ADVERTISEMENT

Connections

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
More than a dozen times, I’ve seen morons on here claim that Huff doesn’t have the connections in the industry to hire quality assistant coaches. Of all the dumb things said on here, that may be the dumbest.

The guy has coached at Penn State, Alabama, Mississippi State, Vandy, Western Michigan, two FCS schools, and in the NFL. You don’t think the guy knows a coach or two? You’re fools.

The coaching world isn’t usually about hiring people you know directly. It’s about hiring somebody who knows somebody you trust. And in that case, Huff has some of the biggest resources in the industry.

Do you know what the problem is? It’s Marshall. It’s in a shit town in a shit state. If you are a coach with children, try telling your wife that you’re going to move to a place with a shitty public education system in a town she will despise for barely enough money to pay the electricity bill.

Do you see what we pay assistants? Go look at Chevis Jackson’s salary. Look at what Shannon Morrison made. Go look at Telly Lockett’s salary. Check out Ralph’s salary. It’s shit pay for FBS coaches.

The issue isn’t that Huff doesn’t have more than enough connections. It’s that we have the pay and other important factors to only afford retreads from other schools or unestablished coaches.

Reactions: JudgeDD and jete2
More than a dozen times, I’ve seen morons on here claim that Huff doesn’t have the connections in the industry to hire quality assistant coaches. Of all the dumb things said on here, that may be the dumbest.

The guy has coached at Penn State, Alabama, Mississippi State, Vandy, Western Michigan, two FCS schools, and in the NFL. You don’t think the guy knows a coach or two? You’re fools.

The coaching world isn’t usually about hiring people you know directly. It’s about hiring somebody who knows somebody you trust. And in that case, Huff has some of the biggest resources in the industry.

Do you know what the problem is? It’s Marshall. It’s in a shit town in a shit state. If you are a coach with children, try telling your wife that you’re going to move to a place with a shitty public education system in a town she will despise for barely enough money to pay the electricity bill.

Do you see what we pay assistants? Go look at Chevis Jackson’s salary. Look at what Shannon Morrison made. Go look at Telly Lockett’s salary. Check out Ralph’s salary. It’s shit pay for FBS coaches.

The issue isn’t that Huff doesn’t have more than enough connections. It’s that we have the pay and other important factors to only afford retreads from other schools or unestablished coaches.
The only cost of living item that's cheap in Huntington is housing. All the utilities are both among the most expensive and least reliable in the lower 48.

If a coach's SO is a professional of one sort or another, this tri-state region has limited opportunities for outsiders.

My wife described Huntington perfectly: A butt-ugly town that gets cold.

Is that why New York college sports suck so bad now?

Most accurate description ever posted on this site.

Not debating the original post. I am involved in recruiting employees to the area in another industry, and all of these things are an issue. Some connection helps, which is likely why Marshall likely had 2-3 of the coaches they did. It isn’t an insurmountable problem though. That said, I understand Huff to have a larger support staff including non “on-field” coaches than MU has had here in the past. I realize this is what bigger schools do, but I’m curious what @riflearm2 thinks of that versus putting more money into assistant salaries. Not a rhetorical question. For every decision there is a sacrifice.

Reactions: elginherd
Why doesn't Marshall just give up, close the school and/or have the state move it somewhere else? Just curious, for those of you who are always bashing Huntington and Marshall's existence there, did you go to school there? If so, why in the hexx did you? Why would people purposefully put themselves in a place they think so little of, and bash so often? I"m serious, why subject oneself to such a condition?

Not debating the original post. I am involved in recruiting employees to the area in another industry, and all of these things are an issue. Some connection helps, which is likely why Marshall likely had 2-3 of the coaches they did. It isn’t an insurmountable problem though. That said, I understand Huff to have a larger support staff including non “on-field” coaches than MU has had here in the past. I realize this is what bigger schools do, but I’m curious what @riflearm2 thinks of that versus putting more money into assistant salaries. Not a rhetorical question. For every decision there is a sacrifice.
My first year in coaching - 2012 - I was at North Texas. I was an unpaid QC/analyst. They didn't have a single paid position outside of the head coach, nine assistants, DFO, and strength coach. Even the GAs only received tuition, food, and housing.

Not only did they not have a single other paid person, but they also didn't have a single person in recruiting. Even though I started off as a QC for offense/quarterbacks, they then eventually had me do the same for special teams . . . and then had me be the only person in the recruiting "department." I was finding and contacting recruits, hosting official visit weekends, and getting kids to commit to me including the #1 JUCO defensive tackle in the country who had offers from Baylor and Miami (which ended up turning into a great story). The special teams coordinator saw what I was doing for offense and recruiting and then asked if I would be a QB for special teams. So I was a QC for offense, assisted coaching the QBs, was a QB for special teams, and was the only person in our recruiting "department" (other than our female student-employees). It showed just how desperate the staff was to try and get rid of some of their responsibilities so they could focus on coaching.

So I think having a staff is important, but at some point, it just gets excessive. From most schools I have seen, a head coach is given a salary pool for the assistant coaches and then a separate pool for off-field staff. I haven't seen an AD hand over a total budget and tell the head coach to split it how he sees fit including for a defensive coordinator and for a fourth offensive analyst. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I just haven't seen it. I haven't seen a "sure, you can pay the DC $40 more, but that means you have to get rid of one of your recruiting assistant" scenarios.

Reactions: WeAreMarshall!!
Why doesn't Marshall just give up, close the school and/or have the state move it somewhere else? Just curious, for those of you who are always bashing Huntington and Marshall's existence there, did you go to school there? If so, why in the hexx did you? Why would people purposefully put themselves in a place they think so little of, and bash so often? I"m serious, why subject oneself to such a condition?
There are lots of reasons to your answers, but I think the more important question is why you deny the things that have been mentioned in this thread. Marshall's assistant coaching salary is very low. Public schools, overall (doesn't mean every single one), are substandard in the state. Huntington has a high crime rate. Huntington and the state are near the bottom of the national rankings in just about all of the things that most people find important. That's not a knock- it's reality of why recruiting assistant coaches (especially those with families) isn't as ideal as say Boca Raton.

Marshall has a highly competitive budget for coaches compared to its SBC peers at $2.76 million last season. That’s $300,000 more than JMU spent, for example. Given that many SBC schools are in less than tier 1 cities, funding doesn’t explain the issue away completely.

Doc had less money to spend for coaches than Huff, but had some good assistants that went on to bigger and better jobs. So pay and location didn’t impede him from hiring.

What I hear from a lot of people around the school and program is simply that Huff just is very unpleasant to be around and work with. Even the Quarterback Club leadership is tired of him and they usually worship the head coach.

Brad needs to sit him down and give him his servant leader speech.

There are lots of reasons to your answers, but I think the more important question is why you deny the things that have been mentioned in this thread. Marshall's assistant coaching salary is very low. Public schools, overall (doesn't mean every single one), are substandard in the state. Huntington has a high crime rate. Huntington and the state are near the bottom of the national rankings in just about all of the things that most people find important. That's not a knock- it's reality of why recruiting assistant coaches (especially those with families) isn't as ideal as say Boca Raton.
Where do you live? I live where the schools are not a bit better, the taxes are higher, the city I'm beside has a couple murders every week, and the majority of those who are capable send their kids to parochial or private schools. Huntington isn't anything special when it comes to challenges, it's just an average mid-southern town with challenges and a University that makes its social and economic capabilities better than most cities its size. I don't know the average assistant's salary, but I do know that we've had some great ones that decided to come there, that became head coaches elsewhere, and a few even came back. I do know that challenges exist and that great folks work to recognize the (as Jim Collins says) hard facts, and address them. And in most cases, it's their attitude that makes a difference of positivity and gains.

Marshall has a highly competitive budget for coaches compared to its SBC peers at $2.76 million last season.
That's inaccurate for a couple of reasons.

1) We are discussing Huff's ability to get coaches and potential barriers to that. The number you used includes the head coach's salary which is illogical for the discussion we are having.
2) You included auxiliary staff salaries. As I mentioned, in most cases, a head coach is given a salary pool for the 10 assistants and strength coach(es) and a separate one for auxiliary staff. When you include the 10 coaches, the numbers are below:

Marshall: $1,273,000

Appalachian State: $1,943,745
Coastal Carolina: $1,793,083
Georgia State: $1,702.682
Old Dominion: $1,646,698
Georgia Southern: $1,450,000
Troy: $1,687.500
Texas State: $1,595,000
South Alabama: $1,567,100
Arkansas State: $1,541,000
Louisiana: $2,179,892
Southern MIss: $1,673,450
ULM: $1,030,400

As you can see, Marshall is 12th out of 13 teams (I left out JMU, as they are still in transitional status). When you add in the salary for the strength coach, Marshall is still 12th out of 13. And it's not even just that they are 12th. It is that they are a distant 12th. The median is $323k more than what Marshall pays. So if we just want to reach the median for the conference, the difference would be almost twice as much as we paid our OC. Imagine if we had $323k extra to split between our two coordinators. That's a game-changer of who you can get. With $323k extra, you could pay a DC $500k and the OC about $315k. That brings in a totally different talent level. And that's just to reach the median!

All the utilities are both among the most expensive and least reliable in the lower 48.

Are you sure about that?

#10 for electricity

#18 for all utilities

I would think Huntington isn't that much higher than the rest of the state.

Where do you live?
My main residence, where I sleep about 160 nights per year, is in Orange Country, California. So not really much to compare with Huntington. Yes, many smaller areas face similar issues, but Huntington also has issues more associated with more populated areas, not to mention the other issues the state seems to always be near the bottom in.

Are you sure about that?

#10 for electricity

#18 for all utilities

I would think Huntington isn't that much higher than the rest of the state.
Christ, you just aren't a bright person.

For the first one, you claimed that WV is 10th. And that's correct if you're claiming that WV is the 10th least expensive for electricity.

But then in the second one, you claimed that WV is 18th. And that would be correct if you're claiming that WV is the 18th most expensive for all utilities. But you're not.

So you're using a number to try to represent WV as the lowest for both, when in reality, one is for the lowest and one is for the most expensive.

Funny that in a thread about connections the self-proclaimed "most connected and wealthiest" person on the board has made no mention that oftentimes donors come with coaches.

When Huff was hired there was at least one other coach that was available that would bring donors with him to Marshall to be able to pay for the very thing that is being debated today.

Certain people at Marshall fumbled that one away...

And maybe someone isn't as connected and wealthy as he likes to let on...

Funny that in a thread about connections the self-proclaimed "most connected and wealthiest" person on the board has made no mention that oftentimes donors come with coaches.

When Huff was hired there was at least one other coach that was available that would bring donors with him to Marshall to be able to pay for the very thing that is being debated today.

This post brought absolutely no value to the board and was your (failed) attempt to continue trying to find anything incorrect that I post all while avoiding that you, like I pointed out in this and other threads, are awful at statistical analysis.

I don't think the issue is entirely with Marshall and the city of Huntington.
I'm not denying it has problems.

But it is how you sell it and what you make of it.

Hell, Huff's wife has been very involved with the community and is active with her presence both professionally and socially. It doesn't, at least, appear that she despises it.

I think it's the lack of faith that Huff could run a program on his own and guarantee you anything that he'd sell you on, to coach with him.

It was pointed out how glaringly bad the hires he made, were, with some either having connections to MU as re-hires, or who had played/spent time in the state itself already.

You mean to tell me he couldn't convince literally anyone else in all the prestigious programs he was a part of, "Hey, come coach with me at Marshall. Yeah, the city sucks and WV is awful, but it's minimum 3 years. We win and we can upgrade getting hired elsewhere"??

He literally couldn't get anyone to come to Marshall for a few years, just so they'd never have to go there again??

I don't know Huff well enough to say if he's just a prick to work under or not, even so, any qualified coordinators would want out and get out of they could. But he couldn't even get anyone notable from his previous stops to come with him.

Even Dan D'A Toni was able to convince a former NBA player who had zero connections with WV, to come here. Sadly, his personal problems got him dismissed and not his need to relocate to a different venue to coach.

While you aren't making the same as some top G5 programs, your life isn't exactly paycheck to paycheck either. You're easily going to make above the median household on your own, it's likely the school has enough connections to get your wife a job in whatever field she is in. You likely get perks of the job, a car or a heavily discounted one, likely a decent rate on rent for your home. I'm sure you can basically choose where you live too.
The education is what you make of it. Huntington HS was able to send a few kids to very prestigious schools, and one back in the day, got a full ride to Yale for football.
I know Midland has notable students on their wall going to very good colleges all over. Winfield HS is always the top or near it in terms of academics as well.
All are very close to your area of employment.

I doubt Huntington/Marshall is nearly the barrier to progress for Huff and his staff that is being spoken about here.

It's interesting to see one of the best recruiters in college football, fail to recruit a decent coaching staff.

Well, I guess Huff could give up a couple hundred grand and we could pay more assistants more.

Now seriously. I have seen Marshall win before. I have seen them win big before with less resources than Huff has. Marshall has never been the richest. Never will be. But, I have seen them beat bigger teams. Hell, one of not so great teams took Ohio State to the wire and a NFL level kicker kicked a 50 plus yarder to win it for them. S

Huff was an unproven coach and not a coordinator. A running back coach. That is fine, but I remember people questioning his staff.

Huff can either coach or he can't. He hired the good old boy nepotism type hires.

Troy Alabama is not exactly a garden spot. They are doing fine.

Last edited:
You mean to tell me he couldn't convince literally anyone else in all the prestigious programs he was a part of, "Hey, come coach with me at Marshall. Yeah, the city sucks and WV is awful, but it's minimum 3 years. We win and we can upgrade getting hired elsewhere"??

He literally couldn't get anyone to come to Marshall for a few years, just so they'd never have to go there again??

This. Well said.

Reactions: marshallsig

I think I know who you are talking about. I wonder if that ship has sailed for good?

I think I know who you are talking about. I wonder if that ship has sailed for good?

Who knows. Gilbert is gone so that is one obstacle out of the way. Some fans heads would explode...

Remember we could have also had Huggins as a basketball coach...

Yale nor any other Ivy League school offers athletic financial aid or merit aid of any kind. However, Harvard does do 100% financial aid to select members of the ice hockey team as the only exception I know.

Now seriously. I have seen Marshall win before. I have seen them win big before with less resources than Huff has.
You have to compare the resources Marshall had then compared to their peers with what Marshall has now compared to their peers.

Back in the Pruett days, Marshall had the best stadium and overall facilities in the conference. Marshall doesn't have that now. Marshall also didn't have a huge recruiting disadvantage in the MAC. Sure, Ohio and Michigan produce a lot more talent than WV, but Marshall was still close enough to those areas to not have much of a disadvantage. In this conference, Marshall has a major disadvantage to schools in Louisiana, Georgia, and Texas, as much like Ohio and Michigan in the MAC, those areas produce a lot more talent than WV. But unlike the MAC, those areas aren't a quick drive away, which hampers recruiting.

I don't know how our budget compared to other MAC teams, but I can't imagine it would have been 12th out of 13 for assistant salary pool.

Marshall didn't have nearly the disadvantages compared to MAC teams as it currently does compared to Sun Belt teams.
Troy Alabama is not exactly a garden spot. They are doing fine.
Troy, though smaller, is substantially better than Huntington. The campus is beautiful. The town is much, much safer. It's within the same distance to a real city (population 200k) than Huntington is to a city a quarter of that size (Charleston). And of course, that area produces far more athletes. Ask any wife of a football coach, and 90%+ will choose Troy over Huntington.

But, I have seen them beat bigger teams. Hell, one of not so great teams took Ohio State to the wire and a NFL level kicker kicked a 50 plus yarder to win it for them.
You're trying to tell Huff that after he just beat ND, VA Tech, and lost by 7 to a top 20 NC State? Doh!

That's inaccurate for a couple of reasons.

1) We are discussing Huff's ability to get coaches and potential barriers to that. The number you used includes the head coach's salary which is illogical for the discussion we are having.
2) You included auxiliary staff salaries. As I mentioned, in most cases, a head coach is given a salary pool for the 10 assistants and strength coach(es) and a separate one for auxiliary staff. When you include the 10 coaches, the numbers are below:

Marshall: $1,273,000

Appalachian State: $1,943,745
Coastal Carolina: $1,793,083
Georgia State: $1,702.682
Old Dominion: $1,646,698
Georgia Southern: $1,450,000
Troy: $1,687.500
Texas State: $1,595,000
South Alabama: $1,567,100
Arkansas State: $1,541,000
Louisiana: $2,179,892
Southern MIss: $1,673,450
ULM: $1,030,400

As you can see, Marshall is 12th out of 13 teams (I left out JMU, as they are still in transitional status). When you add in the salary for the strength coach, Marshall is still 12th out of 13. And it's not even just that they are 12th. It is that they are a distant 12th. The median is $323k more than what Marshall pays. So if we just want to reach the median for the conference, the difference would be almost twice as much as we paid our OC. Imagine if we had $323k extra to split between our two coordinators. That's a game-changer of who you can get. With $323k extra, you could pay a DC $500k and the OC about $315k. That brings in a totally different talent level. And that's just to reach the median!
You forgot to link your source.

I didn't forget. I just didn't think that somebody who has been on the board as long as you have been would:
1) Believe that I was lying
2) Believe that I was wrong

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant
No, I asked because some of your numbers matched the USA Today database while others did not. I was also going to point out that, for example, our last OC made more than Trickett which shows an ability to pay more for the right candidate. We increased the salary for our current DC by $90,000 over what we were paying Guidry.

There’s no rule that says you have to pay your RB coach x amount just because App pays their RB coach x. For example, if we were to hire a successful FCS HC that was currently making $400,000, do we start with an offer of $1,000,000 just because that’s what Coastal pays their HC?

In other words, to say we can’t afford something just because of current salary amounts is looking at it through a peephole. There’s a lot of variables. We were paying Trickett less than Cramsey because he was worth less, not because we couldn’t find another $50,000 for a coach. That’s a few phone calls to get done. If Trickett had been productive you can always give raises, what good would have come from making his salary $300,000 when he took the job?

Also, what that list doesn’t include is the money we are paying for a much deeper staff beyond the 10 assistants. Huff was allowed to add several additional analysts and other off field staff that we never had before.

No, I asked because some of your numbers matched the USA Today database while others did not. I was also going to point out that, for example, our last OC made more than Trickett which shows an ability to pay more for the right candidate. We increased the salary for our current DC by $90,000 over what we were paying Guidry.

There’s no rule that says you have to pay your RB coach x amount just because App pays their RB coach x. For example, if we were to hire a successful FCS HC that was currently making $400,000, do we start with an offer of $1,000,000 just because that’s what Coastal pays their HC?

In other words, to say we can’t afford something just because of current salary amounts is looking at it through a peephole. There’s a lot of variables. We were paying Trickett less than Cramsey because he was worth less, not because we couldn’t find another $50,000 for a coach. That’s a few phone calls to get done. If Trickett had been productive you can always give raises, what good would have come from making his salary $300,000 when he took the job?

Also, what that list doesn’t include is the money we are paying for a much deeper staff beyond the 10 assistants. Huff was allowed to add several additional analysts and other off field staff that we never had before.

Didn't Doc take a pay cut so MU could pay his assistants more?

Also, all of the contracts for head coaches and coordinators have bonus incentives in them based on various things.
I have no idea what specifics would be but maybe:
"X amount of $ for beating your rival."
"X amount of $ for winning a minimum of 6 games."
"X amount of $ for conference title game. X amount of $ for winning it."

It's interesting that the base salary is high enough, but doing your absolute best nets you some insane amounts of cash.

Who knows, maybe get some wealthy donors to give a $10 million payout for a CFP appearance to the next guy?

Can we get a little more deets on this?

Can we get a little more deets on this?

I don't want to speak for them, but believe they are referring to Rich Rodriguez. RichRod showed interest in the job durning the search. Keep in mind this was before he was hired at Jacksonville State.

Regardless how anyone feels about him as a coach, he does come with his own donors that want to see him succeed. Or at least that's what I've always heard. I'm thinking Ken Kendrick for one.

Who knows, maybe get some wealthy donors to give a $10 million payout for a CFP appearance to the next guy?
You've got to be kidding me. This is a fan base that bulks at paying $7-10 a seat for a brand-new baseball stadium.
RichRod showed interest
I'm not sure he showed serious interest. More of a desperate Marshall "fan base" wanting to shove this potential hire in the face of the assholes up north. Another "WV Boy comes home" dreamworld that the area ties itself too.

Most of our coaches don't live in Huntington proper any way. They live in B'ville, Ona or Hurricane areas - the nicer housing developments. Or Stamford Park in Huntington.

Yes. The more appropriate comparison is using MSA which includes those areas.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT