ADVERTISEMENT

Does D'Antoni have the dedication to recruit well?

Seriously, dude. Thanks for the discussion. I don't care if you're here to crap on Dan or not. You're bringing up valid points, asking good questions, and seem to have more interest in our program than most Marshall fans on this board. I view all interest in our program as a good thing.

And as Chris previously mentioned, I think we're going to be ok in all areas you've brought up. You're acting like Dan is at a program that should be attractive to high level recruits. Dan is recruiting to his system. Just because a guy doesn't have many offers, doesn't mean he won't fit well at Marshall. Stevie Browing and Austin Loop are good examples of that right now and I think Ky're Allison and Jannson Williams will be examples of that in the coming years.

So he can't recruit highly rated players to his system?? Come on now

So he can't recruit highly rated players to his system?? Come on now
Recruiting is picking up. He's only got 1 year to sell to recruits right now and it's picking up. If we can keep climbing the ladder and improving while playing fun/exciting basketball, more & more recruits will want to come to Marshall to play.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Recruiting is picking up. He's only got 1 year to sell to recruits right now and it's picking up. If we can keep climbing the ladder and improving while playing fun/exciting basketball, more & more recruits will want to come to Marshall to play.

I get what your saying but does he have to balls to get in the trenches for those types of recruits? We seen what happened with Frampton and it doesn't seem like Greg Jones is a priority anymore. Will he be able to close the deal with recruits that have multiple offers?

So who leaves in order to make room for Jones? By my count, there's no more scholarships available (13). Hell, Dan's already over by 1.

1. Elmore
  2. Watson
  3. Thompson
  4. Mijovic - playing for his spot
  5. Nikolic - playing for his spot
  6. Burks
  7. Penava
  8. Allison
  9. Bledsoe
  10. Thienenman - playing for his spot
  11. Williams
  12. West
  13. Robinette
  14. Bennett - likely out as a prop
Watson is a blueshirt and counts towards 2017-2018.

NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes Signing 2016-17 and Enrolling 2017-18
Sport (s) Initial Signing Date Final Signing Date
Basketball (Early Period) November 9, 2016 November 16, 2016
Basketball (Regular Period) April 12, 2017 Division I: May 17, 2017
Division II: August 1, 2017

NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes Signing 2016-17 and Enrolling 2017-18
Sport (s) Initial Signing Date Final Signing Date
Basketball (Early Period) November 9, 2016 November 16, 2016
Basketball (Regular Period) April 12, 2017 Division I: May 17, 2017
Division II: August 1, 2017

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Always The Herd
I don't see more than 15 wins

Probably 13. The conference didn't do you any favors with who they matched you up with for the rematch games in conference. That OOC schedule is rough and the D2 victories don't actually count in the eyes of the NCAA selection Committee so I don't count those in my projections for how many wins Mu gets either
Figured I'd bump this thing back up.

We didn't do too bad without James Kelly. Counting the CUSA tournament, our win total was about 50% more than what you predicted.

Keaton is an idiot though, so this sounds about right
I watched the game last night and must admit that Elmore, Burks, Thompson, and Penava is a good start to re-building for next season. Penava is skinny but seems to play bigger then his height do to his long arms. I thought Burks looked faster then Browning and Loop. They really need two more shooter types to step up and they will be ok. Elmore is the best player in that league next season.

Btw, Keaton lost the bet.

Last edited:
I don't recall, but Keaton said that it had to be 20 wins in the regular season.....it doesn't matter though. I'll make an early prediction of 23 wins for next year.

Why do you always do that? What worked for other schools don't mean shit for us here at Marshall.

Point blank defense wins championships and allowing teams to get shots up as fast as possible proves our coach is comfortable not playing defense and that worries me.

Mediocre basketball will continue.
Trying to out athlete everyone and playing a slow half-court game like 90% of the schools in the country would not work for us. The system you propose requires us to recruit at a higher level than we ever have to be successful and that just isn't going to happen with our history. Playing a system based on passing and shooting and pace of play negates our recruiting disadvantages if we execute the system properly, and will allow us to compete against most schools. Do we need to improve on defense, yes, but depth/foul trouble has been the main issue that has prevented our success on defense as our guys do play hard.

They aren't shooters and don't create their own shots. Nor can they take over a game when the game slows down.

We need a player that when the game slows down we can get him the ball and watch him take over
Bennett will be that guy.

Look even further down the road, since this IS a recruiting thread afterall......

2017-18:

PG - Sr Elmore (6'3), RS Fr or So Allison (6'1), Fr West (5'9)

SG - RS Jr Burks (6'3), RS Jr Watson (6'2)

SF - RS So Thienenman (6'5), RS Jr Nikolic (6'5)

SF/PF - So Bledsoe (6'6), Fr Robinette (6'7)

PF/C - Sr. Thompson (6'6), Jr Penava (6'9), Jr Mijovic (6'9), RS Fr or So Williams (6'9)

is that supposed to instill confidence in the future of the program under Dan?
Yeah, I’m gaining confidence in the future of the program under Dan.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
funny, you calling me an apologist.................. did you read your own post?

and yet, all that writing and not one sentence about the actual recruits other than the same old "gosh, they're swell" bumpkin act.

The "we can't get 5 star guys" routine doesn't explain why he doesn't have a player taller than 6'6 on the roster who can contribute in 2016.

Coach K @ Duke is quoted as saying....
"I would rather have a 2-Star recruit with a 5-Star ATTITUDE than a 5-Star recruit with a 2-Star attitude.

"Your Honor, John Marshall...I rest my case." Dan will get us to the NCAA Big Dance before year five.....I will place a $1,000 on it.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Coach K @ Duke is quoted as saying....
"I would rather have a 2-Star recruit with a 5-Star ATTITUDE than a 5-Star recruit with a 2-Star attitude.

"Your Honor, John Marshall...I rest my case." Dan will get us to the NCAA Big Dance before year five.....I will place a $1,000 on it.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
Yes, the last several coaches tried recruiting kids were great athletes with bad attitudes.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Looking at MU Basketball's recruiting since Dan arrived........... it's very, very unimpressive.

No, this isn't some "smack" thread, so save it.

2015 class: 2 euros nobody else wanted and Thenienman, whose best offer was Air Force and who was averaging 6pts a game at the time of his commitment.

2016 class: Bledsoe, a legit midmajor talent, but a kid who's positionless at the college level and who was the 4th/5th best player in the state of WV. Ky're Allison, another local kid who only had one D1 offer (NC A&T). Jannson Williams, who didn't receive a single D1 offer other than Marshall, and who by all accounts won't see the floor for a while, even after his redshirt year.

2017 class: West and Robinette. Combined offer list: VMI, ECU, Winthtrop, Liberty, Longwood

2018 class: Darius George, Jeremy Dillon. Both holding only one D1 offer - Marshall.

So is Dan's "let's keep the WV kids here" mantra just laziness? Thenienman and Williams only got offers because Dan was already at the recruiting events trying to scout better players and he didn't want to leave empty-handed........ His Euro "connection" has fallen on its face to date.

Why Doesn't Dan D'Antoni work harder on the recruiting trail?

Conference rivals WKU just signed not one but 2 ESPN Top 100 recruits....

Looks like the answer is 'yes'. I find it ironic that the original post mentioned WKU's recruits. They aren't dancing are they?

Trying to out athlete everyone and playing a slow half-court game like 90% of the schools in the country would not work for us. The system you propose requires us to recruit at a higher level than we ever have to be successful and that just isn't going to happen with our history. Playing a system based on passing and shooting and pace of play negates our recruiting disadvantages if we execute the system properly, and will allow us to compete against most schools. Do we need to improve on defense, yes, but depth/foul trouble has been the main issue that has prevented our success on defense as our guys do play hard.
Yes and this is what we tried to tell Keaton but he only knows or understand the Huggs way. John Beilein's system was the same. Lose on signing day but win during the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT