ADVERTISEMENT

Doc/WVU talk has started

WVU can take whoever it wants from MU if it wanted too. MU is not and has never been one with power in this State. It would be a shame if more funding was cut

You guys are perfectly safe down there as far as Doc is concerned. WVU is recruiting better players than Doc ever recruited now (look at the stars of his non qualifiers among his current Marshall recruits) and in spite of several mistakes hung with a Top 20 team past the end of the game last night. The Mountaineers will win some games this year.

WVU is in over its head in the B12. Those better players aren't helping. Why would Doc want to leave a secure job where he is appreciated and go to Morgantown to lose?

Oldie... WV Tech was on life support when their board asked WVU to step in back in the early 1990s. The University invested millions trying to prop up a school in an area that was quickly losing population, and kept it afloat for more than 2 decades by pouring millions per year into operating it. Tech is located 50 miles to the East of Charleston, which provided a home for those wanting a technical education but being too tied to their Mommy's apron strings to venture far from home. It was proving hard to maintain in any event, then the Legislature steps in and pours tens of millions of welfare money into building a building supposedly to house an engineering program 50 miles the other side of Charleston, at Marshall.

Now this basically undeveloped program lacks academic integrity, but the average Kanawha high school student will never be confused with being sophisticated to the point of discerning that, and some are swayed by the fact that the facility looks like it has lots of bells and whistles. And, while there really isn't a lot to do for a college student in Huntington, it does beat the heck out of Montgomery for entertainment options, thus some students will be swayed to attend the pig dressed as a princess, as much as anything because they simply don't know any better. Marshall tried to operate an engineering program in the past, when there were many more people living in that region than there are now, and it tanked miserably. It takes more than a shiny new facility to make it viable, and the plan to stock the place with foreign students who aren't able to get admission to established programs is an affront to our state's taxpayers, but Bob Plymale is only concerned with butts in the seats at the behest of the flagging Huntington business community, and until last year he had enormous influence on appropriations for education.

Every school's dorms were in bad condition, including those in Morgantown. The difference is, Morgantown is seen by investors as having great potential thus private money has poured into the city to give WVU students first class options for residency. Almost none of the new dorm construction there is being done with public money. It's a little tougher to convince somebody to invest millions in Concord or Institute, and that isn't likely to change any time soon. Huntington can fare better in that regard, but it does not have the potential you find in Morgantown these days.

Now WVU has been asked by Raleigh County folks to prop up the higher education system there. With diminished state appropriations, they can't do that and maintain an expensive operation in Mortgomery at the same time. What they have decided to do is combine the two and build a winner in Beckley, where there is a greater population base than there is in Montgomery. They are doing by tying in with other institutions, including Marshall, to try to improve opportunities in the southern part of the state. But, don't expect the status quo to remain in place for Huntington long term in terms of funding. It is not lost on legislators that with a massive increase in appropriations and permission to implement new programs, Marshall is actually serving fewer students now than it did in 2007. WVU's alumni and donors have stepped in to make up for the diminished appropriations, but this state deserves the very best in terms of educational offerings, not some watered down version based on expediency. The research intensive, PhD level, well established Top 50 engineering programs in Morgantown are more than head and shoulders above anything that could be developed in Huntington regardless of the state money being thrown at it. Expect a push to establish the 2007 status quo in terms of funding in the future.

The University's programs offer many more advanced opportunities, and close enough to Pittsburgh for the cooperative research endeavors that take place with their great technical institutions, and have the major Federal research infrastructure and establishments, as well as private research organizations, nearby to insure success. Huntington is stuck in the middle of nowhere, and although the town's population has stabilized, except for Putnam County the region around it is bleeding population and potential students rapidly, and the aging and undereducated population found in Cabell County lends little support to the prognosis.

In the final analysis, something is going to have to be done to streamline and make more efficient our state's higher education system. Our entire state combined does not have the population of a single large city, and we simply can not afford to continue to support a dozen 4 year schools. Iowa has half again as many people, and they have 3 publically supported schools. Eventually, half of those schools are going to have to be folded into others for the system as a whole to be competitive.

Correct about supporting all the colleges. It should be WVU, Marshall; the other schools need shuttered. We have too many small private schools as well - but as long as they don't suck up state funds, let them be.
This is what happens when a state puts all its eggs in the Coal and Lottery basket.

there are $3M reasons why Doc wont be at WVU ever. What I'm worried about is UCF after this year. Doc in Fla would get some really good players and they can triple his current salary. Oleary is making $2M a year, that scares me the most...

then the Legislature steps in and pours tens of millions of welfare money into building a building supposedly to house an engineering program 50 miles the other side of Charleston, at Marshall.

I don't believe much money came out of your pocket for the engineering building at Marshall, CT. There is a reason it is called the Arthur Weisberg Family Applied Engineering Complex. The Weisberg family picked up most of the tab.

Oldie... WV Tech was on life support when their board asked WVU to step in back in the early 1990s. The University invested millions trying to prop up a school in an area that was quickly losing population, and kept it afloat for more than 2 decades by pouring millions per year into operating it. Tech is located 50 miles to the East of Charleston, which provided a home for those wanting a technical education but being too tied to their Mommy's apron strings to venture far from home. It was proving hard to maintain in any event, then the Legislature steps in and pours tens of millions of welfare money into building a building supposedly to house an engineering program 50 miles the other side of Charleston, at Marshall.

Now this basically undeveloped program lacks academic integrity, but the average Kanawha high school student will never be confused with being sophisticated to the point of discerning that, and some are swayed by the fact that the facility looks like it has lots of bells and whistles. And, while there really isn't a lot to do for a college student in Huntington, it does beat the heck out of Montgomery for entertainment options, thus some students will be swayed to attend the pig dressed as a princess, as much as anything because they simply don't know any better. Marshall tried to operate an engineering program in the past, when there were many more people living in that region than there are now, and it tanked miserably. It takes more than a shiny new facility to make it viable, and the plan to stock the place with foreign students who aren't able to get admission to established programs is an affront to our state's taxpayers, but Bob Plymale is only concerned with butts in the seats at the behest of the flagging Huntington business community, and until last year he had enormous influence on appropriations for education.

Every school's dorms were in bad condition, including those in Morgantown. The difference is, Morgantown is seen by investors as having great potential thus private money has poured into the city to give WVU students first class options for residency. Almost none of the new dorm construction there is being done with public money. It's a little tougher to convince somebody to invest millions in Concord or Institute, and that isn't likely to change any time soon. Huntington can fare better in that regard, but it does not have the potential you find in Morgantown these days.

Now WVU has been asked by Raleigh County folks to prop up the higher education system there. With diminished state appropriations, they can't do that and maintain an expensive operation in Mortgomery at the same time. What they have decided to do is combine the two and build a winner in Beckley, where there is a greater population base than there is in Montgomery. They are doing by tying in with other institutions, including Marshall, to try to improve opportunities in the southern part of the state. But, don't expect the status quo to remain in place for Huntington long term in terms of funding. It is not lost on legislators that with a massive increase in appropriations and permission to implement new programs, Marshall is actually serving fewer students now than it did in 2007. WVU's alumni and donors have stepped in to make up for the diminished appropriations, but this state deserves the very best in terms of educational offerings, not some watered down version based on expediency. The research intensive, PhD level, well established Top 50 engineering programs in Morgantown are more than head and shoulders above anything that could be developed in Huntington regardless of the state money being thrown at it. Expect a push to establish the 2007 status quo in terms of funding in the future.

The University's programs offer many more advanced opportunities, and close enough to Pittsburgh for the cooperative research endeavors that take place with their great technical institutions, and have the major Federal research infrastructure and establishments, as well as private research organizations, nearby to insure success. Huntington is stuck in the middle of nowhere, and although the town's population has stabilized, except for Putnam County the region around it is bleeding population and potential students rapidly, and the aging and undereducated population found in Cabell County lends little support to the prognosis.

In the final analysis, something is going to have to be done to streamline and make more efficient our state's higher education system. Our entire state combined does not have the population of a single large city, and we simply can not afford to continue to support a dozen 4 year schools. Iowa has half again as many people, and they have 3 publically supported schools. Eventually, half of those schools are going to have to be folded into others for the system as a whole to be competitive.

Have to been to our new Engineering Complex? I have been to MU's, USPAM's, and Tech's. Marshall has both beat by a long shot. It is not just bells and whistles... MU's Safety Technology dept. is one of less than 10 in the nation with the highest accreditation.

You guys are perfectly safe down there as far as Doc is concerned. WVU is recruiting better players than Doc ever recruited now (look at the stars of his non qualifiers among his current Marshall recruits) and in spite of several mistakes hung with a Top 20 team past the end of the game last night. The Mountaineers will win some games this year.
I'm sorry sir, I just had to respond. If possible could you please name the players or recruits of Coach Doc and Coach Dana. Because with all due respect you have absolutely no idea of what your talking about. Go Herd!

moron CT... the discussion by most in this thread is about how wVu has, is, and will fare in the Big 12. like most 'Eerdiots you are quick to dust off those BCS trophies that Miami and Virginia Tech allowed you the opportunity to obtain.

2005 - played 2 (yes two) ranked teams in the regular season (#3 VPI obviously a loss, and #19 Louisville)
2007 - played 4 ranked teams (#18 USF, #25 Rutgers, #21 Cincy, #20 UConn... try to read that without laughing)
2011 - played 2 ranked teams (#2 LSU, #23 Cincy)

now, take a mediocre/bad unranked Texas team circa 2012,13,14, or 15. they would lose at MOST 3 games in any of those years.

in short, '05, '07, and '11 wVu squads would never have sniffed a BCS game had they played in the Big 12...

Oh, so you're claiming Marshall doesn't have non qualifiers on their football roster? No kidding? That is shocking news for a program that is subsidized to the tune of $15.1 million this year alone.
I am claiming you are a dumb ass for inferring the roster is dependent on props, dumb ass. As usual a hilljack cant freaking read nor comprehend. You probably think props are kids who wrecked their grades too, don't you?

I think the use of the word "Huntingtonhole" might be the worst attempt at smack I have ever seen on these boards.

Obviously responding to CT's misstatements, outrageous lies and other fabrications will not stem further inbred ignorant comments from him. It is analogous to the problem hemorrhoid that will NOT GO AWAY no matter how much Preparation H you put on it!!

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
i miss the smack board...

at least a few of those guys could type without drooling all over the keyboard......

Correct about supporting all the colleges. It should be WVU, Marshall; the other schools need shuttered. We have too many small private schools as well - but as long as they don't suck up state funds, let them be.
This is what happens when a state puts all its eggs in the Coal and Lottery basket.
The panhandles need their own schools due to their positions. Fairmont State is well supported on its own. Concord holds its own too. The rest should be turned into 2 year branch campuses. Give WV State to Marshall and the rest to WVU, which is already positioned to operate them. Return the community colleges back where they belong instead of creating another expensive bureaucracy that the state can no afford and making things less efficient.

Obviously responding to CT's misstatements, outrageous lies and other fabrications will not stem further inbred ignorant comments from him. It is analogous to the problem hemorrhoid that will NOT GO AWAY no matter how much Preparation H you put on it!!
The facts are clearly evident for anybody wishing to see them. Start with the WV Higher Education Policy Council website and check enrollment statistics... you won't need to go back more than 8 years. State government budget allocations are also available on the state website.

As to the rest of it, just use common sense. Any legitimate research institution would turn up its nose at the notion that an indoor practice facility that has the team's physician's offices located in it is somehow a legitimate "athletic research facility", unless you consider a couple work study students taking blood pressure and temperatures legitimate research. Marshall's history in the engineering field is well documented, and that was when the state had a lot more money and Cabell/Wayne had a lot more people.

Are there any other schools we should worry about reaching out to Doc? Maryland honestly has me a little worried. Big 10(14) school, big budget with a MAJOR booster, recruiting history in a region Doc is very well known and familiar.

Are there any other schools we should worry about reaching out to Doc? Maryland honestly has me a little worried. Big 10(14) school, big budget with a MAJOR booster, recruiting history in a region Doc is very well known and familiar.

I would be very surprised, but anything can happen. If Doc were to beat some legitimate Power 5 team along the way, I'd say Marshall couldn't hang onto him, but there isn't a team on your slate this year that would make him stand out in that regard.

Your conundrum is you can't have it both ways. As long as you keep playing only the Sisters of the Poor, no matter how many games he wins there will be scant notice. If you find a way to upgrade the schedule, and he is successful in that scenario, then somebody from a Power 5 school would likely give him a shot at it.

Can't believe Doc goes to Maryland, they are looking for big time coach or AHC to take Maryland to the next level. Local papers have even thrown out Chip Kelly making a michigan move possibly, which is also a pipedream unless under armor somehow signs chip to a side deal . Cant see Doc making a move unless it's WVU. however don't see anything changing. Including more L s for the best mullet east of the Mississippi ! Go herd

I'm sorry sir, I just had to respond. If possible could you please name the players or recruits of Coach Doc and Coach Dana. Because with all due respect you have absolutely no idea of what your talking about. Go Herd!
Hey tread thats why they are 21-22 in the past 3 1/2 seasons, they are recruiting awesome players up there!!!! ha ha

Can't believe Doc goes to Maryland, they are looking for big time coach or AHC to take Maryland to the next level. Local papers have even thrown out Chip Kelly making a michigan move possibly, which is also a pipedream unless under armor somehow signs chip to a side deal . Cant see Doc making a move unless it's WVU. however don't see anything changing. Including more L s for the best mullet east of the Mississippi ! Go herd
Maryland worries me far more than WVU, because I think they want to go outside the usual method and type of hire they make. Doc would recruit that area incredibly well, and wouldn't cost them a kings ransom to get

Maryland needs a coach that will get into the DMV area, the Virginia Prep schools, Ohio, Pennsylvania, NJ/NYC area and spot recruit Georgia and Florida for speed

The only place I could see Doc leave here for is Miami of Fl. I see this as an opportunity too good to pass up for him. I mean he could go other places and get a bigger paycheck for 3-4 years and then end up getting fired. Does anyone on here really think Maryland will ever be a player in the Big 10? I don't see it happening. Maryland is the same as wvu being invited into the Big 12, a nice homecoming game. UCF is not a move up outside of money. If he wants it he can be another Donnie Jones. I say he sees the big picture and sticks around here where he will become a legend.

Maryland needs a coach that will get into the DMV area, the Virginia Prep schools, Ohio, Pennsylvania, NJ/NYC area and spot recruit Georgia and Florida for speed
The only place I could see Doc leave here for is Miami of Fl. I see this as an opportunity too good to pass up for him. I mean he could go other places and get a bigger paycheck for 3-4 years and then end up getting fired. Does anyone on here really think Maryland will ever be a player in the Big 10? I don't see it happening. Maryland is the same as wvu being invited into the Big 12, a nice homecoming game. UCF is not a move up outside of money. If he wants it he can be another Donnie Jones. I say he sees the big picture and sticks around here where he will become a legend.

If they get a coach that can keep the top 15 recruits in the DMV and Spot recruit the east coast and down south, they can be successful. But Maryland ALSO needs to improve their facilities.

Ideally for Maryland

Lockdown the Top 15 players in the DMV, Get about 5-7 recruits from Florida, Georgia, Carolinas, 2-3 from New Jersey, and 2-3 players from the Midwest(Ohio, Michigan, Illinois)

Miami is going big here. Yes its ideal for Doc but I don't think Doc is ideal for the fanbase. Plus this job is earmarked for Mario Christobal to be honest

The panhandles need their own schools due to their positions. Fairmont State is well supported on its own. Concord holds its own too. The rest should be turned into 2 year branch campuses. Give WV State to Marshall and the rest to WVU, which is already positioned to operate them. Return the community colleges back where they belong instead of creating another expensive bureaucracy that the state can no afford and making things less efficient.

LOL! Does that mean we turn WVU over to Pitt since many of your students come from PA? Stands to reason, use PA state funds to educate them rather then WV TAXPAYER FUNDS.

WVU couldn't bail out WV Tech, what makes you think they can run any other school? LOL!

You know you WVU fans would sleep better if you accepted that the nation doesn't take the school or program seriously. You have a decent year once in a while then its back to pretender status. You guys would be better served in the AAC - big fish in small pond.

LOL! Does that mean we turn WVU over to Pitt since many of your students come from PA? Stands to reason, use PA state funds to educate them rather then WV TAXPAYER FUNDS.

WVU couldn't bail out WV Tech, what makes you think they can run any other school? LOL!

It's impossible to bail out a school in Montgomery, 50 miles to one side of the only thing resembling a city in that region, when state government is shoving tens of millions at another school located 50 miles the other side of that city to create underorganized, underfunded, inadequately staffed, and with minimal citizen student base, but a shiny building with some bells and whistles, and have that school remain competitive.

Tell you what. Let state government shove $25 million toward Montgomery for a similar project. Give them the $7 million that state government sent to Huntington for an indoor practice facility thinly disguised as an "applied athletic research faciltiy", whatever that means, and raise their budget by millions of dollars since 2007 as they did that school in Huntington, and the results might be entirely different. Those same actions on the part of state government are a prime reason WV State is no longer competitive to the west of Charleston, and has lost more than 30% of its student headcount in the past few years. Putnam commuters are going west instead of east. Even so, Marshall has fewer students now, in spite of all that money shoved at it, than it did in 2007.

It's impossible to bail out a school in Montgomery, 50 miles to one side of the only thing resembling a city in that region, when state government is shoving tens of millions at another school located 50 miles the other side of that city to create underorganized, underfunded, inadequately staffed, and with minimal citizen student base, but a shiny building with some bells and whistles, and have that school remain competitive.

Tell you what. Let state government shove $25 million toward Montgomery for a similar project. Give them the $7 million that state government sent to Huntington for an indoor practice facility thinly disguised as an "applied athletic research faciltiy", whatever that means, and raise their budget by millions of dollars since 2007 as they did that school in Huntington, and the results might be entirely different. Those same actions on the part of state government are a prime reason WV State is no longer competitive to the west of Charleston, and has lost more than 30% of its student headcount in the past few years. Putnam commuters are going west instead of east. Even so, Marshall has fewer students now, in spite of all that money shoved at it, than it did in 2007.

Sounds like a mountaineer fan still mad our Indoor Athletic facility is 1000x better then the storm shed they have in Morgantown the state built for them.

The only thing this CT character (who once claimed to have something like a half dozen college degrees, several from schools that did not offer the majors he claimed to have studied and one of which simply did not exist) seems to know less about than football is higher education policy in WV.

Just another non-alumni (of anywhere) loser who translates love for "his" (same words as on his driver's license, no actual relationship) school's athletic teams into uninformed opinions about academic policy. And it is always important to remember just how dangerous this is for the people of WV. Understand that WVU uses it athletics to keep the uninformed from questioning exactly why the state continues to pour money down the WVU rathole. Which is why what is bad for WVU athletics is good for WV, and v-v.

Which is why the next decade and a half of losing will be so great.

The WV money did NOT go to the Indoor practice facility. It was for the attached medical facility and student academic center.

The IPF et al. were funded by private donations. What about Mylan Stadium, The Coliseum, all those new buildings on WVU;s campus? WV tax dollars weren't used? The arrogance is astounding. WV State sucks, that school is no more than a glorified community college.

Reactions: Herd Fever

It was impossible to bail out Tech, yet WVU still poured millions in state money into that mud hole fully knowing the state powers would grant them more funds for their little pet project. Talk about wasting state and taxpayer dollars.

The fanbase has turned on Dana, which really isn't a surprise given wvu eventually turns on every coach to take up the helm. Cignetti's health is about the only reason they didn't turn on him. Nehlen got it to a lesser extent but by the end, the fans hated the "run it up the middle" mentality & practically shamed him into retirement.
12132551_10156068903095214_753981646069209960_o.jpg

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT