ADVERTISEMENT

Connections

Is Jacksonville State that much better of a job than Marshall?

He wasn't even at Jacksonville State at the time. He was either at ULM as offensive coordinator or out of work all together. When I say he showed interest, I'm just going by what was reported on the premium board back when the search was going on. His name was listed, but then again,
A lot of names where mentioned as reaching out to show interest that never was seriously considered for one reason or another.

Is Jacksonville State a better job than Marshall? I don't think so, but I tend to look at things through green colored glasses.

They pay the same or more than us, and are located in Alabama where there is plenty of local talent to recruit from. However, we play in a stronger conference and have better facilities. The Joan is getting older but our IPF is really top notch.

No, I asked because some of your numbers matched the USA Today database while others did not.
Like which ones?

In other words, to say we can’t afford something just because of current salary amounts is looking at it through a peephole. There’s a lot of variables. We were paying Trickett less than Cramsey because he was worth less, not because we couldn’t find another $50,000 for a coach. That’s a few phone calls to get done. If Trickett had been productive you can always give raises, what good would have come from making his salary $300,000 when he took the job?
Ohhhhh! So instead of getting a more experienced and better OC that requires more money that Huff could easily get, he decided to just sit on the money and go with a less experienced/talented OC? No, that’s not how it works.

The fact is that Marshall has a budget for its coaches that is 12th out of 13 teams. And it isn’t even a close 12th. We are substantially away from being the median.

He wasn't even at Jacksonville State at the time. He was either at ULM as offensive coordinator or out of work all together. When I say he showed interest, I'm just going by what was reported on the premium board back when the search was going on. His name was listed, but then again,
A lot of names where mentioned as reaching out to show interest that never was seriously considered for one reason or another.

Is Jacksonville State a better job than Marshall? I don't think so, but I tend to look at things through green colored glasses.

They pay the same or more than us, and are located in Alabama where there is plenty of local talent to recruit from. However, we play in a stronger conference and have better facilities. The Joan is getting older but our IPF is really top notch.

I believe he was definitely interested. I'm acquainted with a couple of his benefactors (not the one you mentioned) and they (and the one you mentioned) were definitely serious about ponyjng up money to Marshall if he were hired.

My point was in response to someone implying RichRod wasn't interested in the MU job. He later took the Jacksonville State job as you mentioned. He probably would have taken the MU job had it been offered first.

Can we get a little more deets on this?

Wasn't ignoring you. Was just waiting for the "most connected" person on the board to chime in. I think the gist of the matter has been discussed in the subsequent posts. There was interest at the time and there was and likely still is money backing him.

Reactions: mlblack16.
COS and a general manager.....wtf

Wonder how many of those 11 ahead of us in pay have COS and general managers???

Always have to dig deeper into the numbers. They aren't always as they appear, even if USA Today says so...

Huff obsessed with off field stuff.
Yes. "Off the field stuff" involving the football program, is also his responsibility.

It's funny to me that prior to Huff being hired, everyone acknowledged there needed to be updates and changes to the program organization and management based on the ever-changing demands on coaching college football. Combine that with the overwhelming evidence that the Shewey was a dumpster fire in and around the locker room for various reasons. Yes. Interesting that no one wants to acknowledge that now.

Wonder how many of those 11 ahead of us in pay have COS and general managers

Probably several. A simple google search of Appy State"s program turns up a General Manager and a Senior Assistant to the Head Coach (aka COS).

This is just another example of Herd Fans wanting the program to be "Big Time" only to question the need of having the positions necessary to help us catch up to the big time.

Last edited:
This is just another example of Herd Fans wanting to the program to be "Big Time" only to question the need of having the positions necessary to help us catch up to the big time.

While there is some truth to that there are other considerations. Here is a link to NCAA athletic budgets.

You can sort by conference. This still shows MU as C-USA. In that we are 5 out of 13. Comparing us to SBC would put us at 3 just ahead of Alabama St and App St.

Sometimes you have to be quicker and work harder than the other guy. Doing more with less. Look at WKU. They seemed to own us on the gridiron with a smaller athletic budget. Why? They had good coaches at the time, even if they were using WKU as a stepping stone. This isn't what has been happening at MU the last few years.

The story and history of Marshall. Marshall will always do with less...even with a General Manager & COS, which most all other programs our size have.

Then how do you explain Marshall's athletic budget being on the upper half of C-USA and SBC irregardless of the perception here that we are a bottom feeder?

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Then how do you explain Marshall's athletic budget being on the upper half of C-USA and SBC irregardless of the perception here that we are a bottom feeder?
I wasn't making the argument that marshall should do more with less. I wasn't suggesting we were a "bottom feeder" or should remain one. I was simply pointing out to some who bitch about money and salaried positions within the program are generally...without merit.

I wasn't making the argument that marshall should do more with less. I wasn't suggesting we were a "bottom feeder" or should remain one. I was simply pointing out to some who bitch about money and salaried positions within the program are generally...without merit.

I think we are thinking the same same, just saying it in different ways. 👍

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Like which ones?

Ohhhhh! So instead of getting a more experienced and better OC that requires more money that Huff could easily get, he decided to just sit on the money and go with a less experienced/talented OC? No, that’s not how it works.

The fact is that Marshall has a budget for its coaches that is 12th out of 13 teams. And it isn’t even a close 12th. We are substantially away from being the median.
For one, Georgia State you listed as $1.702MM and USA Today has them at $1.54MM. I’ll let you find the rest of your mistakes.

For one, Georgia State you listed as $1.702MM and USA Today has them at $1.54MM. I’ll let you find the rest of your mistakes.
So Marshall is still a distant 12th out of 13? Great.

Now tell us again how Marshall’s coaching salary pool is “highly competitive” with the rest of the conference, but this time try doing it with a straight face.

So Marshall is still a distant 12th out of 13? Great.

Now tell us again how Marshall’s coaching salary pool is “highly competitive” with the rest of the conference, but this time try doing it with a straight face.
You don’t want to recap your other mistakes first?

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
Those are the morons and dumbass fans.

I'm talking about the ones who can toss money around and not blink an eye.
No. Unfortunately, those are most fans of Marshall. Those that give nothing to the school or disappear totally when asked about giving a miniscule $25-50 donation to meet a worthwhile goal. The same ones that usually suggest "someone else should pony up the cash" to do what they claim they want.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Just here to say Troy, Alabama is one of the worst places in the United States, and narrowing the analysis of the Huntington area to just a few blocks in the city limits is both unfair and silly. The area has a ton of problems, but when you expand your horizon to other parts of Cabell, it’s also far from the worst place to live, and I’ve lived plenty of places.

The right head coach can win in the SBC, and will be given what he needs to be successful. Any other take is just simply wrong.

I work in downtown Huntington everyday. It is not as bad as what people try to make out to be. Just stay away from the 6th Avenue Sheetz and some places on the west end and you'll be fine. Pullman, 3rd Avenue, 4th Avenue, and the Southside are all perfectly fine.

And if they ever do the right thing and do away with the recovery houses that bring in a lot of the foot traffic that is a problem, then things will improve even more.

Marshall expanding down 4th Avenue with the school of business and the cyber security school is really nice. As bad as the headache is going on Hal Greer, I'm sure it'll look good when it's all finished and Cabell will probably keep expanding.

I've been around the country enough to that Huntington isn't the best nor worst place to live. Honestly, with Brad Smith at the helm doing big things at Marshall, I think Huntington and Marshall's best days are ahead of it not behind it.

I work in downtown Huntington everyday. It is not as bad as what people try to make out to be. Just stay away from the 6th Avenue Sheetz and some places on the west end and you'll be fine. Pullman, 3rd Avenue, 4th Avenue, and the Southside are all perfectly fine.

And if they ever do the right thing and do away with the recovery houses that bring in a lot of the foot traffic that is a problem, then things will improve even more.

Marshall expanding down 4th Avenue with the school of business and the cyber security school is really nice. As bad as the headache is going on Hal Greer, I'm sure it'll look good when it's all finished and Cabell will probably keep expanding.

I've been around the country enough to that Huntington isn't the best nor worst place to live. Honestly, with Brad Smith at the helm doing big things at Marshall, I think Huntington and Marshall's best days are ahead of it not behind it.
This.

I'm fortunate enough to have the time and means to go to pretty much all MU away football games... Huntington isn't even close to the worst place in the SBC, let alone the country.

The area around Turner Field in Atlanta is a war zone. I literally watched a crack deal, out in the open, at 3 p.m. while I was sitting at a red light a couple blocks from the stadium. Cities are cities, they all have issues. Just because the area around Turner Field is a hell hole, doesn't mean Atlanta as a whole is the same... That goes for Huntington, and everywhere else.

I dont know that I could rank SBC locations based on anything other than my experience... But here are some good, and some not-so-good.

Coastal -- Nice campus, close to the beach, great logistically. Probably the best in the league during the fall (I personally don't care for Myrtle Beach in the busy season but by Sept/Oct its slowed down).
Harrisonburg -- Great immediate location, probably the second nicest in the league overall.
Boone -- Great immediate location, but in the middle of nowhere regionally, and the fans were d-bags.
Norfolk -- Has nice spots, but also terrible spots, net positive but only because I knew where to stay, eat, etc.
Georgia Southern -- Pretty much Huntington south. Some nice areas, some you definitely need to avoid.
Troy -- Small, run down, town in a very depressed part of the country.
Hattiesburg -- Similar to Troy only a bigger version, but they are trying to turn it around. Good football game day experience.
Georgia State -- The two blocks immediately around the stadium are fine, the next several blocks in all directions, you feel like you need a bulletproof vest.

Last edited:
This.

I'm fortunate enough to have the time and means to go to pretty much all MU away football games... Huntington isn't even close to the worst place in the SBC, let alone the country.

The area around Turner Field in Atlanta is a war zone. I literally watched a crack deal, out in the open, at 3 p.m. while I was sitting at a red light a couple blocks from the stadium. Cities are cities, they all have issues. Just because the area around Turner Field is a hell hole, doesn't mean Atlanta as a whole is the same... That goes for Huntington, and everywhere else.

I dont know that I could rank SBC locations based on anything other than my experience... But here are some good, and some not-so-good.

Coastal -- Nice campus, close to the beach, great logistically. Probably the best in the league during the fall (I personally don't care for Myrtle Beach in the busy season but by Sept/Oct its slowed down).
Harrisonburg -- Great immediate location, probably the second nicest in the league overall.
Boone -- Great immediate location, but in the middle of nowhere regionally, and the fans were d-bags.
Norfolk -- Has nice spots, but also terrible spots, net positive but only because I knew where to stay, eat, etc.
Georgia Southern -- Pretty much Huntington south. Some nice areas, some you definitely need to avoid.
Troy -- Small, run down, town in a very depressed part of the country.
Hattiesburg -- Similar to Troy only a bigger version, but they are trying to turn it around. Good football game day experience.
Georgia State -- The two blocks immediately around the stadium are fine, the next several blocks in all directions, you feel like you need a bulletproof vest.
The Norfolk area sucks. Would never want to live there. Not a fan of ATL either. Agree on all points.

Reactions: Jartard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT