ADVERTISEMENT

But, but but Sam! I thought CUSA..

Because you accept mediocrity. That simple. Marshall should just stick with DD and then his hand picked successor because they will produce mediocre results and we can't risk demanding more.

Yes, we can. We can get somebody in here who actually knows what he is doing, and grab this s***y conference by the throat and control it.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Because you accept mediocrity. That simple. Marshall should just stick with DD and then his hand picked successor because they will produce mediocre results and we can't risk demanding more.

Yes, we can. We can get somebody in here who actually knows what he is doing, and grab this s***y conference by the throat and control it.
Yeah, it is just that simple. Hire some diamond in the rough out there that no one knows about, use Marshall and Huntington's vast untapped resources, and destroy SBC like we are supposed to do.

Done!

We CAN strive to be that. But not at the expense of just assuming the next coach is all of the sudden going to be that. Is it worth the risk of being better by giving up someone who wins 20+ games 50% of the time? I personally am not so sure.

Is it worth the same risk for us to possibly be a powerhouse that wins the conference every year? Yes. But that is NEVER going to happen, so I go back to the first question.

Basketball, has not had a recent history of dominance and doesn't really have much to brag about. While DD won a title and made it twice to the title game, and <gasp> winning an NCAA tournament game, he hasn't even come close to replicating it since.

However, a major difference in basketball and football, is fans use MU's history as a means for football to be better.

MU fans use MU's history as a means for basketball to be where it is.
Why?
You think FDU or FAU fans are going to say, "Well, we really haven't been good at basketball and going on 5 years since the 2023 tournament, I think we're fine with a 20 win season, no title appearances, and a schedule lighter than air."

Their fans are going to expect a competitive team now...and frankly, have every reason to get one.
As far as I know, they didn't make headlines spending a boatload of money into their basketball program prior to this season, did they?

Not to say they shouldn't invest money or resources, but they also shouldn't keep giving the coach a pat on the back and say, "Ya know...5 years ago you really dug us out of that rut we were in!!! Yeah...congrats on not winning the conference, any meaningful games, and complaining it's our fault you can't win when you proved such a thing wrong to begin with.
Here's a 3 year contract extension!"

Football is a whole different monster but since we're talking about basketball...

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Basketball, has not had a recent history of dominance and doesn't really have much to brag about. While DD won a title and made it twice to the title game, and <gasp> winning an NCAA tournament game, he hasn't even come close to replicating it since.

However, a major difference in basketball and football, is fans use MU's history as a means for football to be better.

MU fans use MU's history as a means for basketball to be where it is.
Why?
You think FDU or FAU fans are going to say, "Well, we really haven't been good at basketball and going on 5 years since the 2023 tournament, I think we're fine with a 20 win season, no title appearances, and a schedule lighter than air."

Their fans are going to expect a competitive team now...and frankly, have every reason to get one.
As far as I know, they didn't make headlines spending a boatload of money into their basketball program prior to this season, did they?

Not to say they shouldn't invest money or resources, but they also shouldn't keep giving the coach a pat on the back and say, "Ya know...5 years ago you really dug us out of that rut we were in!!! Yeah...congrats on not winning the conference, any meaningful games, and complaining it's our fault you can't win when you proved such a thing wrong to begin with.
Here's a 3 year contract extension!"

Football is a whole different monster but since we're talking about basketball...
My point is, if you guys think Marshall is randomly just a massive program waiting to happen in basketball, you're nuts. In fact, 20+ win seasons and a tourney showing is honestly as much as we have accomplished in football. So why all of the sudden do we think we need to be FAU on a yearly basis? BTW- they are not this every year and won't be next year. So what you are basically wanting is something that isn't feasible, from a bball program that is not going to get the recruits that FAU is, while wanting to be consistently what they are for only one year, while keeping a coach that accomplishes this and doesn't want to leave... wait for it... Huntington, WV. Winning 20+ games 50% of the time is not mediocrity as Sam so eloquently likes to say. It is actually much better than we are historically. Yet you guys think somehow we are this sleeping giant ready to become the next Houston. Read these words correctly: Yeah. F*cking. Right.

Getting back to the OP. FAU is in the NCAA Final Four. UAB and North Texas are the finalists in the NIT. Who would've thunk that CUSA would be in those spots.
And Charlotte won the CBI, or whatever it's called now. Not bad for a bottom rung conference.

And Charlotte won the CBI, or whatever it's called now. Not bad for a bottom rung conference.
CUSA is 17-1 in post season play this year.......going into the NIT championship tonight.

CUSA is 17-1 in post season play this year.......going into the NIT championship tonight.
Cusa is better than the sbc in bball. That is well known. But we will see when those teams move on next year. There will be a major drop off.

Yes but we moved to SBC for football. Except.... Sam says simply firing everyone in the basketball program and using our random Huntington, WV powerhouse resources, will make up the dominant program in SBC basketball because "We Are Marshall"

wins the conference every year?
Who is saying that is the measure? Expecting more than 1 conference title in 20 years too much for you to handle? This is the same argument we faced when Doc was here in football. It would be nice if Marshall would simply hire a basketball coach that appears to actually know how to strategically coach at key times of the game, while not bragging about beating up on schools from "College of Deaf and Blind".

Spears (and Brad) blew this one.

Who is saying that is the measure? Expecting more than 1 conference title in 20 years too much for you to handle? This is the same argument we faced when Doc was here in football. It would be nice if Marshall would simply hire a basketball coach that appears to actually know how to strategically coach at key times of the game, while not bragging about beating up on schools from "College of Deaf and Blind".

Spears (and Brad) blew this one.

You are a bad fan if you cant suck it up and support a conference championship every 2 decades. Geez, what more do you want? We are lucky we even have air to put into a basketball....

My point is,
You don't have a point. Other than that you accept mediocrity.
if you guys think Marshall is randomly just a massive program waiting to happen in basketball, you're nuts.
No, we just understand basketball. Understand just how s***y the SBC is, and how easy it is to dominate it for any school with the resources, and that MU is one of about 5 schools in the SBC with said resources.
In fact, 20+ win seasons and a tourney showing is honestly as much as we have accomplished in football.

You just lost all credibility.
So why all of the sudden do we think we need to be FAU on a yearly basis?
Because that is the goal. What is your goal? To show up? If you are not striving to win, why bother trying?

BTW- they are not this every year and won't be next year. So what you are basically wanting is something that isn't feasible, from a bball program that is not going to get the recruits that FAU is,
Not under DD and his token effort.
while wanting to be consistently what they are for only one year, while keeping a coach that accomplishes this and doesn't want to leave... wait for it... Huntington, WV.
Ahh, so that is it. My little Danny will never leave me. Yes, MU is not Kentucky. A coach that succeeds here is probably going to go elsewhere. Your little Danny will never leave you. Because no one else wants him.
Winning 20+ games 50% of the time is not mediocrity as Sam so eloquently likes to say.
Yes it is.
It is actually much better than we are historically. Yet you guys think somehow we are this sleeping giant ready to become the next Houston. Read these words correctly: Yeah. F*cking. Right.
So what is your goal? Next fall, what are you looking for? "Gosh, I sure hope we win 60% of our games, and sure hope we play as many D2 and bottom feeder D1 schools as possible. I just want to show up."

That describes a token effort.

This is a token effort.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

Because that is the goal. What is your goal? To show up? If you are not striving to win, why bother trying?

Not under DD and his token effort.

Ahh, so that is it. My little Danny will never leave me. Yes, MU is not Kentucky. A coach that succeeds here is probably going to go elsewhere. Your little Danny will never leave you. Because no one else wants him.

Yes it is.

So what is your goal? Next fall, what are you looking for? "Gosh, I sure hope we win 60% of our games, and sure hope we play as many D2 and bottom feeder D1 schools as possible. I just want to show up."

That describes a token effort.

This is a token effort.

HAHAHAHAAHA- Wikipedia from our high point of the program 25 YEARS ago means justifies what you think our basketball team should be.

And I am the one who lost credibility.... Greatest/Worst thing you've ever spewed, and that is saying A LOT

My goal is to be realistic, because fans like you that think programs are what they aren't, or can be what they can't, end up hurting the program in the long run. What exactly is it you think we should be? The next Houston? Memphis? You legit probably think we should be one of those programs. Because if we aren't them, then 20+ wins seasons is actually pretty damn good.

Well, you said that winning 20 games and one tournament game was equal to what we have done in football, I just pointed out how stupid that was. I could have just as easily linked to this.

We all get it. You accept mediocrity. 20 wins, all against D2 teams, the very bottom of D1, and in this s***y league are fine with you.

This is a token effort.

Well, you said that winning 20 games and one tournament game was equal to what we have done in football, I just pointed out how stupid that was. I could have just as easily linked to this.

We all get it. You accept mediocrity. 20 wins, all against D2 teams, the very bottom of D1, and in this s***y league are fine with you.

This is a token effort.
Woe to anyone stupid enough to play a drinking game involving the # of times Sam types “token effort”……or would that be 2 drinks? 🥃🥃

Reactions: CamJoanBaller

This is a token effort.
You're right, what Marshall did in 1997 was better than what the basketball team is doing now. We get it, you can't accept the fact you don't realize the football team accomplishes nothing more than the basketball team except for the 90s.

You might want to look up "debunk" and "has a different view".

Debunk means to prove false. If I said Cincinnati was the capitol of Ohio, a simple link would "debunk" that. If I said I think Ohio is not as good a state to live in as Kentucky, that is an opinion, a view, a take.

Your view is that you accept mediocrity.

I, and most posters here, do not.

No one has "debunked" anything, especially not you.

You might want to look up "debunk" and "has a different view".

Debunk means to prove false. If I said Cincinnati was the capitol of Ohio, a simple link would "debunk" that. If I said I think Ohio is not as good a state to live in as Kentucky, that is an opinion, a view, a take.

Your view is that you accept mediocrity.

I, and most posters here, do not.

No one has "debunked" anything, especially not you.
I have debunked the idea that our football program is something you think it is, when it actually is not. You are trying to say we should strive for football levels in our basketball program, when in FACT they are relatively the same. This isn't 1998 anymore, and the Marshall U Cafe isn't the coolest spot in the SBC. Move on

The thing that holds programs back is people who still live vicariously in one era of a program. We are 3 conferences removed from your idea of glory days. Our football program is on the rise in my opinion, as is the basketball in my opinion. So enjoy the ride

• Haha
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
You have no credibility and no clue what MU sports is all about.

Anyone who thinks MU basketball is "on the rise" has never seen a basketball game.

My goal is to be realistic, because fans like you that think programs are what they aren't, or can be what they can't, end up hurting the program in the long run. What exactly is it you think we should be? The next Houston? Memphis? You legit probably think we should be one of those programs. Because if we aren't them, then 20+ wins seasons is actually pretty damn good.
You have no goals. That's the problem. Just existing and winning 20 games every few seasons is not having goals. You have a loser mentality and it's people like you that keep the program where it is.

Not one person said we should be Houston or Memphis. Not one. What we expect is to actually win the darn conference more than once a decade and not have a head coach that consistently chokes at the season's end. A good coach would have built off of the championship and the NCAA tournament appearance. Not Dan he went into cruise control because he knows he has fans like you that will continue to prop him up with the "woe is us we just can't expect to do anything more because we couldn't do anything before."

Having an NIT all but locked up and losing to inferior teams is unacceptable. Getting bounced by an 11 seed in your first game with a week to prepare is unacceptable. Losing to what amounts to a D-II roster is unacceptable. However for you that's fine because you have absolutely no aspirations of having a successful program.

If competing for championships at the D-I level is just too hard for Marshall then stop the charade and drop down to D-II and stop begging people for more of their hard earned money if all you want to do is just "exist".

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC
You have no credibility and no clue what MU sports is all about.

Anyone who thinks MU basketball is "on the rise" has never seen a basketball game.
Like many in our fan base he as accepted the load of bull that somehow expecting to compete in today's landscape is much harder than it was moving from I-AA to I-A. This is how the administration can get by with its token efforts and continue to employ Dan and brag about meaningless low rate weed eater bowls.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Like many in our fan base he as accepted the load of bull that somehow expecting to compete in today's landscape is much harder than it was moving from I-AA to I-A. This is how the administration can get by with its token efforts and continue to employ Dan and brag about meaningless low rate weed eater bowls.
Nah, I just don't sit at The Union with my thumb up my ass for the last 20 years talking about the glory days of Randy Moss, wondering when that is ever going to happen again and pretending like we are still on that level. Same thing in bball, the only difference is we are missing those two or three special seasons like football had a QUARTER CENTURY AGO.

Point being- 20+ win seasons half of the time is WAY better than most SBC schools. I know where we are and I don't sit with the delusion of random Herd On fan guy who thinks we are something way more than we will ever be.

Nah, I just don't sit at The Union with my thumb up my ass for the last 20 years talking about the glory days of Randy Moss, wondering when that is ever going to happen again and pretending like we are still on that level. Same thing in bball, the only difference is we are missing those two or three special seasons like football had a QUARTER CENTURY AGO.

Point being- 20+ win seasons half of the time is WAY better than most SBC schools. I know where we are and I don't sit with the delusion of random Herd On fan guy who thinks we are something way more than we will ever be.
Listen Sammy. This is the same argument you made when Doc was here. Give it a rest. Danny is old, out of touch. The only difference is he occasionally frequents downtown establishments for a couple of beers and food, unlike the last football guy that rolled out of town every evening.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

We compete in a conference with Peers. It is not like we play in the ACC, we are delusional because we expect to compete for more than 1 Conference championship every 20 years? Come on man, we CAN do better, we just refuse to do so. Thats the issue.

We compete in a conference with Peers. It is not like we play in the ACC, we are delusional because we expect to compete for more than 1 Conference championship every 20 years? Come on man, we CAN do better, we just refuse to do so. Thats the issue.
I don't disagree with this. My problem is Sam acts like we are way more dominant in football than basketball, and therefore we should just clean out the entire bball program. I am simply stating that 20+ wins 50% of the time is AS GOOD OR BETTER than what has been accomplished in football in recent history. And no one has proved me otherwise with any valid points yet. The only thing Sam did was find Wikipedia info from a quarter century ago, which is definitely the epitome of Sam's research abilities.

Genius, you look foolish. You, after being made to look foolish, added this "recent history" garbage. What you actually said:
In fact, 20+ win seasons and a tourney showing is honestly as much as we have accomplished in football.
There is no "recent history". You just spewed idiocy, and were made to look foolish.

Fact is, in Division I-A (130 schools) MU finished 10th in the nation. You said this was "as much" the same as in Division I (350 schools) winning 60% of our games and winning ONE tournament game. That is stupid. You are stupid.

But, OK, yes, your man, MS and your AD, KO Marcum, destroyed all that. It was a long time ago.

Fine. You honestly thing that winning 20 games (out of 32) in one of the worst conferences in the country (either one we have been in) is the same as what our last two football coaches (either one) have accomplished? Winning seasons, beating Notre Dame, Navy, Purdue, Maryland, and many more including several ranked, but not "big name" teams? Going to, and winning, bowl games? Walking off the field having won the last game we played that year? Not to mention that football is in a conference (both of them) of teams brought together to play football at this level. Basketball is not, and furthers that point by scheduling D2 teams, tiny shouldn't be in D1 teams, and other garbage.

You accept mediocrity.

Genius, you look foolish. You, after being made to look foolish, added this "recent history" garbage. What you actually said:

There is no "recent history". You just spewed idiocy, and were made to look foolish.

Fact is, in Division I-A (130 schools) MU finished 10th in the nation. You said this was "as much" the same as in Division I (350 schools) winning 60% of our games and winning ONE tournament game. That is stupid. You are stupid.

But, OK, yes, your man, MS and your AD, KO Marcum, destroyed all that. It was a long time ago.

Fine. You honestly thing that winning 20 games (out of 32) in one of the worst conferences in the country (either one we have been in) is the same as what our last two football coaches (either one) have accomplished? Winning seasons, beating Notre Dame, Navy, Purdue, Maryland, and many more including several ranked, but not "big name" teams? Going to, and winning, bowl games? Walking off the field having won the last game we played that year? Not to mention that football is in a conference (both of them) of teams brought together to play football at this level. Basketball is not, and furthers that point by scheduling D2 teams, tiny shouldn't be in D1 teams, and other garbage.

You accept mediocrity.
So in other words, beating Navy, Maryland, Purdue (all bottom feeders in their conferences) and being ranked 10th several years ago one time, is WAY better than 20+ win seasons and decent shots at winning the conference (which we did once) in basketball. I didnt realize how massive those football wins were. Pretty soon, we may even beat someone like a Wisconsin or an Arkansas, and our football dreams of astonishing grandeur will be complete!

The fact is, if I look foolish to you, then theres a 99.99% chance I am accurate. It's kind of like when a liberal calls me an idiot... I know I am probably on track.

So in other words, beating Navy, Maryland, Purdue (all bottom feeders in their conferences) and being ranked 10th several years ago one time, is WAY better than 20+ win seasons and decent shots at winning the conference (which we did once) in basketball.
Yes, that is correct. Of course, you left out Notre Dame. But, yes. Football is currently performing acceptably (actually far better than acceptably, but not the question). Basketball is not.

You have no goals. That's the problem. Just existing and winning 20 games every few seasons is not having goals. You have a loser mentality and it's people like you that keep the program where it is.
Here’s my problem with Bleed’s post:
“It’s people like you…..”

Let’s all agree (!) (as if that could EVER happen)
that none of us have any (read zero) effect on the goals established by the AD for ANY of the sports programs @ MU. Fans having “loser mentality’s” are a non factor (less than zero)
in decisions regarding coaching staffs, scheduling, facilities upgrades or maintenance thereof; we are indeed “along for the ride” as Cam Joan Baller accurately phrases it.
Our only decisions we have independently are:
1. Do we wish to support any of the programs that have “Herd” attached to them by either purchasing tickets or making monetary contributions separate from the purchase of tickets
and
2. Do we choose to devote our time and presence at the competitions that interest us
and
3. Do we want to purchase concessions and/or merchandise that will financially assist the AD.

Other than that? Those in charge will do what they want, period. All of this “I’m a better fan/you suck/we suck/we’re great/all is lost/new women’s bball coach is hot…..well the last one is solid…..is wasted energy.
Give blood, help an old lady across the street, call your Mom - all of these are more valuable than the pointless circular firing squad supa fan delusional fan bad fan not a fan threads.
That is all.

Reactions: CamJoanBaller

You accept mediocrity.
We may be mediocre. I don't know. We seem to do fairly well in fball. My problem is that we lose games that we shouldn't be losing, thus holding us back from getting to the next level. And by next level I don't mean P-5. Just win what we should win and play for a conference championship more than 1 out of 10 times.

Yes, that is correct. Of course, you left out Notre Dame. But, yes. Football is currently performing acceptably (actually far better than acceptably, but not the question). Basketball is not.
Ok, now I know that you believe beating bottom level P5 teams is accomplishing a lot because "theyre P5". I see where your priorities lie now- being mentioned on ESPN and holding on to the movie about Marshall as the most important things. Relevance and mentions on TV is more important than actual success. Got it

We may be mediocre. I don't know. We seem to do fairly well in fball. My problem is that we lose games that we shouldn't be losing, thus holding us back from getting to the next level. And by next level I don't mean P-5. Just win what we should win and play for a conference championship more than 1 out of 10 times.
Yes this! This is what Sam doesn't get. He think he we are some P5 level program, just waiting for the right recognition because "We Are Marshall".

I agree 100% I am tired of losing games we should win, at least in football. It happens way more regularly in basketball with every program so I am not as worried about that. (Just look at the NCAA tourney).

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT