ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Derek Pitts

Really? Why do “we” care? The young man is eligible to put on the Kelly green & play the sport he loves. If he is an asset on the field & successful in school, all is well.....

I want to see Marshall and Pitts do well and I wasn’t trying to paint Marshall in a negative light with Pitts’ reasoning for transfer. I’d much rather have seen him end up at MU than PSU. I think he has an opportunity to be a difference-maker for your program.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
WVU>Big 12,

Doesn't Wal-Mart carry a gift card for WVU degrees?

Honestly, this is why so many WVU fans who used to support Marshall no longer choose to do so. I wasn’t being critical of MU at all, yet you found the need to make that comment. It’s funny though, as WVU is the state flagship university, the only national university in WV, and is on the U.S. News and World Report list of top colleges in the country. Your statement is disingenuous to say the least.

Honestly, this is why so many WVU fans who used to support Marshall no longer choose to do so. I wasn’t being critical of MU at all, yet you found the need to make that comment. It’s funny though, as WVU is the state flagship university, the only national university in WV, and is on the U.S. News and World Report list of top colleges in the country. Your statement is disingenuous to say the least.

You did come here with full intent to cast doubt as to the reason he transferred and in posting inferred that it was something to do with Pitts more than WVU.

This is why many Marshall fans don’t support WVU. It’s the arrogant and condescending attitude displayed that’s a total turnoff.
And the fact that WV is the most backward, economically depressed state in the county, I wouldn’t be boasting about being the flagship.

You did come here with full intent to cast doubt as to the reason he transferred and in posting inferred that it was something to do with Pitts more than WVU.

This is why many Marshall fans don’t support WVU. It’s the arrogant and condescending attitude displayed that’s a total turnoff.
And the fact that WV is the most backward, economically depressed state in the county, I wouldn’t be boasting about being the flagship.

That is definitely not true. I didn’t want to place blame or imply that he did anything wrong to have to transfer. I was simply stating that a certain staff writer on here doesn’t know as much as he thinks he does.

That is definitely not true. I didn’t want to place blame or imply that he did anything wrong to have to transfer. I was simply stating that a certain staff writer on here doesn’t know as much as he thinks he does.

It certainly seemed that way but fair enough.

Yes - he spent the last two years playing football for a team whose games sometimes appear on TV in the market I live in.
Look, Pitts is a former 4 star DB. Go look at his offers out of high school. Im not getting into the why he transferred issue but I can tell you that kid has a chance to be real good at Marshall. yes WVU's secondary had issues last year but that is because everyone was new, a bad defensive coaching staff, and they play in a pass happy league. I would hope your not giving the kid a hard time because he played at WVU and you think all their players stink because you hate them, but if so that would be wrong. Pitts is a stud and from what I hear just his speed alone is turning heads in camp

A combination of him being new to the program and the players we already have on campus being better than people are giving them credit for.

I realize he bears the rub of Projected P5 Starter, but that Mountaineer secondary is getting lit TF up this year. Seriously, Amnesty International will be on the sideline in Morgantown by Halloween. Pitts isn't so much a transfer as a refugee.
Im guessing you think he left because he is not good enough to play at WVU? That would be wrong!

Why don't you tell us where WVU ranks on that list when compared to your conference mates or P5 schools in general?

Why don't you tell us where WVU ranks on that list when compared to your conference mates or P5 schools in general?

I never said we were in front of anyone else. I just said criticizing WVU’s academics as a Marshall fan or alumnus was disingenuous. I don’t think there should be animosity between the fanbases. We should want to see both WV universities thrive academically and athletically.

Yes - he spent the last two years playing football for a team whose games sometimes appear on TV in the market I live in.
I think the problem is your upset that Pitts played for a defense that was terrible last year in the Big 12 and now he walks in and is a starter for MU. Some how that makes MU look bad? Wrong! One, it means Big 12 offenses are damn good, and WVU coaches were not able to put a good defense on the field last year. I hope he comes in starts, and plays a long NFL career.

I think the problem is your upset that Pitts played for a defense that was terrible last year in the Big 12 and now he walks in and is a starter for MU. Some how that makes MU look bad? Wrong! One, it means Big 12 offenses are damn good, and WVU coaches were not able to put a good defense on the field last year. I hope he comes in starts, and plays a long NFL career.
I would b shocked if he is not one of the better players on defense for MU before the season is over

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Gotta love the internet. I wanna get in on this as well..

You guys are all wrong on the reason he transferred and your sources are garbage. I know the REAL reason from better sources than yours. I can’t tell the reason or my sources but just know I’m right and you all are wrong.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

You don't support Marshall anymore because for a while, MU lost games and wvu began to win.
You think you're elite because you're on the same field as Texas and OU.
You're not any more elite than Iowa State or Kansas. Sure, you'll win more at times than they will, but you're merely a disposable pawn in a game between two major programs in a conference one bad day from disassembling.
When the Big 12 inevitably breaks up, wvu isn't getting into the SEC because of academics. ACC is academics and the base of their conference despise your fans' treatment of theirs during the Big East days.
Before you spout "well...the ACC took Louisville!" and "Rutgers and Maryland went to the Big 10 and their football is horrible!"
True. But both have elements wvu doesn't.
Markets and other things to offer. I don't doubt Louisville hooked the ACC commish and other ACC bodies some box seats at the Kentucky Derby...or that Rutgers has their huge market and AAU accreditation...as does Maryland.
They also have money...something wvu didn't have much of until they joined a conference essentially bleeding money away at this point.
Forget the Big 10...the AAU wouldn't touch wvu with a 10 foot stick.

Oh and you're tied for 205th on that list.

As for the 'flagship' self-appointed title, it was said WV is such an ass backwards state that bragging about such things isn't the best thing to do.
They're right.
I'd also add, WV's state leadership and many of the idiocy that has contributed to WV sucking...was from wvu alumni.

So not only are you unable to run the state properly (WVians love their state so much they just can't seem to stay), but you brag about being the leaders of it all.
You're the prettiest looking pile of trash in the landfill.
Congrats.

You don't support Marshall anymore because for a while, MU lost games and wvu began to win.
You're not any more elite than Iowa State or Kansas. Sure, you'll win more at times than they will, but you're merely a disposable pawn in a game between two major programs in a conference one bad day from disassembling.
When the Big 12 inevitably breaks up, wvu isn't getting into the SEC because of academics. ACC is academics and the base of their conference despise your fans' treatment of theirs during the Big East days.
Before you spout "well...the ACC took Louisville!" and "Rutgers and Maryland went to the Big 10 and their football is horrible!"
Markets and other things to offer. I don't doubt Louisville hooked the ACC commish and other ACC bodies some box seats at the Kentucky Derby...or that Rutgers has their huge market and AAU accreditation...as does Maryland.
They also have money...something wvu didn't have much of until they joined a conference essentially bleeding money away at this point.

As for the 'flagship' self-appointed title, it was said WV is such an ass backwards state that bragging about such things isn't the best thing to do.
They're right.
I'd also add, WV's state leadership and many of the idiocy that has contributed to WV sucking...was from wvu alumni.

So not only are you unable to run the state properly (WVians love their state so much they just can't seem to stay), but you brag about being the leaders of it all.
Congrats.
You do realize in the last month the President of Clemson twitted that WVU is now a Tier 2 research University and they would not have an issue in the next round of conference shake-ups.

You do realize in the last month the President of Clemson twitted that WVU is now a Tier 2 research University and they would not have an issue in the next round of conference shake-ups.
LOL! You realize Clemson’s president used to be WVU’s president, right? You people are hilarious.

That said, the ACC allowed Louisville in. Unfortunately for schools like Duke, UVA and Wake - the conference can’t play the academic card anymore.

LOL! You realize Clemson’s president used to be WVU’s president, right? You people are hilarious.

That said, the ACC allowed Louisville in. Unfortunately for schools like Duke, UVA and Wake - the conference can’t play the academic card anymore.

I’ve always wondered as far as athletics go, why it even matters. Duke, UVA, and Wake aren’t diminished in the least academically by the admittance of Louisville. In fact, it could be argued that these alliances strengthen the academic schools by flooding them with more funding and exposure. There’s probably something I’m missing, but the academic snobbery by some of these university presidents is a little disingenuous. It’s about academics until there’s enough money in the equation.

I had to decide between wvu, MIT,Harvard,Duke, and Stanford. I was young and really could not make up my mind. So, I did the right thing and went to Marshall and pulled a 2.68 GPA. Have hated wvu ever since. Life is too short to be an eerdiot. COLLEGE.

You do realize that wvu is the lowest ranked academic institution in the P5, right?

Reactions: 19MU88

Yes, and I hear the football side of the ACC supports WVU but its the NC hoops schools that don't want them in.

Last edited:
Yes, the standard that his eerdiot brethren sited in this thread. It has Clemson ranked 66th and WVU at 208.
Im not sure if this is correct or not but what I can tell you WVU will never be rated high ranked high like this because its a Land Grant school which means its a school for the people and you cant really exclude on admissions. I realize Herd fans are excited by the thought of WVU not getting into and staying in a P5 conference after the possible next round of shake ups but Dr Gee knows what needs to happen to stay at this level. First, the Big 12 income is HUGE right now and WVU is spending more on facility upgrades to stay relevant then then Marshalls entire athletic budget. WVU is building a new swimming center, doing $25 million in additional upgrades to the football stadium(they just spent a huge sum of cash already under Luck) and indoor practice facility, and spending $10 million on buying a golf course and renovating it for its golf program. This does not include the 20 million on a new baseball staduim. Second, as stated WVU cant and wont start increasing its standards to get in because of its Land Grant status and lets be real, WVU needs to increase enrollment and not cut off enrollment lists like the one attached WVU will always do poorly do admission standards, but where it can improve is research. Thanks to jay Rockefeller's donation WVU is becoming a national leader in research for Brain injury and research. Several years ago WVU researchers won national acclaim for its emissions research on Volkswagon and how they were breaking a US law on how they lied with emissions on their vehicles. Also, the WVU Hospital is becoming a regional power in services provided and research. Thus giving the President of Clemson the ability to say WVU is now a Tier 2 research center which will help the next time a conference shake up takes place.

Again, Dr Gee realizes what is at stake and he has a plan for staying relevant. Keep in mind WVU is from the smallest state in the nation to field a P5 team so something right has gone on for WVU to do what it has done this long.

So, you don't think any other land grant institutions are ranked well on the list?

I didn't pay much attention to the rest of your post because it's not worth responding to.

what I can tell you WVU will never be rated high, ranked high like this because its a Land Grant school .......,..,,,,,WVU cant and wont start increasing its standards to get in because of its Land Grant status

U Conn, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio St, Penn St are all land grant schools and they are all ranked in the top 65. WVU is 208.

Reactions: alphasig1053
So, you don't think any other land grant institutions are ranked well on the list?

I didn't pay much attention to the rest of your post because it's not worth responding to.
The methodology on how they figure this is interesting. A part of it is upward mobility. So a person being educated who is from WV and will stay in WV will never be able to have the same upward mobility or liftetime salary of someone say in Atlanta Ga, and this is how they calculate the list? Interesting.

U Conn, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio St, Penn St are all land grant schools and they are all ranked in the top 65. WVU is 208.
Well the question is will WVU be in a 5 conference after the next shake up? Dr Gee is working to make that happend

So you missed the part of my post where I say WVU is spending more on facility upgrades right now then Marshall entire athletic budget. $10 million alone on a golf facility. That is big-time and its all being done to stay relevant.

Did you do any research on how the calculated these numbers and the research period was started before Dr Gee even came back?

Last edited:
Well the question is will WVU be in a 5 conference after the next shake up? Dr Gee is working to make that happend

Well, he better get busy, lol. WVU’s ranking gets lower every single time a new US News Ranking issue comes out, I can remember when my brother applied to schools in the late 90’s (he chose Va Tech) WVU was 168. You’ve fallen 40 places.

They're right.

Congrats.

Read above, responding to this question about WVU staying in the P5

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT