ADVERTISEMENT

Doc/WVU talk has started

I will defend the Rich Rod debacle, as I lived in Morgantown at the time and the way he went about the departure was pretty scum baggish. I won't defend the idiots that made death threats and ridiculous comments and remarks, though.

After living there and even going to school there, I will say that the delusion of WVU being a bigger school, with a long history and command of respect, runs through the entire fan base. They actually think the claim of 'winningest program without a national championship' is a badge of honor and a legitimate claim to fame. They don't get that Big East success doesn't equate to success against teams with the history and power of Texas and Oklahoma.

It's impossible to bail out a school in Montgomery, 50 miles to one side of the only thing resembling a city in that region, when state government is shoving tens of millions at another school located 50 miles the other side of that city to create underorganized, underfunded, inadequately staffed, and with minimal citizen student base, but a shiny building with some bells and whistles, and have that school remain competitive.

Tell you what. Let state government shove $25 million toward Montgomery for a similar project. Give them the $7 million that state government sent to Huntington for an indoor practice facility thinly disguised as an "applied athletic research faciltiy", whatever that means, and raise their budget by millions of dollars since 2007 as they did that school in Huntington, and the results might be entirely different. Those same actions on the part of state government are a prime reason WV State is no longer competitive to the west of Charleston, and has lost more than 30% of its student headcount in the past few years. Putnam commuters are going west instead of east. Even so, Marshall has fewer students now, in spite of all that money shoved at it, than it did in 2007.

Just for the record, it's just over 25 miles from Charleston to Tech. But since you went to WVU, I'm guessing geography isn't one of your strong suits.

I will defend the Rich Rod debacle, as I lived in Morgantown at the time and the way he went about the departure was pretty scum baggish. I won't defend the idiots that made death threats and ridiculous comments and remarks, though.

After living there and even going to school there, I will say that the delusion of WVU being a bigger school, with a long history and command of respect, runs through the entire fan base. They actually think the claim of 'winningest program without a national championship' is a badge of honor and a legitimate claim to fame. They don't get that Big East success doesn't equate to success against teams with the history and power of Texas and Oklahoma.
Celt, when I created that last night, it was more just an observation that wvu fans seem to develop a disdain for all their coaches. As a Herd alum, the fan reaction to Rodriguez slinking away in the night was one of the most enjoyable things our fans have ever witnessed. However, I included him because in the grand scheme, he's just one more wvu coach that the fans turned on.

Reactions: Herd Fever
He wouldn't have left in the night if WVU gave their greatest coach what he wanted. Shit, if they gave him what he wanted, they would have been in the SEC, they would have been winning so much that the SEC couldn't ignore them

He wouldn't have left in the night if WVU gave their greatest coach what he wanted. Shit, if they gave him what he wanted, they would have been in the SEC, they would have been winning so much that the SEC couldn't ignore them
I agree, almost completely. I think they would have ended up in the ACC, not the SEC. But I also believe making him happy, and thereby keeping him around, is the closest they could have ever gotten to at least competing for a National Championship. All sides; the university, the fans, and Rich himself, were wrong in that situation.

And Wise, I agree with you, as well. After the Pitt game, the fans in Morganhole turned on him regardless. It was pathetic, and only got worse when he left for a better pay check.

Because of their Academics and fanbase, WVU would have fit the SEC better then the ACC. WVU fans fit in perfectly with the Alabama fans, Arkansas Fans, Florida fans, and Georgia fans. Just a bunch of rednecks having drunken fun.

Imagine WVU fans walking on Duke campus or UVA campus. Those J Crew rich crowd doesn't want that trash around their Cheese and wine tailgates

Virginia and UNC can't really hold the academic trump card/soap box anymore. And taking Louisville also weakened that argument.

And, really, there aren't many rednecks in the WVU fan base and area. Half of the student body is from Jersey, and a third is from DC/Maryland/Florida.

Virginia and UNC can't really hold the academic trump card/soap box anymore. And taking Louisville also weakened that argument.

And, really, there aren't many rednecks in the WVU fan base and area. Half of the student body is from Jersey, and a third is from DC/Maryland/Florida.

You're talking students, Im talking about the actual fans the non-alumni base that makes up the majority of the fanbase

And Louisville is not that bad of a school. A good friend of mine is in the International MBA program right now

Are you seriously making a case that wvu is on the same level academically with UNC and UVA? Please tell me no!

I could never make the mistake of comparing WVU to anyone academically. I know the difference. I was referring to the continued academic fraud and scandals that have been going on at the schools that love to claim being above all of it.

Louisville is a good school, don't get me wrong. But academically speaking, they're no higher than or better than WVU. If it had been an academic level only consideration, then Cincinnati would have been the choice.

Honestly, Cincy got shafted and the ACC missed out. Plus they should have force Notre Dame hand and forced them to join their football

The ACC honestly should be like this

Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
Clemson

UNC
Duke
NC STATE
Wake Forest

UVA
VT
LOUISVILLE
CINCY

PITT
SYRACUSE
BC
Notre Dame

While WVU's rednecked, hilljacked fan base might act like some fans in the SEC, the point is, of course, that if WVU were in the SEC, its fans would mostly act like empty seats. In football, name me a school that WVU would beat more than once a decade. Assream upon assream. Year after year. In basketball, well did you see the Wildcats play WVU last year? The one thing we all know about WVU's fan base is that it is the most fairweathered in the world. When they lose (and they cannot hang in the Big 2, Little 8, how the hell could they hang in the Greatest Conference? ) they fall away. WVU would never be bowl eligible if it played in the SEC.

In academics, four of the 14 SEC schools are in the elite AAU. All, whatever their fan base acts like are complex and genuine institutions, light years different from virtually open admissions WVU. Looking at the public schools in the so-called "power 5", the only academic analog to WVU, would be Louisville, and even it is a little bit stronger. While some of the ag/tech schools are not that broadly based, they are still great within their specialties.

Remember, this is the essence of WVU's marketing pitch to its majority out-of-state student body. It is the ONE "power 5" school drunk c-students can get into.

wVu could take it's Big 12 "profits" for the next 100 years and pay them back to the state and still be in the red thanks to 100+ years of state funding. any wVu fan complaining about Marshall and state money is an idiot...

Reactions: CockyHerd
While WVU's rednecked, hilljacked fan base might act like some fans in the SEC, the point is, of course, that if WVU were in the SEC, its fans would mostly act like empty seats. In football, name me a school that WVU would beat more than once a decade. Assream upon assream. Year after year. In basketball, well did you see the Wildcats play WVU last year? The one thing we all know about WVU's fan base is that it is the most fairweathered in the world. When they lose (and they cannot hang in the Big 2, Little 8, how the hell could they hang in the Greatest Conference? ) they fall away. WVU would never be bowl eligible if it played in the SEC.

In academics, four of the 14 SEC schools are in the elite AAU. All, whatever their fan base acts like are complex and genuine institutions, light years different from virtually open admissions WVU. Looking at the public schools in the so-called "power 5", the only academic analog to WVU, would be Louisville, and even it is a little bit stronger. While some of the ag/tech schools are not that broadly based, they are still great within their specialties.

Remember, this is the essence of WVU's marketing pitch to its majority out-of-state student body. It is the ONE "power 5" school drunk c-students can get into.

I don't know about that. WVU has beaten Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina and Kentucky already and has future games scheduled with Tennessee and Missouri. I wouldn't pick them to win the SEC but I don't think they are afraid to play anyone either.

I don't know about that. WVU has beaten Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina and Kentucky already and has future games scheduled with Tennessee and Missouri. I wouldn't pick them to win the SEC but I don't think they are afraid to play anyone either.

Honestly, they would probably be somewhat competitive I the SEC East, just look at Missouri. But year in and year out, they would struggle and they would never compete for an actual SEC Championship.

Also, the SEC would not put up with the crap that goes on in Morgantown.

yes, and they beat Oklahoma too. the big difference is beating Oklahoma (or Florida, Georgia, Auburn, ect) and then playing Texas/Alabama in 6 days, then playing TCU/LSU in 6 days, then playing Oki State/TAMU in 6 days, ect, ect, ect.

there is a monumental difference in playing Auburn, LSU, VPI, ect early in the season and then having 8+ weeks of UConn, USF, Rutgers, Cincy, ect than playing an entire Big 12, and even more so, SEC schedule. some of the more intelligent wVu fans are starting to figure this out. however, several still like to pretend by winning those BCS bowls they could easily compete in the same conferences as their opponents...

yes, and they beat Oklahoma too. the big difference is beating Oklahoma (or Florida, Georgia, Auburn, ect) and then playing Texas/Alabama in 6 days, then playing TCU/LSU in 6 days, then playing Oki State/TAMU in 6 days, ect, ect, ect.

there is a monumental difference in playing Auburn, LSU, VPI, ect early in the season and then having 8+ weeks of UConn, USF, Rutgers, Cincy, ect than playing an entire Big 12, and even more so, SEC schedule. some of the more intelligent wVu fans are starting to figure this out. however, several still like to pretend by winning those BCS bowls they could easily compete in the same conferences as their opponents...

Thank you for a valid observation Captain Obvious. I don't think anyone would disagree with what you posted. I merely listed a number of SEC teams that WVU has played and beaten in response to Sam C's off the wall allegation to name an SEC team that WVU could beat in a decade.

Hate them all you want. WVU is not likely to win a Big 12/SEC championship anytime in the near future. But the fact remains that they have and continue to play a national schedule and have had more than their share of success. Ignoring that makes a person look a little foolish, IMO.

JockSniffer and CT, go the f*ck away. This is a Marshall board, for Herd fans to talk and rant, not for WVU fans that aren't welcome on their own boards to hide.

I merely listed a number of SEC teams that WVU has played and beaten in response to Sam C's off the wall allegation to name an SEC team that WVU could beat in a decade.

Actually, of course, the "allegation" (correct word would be challenge) was to name a school in the Greatest Conference WVU would beat more than once a decade. You responded with a list of teams, going back to the, what 1970s,?? , that WVU beat once. Once ever, mostly.

The reality remains that WVU has gone 7-6 (5-5 versus P5) , 4-8 (2-8 P5) , 7-6 (6-6 P5), and currently 3-2 (1-2 P5) since moving up from the mid-major level to the LOWEST of the Power 5. Hardly much of a resume, even for the delusional, for moving up to the Greatest Conference.

Heck, Marshall has beaten both South Carolina and Clemson. Does that mean we should apply to the SEC or ACC?

Again, reality therapy. WVU would NEVER be bowl eligiable if it played in the SEC. There just are not six wins there. Ever. Probably once a decade in the Big 10 or Pac 12, twice in the ACC. Of course, so far it looks like WVU will be (even having played Liberty Baptist College and Georgia Southern (or State, I forget, who cares) and the worst team in the Power 5 for 3 automatic wins, WVU will be bowl eligiable only 50% of the time in Big 2, Little 8.

It is what Ollie signed you up for. Year on year. Forever. It gets worse.

And always remember, you could be having your way with the AAC and delusionally arguing me that this was significant.

I merely listed a number of SEC teams that WVU has played and beaten...

we know exactly what you were trying to imply... now backtrack...

Clemson
K State
Louisville
Maryland
Purdue
South Carolina
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

seems like Marshall would compete very well in the ACC... maybe some of the other P5's as well................

we know exactly what you were trying to imply... now backtrack...

Clemson
K State
Louisville
Maryland
Purdue
South Carolina
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

seems like Marshall would compete very well in the ACC... maybe some of the other P5's as well................
Are you trying to imply that Marshall's record against existing P5 schools is comparable to WVU's when it comes to making a case for P5 inclusion? Marshall has a grand total of 20 wins against existing P5 schools, and 12 of those are against Louisville. WVU has 275 or so wins against existing P5 schools. WVU has 43 wins over AP-ranked teams. MU has 2. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Are you trying to imply that Marshall's record against existing P5 schools is comparable to WVU's when it comes to making a case for P5 inclusion? Marshall has a grand total of 20 wins against existing P5 schools, and 12 of those are against Louisville. WVU has 275 or so wins against existing P5 schools. WVU has 43 wins over AP-ranked teams. MU has 2. I could go on, but I think you get the point.
Are you trying to imply that the eers are going to do anything other than remember the past going forward? 21-22 the past 3 1/2 years and no improvement on the horizon.

woooooow.... that was the biggest bite on troll-bait in my internet life....

i took a screen shot of this to show my grandkids

Marshall 1A/FBS since 1997

[QUOTErichmondherdfan, post: 197756, member: 500"]there are $3M reasons why Doc wont be at WVU ever. What I'm worried about is UCF after this year. Doc in Fla would get some really good players and they can triple his current salary. Oleary is making $2M a year, that scares me the most...[/QUOTE]

What exactly are the 3 million reasons please elaborate?
I know you not talking about buy out because Doc and WVU would both be responsible for that if Doc did become the head coach at WVU. And that would be negotiated to be paid over time not in full so that can't be it.

Salary? WVU is paying Dana 2 million a year so a salary of 2 or 3 million would be no problem if WVU wanted to hire Doc so no dice there either.

I'm not sure what you base you statements on but it sure isn't fact.

I'm starting to wonder how many Marshall fans on here claim you as one of their own.

The only fact you have that Doc would never be the coach at WVU is hope and I don't think that counts.

Are you trying to imply that the eers are going to do anything other than remember the past going forward? 21-22 the past 3 1/2 years and no improvement on the horizon.
WVU made the decision to jump onto the P5 ship before it pulled away from the rest of the pack. That decision came down to money, not wins and losses. It can be argued whether or not it was the right choice, but that ship has sailed. Would WVU win more games as a member of the AAC? Of course they would. But going forward, WVU will have many opportunities for glory on the big stage. Those opportunities are few and far between on the G5 side of the divide.

Jeepers Creepers, really said:
WVU took Texas & Oklahoma's offer to be the #8 field filler in the Big 2, Little 8, because it was its only 'power 5' offer, the ACC selected Pitt and Louisville. That decision came down to money, not wins and losses, because, as a field filler, we get assreamed, and then get us a check (leaving out the $20M in taxpayer money borrowed and never paid back). Would WVU win more games as a continued member of the AAC (old "Big" East)? Of course they would, because, as Ollie said "The Big East was not major college football" and he was right to do so. It wasn't. All the spew about the Big East/Lambert east being significant was just so much bulls**t. But going forward, WVU really really really is gonna win one some day. Really. Really.

It gets worse.

Enjoy.

WVU made the decision to jump onto the P5 ship before it pulled away from the rest of the pack. That decision came down to money, not wins and losses. It can be argued whether or not it was the right choice, but that ship has sailed. Would WVU win more games as a member of the AAC? Of course they would. But going forward, WVU will have many opportunities for glory on the big stage. Those opportunities are few and far between on the G5 side of the divide.
As I have stated once already, GO THE F*CK AWAY. Go back to the WVU boards, this place is for Herd fans.

Jeepers Creepers, really said:
WVU took Texas & Oklahoma's offer to be the #8 field filler in the Big 2, Little 8, because it was its only 'power 5' offer, the ACC selected Pitt and Louisville. That decision came down to money, not wins and losses, because, as a field filler, we get assreamed, and then get us a check (leaving out the $20M in taxpayer money borrowed and never paid back). Would WVU win more games as a continued member of the AAC (old "Big" East)? Of course they would, because, as Ollie said "The Big East was not major college football" and he was right to do so. It wasn't. All the spew about the Big East/Lambert east being significant was just so much bulls**t. But going forward, WVU really really really is gonna win one some day. Really. Really.

It gets worse.

Enjoy.

I would call it the Big 2(Oklahoma, Texas)

Little 3(Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor)

the 4 midgets(TT,Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State)

And the redhead retard orphan that was left on our doorstep(WVU)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT