so, if only we would do the right thing. Which is fire DD, fire everyone in the building, and run off everyone who can be run off.

I was right. As usual.

MU, under your man, DD, chooses to make a token effort.

This is a token effort.

What I ACTUALLY said was MU, with its history and fan base and resources, was in a very good position to do so, if only we would do the right thing. Which is fire DD, fire everyone in the building, and run off everyone who can be run off.
That’s the most idiotic statement you have made to date! Your solution is to gut the Shewy, including our new AD, the coaching staffs of all sports, all admins & support staff, and hiring brand new, untested replacements, and if we do that……if we do that (Lengal cemetery ref)?
We will then ascend into the upper reaches of Div I in all sports!!
Incredible…..y stoopid….

Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

This, genius, is a men's basketball thread. Nobody said anything about "all sports" or the AD. "Fire everybody in the building" is a phrase. You read it on the sports pages a lot. Does that LITERALLY mean that the Reds or the Pirates or whoever are going to fire the security guards or the woman who mops out the floor or even literally "everyone" on the team?

The right thing to do, vis men's basketball, is to fire your man, DD, fire Cline, fire everyone else on the coaching staff, and run off as many of the players as possible. Then start anew with D1 level players, and a D1 level coaching staff.

But you are down with making a token effort. That is why you support your man, DD, and the token effort.

This is a token effort.

Reactions: Elkview
For all the years of Marshall in CUSA basketball sucked in March Madness… so Hats off to FAU.. I always root for a underdog..

How many years in a row did CUSA win a postseason game while we were in the league?

Let's roll:

2006: 3-2 (Memphis 3-1, UAB 0-1)
2007: 3-1 (Memphis)
2008: 5-1 (Memphis)
2009: 2-1 (Memphis)
2010: 0-2 (UTEP, Houston)
2011: 0-2 (Memphis, UAB)
2012: 0-2 (Memphis, Southern Miss)
2013: 1-1 (Memphis)
2014: 0-1 (Tulsa)

CUSA 2.0 went 14-13 in NCAA play

2015: 1-1 (UAB)
2016: 1-1 (MTSU)
2017: 1-1 (MTSU)
2018: 1-1 (Marshall)
2019: 0-1 (Old Dominion)
2020: No Tournament
2021: 1-1 (North Texas)
2022: 0-1 (UAB)

CUSA 3.0 went 5-7, winning in all but two tournaments.

2023: 4-0 (FAU)

CUSA 3.5 is presently 4-0.

My point? The league has done remarkably well for such few qualifiers starting with 3.0. 2.0 actually was fizzling out it's last 5 seasons.

Reactions: The Real SamC
. Then start anew with D1 level players,
You’re an idiot. There are plenty of D1 level players on the roster. Regardless of how weak the schedule is perceived to be: when you have a win/loss record like Marshall did this year against a D1 schedule, it shows they must have a significant number of D1 level players.

or the woman who mops out the floor or even literally "everyone" on the team?
That’s sexist. There are plenty of men who are also janitors custodial engineers. Most of them went to your favorite school, NMSU.

How many years in a row did CUSA win a postseason game while we were in the league?

Let's roll:

2006: 3-2 (Memphis 3-1, UAB 0-1)
2007: 3-1 (Memphis)
2008: 5-1 (Memphis)
2009: 2-1 (Memphis)
2010: 0-2 (UTEP, Houston)
2011: 0-2 (Memphis, UAB)
2012: 0-2 (Memphis, Southern Miss)
2013: 1-1 (Memphis)
2014: 0-1 (Tulsa)

CUSA 2.0 went 14-13 in NCAA play

2015: 1-1 (UAB)
2016: 1-1 (MTSU)
2017: 1-1 (MTSU)
2018: 1-1 (Marshall)
2019: 0-1 (Old Dominion)
2020: No Tournament
2021: 1-1 (North Texas)
2022: 0-1 (UAB)

CUSA 3.0 went 5-7, winning in all but two tournaments.

2023: 4-0 (FAU)

CUSA 3.5 is presently 4-0.

My point? The league has done remarkably well for such few qualifiers starting with 3.0. 2.0 actually was fizzling out it's last 5 seasons.
Good stats… and yes Memphis had a few good runs with coach cal… Go FAU

That’s the most idiotic statement you have made to date! Your solution is to gut the Shewy, including our new AD, the coaching staffs of all sports, all admins & support staff, and hiring brand new, untested replacements, and if we do that……if we do that (Lengal cemetery ref)?
We will then ascend into the upper reaches of Div I in all sports!!
Incredible…..y stoopid….

That's actually always been the statement during football season,
"We need to fire everyone and start over."

Oh, wait. We can't step out of line with DD and the basketball program that had like, a good week of basketball once.

What I ACTUALLY said was that CUSA (like the SBC) is/was a group of schools who joined together to play football at a certain level. Each bringing along its basketball (and everything else) at vastly different levels. Many at a very low level. What I ACTUALLY said was that conference (like this one) was there to be grabbed by the throat and controlled, by some program willing to do so. What I ACTUALLY said was MU, with its history and fan base and resources, was in a very good position to do so, if only we would do the right thing. Which is fire DD, fire everyone in the building, and run off everyone who can be run off.

I was right. As usual.

This is a token effort.

Uhm...CUSA was originally founded by a merger of the Great Midwest and Metro Conferences.

Neither one sponsored football.
Once merged, they immediately began playing in all sports, except football.
It wasn't till the next year they began football.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Uhm...CUSA was originally founded by a merger of the Great Midwest and Metro Conferences.

Neither one sponsored football.
Once merged, they immediately began playing in all sports, except football.
It wasn't till the next year they began football.
Umm, thank you for that insight. Everyone knows that. It is also irrelevant. Yes, the original CUSA, and the old Metro Conference and the short lived GMC, and, the SUN BELT CONFERENCE, and for that matter, the vaunted AAC (legal successor to the original Big East) were all originally basketball conferences.

And? That was long over, decades over, before MU found its way first to the CUSA and now to the SBC. The MODERN nature of both conferences is a bunch of schools coming together for football. Each bringing men's basketball, and everything else, along, each with vastly different levels of commitment, many (most) a very low commitment, to men's basketball, and to other sports. CUSA and the SBC, TODAY, are football conferences there to be grabbed by the throat and controlled, in men's basketball. FAU has done that. MU, which has way more fans and way more history and, truth be told, way more resources (FAU's rarely sold out basketball arena holds 2,900, or less than most Mountain East small colleges have) than FAU, rather, chooses to make a token effort under your man, DD.

This is a token effort.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

I was right. As usual.

This is a token effort.
I love when people create delusions of grandeur. Every program has a few of those fans that think that somehow the program is just this massively understated position of strength. Like somehow the right hire means it would give the Herd a 5 year run of winning the conference, dominating every other program, and consistently recruiting at a much higher level than any other school. The fact is DD has 20+ wins 4 of the last 8 years. That is AS GOOD AS IT IS GOING TO GET, I assure you. The worst thing a school can do is listen to idiot fans who think the program is way more than it is, and not appreciate what has been done. Stop. Having. Delusions. Of. Grandeur.

I just think it’s funny that the teams leaving CUSA this year have to leave all that money behind that FAU is making. Going to be a windfall for WKU, Middle, UTEP and FIU.
Everyone always thinks moving to the "next thing" is automatically the right move. Herd has a bad case of "instant gratification syndrome." Other programs do as well. It's like the woman who always has a new boyfriend because someone new notices her. Perhaps the grass isn't always greener.

I love when people create delusions of grandeur. Every program has a few of those fans that think that somehow the program is just this massively understated position of strength. Like somehow the right hire means it would give the Herd a 5 year run of winning the conference, dominating every other program, and consistently recruiting at a much higher level than any other school. The fact is DD has 20+ wins 4 of the last 8 years. That is AS GOOD AS IT IS GOING TO GET, I assure you. The worst thing a school can do is listen to idiot fans who think the program is way more than it is, and not appreciate what has been done. Stop. Having. Delusions. Of. Grandeur.
Translation:

"I accept mediocrity".

What a loser mentality. You're absolutely right. MU can never be better than we are curretly. That is if people like you have influence. Fact FAU basketball was the after thought of after thoughts in the landacape of college basketball and now they're in a final four.

Wow Dandy Dan has 20+ wins. 20 wins is NOT an accomplishment as over 100 teams do it. Fact is he has 1 championship out of 9 seasons and he completely choked away an NIT berth and the conference tournament this year.

Marshall can do better than Dan. It just doesn't want to and the Dannites are completely content with good old grandpa coaching past 80 if he wants.

No the worst thing a program can do is listen to fans like yourself that have no vision, no aspirations, and are completely content with never doing anything.

You and so many others are bigger fans of Dan than you are the program. The thought Dan not being the HC makes you more upset than being left out of March Madness. That. That right there is why Marshall MBB never moves forward. There's no desire to. The administration knows it can save money because fans like you just accept it.

Seriously, do you expect to win the conference every year? Be some powerhouse of the SBC basketball program? I mean, we have never been that team in the MAC, or CUSA, so why is it all of the sudden we are some keynote program?
No. No one does and you Dannites love to jump to the furthest conclusion when the rest of us say we want more than 1 championship in 9 seasons. We'd like to see the team actually seal the deal insted of choking it away.

No one thinks we should be in a final four either. We just point to FAU because it craps all over the notion that Marshall can't expect to compete because we don't have resources.

If Dan was such a good coach two things would have happened and neither did.

1. After our tournament victory other schools would have inquired about Dan.

2. Dan would have built on his success.

1 didn't happen because no one but, Marshall wants a 70+ year old high school coach and 2 didn't happen because in reality Dan is not a very good coach.

Translation:

"I accept mediocrity".
Better known as a losers mentality. Don't even think about being better because gosh darn it we just can't be any better. Sam don't you know we've just never been that good.

It's not that we can't. It's that we don't. Big difference.

What a loser mentality. You're absolutely right. MU can never be better than we are curretly. That is if people like you have influence. Fact FAU basketball was the after thought of after thoughts in the landacape of college basketball and now they're in a final four.

Wow Dandy Dan has 20+ wins. 20 wins is NOT an accomplishment as over 100 teams do it. Fact is he has 1 championship out of 9 seasons and he completely choked away an NIT berth and the conference tournament this year.

Marshall can do better than Dan. It just doesn't want to and the Dannites are completely content with good old grandpa coaching past 80 if he wants.

No the worst thing a program can do is listen to fans like yourself that have no vision, no aspirations, and are completely content with never doing anything.

You and so many others are bigger fans of Dan than you are the program. The thought Dan not being the HC makes you more upset than being left out of March Madness. That. That right there is why Marshall MBB never moves forward. There's no desire to. The administration knows it can save money because fans like you just accept it.
So bleeds, now that we have signed DD to a 3 year extension, why not save your strength and copy that response. Then you can paste it several times a basketball season and save your pointer finger the effort!
Pointless drivel with zero possibility of change occurring.

Reactions: 19MU88
Umm, thank you for that insight. Everyone knows that. It is also irrelevant. Yes, the original CUSA, and the old Metro Conference and the short lived GMC, and, the SUN BELT CONFERENCE, and for that matter, the vaunted AAC (legal successor to the original Big East) were all originally basketball conferences.

And? That was long over, decades over, before MU found its way first to the CUSA and now to the SBC. The MODERN nature of both conferences is a bunch of schools coming together for football. Each bringing men's basketball, and everything else, along, each with vastly different levels of commitment, many (most) a very low commitment, to men's basketball, and to other sports. CUSA and the SBC, TODAY, are football conferences there to be grabbed by the throat and controlled, in men's basketball. FAU has done that. MU, which has way more fans and way more history and, truth be told, way more resources (FAU's rarely sold out basketball arena holds 2,900, or less than most Mountain East small colleges have) than FAU, rather, chooses to make a token effort under your man, DD.

This is a token effort.
So, Sam, please lay out your grand plan that would make Marshall a contender every year in the SBC in both FB and BB. Please be specific and do not delect with one of your diatribes that goes on and on but says nothing.

So, Sam, please lay out your grand plan that would make Marshall a contender every year in the SBC in both FB and BB. Please be specific and do not delect with one of your diatribes that goes on and on but says nothing.

1. That's impossible for him.
2. It'll involve removing DD and clearing house because he is so insulted that nobody around him should get to continue to work.

Reactions: CamJoanBaller
we want more than 1 championship in 9 seasons.
This is definitely not what Sam is implying by grabbing the conference by the throat and owning it. He makes it sound like because "of our resources" (whatever the hell he thinks Huntington, WV offers that every other town in SBC doesn't, way less if you ask me) that somehow with the right coach we will suddenly just own the conference like we are some powerhouse waiting to happen. Get real.

And I am not necessarily huge on DD, I just don't think in our current state of affairs that we are going to find someone who is going to win 20+ games 50% of the time, that sticks around long enough to build the program. No one who is as successful as you want them to be with the Herd will be there more than 3-4 years. So you can't have your cake and eat it too. Not with a team in the SBC anyway.. thats the world we live in, sorry,

Dang, that is about the saddest post I have ever read.

Football. I think we ARE a contender. Keep it up.

Basketball. Fire DD, replace with qualified college coach with a record of success either at a lower division or as an assistant. Fire Cline and the other assistants. Replace with qualified personnel. Recruit only D1 level players.

And yet.... true
Hmm. Literally everything you posted was your opinion. Only facts were about his record. Imo, the worst thing a school can do is listen to fans who say being mediocre is all we can achieve. Why reach for more! This is as good as its going to get! I know where MU stands currently in the bball world. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be better. Literally like every mid major in the US, you are 1 hire away from being relevant and making a run in the tournament. Defeatist attitude is disgusting.

Hmm. Literally everything you posted was your opinion. Only facts were about his record. Imo, the worst thing a school can do is listen to fans who say being mediocre is all we can achieve. Why reach for more! This is as good as its going to get! I know where MU stands currently in the bball world. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be better. Literally like every mid major in the US, you are 1 hire away from being relevant and making a run in the tournament. Defeatist attitude is disgusting.
The problem with "striving to do better" is sometimes the grass isnt greener on the other side. There are programs who have jumped conferences and really screwed themselves, programs that have fired coaches because they "wanted more" and then went the other direction for a long time afterwards. Dan winning 20 games half the time is overacheiving for a program like ours. So be careful what you wish for. So yes, there is truth to the fact that we actually are not just some dominant force waiting to happen. If you think we are, then youre a blind homer.

Reactions: rvntx
The problem with "striving to do better" is sometimes the grass isnt greener on the other side. There are programs who have jumped conferences and really screwed themselves, programs that have fired coaches because they "wanted more" and then went the other direction for a long time afterwards. Dan winning 20 games half the time is overacheiving for a program like ours. So be careful what you wish for. So yes, there is truth to the fact that we actually are not just some dominant force waiting to happen. If you think we are, then youre a blind homer.

I have never considered Marshall to be some force in bball or a sleeping giant. But that doesn't mean we can't strive to be.

Translation:

I accept mediocrity.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Getting back to the OP. FAU is in the NCAA Final Four. UAB and North Texas are the finalists in the NIT. Who would've thunk that CUSA would be in those spots.

Translation:

I accept mediocrity.
Nope,

Translation: I don't have the delusion that we are some powerhouse that are not and never will be, and the fact that we have 20+ win seasons half the time is not something I am willing to give up just because some fans, like yourself, have delusions of grandeur.

I have never considered Marshall to be some force in bball or a sleeping giant. But that doesn't mean we can't strive to be.
We CAN strive to be that. But not at the expense of just assuming the next coach is all of the sudden going to be that. Is it worth the risk of being better by giving up someone who wins 20+ games 50% of the time? I personally am not so sure.

Is it worth the same risk for us to possibly be a powerhouse that wins the conference every year? Yes. But that is NEVER going to happen, so I go back to the first question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT