ADVERTISEMENT

Doc/WVU talk has started

WV_Celt

Silver Buffalo
Jul 27, 2014
Barboursville
Nothing at the ESPN level, just disgruntled fan and message board talk of WVU firing Holgs and going after Doc. Seems like they're missing his recruiting.

I knew, along with a lot of guys here, that Doc was going to end up on some Morganhole radars eventually.

Reactions: Herdie11
Wvu is tied up with holgs for a while, lots of money owed if they fire him, and the couldn't afford to buy docs contract out at the same time

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20151010/GZ02/151019920/1115

If your reading the WV gageer, sounds like the shine of that offensive genius is starting to fade a bit.

I do think Holliday would do better than Holgerson. He knows how to build a team know and also knows the role of head coach, not a guy pretending to be a genius.

Given that the AD that hired Holgerson is gone, that Holgerson is the ONLY D1 coach that doesn't wear his school colors, that they are still on probation, that they have also a new president that loves Doc and knows him well, that half the state still loves and remembers Doc, that Doc graduated from there, that Doc is like 26-4 in his last 30 games, that WVU will lose there next 2 B12 games to start 0-4 in conference play. Given all that....ugh.

You guys are perfectly safe down there as far as Doc is concerned. WVU is recruiting better players than Doc ever recruited now (look at the stars of his non qualifiers among his current Marshall recruits) and in spite of several mistakes hung with a Top 20 team past the end of the game last night. The Mountaineers will win some games this year.

If you don't understand that as your head coach that Doc would out cruit Holgy you don't understand much

It looks like you could use a Tavon Austin or Geno Smith. But I guess Holgs gets better players never mind, what do I know.

Other than the first year where Dana won with Stew's team, there is simply nothing I've seen with Dana that convinces me he will bring wvu a conference or national title, two things Luck promised when hiring him.

What wvu needs to do in order to fix this debacle is hire a coach in waiting to replace Dana & have Dana knowingly groom him to take his job in a year or two. I'm no AD but I don't see any problems with my plan.

You guys are perfectly safe down there as far as Doc is concerned. WVU is recruiting better players than Doc ever recruited now (look at the stars of his non qualifiers among his current Marshall recruits) and in spite of several mistakes hung with a Top 20 team past the end of the game last night. The Mountaineers will win some games this year.

comparing what Doc recruits at Marshall with what wVu recruits in the Big 12 proves you are a complete idiot. do you honestly think that Doc's recruiting level at a P5 school would be the same as it is in Huntington?

Reactions: 30Kelly
Typical idiot eer fan who doesn't understand that Stars really don't mean shit in regards to recruiting. Keep chasing stars that don't equate to productive talent and you'll continue to drop games on a routine basis from October-November like Holgy has demonstrated in the past. He can't develop talent, that's obvious.

Actually, yes, Doc could recruit even better guys at WVU. He already has in the past.

It's not like recruiting in the real world works like in a video game. Doc isn't at some predetermined level and can only go to the houses and high schools of kids at that level. At WVU he would have a much bigger budget and the ability to say the kid would be playing in a P5 school. Look at Ole Miss and what they pull off just being in the SEC.

The wvWho board is trying to get some crap started about Doc being the next coach at Maryland. Mohole and following are the most delusional eerdiots.

I think the problem in Morgantown right now is that the program has reached, for all practical purposes, their upward limit in a p5 conference loaded with good teams. This same team might be undefeated and ranked if it were still in the (defunct) Big East with the same players. That schedule would have yielded them double digit wins and a good bowl against a good opponent. Maybe even be an occasional factor in nc talks. But now...they are capable of winning single games against good opponents (and will likely do so this year during the season). The problem is that the upper limit of their capabilities doesn't clearly seperate them from their competition like it used to in their good years. Their fans are just dumb enough to believe that they should be rolling through their schedule like they did in the old days. Sorry...but playing legit top 25 teams week in and week out is not going to produce many double digit season victories. Take your money and big conference affiliation and adjust your expectations to 8-9 win seasons in your best years or I predict much misery and gnashing of teeth among the fan base.

Not enough Butt-Hurt Cream to cure all the ills of our Ears in The Hole, so they have to start their silliness about Doc. Looking like a great year to be a couch in MoHole. BWAHAHAHA. Can you say 0-for October???

If you don't understand that as your head coach that Doc would out cruit Holgy you don't understand much

Oh, Doc would be recruiting three and four star players in Morgantown when he could only get 2 star non qualifiers in Huntingtonhole, I understand that, but since we're playing a lot of ball in Texas we can get great players out that way too, not just in Florida. The big problem with Doc is he has never really coached against a higher, Power 5 level of competition. WVU will stick with Holgs and see what shakes out, but if they feel the need to change coaches, frankly they can do better than Doc.

I'm not saying that to be against Doc. I think Doc is a good guy. He will probably retire from his Huntinghole gig and they will use political connections to get the state to pay for erecting a statue of him beside the Joan Mens Advanced Athletic Research Facility.

The big problem with Doc is he has never really coached against a higher, Power 5 level of competition.

Because it's a completely different game huh, that makes no sense whatsoever. I think it's fair to say among G5 schools Doc has excelled. If Doc moved to a school with higher quality recruits and a bigger budget you could expect the same outcome as at Marshall. I'm glad you don't want him at USPAM. We'll gladly keep him here.

I hope and pray your right CTmtner. I think over all we have the better coach, the better person, the better recruiter, the better team builder, the better man to make young boys into men. At the very minimum he at least knows Marshall's team colors, LOL!

I hope he retires with Marshall and I HOPE you all keep bozo the clown, aka Holgy. If it stays this way we will be outselling you in season tickets within a few years.

Good luck on the rest of your season and getting off probation! Holgerson is a joke.

Oh, Doc would be recruiting three and four star players in Morgantown when he could only get 2 star non qualifiers in Huntingtonhole, I understand that, but since we're playing a lot of ball in Texas we can get great players out that way too, not just in Florida. The big problem with Doc is he has never really coached against a higher, Power 5 level of competition. WVU will stick with Holgs and see what shakes out, but if they feel the need to change coaches, frankly they can do better than Doc.

I'm not saying that to be against Doc. I think Doc is a good guy. He will probably retire from his Huntinghole gig and they will use political connections to get the state to pay for erecting a statue of him beside the Joan Mens Advanced Athletic Research Facility.
The gross ignorance reaches it's pinnacle when dumb ass hilljacks infer The Herd roster is built on props. Just another grossly uninformed dude in uspamland.

CT spews misinformation and delusion with the best...

wVu will NEVER be anything more than a 3rd or 4th "fallback" for Texas kids. you guys killed yourself joining a conference with a massive Texas footprint. legit Big 12 kids have no desire to go to Morgantown. you will continue to get the table scraps from UT, Oklahoma, A&M, and now TCU forever. it doesn't matter if you higher an all Texas coaching staff. had you eradicated the rabies infection a large portion of your fanbase has you would have been sitting pretty in the ACC where you belong... and you would have actually had a chance recruiting east coast kids...

this is a far worse situation for you chumps than the REAL Big East days.

wVu will NEVER be anything more than a 3rd or 4th "fallback" for Texas kids. you guys killed yourself joining a conference with a massive Texas footprint. legit Big 12 kids have no desire to go to Morgantown. you will continue to get the table scraps from UT, Oklahoma, A&M, and now TCU forever. it doesn't matter if you higher an all Texas coaching staff. had you eradicated the rabies infection a large portion of your fanbase has you would have been sitting pretty in the ACC where you belong... and you would have actually had a chance recruiting east coast kids...

+1

...But in the meantime you fair weather wusses can go over to Huntinghole and get your $10 tickets to watch the Plungering Terd play the Wheeling School for the Blind...

This sound familiar? Pulled this from a thread on your board (where you belong) in which no one had even mentioned Marshall, nor was it part of the discussion in any way, shape, or form, but you obsessed little bitches can't stop thinking about us.

The only reason Ears are trying to say Doc is going anywhere, is because guys like CTmountainear are praying for a day we return to how we were under Mark Snyder.

Ha ha....21-22 the past 3plus years now!! How are all your stars helping you now? Keep them coming this is great fun! On the other hand, Doc is 33-13.

The total fixation of Spamland on Marshall has no bounds.

The normal expression of it is, as the cold douche of yet another season that starts with "usens is gonna win that that there national champieeeen ship" ends with yet another "well, that hurt", the only thing the Spamies have is "But Marshall...." All they have is that. Despite all their disclaimers, all they can do is "But Marshall...." as some butt hurt salve for what they are and always have been. Just another program. Not special. Not much. Never won anything. Never will. An indistinguishable field-filler. Not quite NC State, maybe a little more than Rutgers. Nothing.

And as long as Doc is here, and as long as Doc is winning (and those two things are the same, because Doc is a winner), the secondary expression of their total fixation, is "what if we got Doc?". Memo: Doc is not leaving the university for WVU. At his age, he probably is here until he retires. If not, he will have a truly spectacular year, or two, and move up to some place so far above WVU it makes it look like a speck on a dog's ass.

As predicted, we are seeing a passion play, the results of which were known (and PREDICTED) from day one.

For decades, the Spamatic theme has been simple. Play as weak a schedule as possible and tell it insular, never been anywhere, never done anything, non-alumni fan base that what they saw was significant. WVU should have (but never actually did) won every game every year in the woeful Leastleftovers. It had 10 times the resources of any other team. And its delusional non-alumni fan base ACTUALLY BELIEVED that this was somehow similar to what went on in the True Majors.

Then came realignment. Every program that could told Texas and Oklahoma where to shove it. Leaving 7 teams that had no place else to go. Looking for an 8th, how many teams turned them down before they got to small time, geographically crazy WVU? 10? 15?

But Ollie (everything I touch turns to s**t) Luck fell for it. And WVU became a field filler in what was supposed to be a Big 2, Little 8 conference. Texas and Oklahoma settle it among themselves 9 years out of 10. And Texas hired a retard. And Oklahoma kept Stoops well past his expiration date and some of the Little 8 (make that Little 7, WVU has never done a damn thing) are rising up and playing good.

But, in the long run, it will fizzle out. Texas will get right and Oklahoma will get right, and a "good" year at WVU is 5th or 6th and some autoparts store bowl. All that it can EVER be. Never more.

But Marshall....

Fact is, in 10 years, MU will be doing about what we are now, or more.

Pitt will be in the ACC. Maryland will be in the Big 10. Syracuse will be in the ACC. As will Louisville and VPI and BC.

And WVU will be on a plane, again. To be assreamed, again, by Texas, again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

But Marshall ....

And, as the glow of the faux victories over mighty Rutgers and awesome Temple fades into memory, the seat will get less and less full.

Because, in all the world, WVU cannot out recruit the geographically logical teams in its own conference, and cannot get the Florida and Big 10 culls it lived on previous days, against the other regional teams, all of which actually play in their own time zone.

It will never get better. It gets worse. Enjoy.

I hope and pray your right CTmtner. I think over all we have the better coach, the better person, the better recruiter, the better team builder, the better man to make young boys into men. At the very minimum he at least knows Marshall's team colors, LOL!

I hope he retires with Marshall and I HOPE you all keep bozo the clown, aka Holgy. If it stays this way we will be outselling you in season tickets within a few years.

Good luck on the rest of your season and getting off probation! Holgerson is a joke.

Guys, you all do realize that CT is perhaps the ultimate epitome of the delusional QuEER fans. He finds his way to Herd boards to gloat when they beat the Libertys of the world and then comes over here to rag on MU, Huntington, etc., when the Big 12 reality hits home and the NEERS have been bitch slapped again. For CT's sake, we all should hope he has plenty of industrial strength Vasoline on hand because, at 0-2, his team's butt reamings in the Big 12 this fall are just beginning!!

The talk of a new coach will only intensify after next weekend when Baylor beats the freaking brakes off them in Morgantown... That jump to the Big12 sounded great until a few things became apparent.

1. States like Texas and Oklahoma have exponentially more athletes/better quality athletes to recruit from with less competition.
2. The travel is a nightmare.
3. WVu went from one of the premiere brands in the Big East to about the 10th most significant member of their new league.
4. Drunk Phil Collins is an average head coach at best.
5. The new system is going to be much harder to qualify for (4-team playoff) than the old BCS system (10 team cluster #%@$).

Because it's a completely different game huh, that makes no sense whatsoever. I think it's fair to say among G5 schools Doc has excelled. If Doc moved to a school with higher quality recruits and a bigger budget you could expect the same outcome as at Marshall. I'm glad you don't want him at USPAM. We'll gladly keep him here.

I have absolutely no say in who is coach at West Virginia. I am only giving my opinion, and I believe if the situation were to arise, they would hire somebody with not only lots of Power 5 experience, but experience recruiting in Texas because there is enough talent there to staff several great football programs.

Well, I don't know about that. It seems we are generally doing pretty well recruiting wise. We have almost no Power 5 level high school talent in our state so that is somewhat of a disadvantage no matter who we are playing against. At the same time, we have generally done pretty well in that situation. Three BCS level bowl wins, for example, is almost as much as the entire ACC combined.

Do I believe we are in a position to recruit on the same level as Alabama, Ohio State, or Texas... No. But even though we can't take the non qualifiers that abound on Marshall's roster, we get lots of 3 star an some 4 star talents, enough to be competitive at our Power 5 level.

The talk of a new coach will only intensify after next weekend when Baylor beats the freaking brakes off them in Morgantown... That jump to the Big12 sounded great until a few things became apparent.

1. States like Texas and Oklahoma have exponentially more athletes/better quality athletes to recruit from with less competition.
2. The travel is a nightmare.
3. WVu went from one of the premiere brands in the Big East to about the 10th most significant member of their new league.
4. Drunk Phil Collins is an average head coach at best.
5. The new system is going to be much harder to qualify for (4-team playoff) than the old BCS system (10 team cluster #%@$).

Our fans love competing in a top flight league. The XII is an outstanding conference, and travel is not nearly as bad as you suppose. Airline flights are all within a few hours of each other regardless of destination, and we have a very large alumni base in the Southwest as well as in the Northeast.

The gross ignorance reaches it's pinnacle when dumb ass hilljacks infer The Herd roster is built on props. Just another grossly uninformed dude in uspamland.

realsamC I'm announcing my man crush on you. Hilarious logical sequential spamite beat down!

Oh, so you're claiming Marshall doesn't have non qualifiers on their football roster? No kidding? That is shocking news for a program that is subsidized to the tune of $15.1 million this year alone.

The total fixation of Spamland on Marshall has no bounds.

The normal expression of it is, as the cold douche of yet another season that starts with "usens is gonna win that that there national champieeeen ship" ends with yet another "well, that hurt", the only thing the Spamies have is "But Marshall...." All they have is that. Despite all their disclaimers, all they can do is "But Marshall...." as some butt hurt salve for what they are and always have been. Just another program. Not special. Not much. Never won anything. Never will. An indistinguishable field-filler. Not quite NC State, maybe a little more than Rutgers. Nothing.

And as long as Doc is here, and as long as Doc is winning (and those two things are the same, because Doc is a winner), the secondary expression of their total fixation, is "what if we got Doc?". Memo: Doc is not leaving the university for WVU. At his age, he probably is here until he retires. If not, he will have a truly spectacular year, or two, and move up to some place so far above WVU it makes it look like a speck on a dog's ass.

As predicted, we are seeing a passion play, the results of which were known (and PREDICTED) from day one.

For decades, the Spamatic theme has been simple. Play as weak a schedule as possible and tell it insular, never been anywhere, never done anything, non-alumni fan base that what they saw was significant. WVU should have (but never actually did) won every game every year in the woeful Leastleftovers. It had 10 times the resources of any other team. And its delusional non-alumni fan base ACTUALLY BELIEVED that this was somehow similar to what went on in the True Majors.

Then came realignment. Every program that could told Texas and Oklahoma where to shove it. Leaving 7 teams that had no place else to go. Looking for an 8th, how many teams turned them down before they got to small time, geographically crazy WVU? 10? 15?

But Ollie (everything I touch turns to s**t) Luck fell for it. And WVU became a field filler in what was supposed to be a Big 2, Little 8 conference. Texas and Oklahoma settle it among themselves 9 years out of 10. And Texas hired a retard. And Oklahoma kept Stoops well past his expiration date and some of the Little 8 (make that Little 7, WVU has never done a damn thing) are rising up and playing good.

But, in the long run, it will fizzle out. Texas will get right and Oklahoma will get right, and a "good" year at WVU is 5th or 6th and some autoparts store bowl. All that it can EVER be. Never more.

But Marshall....

Fact is, in 10 years, MU will be doing about what we are now, or more.

Pitt will be in the ACC. Maryland will be in the Big 10. Syracuse will be in the ACC. As will Louisville and VPI and BC.

And WVU will be on a plane, again. To be assreamed, again, by Texas, again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

But Marshall ....

And, as the glow of the faux victories over mighty Rutgers and awesome Temple fades into memory, the seat will get less and less full.

Because, in all the world, WVU cannot out recruit the geographically logical teams in its own conference, and cannot get the Florida and Big 10 culls it lived on previous days, against the other regional teams, all of which actually play in their own time zone.

It will never get better. It gets worse. Enjoy.

Guys, you all do realize that CT is perhaps the ultimate epitome of the delusional QuEER fans. He finds his way to Herd boards to gloat when they beat the Libertys of the world and then comes over here to rag on MU, Huntington, etc., when the Big 12 reality hits home and the NEERS have been bitch slapped again. For CT's sake, we all should hope he has plenty of industrial strength Vasoline on hand because, at 0-2, his team's butt reamings in the Big 12 this fall are just beginning!!

Amazing rant from a fan of a team that has never won anything but a who care's bowl game in a sub par league with virtually no fan base, an annual deficit of $15.1 million with no end in sight to that insanity, and playing in a league that is even further stretched out than the XII and ACC but with income potential of maybe 10% the amount of money.

I don't like ragging on Marshall or Huntinghole. It is far too easy and like shooting ducks in a barrel so it seems unsportsmanlike. But regardless of how many times we win our league our program will be on the plus side economically rather than a drain on our school and state, like the one you support.

Amazing rant from a fan of a team that has never won anything but a who care's bowl game in a sub par league with virtually no fan base, an annual deficit of $15.1 million with no end in sight to that insanity, and playing in a league that is even further stretched out than the XII and ACC but with income potential of maybe 10% the amount of money.

I don't like ragging on Marshall or Huntinghole. It is far too easy and like shooting ducks in a barrel so it seems unsportsmanlike. But regardless of how many times we win our league our program will be on the plus side economically rather than a drain on our school and state, like the one you support.

Amazing, the amount of pure IGNORANCE you exhibit, CT, since you are always spouting off about all the degrees you have from various and sundry sources. You are oblivious to the fact that this state has for decades put an inordinate amount of financial resources into the so called "Flagcrap" institution in Morganhole, to the detriment of the overall status of higher education in this state. That is why, in great part, other institutions are literally crumbling from neglect, lack of monies for capital repairs, improvements, dorms and classroom facilities necessary for 21st century purposes. The real "drain" is the drain on the higher ed system resulting from throwing excess funds at WVU and creating an artificial pocket of prosperity in North Central WV, to the detriment of the rest of the state. You can sit on you butt up in CT or wherein blazes you are kissing the posterior of the egomaniac liar, E. Gordon Gee. But facts are facts: just look at the abysmal mess at WVU Tech, made immensely worse since the a-holes from Mo-town took over in 1995. Told a lot of lies about campus improvements, upgrades, etc., but nothing ever done in Montgomery. Now Gee moving school to Beckley. Yet, after all these years of empire building in Morganhole, the state is at the bottom of the barrel in so many categories. Real leadership and progress for the state from the FLAGS*#T, CT. Instead of coming on here with all your anti everything but WVU crap, save your money and buy your football coach some gear in WVU's colors, instead of the dirty black crap he wears which looks like he just crawled out of the barnyard slime in Pig Wallow, Iowa, which is where he came from!

Reactions: ohio herd
CT is mad so he comes with more factless claims

1. Doc would do a much better job on and off the field then Holgs could dream off at WVU

2. News flash, Texas recruits aren't coming all the way to West Virginia to play ball and Florida recruits aren't going to a school that doesn't play ball in Florida.

3. Your staff recruits by stars not work ethic and love for football, that is why they faulter once October comes

4. Dana and staff can't develop players

Reactions: ohio herd
The talk of a new coach will only intensify after next weekend when Baylor beats the freaking brakes off them in Morgantown...

100% correct (except Baylor's assreaming of the Spamies will be in Texas, not southern Penna).

Understand what the old Leastleftovers was, and what the Spamites believed it was.

What it really was, was a mid-major conference. Nothing. And WVU was the only (semi) legitimate program in it. It had 10 times the resources of the cupcake fieldfillers. It should have won every game in that woeful league, every year. It never did, but it should have.

But the Spamites, insular, uneducated, backward, were told, and, get this, ACTUALLY BELIEVED, that it was a "major conference". That beating Rutgers or Temple was ACTUALLY important. (Note here that of the old Leastleftovers selected over WVU for ACC or Big 10 membership, all are weekly practice games for the original teams in those league, because of how far below the major level those teams were). These people were so far out of reality they ACTUALLY BELIEVED this spew.

Now comes the "new system". The old system was dumb. Pretty much the five true major conferences, plus one mid-major got an (always undeserved) auto bid. Now four teams get picked (the 5th of the 5 was passed over last year, as it should be most years) and it falls down from there. The chances WVU actually wins the Big 2, Little 8? 0. The chances WVU finishes in the top 4 of that league? 20%, and that is top 4 once every 10 or so years.

This is what WVU is right now. A geographically illogical field filler in what was designed to be (and will eventually be) settled between Texas and Oklahoma most every year. Year on year of 6-6, 7-5, 5-7, 6-6 8-4, on and on. And the hilljacked non-alumni losers fall away. 50K. 50K with seats 4 for $20. 40K. Claiming 40K, but looks a lot more like 30. 30K. Seas of empties.

This was the basis of the prediction that all of us made, back when. We understood football on a national basis. And the one thing you cannot be if you understand football on a national basis is someone who buys into to the Spamspew.

2. News flash, Texas recruits aren't coming all the way to West Virginia to play ball and Florida recruits aren't going to a school that doesn't play ball in Florida.

Yes. Exactly.

Understand what the WVU system has been, for over 30 years. Get down to Florida and get the SEC/ACC culls. And supplement that with the Big 10's culls from NY, Penna, and Ohio. And that is not unique to WVU, and it is not a bad plan. At the mid-major level. It could do very well in a mid-major conference like the Leastleftovers. (And, as noted, their fanbase was so ignorant that when told that Johnny Twostar could have played for Florida or Ohio State or whatever, they ACTUALLY BELIEVED it.)

That doesn't work in the Big 12. In Florida, you have some kid, crying. His hopes crushed. The coaches of the SEC and upper ACC have told him "son, you are just not good enough". So here is WVU. Offering a 1200 mile trip to a rednecked hilltown. To play? To play after 2000 mile trips in some barren, dry, foreign place so different from Miami it is night and day. And the kid looks around. And maybe he goes to Louisville. Or Maryland. Or FIU. Or Marshall.

Same in nearby Rust Belt. Same offer. And the kid goes to Toledo. Or Purdue. Or Pitt.

And then there is Texas. A kid culled out by Texas and (the new kings of Texas recruiting, Texas A&M, who, alone can offer the greatest honor in college sports, the letters S E C on your jersey). WVU offers? 2000 miles from home, around rednecked hilljacked fans (and less of those every year) and drunken loser New Jersey C-students with nothing better to do that get drunk every day, all day. (And, one of the whitest campuses in America). The kid wipes away his tears, takes down the Texas or TAMU pennant in his bed room. And signs with Okie State. Or TCU. Or UTSA. Or Houston.

And WVU has? Culls of culls. It is nobody's first (or 8th) choice. It has people nobody else wants.

And the results show. And will show for years to come.

And we get to sit back and watch the Spamies melt down. Fire coaches. Burn stuff. Bitch. Moan. For years to come. Because it cannot, ever, ever, ever, get any better. WVU made a huge mistake and it will take 20 years for the next realignment to come and its application to get in THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! approved.

That is why the ACC turned it down. And why 20 other schools turned down the Big 2, Little 8 before they got down to WVU on their list.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Amazing, the amount of pure IGNORANCE you exhibit, CT, since you are always spouting off about all the degrees you have from various and sundry sources. You are oblivious to the fact that this state has for decades put an inordinate amount of financial resources into the so called "Flagcrap" institution in Morganhole, to the detriment of the overall status of higher education in this state. That is why, in great part, other institutions are literally crumbling from neglect, lack of monies for capital repairs, improvements, dorms and classroom facilities necessary for 21st century purposes. The real "drain" is the drain on the higher ed system resulting from throwing excess funds at WVU and creating an artificial pocket of prosperity in North Central WV, to the detriment of the rest of the state. You can sit on you butt up in CT or wherein blazes you are kissing the posterior of the egomaniac liar, E. Gordon Gee. But facts are facts: just look at the abysmal mess at WVU Tech, made immensely worse since the a-holes from Mo-town took over in 1995. Told a lot of lies about campus improvements, upgrades, etc., but nothing ever done in Montgomery. Now Gee moving school to Beckley. Yet, after all these years of empire building in Morganhole, the state is at the bottom of the barrel in so many categories. Real leadership and progress for the state from the FLAGS*#T, CT. Instead of coming on here with all your anti everything but WVU crap, save your money and buy your football coach some gear in WVU's colors, instead of the dirty black crap he wears which looks like he just crawled out of the barnyard slime in Pig Wallow, Iowa, which is where he came from!

Oldie... WV Tech was on life support when their board asked WVU to step in back in the early 1990s. The University invested millions trying to prop up a school in an area that was quickly losing population, and kept it afloat for more than 2 decades by pouring millions per year into operating it. Tech is located 50 miles to the East of Charleston, which provided a home for those wanting a technical education but being too tied to their Mommy's apron strings to venture far from home. It was proving hard to maintain in any event, then the Legislature steps in and pours tens of millions of welfare money into building a building supposedly to house an engineering program 50 miles the other side of Charleston, at Marshall.

Now this basically undeveloped program lacks academic integrity, but the average Kanawha high school student will never be confused with being sophisticated to the point of discerning that, and some are swayed by the fact that the facility looks like it has lots of bells and whistles. And, while there really isn't a lot to do for a college student in Huntington, it does beat the heck out of Montgomery for entertainment options, thus some students will be swayed to attend the pig dressed as a princess, as much as anything because they simply don't know any better. Marshall tried to operate an engineering program in the past, when there were many more people living in that region than there are now, and it tanked miserably. It takes more than a shiny new facility to make it viable, and the plan to stock the place with foreign students who aren't able to get admission to established programs is an affront to our state's taxpayers, but Bob Plymale is only concerned with butts in the seats at the behest of the flagging Huntington business community, and until last year he had enormous influence on appropriations for education.

Every school's dorms were in bad condition, including those in Morgantown. The difference is, Morgantown is seen by investors as having great potential thus private money has poured into the city to give WVU students first class options for residency. Almost none of the new dorm construction there is being done with public money. It's a little tougher to convince somebody to invest millions in Concord or Institute, and that isn't likely to change any time soon. Huntington can fare better in that regard, but it does not have the potential you find in Morgantown these days.

Now WVU has been asked by Raleigh County folks to prop up the higher education system there. With diminished state appropriations, they can't do that and maintain an expensive operation in Mortgomery at the same time. What they have decided to do is combine the two and build a winner in Beckley, where there is a greater population base than there is in Montgomery. They are doing by tying in with other institutions, including Marshall, to try to improve opportunities in the southern part of the state. But, don't expect the status quo to remain in place for Huntington long term in terms of funding. It is not lost on legislators that with a massive increase in appropriations and permission to implement new programs, Marshall is actually serving fewer students now than it did in 2007. WVU's alumni and donors have stepped in to make up for the diminished appropriations, but this state deserves the very best in terms of educational offerings, not some watered down version based on expediency. The research intensive, PhD level, well established Top 50 engineering programs in Morgantown are more than head and shoulders above anything that could be developed in Huntington regardless of the state money being thrown at it. Expect a push to establish the 2007 status quo in terms of funding in the future.

The University's programs offer many more advanced opportunities, and close enough to Pittsburgh for the cooperative research endeavors that take place with their great technical institutions, and have the major Federal research infrastructure and establishments, as well as private research organizations, nearby to insure success. Huntington is stuck in the middle of nowhere, and although the town's population has stabilized, except for Putnam County the region around it is bleeding population and potential students rapidly, and the aging and undereducated population found in Cabell County lends little support to the prognosis.

In the final analysis, something is going to have to be done to streamline and make more efficient our state's higher education system. Our entire state combined does not have the population of a single large city, and we simply can not afford to continue to support a dozen 4 year schools. Iowa has half again as many people, and they have 3 publically supported schools. Eventually, half of those schools are going to have to be folded into others for the system as a whole to be competitive.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT