ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Committee being formed to assist with search for next football coach

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Marshall University President Jerome A. Gilbert said today he is immediately forming a search committee to help identify candidates to lead the school’s football program.

The university announced this morning that it would not be renewing the contract of head football coach John “Doc” Holliday.

Gilbert said Athletic Director Mike Hamrick will serve as chairman of the search committee, which will ultimately recommend the successful candidate to the president. The president will then present a contract to the Board of Governors for approval.

According to Gilbert, the committee will be made up of eight to 12 members representing various constituencies of the Marshall University community.

“We have already started reaching out to potential committee representatives and look forward to moving forward very quickly,” he said. “I have great confidence that this process and the input of the entire committee will help us hire the best coach for our football program.

“Just to be clear, there was no outside influences in this decision. I consulted with the athletic director and made this decision.”

He said a number of possible candidates have already reached out to indicate interest in the position.

He added, “At Marshall, we have a storied program, loyal fans and the foundation in place to field successful teams on and off the playing field. I am encouraged by the early indications that the pool of candidates is deep and will allow us to identify and select the right person.”

Reactions: caliherd
Gilbert said Athletic Director Mike Hamrick will serve as chairman of the search committee, which will ultimately recommend the successful candidate to the president. The president will then present a contract to the Board of Governors for approval.

An early candidate just announced by Mike Hamrick is an unknown by the name of Hon Jolliday.

Word on the street is Hamrick is really excited about this prospect.

The Committee:

NqYOc76l_400x400.jpg
NqYOc76l_400x400.jpg
NqYOc76l_400x400.jpg

"I am encouraged by the early indications that the pool of candidates is deep and will allow us to identify and select the right person.”

I realize that Gilbert probably doesn't know a knee pad from a goal post, and that is OK. Not his job. But that is the most cynical and false statement made vis MU athletics since KO was here. The pool of candidates will be tiny and will not contain the right person. Any promising up and comer is going to pass on this sorry fanbase and look for a better job. We will settle, not select.

The people's moderator gladly accepts his appointment to the committee.

Thank you Sir, and can you please issue a written warning to SamC to come up with something new to post?

I feel his repetitiveness is a side effect of his meds, but nonetheless, we have standards to uphold on here.

Reactions: HerdFan2018
I realize that Gilbert probably doesn't know a knee pad from a goal post, and that is OK. Not his job. But that is the most cynical and false statement made vis MU athletics since KO was here. The pool of candidates will be tiny and will not contain the right person. Any promising up and comer is going to pass on this sorry fanbase and look for a better job. We will settle, not select.
Why do you hate Marshall?

Bet he knows more about football than you.

Nor do you, I'm guessing.

Well, when the "Committee" has its "pool", I'm sure the first question most of us on here want answered is: did BOTH Rifle and SamC survive the first round of cuts? ;)

Reactions: big_country90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT