ADVERTISEMENT

Coal Bowl 1 of 7 games...

Funny, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, even for CUSA member Louisville ended up in a much better conference then the Big 2 Little 8

"wvu had some very pitiful numbers in attendance"

Towson 56,414
Oklahoma 61,908
Kansas 52,164
Baylor 60,758
TCU 61,190
Kansas State 47,683

Pitiful?? If these are pitiful than Marsha's whole existence has been pitiful. Oh wait...

1997 Marshall 65,492
2006 Marshall 61,077
2008 Marshall 60,154
2009 Marshall 54,432
2011 Marshall 60,758
2012 Marshall 59,120

That's cute that the wannabe alumni of the safety school of the East Coast try to argue their numbers.
Marshall has a smaller capacity than wvu...naturally, they are going to be smaller.
Marshall also has had a decade of losing...much like the 90's for wvu...and attendance SUCKED for both.

I dare anyone who defends wvu to actually show me their diploma from wvu.

Ahh...silence.

I dare anyone who defends wvu to actually show me their diploma from wvu.

Ahh...silence.

Deafening silence.

WVU's in-state alumni fan base are, mostly, good people. Proud of their school? Of course. But realistic about it, both in academic and athletic terms.

The fixated losers you see posting "But Marshall, blah, blah, blah" and calling Crapridi's show and reading (and ACTUALLY BELIEVING) Vingleberry and Hick-man, and, worse yet, ACTUALLY BELIEVING that taxpayer paid ads about WVU's academic side that racist Gee spends our money to put in the newspaper, have never darkened the door of any college.

Their sad, meaningless lives are brightened by the delusion that "their" school is something other than a fieldfiller in a southwestern desert conference. That what went on in the laughable Leastleftovers was major college football. And, that the people who have an ACTUAL relationship with WVU are not laughing at their sad hilljack asses.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Funny, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, even for CUSA member Louisville ended up in a much better conference then the Big 2 Little 8
And yet MU is rotting in some half assed league with a bunch of FCS newbies.

$20 million a year isn't bad. What kind of peanuts does MU get? Still trying to get that pop tax huh

Reactions: CT Mountaineer
And yet MU is rotting in some half assed league with a bunch of FCS newbies.

$20 million a year isn't bad. What kind of peanuts does MU get? Still trying to get that pop tax huh
You don't have a degree from wvu, thus, your argument is invalid.

But I did hear a slight whisper regarding money from a conference...some $20 million, which is peanuts compared to the spending that the REAL teams like Texas and OU do...$20 million for a school geographically impossible, with little resources within the state, resorting to basically making people get diabetes in order to fund the crappy medical school...$20 million is absorbed quick...

wvu nets a loss in spending now, and will continue to do so in the future.

I've attributed the wvu "fan" behavior to Adler's doctrine of the Inferiority Complex.

Sam C is right when he says the majority of actual wvu alumni in the state, aren't bad.

Those who aren't, are terrible people who need to die from ISIS.

But, there's a reason for it...see, whenever someone puts on a wvu shirt, who didn't go there, they automatically feel maladjusted, and because of this, need to compensate for their lack of attendance for the school, to do this they "need to prove themselves" to real alumni, by acting like a bunch of worthless idiots...spitting on people, insulting people, basically being losers. They believe this will compensate for their lack of a degree from the institution by showing everyone "they're a true fan" and dedicate themselves to something as worthless as wvu.
In reality, they just look like idiots.

It's a rampant thing throughout the state, to overcompensate for something like actually having a diploma from wvu by acting like a total jackass.

You don't have a degree from wvu, thus, your argument is invalid.

But I did hear a slight whisper regarding money from a conference...some $20 million, which is peanuts compared to the spending that the REAL teams like Texas and OU do...$20 million for a school geographically impossible, with little resources within the state, resorting to basically making people get diabetes in order to fund the crappy medical school...$20 million is absorbed quick...

wvu nets a loss in spending now, and will continue to do so in the future.

I think both of you guys need to do some fact checking before blurting out some crazy numbers.

First, what is the reference for $20 million? Big 12 TV revenues were more than that. Marshall's athletic budget is more than that. What is the significance of that number in the overall discussion.

Second, Herdstruck, the WVU athletic budget is around $100 million per year. True, not as big as Texas or Oklahoma but how much do you need to be competitive. WVU does not have a net loss in spending. The athletic department will net about $1 million in profits in FY 2014-15--and that's with only an 85 percent share of Big 12 revenues.

I love a good debate and generally tit-for-tat responses on this board. All I ask is that both of you need to earn your insults with facts and not with hearsay or bullsh*t.

I think both of you guys need to do some fact checking before blurting out some crazy numbers.

First, what is the reference for $20 million? Big 12 TV revenues were more than that. Marshall's athletic budget is more than that. What is the significance of that number in the overall discussion.

Second, Herdstruck, the WVU athletic budget is around $100 million per year. True, not as big as Texas or Oklahoma but how much do you need to be competitive. WVU does not have a net loss in spending. The athletic department will net about $1 million in profits in FY 2014-15--and that's with only an 85 percent share of Big 12 revenues.

I love a good debate and generally tit-for-tat responses on this board. All I ask is that both of you need to earn your insults with facts and not with hearsay or bullsh*t.

That's their cut of being in the conference, $20 million. You spent about $92 million on sports alone (your football budget, I have no idea...) and your revenue was $80 million.

You don't need much to be competitive either...Kansas State spends less and actually makes a significant profit from their approach. While wvu is no Kansas State by any means (about half the tradition of their football team, winning, and overall accomplishments/history) they could look at their approach.
However, wvu is going to try to outspend everyone else, which will leave them in the dust, with no winning either, the fanbase and support will dwindle as well...thus, netting a loss in revenue.
May not be this year, but it will happen. wvu is going to be broke trying to get win #8.

wvu is going to be broke trying to get win #8.

Winner.

The financial spew that you hear from the non-alumni fan base is similar to the spew you hear about the program generally, and it all comes from the same cause, IMHO.

These are very insular people. You have to be insular to buy into the whole USPAM idea. Because if you see the wider world, you realize that USPAM is not all that. That is why most WVU alumni, being educated people who have, mostly, seen a bit of the world, are more realistic.

So you hear all this idiocy about IMG $$. Umm, Spamtard, EVERYBODY has a deal with IMG, or one of its competitors. Everybody. You are not special. You got what the Market bore. So does everybody else. And WV being a tiny media market and WVU having a tiny and fairweather fanbase, the Market bore less for you than about any other "power 5" team I can think of. UK just signed for $210M PLUS 70% of any profit over $210M PLUS a free baseball park, for media and signage rights NOT including Rupp Arena (which belongs to the county). UK. Imagine what Indiana gets. Or Illinois. Or Cal. Or Alabama. Or Texas (hint: there are more people in Dallas County, Texas than in West Virginia, and Texas has 253 more counties).

And you hear all this idiocy about Big 12 TV money. Umm, Spamtard, EVERYBODY gets money from the conference TV deals. You get your share, nothing more. And your carve out "third tier" rights are on a channel (ROOT Pittsburgh) that does not even cover the whole state, while everybody else is selling a five state region in the actual Big 12 area, and Texas has its own NATIONAL network. You are not special. You are behind.

And you hear people who ACTUALLY BELIEVE the idiotic and totally refuted "self-supporting" lie. No person with a 5th grade grasp of math spends more than 10 seconds before laughing out loud.

Ollie took a fanbase that was content to buy into the idiocy that beating Syracuse was significant, and, rejected by the ACC and laughed out of the room by the Big 10 and by the Greatest Conference In The History Of The World (SEC, SEC, SEC...) took the "program" to be the 12th choice for field filler in the Texas-Oklahoma conference.

WVU takes in mid-level money, spends it all plus more taxpayer money, and is breaking itself in an vain attempt to win 8 game and avoid the Weed Whacker Bowl.

I'm convinced that the majority of non wvu alumni, simply read headlines and roll with that as part of their arguments...beats the hell out of actually reading and comprehending what's written.

You were a Tron Martinez fumble from knocking off Bill Stewart in 2010.
Maybe so, Dan, but the two programs are moving in totally different directions now that the Power 5 has essentially formed their own division. That $80 million per year West Virginia budget is set to grow to $87 million per year next year, will climb to around $100 million the year after that, and Marshall is mired with losing millions per year ($15.1 million last year alone). Not saying that to be critical of anybody... just stating the obvious.

WV is interested in having regular home and home OOC series with old rivals... Penn State, Maryland, Pitt, and Virginia Tech. They are content to play other Power 5 top tier teams at neutral sites. That works for everyone, and it is nothing against Marshall. They just don't feel that series is in their best economic interest unless it is played in Morgantown. Anybody with a business sense can figure that out.

That's nothing against Marshall either. There isn't even anybody currently in the Administration at WVU who was around when the Pruett stuff happened. They are all removed from the bickering, and are simply trying to run things like a business... which is their job. And to those who want to claim WV is somehow losing money with the athletic program that is simply not true. There are years when there is a deficit when they have unusual expenditures like building facilities, but the use reserve funds and donations to cover that. On a revenue-expense basis the West Virginia athletic program ranks in the Top 30 nationally, and that will only get better in the next couple years.

WV does not claim to be Texas, Alabama, or Ohio State. Those programs are in a class by themselves financially, especially Texas, but WV is on very solid financial footing and ranks at least average with teams in all Power 5 conferences.

Last edited:
Oh god...I thought your loser self was banned from here...

About the only sensible thing you said was the P-5 conference was set to form their own division of football.

Thing is...that doesnt involve wvu...because wvu can only dream to be Alabama, Florida, Texas, PSU, etc.

The supposed "rival" of wvu...if PSU calls themselves that of yours...will drop your game and throw pocket change to get a better opponent.

Ugh...I can't believe you're here...you suck at life.

Oh god...I thought your loser self was banned from here...

About the only sensible thing you said was the P-5 conference was set to form their own division of football.

Thing is...that doesnt involve wvu...because wvu can only dream to be Alabama, Florida, Texas, PSU, etc.

The supposed "rival" of wvu...if PSU calls themselves that of yours...will drop your game and throw pocket change to get a better opponent.

Ugh...I can't believe you're here...you suck at life.
Well, sorry you want to make something personal that isn't, and resort to name calling because you don't have a counter point, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all works out now, won't we?

Yes...let's take a look at this.

Wvu gets roughly $20 million a year to spend on all athletics. Yes, that's miles away from us. But factor in...

Holgs' contract...$2.3 million.
Huggies' contract...$1.5 million.
Assistant coaches salaries...approx. $4.5 million.
Misc...oh...about $2 million (equipment, athletic trainers, misc travel funds and expenses).

Flight to Austin, Texas $500.00 (approx.). multiply that by 115 = $57,500 x 6 away games a year = $345,000 a season just to fly your football team out there.
Basketball team...25 people x 500.00 = $12,500 x 15 away games = $200,000 in travel for your team a season.
Multiply that by 2 because you have a women's team as well...$400,00 spent just in basketball travel alone.
I don't know how many players are on each team, average them likely is around 15 or so.
You have 10 women's sports and 5 men's sports. No women's sport generates revenue..so for each one, you lose money, and a lot of it since travel is so much longer.

Hotels for these teams...approx. $180.00 for the night. Multiply that by 115 = $20,700 x 6 away games =$124,000 spent on the football team for staying in a hotel. $144,000 for mens and womens basketball teams combined. $268,000 for your major sports to lodge in a season.

Just a rough estimate...we're looking at $10.3 million on coaching salaries alone. $745,000 for travel in mens and womens basketball and football. $1.013 million in lodging and travel total just for your major programs. You're already halfway over the mark. I did not include the minor sports either in hotels...nor did I include recruiting budgets.
While the idea of that money sounds lucrative, the cost versus return, is pitiful for wvu.
The real figures are available if you care to research and find them, but your calculations are way off base.

They charter flights for far less money than that, and get group rates in hotels for far less that that too. Every team has travel expenses, and it costs Marshall as much to fly out to play Rice as it does WV to fly out to play Texas. The difference is the amount of money received for making the trips.

My counter point is basically what has been said all along...and is a mere dream for 95% of NCAA football.

wvu is bleeding money keeping up with the established Big 12. They do not have a media market because Pitt took theirs with them to the ACC.
They have a poor economic city...and if you think small business is something to be proud of...TCU is in a city with the highest concentration of millionaires per capita in America.
wvu was routinely rejected by geographically sensible conferences.
The fanbase is fickle...do you think they are going to want to stick around and watch a team go 4-8 each season with 3 wins against Kansas, ISU, and Georgia Southern and an occasional win against someone noteworthy?
wvu is also going to struggle to make a profit...they barely made 1 million this season...with a team as bad if not worse...travel, and now...stipends for ALL athletes with all of whom minus one...net the school a loss in revenue.

You don't have to sit around and see...you just have to look at Marshall in 2005...going to C-USA where we had piss poor leadership and terrible coaching...to a conference based in Texas with schools that had more financial resources than we did...it took Marshall a decade to get over it all.
It could take wvu even longer...

Hell, wvu in any real conference...couldnt compete at all.
It took defections from real programs and additions of lesser known ones...as well as a lack of a confrence title game and a constantly debated BCS bid to allow wvu to even be something.

wvu has no prayer making it in...and all the money and time and lovingly dumb dreams...for nothing.

I guess we will see...lol.

That's their cut of being in the conference, $20 million. You spent about $92 million on sports alone (your football budget, I have no idea...) and your revenue was $80 million.

You don't need much to be competitive either...Kansas State spends less and actually makes a significant profit from their approach. While wvu is no Kansas State by any means (about half the tradition of their football team, winning, and overall accomplishments/history) they could look at their approach.
However, wvu is going to try to outspend everyone else, which will leave them in the dust, with no winning either, the fanbase and support will dwindle as well...thus, netting a loss in revenue.
May not be this year, but it will happen. wvu is going to be broke trying to get win #8.
I'm not going to address the comments about Kansas State, as that is your opinion and you're entitled to that as much as I am mine, but your $92 million figure is very misleading. The actual revenue and expense streams at WV show a profit for the athletic department. When they have unusual expenses such as building significant facilities, that is counted as an expense but that expense is paid from a combination of reserve funds from prior profitable years and donations. That was the case with the figure you are quoting. There was no deficit... there was the building of a football team facility that included a team theater, individual position film viewing the meeting rooms, and so forth.

Actually Kansas State has been profitable for a very long time. They have an atheltic department who might be the best due to their ability to make profits.

Doesnt matter what the money spent was on...they spent it and didnt get money back.

My counter point is basically what has been said all along...and is a mere dream for 95% of NCAA football.

wvu is bleeding money keeping up with the established Big 12. They do not have a media market because Pitt took theirs with them to the ACC.
They have a poor economic city...and if you think small business is something to be proud of...TCU is in a city with the highest concentration of millionaires per capita in America.
wvu was routinely rejected by geographically sensible conferences.
The fanbase is fickle...do you think they are going to want to stick around and watch a team go 4-8 each season with 3 wins against Kansas, ISU, and Georgia Southern and an occasional win against someone noteworthy?
wvu is also going to struggle to make a profit...they barely made 1 million this season...with a team as bad if not worse...travel, and now...stipends for ALL athletes with all of whom minus one...net the school a loss in revenue.

You don't have to sit around and see...you just have to look at Marshall in 2005...going to C-USA where we had piss poor leadership and terrible coaching...to a conference based in Texas with schools that had more financial resources than we did...it took Marshall a decade to get over it all.
It could take wvu even longer...

Hell, wvu in any real conference...couldnt compete at all.
It took defections from real programs and additions of lesser known ones...as well as a lack of a confrence title game and a constantly debated BCS bid to allow wvu to even be something.

wvu has no prayer making it in...and all the money and time and lovingly dumb dreams...for nothing.

I guess we will see...lol.
I know you want to believe that, and there is some truth to what you are saying. There is no question that WV must spend money to compete in terms of facilities with the larger programs we are playing these days, and it is doing that as you pointed out. What you are missing is the income differential that is paying for those facility improvements. They are not running around helter skelter spending money... they are spending money guaranteed from future media income and donated funds. Last year alone someone donated $25 million.

You probably haven't been to Morgantown in recent years, so you would have no way to know what's happening around here, but we have one of the best economies in the country and are highly ranked by Forbes and other publications for economic growth. Our state is poor, that's true, but Mon County is not with a University employing 7,000 people, healthcare facilities employing 8,000 people, several federal facilities and research organizations employing thousands, a major pharmaceutical company and so forth. There is growth and construction everywhere you look here.
I'm not saying we are as rich as Austin, Texas, but Morgantown is definitely an up and coming city.

I have to be honest here too... our city is doing very well in spite of having a city government that is stuck in the stone ages and totally lacks vision. Other factors are driving the growth. I would love to trade our city council for the one in Huntington and borrow Huntington's mayor. He has great vision, and I don't think you will find anybody who has done more with what he has to work with. He is definitely a winner.

One other thing I want to mention. WV's fan base is not restricted to our state. If you look at the media maps, you will see that the western half of Maryland is primarily Mountaineer fans in terms of television audience, and in PA, only Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) itself has as many Pitt fans as West Virginia fans. WV dominates the media in Greene, Washington, and the bottom half of Fayette counties in PA. There is even a county in Virginia that has more WV fans than any other school. Our media ratings are about #32 in the country... not too bad for a school from a small, poor state.

As to not being able to compete with the big boys... I will just point to the 3 BCS bowl wins in recent history... Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange. WV alone has almost as many BCS wins as the entire ACC combined. Losing seasons are few and far between here, regardless of the opponents we are playing. Will we win as many as in the Big East? Not likely. The XII overall has better competition. Right now our attendance situation, as much as anything, is being hurt by the economic situation in the southern part of our state. Many of our southern fans are having trouble making games due to layoffs in the mines there, and we don't have any $10 tickets here. The absolute minimum for a season ticket is $395, and the vast majority of seats require a donation of at least $100.

Last edited:
Up and coming on a very small scale. You're competing with Austin, Dallas, Norman, etc., all of whom have much, much larger economies.
In case you haven't noticed, that's the whole direction of college football, who has the biggest and the best of everything?
Thing is, the economy of wvu is contingent upon students...the majority of the cities I listed, don't need the school, while the school certainly helps a great deal, the economies of most are just fine entirely on their own.
Hell, I could brag that NDSU's team is up and coming and North Dakota as a state, is up and coming, oh wait, they already are, and are embarrassing WV at an astonishing rate economically.

Yes, guaranteed revenues, but do you think Texas or OU or even OSU and Michigan enjoy sharing anything with underachievers?
The P-5 schools, the ones in the upper tier, are considering even breaking away from their own bretheren and forming their own division of football...leaving teams like Iowa State, Kansas, Purdue, Indiana, and wvu...in the dust.
Your conference and essentially any of wvu's existence is relied HEAVILY upon Texas. If Texas is happy, then wvu is still alive. If Texas is not happy, Texas will get what they want...which means a whole ton of crap for wvu.
If this happens, kiss the economy of mon county goodbye...WV has a difficult time as it is, keeping people within the state, just another incentive to leave because the football team is terrible and nobody wants to live on a hill.
wvu is spending as much as they can, for good reason...it's like a kid who got $100.00 and has never had more than $5.00, but the problem is, in a few years, things could change and the Big 12 could easily dissolve...your spending would rely on next year's revenue, with it gone, you'll be broke trying to pay it back.

Up and coming on a very small scale. You're competing with Austin, Dallas, Norman, etc., all of whom have much, much larger economies.
In case you haven't noticed, that's the whole direction of college football, who has the biggest and the best of everything?
Thing is, the economy of wvu is contingent upon students...the majority of the cities I listed, don't need the school, while the school certainly helps a great deal, the economies of most are just fine entirely on their own.
Hell, I could brag that NDSU's team is up and coming and North Dakota as a state, is up and coming, oh wait, they already are, and are embarrassing WV at an astonishing rate economically.

Yes, guaranteed revenues, but do you think Texas or OU or even OSU and Michigan enjoy sharing anything with underachievers?
The P-5 schools, the ones in the upper tier, are considering even breaking away from their own bretheren and forming their own division of football...leaving teams like Iowa State, Kansas, Purdue, Indiana, and wvu...in the dust.
Your conference and essentially any of wvu's existence is relied HEAVILY upon Texas. If Texas is happy, then wvu is still alive. If Texas is not happy, Texas will get what they want...which means a whole ton of crap for wvu.
If this happens, kiss the economy of mon county goodbye...WV has a difficult time as it is, keeping people within the state, just another incentive to leave because the football team is terrible and nobody wants to live on a hill.
wvu is spending as much as they can, for good reason...it's like a kid who got $100.00 and has never had more than $5.00, but the problem is, in a few years, things could change and the Big 12 could easily dissolve...your spending would rely on next year's revenue, with it gone, you'll be broke trying to pay it back.
To tell you the truth, I have often wondered why Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Notre Dame don't form their own league, and who knows... someday that could happen. But I doubt it. Every one of those programs likes being a big fish in a fairly large pond. I don't think it can be doubted that money is the primary driver, but it is not the only driver.

Texas schools have actually found that they like having WV in their league for one main reason... like most schools, they have large alumni bases in the huge eastern cities of NYC area and DC/Baltimore. Playing WV gives those folks the opportunity to see their teams play at least once every other year in football, and yearly in basketball. They send throngs to the games... even the baseball games surprisingly. I'm talking busloads of fans.

It is turning out to be a win-win for everyone involved, and with the great OOC opponents we have coming here, adding an old rival or two a year making for a fairly close away game makes things work out well. That was hard to do before due to the conference switches and so forth, but now that things are settling down, the old rivals are starting to step up to the plate and wanting to play us.

But, I live here... and I can tell you that while our economy is greatly helped by Mountaineer athletics, it is not predicated on it. You really should stop by when you get a chance to see for yourself. No... it isn't as large an economy as Norman or Austin, but it is getting larger as we write this, and many around here feel it is just about large enough. We don't want the problems that come along with being a really big city. Personally, I'd like to see it settle in at about 40,000 permanent residents to go along with the 30,000 students.

Of all the rediculious spews that WVU sends out, the idea that WVU sports either makes money or breaks even is the one that befuddles me the most.

Of course, it simply is not true. A child's grasp of math is all that is needed to know better. It dumb, and people that believe it are dumb.

But the real point is WHY? Why is this lie so important? WVU's other idiotic spews have changed over the years and decades, but the one constant has been this lie, the most transparent lie it tells? WHY?

If WVU management came out and said "depending on how you account for the program's use of state owned assets and non-departmental employees, and the use of state funds for construction of athletic facilities, WVUl loses between $XM and $XM per year, and so do most state colleges similarly situated." about 50 MU fans would laugh, and 50 anti-sports left wingnuts and 50 anti-tax right wingnuts would yell about it, and NO ONE ELSE WOULD CARE. The hilljack non-alumni have USPAM's back and would say "well, usens is good and if some of my tax money (forgeting for a second that most don't really actually pay any taxes) goes for wesens and our (sic) team, then that there is fine wis me".

Why lie? No thinking person buys the lie and it just makes you look dishonest in other aspects.

Wow...you really think because the east coast alumni want to see Texas play is the reason wvu was added? Sure sounds like it because you literally had nothing else to add.
I am convinced CT never went to Marshall (something he claims in order to defend himself against biased opinions cause now he lives in America's cesspool morgantown) nor wvu at that matter since he is doing what all "fans" do...elevate wvu to be worth more than they are.
Do you honestly believe that the Big 12 alumni...on the east coast...made enough noise for the conference to abandon their initial plans and add wvu? The Big 12's alumni are heavily in the midweet and west coast. East coast is peppered with them and hardly something anyone in the big 12 has mentioned as being something noteworthy, "Oh boy, our few alumni on the east can see wvu get ass reamed...thanks wvu for existing!"
Morgantown is barely under 30K people...the town and city would die without wvu...ANY town in the state would be the same...several cities with major schools would have big declines...maybe not die...but serious dips. Hell, the only reason wvu has good small businesses is because of the near double population increase from students and...well well well...THE SCHOOL! Why else would anyone be there? Your point is like giving someone a hundred darts to hit a bullseye and when they do, they brag about how comparable they are to Phil Taylor (best darter in the world).

Yes. The major schools will form their own league eventually. I have often said why they wouldn't/shouldn't...because I think it will bite them in the ass if they do. But theybhave said they will and likely have a whole scenario planned out...no doubt they thought of this. It would end up having wvu and MU in the same division...
Its because the name brand of school...TV wouldnl make a killing in revenue for Alabama vs. USC each year as a conference game vs. Alabama vs. Vanderbilt. Same with the Big 12...too many scrubs vs. Marquee matchups.

Wow...you really think because the east coast alumni want to see Texas play is the reason wvu was added? Sure sounds like it because you literally had nothing else to add.
I am convinced CT never went to Marshall (something he claims in order to defend himself against biased opinions cause now he lives in America's cesspool morgantown) nor wvu at that matter since he is doing what all "fans" do...elevate wvu to be worth more than they are.
Do you honestly believe that the Big 12 alumni...on the east coast...made enough noise for the conference to abandon their initial plans and add wvu? The Big 12's alumni are heavily in the midweet and west coast. East coast is peppered with them and hardly something anyone in the big 12 has mentioned as being something noteworthy, "Oh boy, our few alumni on the east can see wvu get ass reamed...thanks wvu for existing!"
Morgantown is barely under 30K people...the town and city would die without wvu...ANY town in the state would be the same...several cities with major schools would have big declines...maybe not die...but serious dips. Hell, the only reason wvu has good small businesses is because of the near double population increase from students and...well well well...THE SCHOOL! Why else would anyone be there? Your point is like giving someone a hundred darts to hit a bullseye and when they do, they brag about how comparable they are to Phil Taylor (best darter in the world).

Yes. The major schools will form their own league eventually. I have often said why they wouldn't/shouldn't...because I think it will bite them in the ass if they do. But theybhave said they will and likely have a whole scenario planned out...no doubt they thought of this. It would end up having wvu and MU in the same division...
Its because the name brand of school...TV wouldnl make a killing in revenue for Alabama vs. USC each year as a conference game vs. Alabama vs. Vanderbilt. Same with the Big 12...too many scrubs vs. Marquee matchups.

Latest population estimates from the Census folks place our "permanent" population at just over 32,000 people and growing at between 1 1/2% and 2 1/2% per year. That is projected to continue for at least the next 20 years. Various things give us an edge in terms of growth... proximity to major population centers being huge among them, but other things such as a relatively young permanent population compared with other parts of our state, and very high average educational attainment level of our population, the proximity to awesome outdoor venues, the absence of ghetto areas and comparatively low crime rates, and the very low unemployment rate largely due to some of the above factors included.

The University expects to grow to a population of about 42,000 in the next decade or so, but much of that growth will be in online students. 32,000 is where they want to cap Morgantown campuses enrollment (with an emphasis on graduate students), and other students will be enrolled in campuses outside of Morgantown.

I don't think I said that the main reason we are in the XII is because of the other schools' east coast alumni. To clarify, the activity of that group is an unexpected consequence of the move to that conference, and that is viewed as a positive by everyone involved.

As to the really top programs forming their own league, if and when they do that, that will leave another 50 or so teams in the Power 5 leagues that will form their own new leagues that are maybe a slight notch below them in income, but not in competition. And, the income will still be great. It is not something we are losing sleep about in Morgantown. There would be plenty of good programs with which to affiliate.

Your opinions of why WV was invited to the XII are fine for you, if that is what you want to believe. In my view, we ended up in the best possible position for our program, and I sure wouldn't trade it for a spot in the ACC, proximity not withstanding. Our program has great competition in every sport, and is making a ton of money. Old rivals are starting to step to the plate to play us with our available openings. We really couldn't ask for more. There is nothing wrong with being a Top 30 athletic program in Division 1, when there are 64 Power 5 programs, and a gazillion in the lower echelons wishing they were in a Power 5 league. Some of them are even wishing to be in a higher rated non Power 5 league.

Last edited:
All I ask is that both of you need to earn your insults with facts and not with hearsay or bullsh*t.

Problem: if they don't base their insults on "hearsay or bullsh*t", they have no response.

Sad (for them) but oh sooooo true!

Problem: if they don't base their insults on "hearsay or bullsh*t", they have no response.

Sad (for them) but oh sooooo true!

I don't mind so much the "hearsay" or "bs" but could someone disabuse me of the notion that when a MU-WVU debate fires up that one side of the discourse is allowed to incorporate practically every school in the nation as an antagonist against the other ?

And if the debate were simply MU vs. WVU what would the general consensus be as to who has the better athletic department based on facts?

Reactions: JCT1
I don't mind so much the "hearsay" or "bs" but could someone disabuse me of the notion that when a MU-WVU debate fires up that one side of the discourse is allowed to incorporate practically every school in the nation as an antagonist against the other ?

And if the debate were simply MU vs. WVU what would the general consensus be as to who has the better athletic department based on facts?
Speaking of hearsay.. well soon to be fact.. Huggins couldn't get out of this years CC contract, but it is the last for a while. Should hear more when it gets closer to December

Speaking of hearsay.. well soon to be fact.. Huggins couldn't get out of this years CC contract, but it is the last for a while. Should hear more when it gets closer to December

Well we will win, keep the trophy for a long time till it's renwed...and Huggins can spew rants about being lost in Huntington and continue to apply aloe vera to his asshole for that gang rape he took in the NCAA tournament.

I feel Creepers got the best of Sad Sam & Nehlen sealed the deal for wvu. I too would love to play the eers annually, however, we are light years away from being what wvu has achieved on the gridiron & hoops court. We have only sold out The Joan TWICE since going D-1 (thanks eers fans that purchased Marshall season tickets). We average at best----5300 fans for basketball, even, with one of our own coaching the team. I BET WE WILL NOT HAVE MORE THAN 27K when the Boilermakers (Purdue) invades The Joan Sept 3. Sad fact that we don't do a better job of filling the seats. Our FAN BASE is growing OLDER, our graduates are MOVING TO OTHER STATES TO BETTER THEIR LIVES, the average Huntington fan would rather do other "stuff" than walk up & purchase a ticket to HERD Football. The folks that live in West Virginia are EERS supporters first.....Marshall receives support from Southern West Virginia and small parts of Ohio. It has been this way since the beginning of time----no reason to believe it will EVER change! This is factual. Marshall does not play big name schools (WVU does). "We do more with less" is true. Our facilities are DIRTY & AGING. We play BASEBALL like nomads......games played here & there! Our Baseball team has not earned a berth in the C-USA tournament in FOUR YEARS!

I love MARSHALL...I graduated from Marshall. But I understand the TRUE FACTS. We are a long way from what WVU offers the state of West Virginia! BE HAPPY WITH WHAT WE OFFER OUR SELECT FANS. BE HAPPY TO SCREAM.....WE ARE -------MARSHALL. Accept the fact we play teams like Charlotte, WKU, La Tech, Rice, So. Miss. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Oklahoma State dot the eers annual schedule. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

HerdZilla (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Tell me about it. Envy is eating them alive - literally.

I would feel bad for them, but they bring it on themselves....

I feel bad for you, being the sacrificial lamb of your conference...the homecoming game of everyone.
How does it feel to be humiliated each year "trying" to be one of the big schools?
Oh wait...you "almost" beat everyone, right?

Get a degree from the school first, then you can try to defend it.

I feel Creepers got the best of Sad Sam & Nehlen sealed the deal for wvu. I too would love to play the eers annually, however, we are light years away from being what wvu has achieved on the gridiron & hoops court. We have only sold out The Joan TWICE since going D-1 (thanks eers fans that purchased Marshall season tickets). We average at best----5300 fans for basketball, even, with one of our own coaching the team. I BET WE WILL NOT HAVE MORE THAN 27K when the Boilermakers (Purdue) invades The Joan Sept 3. Sad fact that we don't do a better job of filling the seats. Our FAN BASE is growing OLDER, our graduates are MOVING TO OTHER STATES TO BETTER THEIR LIVES, the average Huntington fan would rather do other "stuff" than walk up & purchase a ticket to HERD Football. The folks that live in West Virginia are EERS supporters first.....Marshall receives support from Southern West Virginia and small parts of Ohio. It has been this way since the beginning of time----no reason to believe it will EVER change! This is factual. Marshall does not play big name schools (WVU does). "We do more with less" is true. Our facilities are DIRTY & AGING. We play BASEBALL like nomads......games played here & there! Our Baseball team has not earned a berth in the C-USA tournament in FOUR YEARS!

I love MARSHALL...I graduated from Marshall. But I understand the TRUE FACTS. We are a long way from what WVU offers the state of West Virginia! BE HAPPY WITH WHAT WE OFFER OUR SELECT FANS. BE HAPPY TO SCREAM.....WE ARE -------MARSHALL. Accept the fact we play teams like Charlotte, WKU, La Tech, Rice, So. Miss. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Oklahoma State dot the eers annual schedule. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

HerdZilla (Sweeney) in Charlotte

KA hates you...as does every other NC school you claim to be a fan of.
You shaped up when Marshall was good again, but nobody will forget how you enjoyed bashing Marshall when they were down and somehow became a Charlotte fan...they're going to suck. In fact, when Marshall puts 50+ on them...I want you to get tarred and feathered and cluck like a chicken. Will you do that?

MY REPLY WAS DELETED......Sad day in Herd Nation that some "Can Not Handle the TRUTH"......

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

I BET WE WILL NOT HAVE MORE THAN 27K when the Boilermakers (Purdue) invades The Joan Sept 3.

You bet what? How about this: Ban Bet - if the announced attendance is more than 27,000 then you have to stay off Herd Nation until the final whistle of the National Championship game. Under 27k and I will accept the ban.

In or out, Gary?

Clarkzilla225 in Huntington

ANNOUNCED ATTENDANCE? What an idiot you are Clarkbar. I bet (A case of Captain Morgan) there will not be 27K asses in The Joan on Sept. 3. NOT announced attendance since anyone that buys a ticket is CONSIDERED present. You are one stupid person!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

KA hates you...as does every other NC school you claim to be a fan of.
You shaped up when Marshall was good again, but nobody will forget how you enjoyed bashing Marshall when they were down and somehow became a Charlotte fan...they're going to suck. In fact, when Marshall puts 50+ on them...I want you to get tarred and feathered and cluck like a chicken. Will you do that?

HerdStruck,,,I have NEVER been a 49ers fan. You know NOTHING of which you speak. I cheer & support UNC-Chapel Hill. I like Duke basketball. I support Clemson...NOT South Carolina Cocks!

Get your facts straight!

HerdZilla22

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT