ADVERTISEMENT

Cato to CFL

Time to bring on Shuler so people can watch them light it up together.

That's an awful wish to put on Cato; not that shuler isn't a talented receiver, but because it results in Cato not developing into a better QB by going through his progressions

Awesome! Great move for Cato. Dude's gonna play pro football, in a league that is almost a perfect fit for him, and for one of the better organizations in the CFL.

Now to figure out if there's any way to watch CFL down here. Is it on ESPN or do I need streaming sites to watch?

I know some of the last few years the NFL Network has been showing CFL game during the summer before the NFL season starts.

So happy for him. Didn't realize he had a rookie card out from Upper Deck.

Now to figure out if there's any way to watch CFL down here. Is it on ESPN or do I need streaming sites to watch?

The last couple of seasons, almost all the CFL have been streamed on ESPN3. There also have been a smattering of games broadcast on the NFL network & ESPN2. particulary before the NFL & CFB seasons start. "TSN" now carries all their games in Canada. TSN is affiliated with ESPN/ABC/Disney.

You can find the broadcast schedules at cfl.ca.

The CFL signed a five year deal with ESPN, Inc., starting last season. A few games will show up on ESPN mothership or 2,but most are on the ESPN3 computer feed. Coverage is via TSN, which is the Canadian version of ESPN (and not (legally) available in the USA) and is pretty much the same as what ESPN US would do in terms of graphics.

2 year $100,000 contract with incentives/bonuses and an option for a 3rd year.
Not bad...glad he's going to get to play.

not bad, but it's also the league minimum, if he makes the roster. he'll have a battle, i think he's talented enough to do it, but crompton is the returning starting QB and while not perfect was solid and led them to the playoffs last year. they recently added nfl vet john skelton to their roster, a nfl veteran. they have tanner marsh, that's been up there for several years and in that system, and the recently signed dan lefevour who has some CFL experience.

i'd never bet against cato, but it's not a sure thing he makes the team, they're allowed to keep 3 qbs on the active roster, cato is coming in as #5, he'll have to earn his spot.

Not to be Debbie Downer but the HD article leaves as many unanswered questions as it really tells us anything about this "opportunity."

First, the information came from the agent and not the club. The agent said it's a 2-year deal worth "close" to $100k. How close is "close?" $70 k, $80k, $90k? It sounds to me like the contract is the total amount for 2 years and not the amount per year. He could be playing for $35-40k per year.

What part of this contract, if any, is guaranteed? Many pro contracts are contingent on making the team and Montreal has brought in several quarterback prospects for this season.

Finally, does anybody know if players are paid in US dollars or Canadian coin?

My point is that this deal may not be the slam dunk that some assume unless he makes the squad.

Not to be Debbie Downer but the HD article leaves as many unanswered questions as it really tells us anything about this "opportunity."

First, the information came from the agent and not the club. The agent said it's a 2-year deal worth "close" to $100k. How close is "close?" $70 k, $80k, $90k? It sounds to me like the contract is the total amount for 2 years and not the amount per year. He could be playing for $35-40k per year.

What part of this contract, if any, is guaranteed? Many pro contracts are contingent on making the team and Montreal has brought in several quarterback prospects for this season.

Finally, does anybody know if players are paid in US dollars or Canadian coin?

My point is that this deal may not be the slam dunk that some assume unless he makes the squad.

It's totally contingent on if he makes the team.. However, 35-40K to play football seems pretty nice to me and probably better than what Cato would do as just a recently graduated college student starting out (and he didn't actually graduate lol).. When I graduated in 2013 my first job at a newspaper was for $19,500 a year, working 50-60 hours a week.. 35K for football sounds fantastic to me haha.. But, I can almost guarantee it's contingent on him making the team and he probably has very little in guaranteed money if any.

It appears that the CFL minimum salary is $80k.

what are you talking about? the minimum salary for 2015 is $51,000 CAD, which is about $42,000 USD. Next year, the minimum will be $52,000 CAD or almost $43,000 USD. So, if he makes the roster this year, and next, and is active for every single game, he'll pocket at least $85,000 USD.

https://cfldb.ca/faq/compensation/

"The minimum player salary as dictated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement is $51,000 in 2015, incremented by $1,000 per year for the remaining three years of the current CBA"

what are you talking about? the minimum salary for 2015 is $51,000 CAD, which is about $42,000 USD. Next year, the minimum will be $52,000 CAD or almost $43,000 USD. So, if he makes the roster this year, and next, and is active for every single game, he'll pocket at least $85,000 USD.

https://cfldb.ca/faq/compensation/

"The minimum player salary as dictated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement is $51,000 in 2015, incremented by $1,000 per year for the remaining three years of the current CBA"

You're right. After I reread the article itc appears the average CFL salary is $80k while rookie salaries are $51k.

In either case...the important thing is is he playing football somewhere. Might not be where he wanted to go, but you take what life can offer.
It's also 50,60,70,80,90K more than he started with.

Reactions: WV_Celt
He sure as hell isn't going to make that in Miami without a degree, He's got 2 kids to support as well. At least I hope he is supporting them.
Hope he makes it and does very well. Good kid. His game is good for that league. jmo.

Reactions: WV_Celt

LeFevour and Skelton were added in 2015. The Als also drafted South Alabama QB Brandon "Air Canada" Bridge.

LeFevour and Marsh have gotten very little playing time in the CFL and Skelton hasn't played since 2012 when he was thrown into 8 NFL starts by Arizona - they had no other QB and he had an awe-inspiring QB rating of 68. Compton is the starter but that was by process of elimination last year when Troy Smith out of Ohio State fizzled.

IMHO, Cato will beat out Bridge and the QB who can complete over 65% will win the job since rules allow only three downs to get a first down.

Nice find Goch...

Still it was a dumb move for Cato to blow off the 'Riders. Fortunately in today's world, all of his practice video will be available in the case that the Als release him. Good chance that he might catch on with another team.

LeFevour and Skelton were added in 2015. The Als also drafted South Alabama QB Brandon "Air Canada" Bridge.

IMHO, Cato will beat out Bridge and the QB who can complete over 65% will win the job since rules allow only three downs to get a first down.

Bridge (who is a Canadian citizen) is the issue. CFL rules limit teams to 24 non-Canadians on the 44 man roster, limit them to 3 QBs, and require 7 (of the 12) players on every play to be Canadians. Thus Cato has to a LOT better than Bridge to be worth the trouble.

Bridge (who is a Canadian citizen) is the issue. CFL rules limit teams to 24 non-Canadians on the 44 man roster, limit them to 3 QBs, and require 7 (of the 12) players on every play to be Canadians. Thus Cato has to a LOT better than Bridge to be worth the trouble.

No. Just about all of this info is wrong. Par for the course with your posts.

I would suggest to you that you stop acting like an authority figure on every issue discussed and only post in threads you have a clue about, but then you wouldn't be allowed to ever post.

No, why do you even try? You can't even read your own source.

You stated that CFL rules limit them to 24 non-Canadians. First, they stopped using "non-Canadian" as a term years ago. They classify them as "national" or "international." As your link states, each team can have a maximum of 20 international players. Even if you include the 3 designated QBs, which you shouldn't, that still only comes out to 23, not 24.

Then, you stated that 7 out of 12 players must be national (actually, you said "Canadian," which isn't the term the CFL uses anymore) on every play. That is false. The rule is that 7 out of the 23 starters (12 starters on offense, 12 on defense, minus the 1 QB) must be national. It's not every play and it's definitely not 7 out of 12 like you claim.

As I stated, and as your own link shows, you're wrong on just about every single part of your post.

Umm Canadian and National are the same term. A Canadian in Canada is a National of Canada.

You need help.

You got caught in a lie last December. Move on.

Don't try changing the subject like you always do. Everyone is well aware of your attempt to do it when you were embarrassingly called out in cecber after telling people to "STFU" because you were wrong. So, stay focused on this.

You claimed each team had a max limit of 24 non-Canadians (or international players as is the correct term which I pointed out). Yet, the link you provided as proof gives a different number. Explain.

You claimed that 7 out of the 12 players on a team must be Canadian (national) on every play. Yet, the link you provided as proof gives a different number and isn't even a rule for each play. Explain.

You can't. So, now try changing the subject again instead of answering very simple questions.

Minimum wage in the CFL is $50,000 for rookies. Average wage is ~$80,000. That is very good money coming straight out of college. You can make a living in the Canadian Football League doing what you love.

Quarterbacks are ALL considered imports regardless of whether or not they are Canadian. There are actually very few Canadian quarterbacks in the CFL these days because of this.

Good luck to Cato. We all know he can ball, I think he can do well for himself.

Minimum wage in the CFL is $50,000 for rookies. Average wage is ~$80,000. That is very good money coming straight out of college. You can make a living in the Canadian Football League doing what you love.

Quarterbacks are ALL considered imports regardless of whether or not they are Canadian. There are actually very few Canadian quarterbacks in the CFL these days because of this.

Good luck to Cato. We all know he can ball, I think he can do well for himself.

There's no rookie minimum, veteran minimum scale like the NFL. The minimum salary, for all players, for 2015 is $51,000 CAD, or $41,400 USD (or so, depending on the exchange rate that day). So, if he makes the Alouettes' roster and is active for the entire season, he'll earn around $41,400 USD base salary.

Reactions: lmckay92
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT