ADVERTISEMENT

Does D'Antoni have the dedication to recruit well?

Actually they are 1 maybe 2 over the limit already.

13 current scholarship players.......3 Seniors (Loop, Browning, Taylor)

4 Verbal Commits.....(West, George, Robinette, Bennett)

1 Transfer.....(Watson)

Rumor is that Robinette will Prep but that still leaves them 1 over.

George is coming in the 2018 class.

Robinette will be here next year.

Yep. And 2017 is put up or shut up time for a handful of guys on the roster.

This is one area in which I disagree with Dan......Putting your players (especially players that you recruited) in a position to think that there may not be a scholarship for them next year based on 2016-2017 performance could have some affect on morale. What message does that send to your incoming recruits?

You would think that it's the Euros that are on the performance plan.

Although if Bennett is a prop , as the paper reported, we're right on the number.

Your joking right?? What games did you watch again last year?
I watched about 25 games last season, and yes, he is very good off the dribble and create his own shot from outside or he can drive to the basket and score as well.

Need to get him in the 245-260 range and muscle making the biggest percentage of that weight.

Stamina at his current weight - cant be good , and in a system that wants to run , he will have a lot of work to do in order to get into the shape needed

I know this is not even in the same league but UK has 3 players in the 6'9 / 6'10 range / weight from 240-260 ( muscle) and they are ready to go right now. So that gives you an idea as to what will need to be accomplished. As said , project for this year and hopefully ready to go at the start of the 2017 season.

kind of the whole point of this thread................... if recruiting has been good, this comment doesn't exist.

The Euros have no business in CUSA[/QUOTEOu
Need to get him in the 245-260 range and muscle making the biggest percentage of that weight.

Stamina at his current weight - cant be good , and in a system that wants to run , he will have a lot of work to do in order to get into the shape needed

I know this is not even in the same league but UK has 3 players in the 6'9 / 6'10 range / weight from 240-260 ( muscle) and they are ready to go right now. So that gives you an idea as to what will need to be accomplished. As said , project for this year and hopefully ready to go at the start of the 2017 season.
Cline told me last night that Bennett is now 215, down 70 pounds. They want him down 20 more.

Last edited:
Yep. And 2017 is put up or shut up time for a handful of guys on the roster.

Soooooooo, three weeks before the start of the 16-17 season, we think that the 17-18 season is "put up or shut up time".

"put up" being defined as, I suppose, "not bad", "pretty good" , "above average" or maybe even "3rd".

Can't wait.

Soooooooo, three weeks before the start of the 16-17 season, we think that the 17-18 season is "put up or shut up time".

"put up" being defined as, I suppose, "not bad", "pretty good" , "above average" or maybe even "3rd".

Can't wait.

No.

I meant 2016-2017.

And I was talking about some kids on the roster who have been non contributors. Not the team as a whole.

Reactions: herd2believe
Every coach does miss on kids. That wasn't my point. My point was that when you miss on so many big men as Dan has done is such a short amount of time................... threads like this one are deserved and the sunshine and rainbows posters lose a lot of credibility for not acknowledging the reality of the situation.

No.

I meant 2016-2017.

Sorry. OK. Well, we have already established that this year's theme is "pretty good", meaning 3rd or 4th in this one-bid football focused conference. So "put up or shut up" means 3rd or 4th or maybe 5th. 18 wins or so. Accept mediocrity. Awsome. Can't wait.

Every coach does miss on kids. That wasn't my point. My point was that when you miss on so many big men as Dan has done is such a short amount of time................... threads like this one are deserved and the sunshine and rainbows posters lose a lot of credibility for not acknowledging the reality of the situation.
What big men do you mean. The only name I ever heard was Cook and even though Cook wanted to come here, Danny had zero interest in him. Granted, I'm not as close to Danny as you are (scarasm) I only see him 4-5 times a week.

I am willing to wait and see how the team progresses before making any judgments about D'Antoni's coaching and recruiting prowess! He has produced enjoyable teams to watch, in a very short time, and without any real depth until this year. I like his style, focus on building with players that represent Marshall and themselves in a positive way outside of basketball. Looking forward to this season. It should be great fun.

kind of the whole point of this thread................... if recruiting has been good, this comment doesn't exist.

The Euros have no business in CUSA
Boy you really don't know anything about Marshall basketball and how our system works. The Euros in the team were developmental guys that were not physically ready to play their 1st couple of years at MU. Now, Nikolic and Peneva have put on the necessary weight and look like frontcourt players, and Mijovic has transformed himself in terms of his body type as well and will give us a banger inside that can provide solid minutes as a backup. They may not be star players on the team but all three look like they will be solid contributors in the 2016-2017 season.

We seriously aren't going to let this thing die before reaching 10 pages, are we?

Here's a question I'd like answered:
Would Iran Bennett be a good case study to look into whether or not Michelle Obama's school lunch program was a failure?

(inserting some politics into a recruiting topic should give us a couple pages)

Boy you really don't know anything about Marshall basketball and how our system works. The Euros in the team were developmental guys that were not physically ready to play their 1st couple of years at MU. Now, Nikolic and Peneva have put on the necessary weight and look like frontcourt players, and Mijovic has transformed himself in terms of his body type as well and will give us a banger inside that can provide solid minutes as a backup. They may not be star players on the team but all three look like they will be solid contributors in the 2016-2017 season.

I expect two of the Euros to make significant contributions and all three to contribute at some level....and that will be on a top 4 team in CUSA. when that comes to fruition...maybe Keaton will realize how dead wrong he is with the comment "no business in cusa"

Anything new from practice?

Projected Starters and first guys off the bench?

I'm guessing the starting 5 is pretty set for now: Elmore, Browning, Loop, Taylor, Thompson.

Less than 2 weeks until the first exhibition.......

I'm guessing the starting 5 is pretty set for now: Elmore, Browning, Loop, Taylor, Thompson.

I was planning on going tomorrow, but I just found out the team has tomorrow off. But I'll be attending a practice or two next week. This should be the last weekend until spring where there isn't some bball content on Old Fairfield.

I was planning on going tomorrow, but I just found out the team has tomorrow off. But I'll be attending a practice or two next week. This should be the last weekend until spring where there isn't some bball content on Old Fairfield.

Thanks!!! Can't wait for a report.......

Our tryouts are in 25 days, so I'm getting excited for basketball.

You are right on the starters. Penava backing up Thompson, Burks backing up the guard spots and Aleksa also getting PT. From what we saw in the scrimmage Wednesday, Penava is really pushing Thompson.

Reactions: pdbailey

So recruiting guys who CANT PLAY FOR MULTIPLE YEARS due to lack of physique is not considered bad recruiting?

So recruiting guys who CANT PLAY FOR MULTIPLE YEARS due to lack of physique is not considered bad recruiting?
You're right, no coach has ever taken chances on guys with the hopes it will pay off down the road after they develop them for a few years. Never been done before and it's a shame Dan tried it.

So again this thread started by an eerbilly proves we need a home and home series in hoops and football. If they are scared to play every year, then play every other year so our in state kids can play their out of state kids wearing the WVU brand name!

The other thing this eerbilly thread proves is Marshall basketball is FINALLY on the right track , and if you don't believe me look at the schedule, MIFART is no longer to be found!!!!!!

Go Herd! Go Dantoni!

You're right, no coach has ever taken chances on guys with the hopes it will pay off down the road after they develop them for a few years. Never been done before and it's a shame Dan tried it.

3 straight classes featuring big men who can't contribute in year 1 isn't "taking a chance"

3 Euros. 3 chances. 3 misses so far. Thienenman. Chance. Williams. Chance

Thompson is the only big man who has been able to see the floor in year 1.

Now, he's adding two big men from Hargrave, one who has skill but is far too fat to play in Dan's system unless he drops 50+ pounds and another who is an undersized center who isn't, skill-level, a CUSA caliber player yet and will need a redshirt year

How many "chances" does he get from Herd Fans?

3 straight classes featuring big men who can't contribute in year 1 isn't "taking a chance"

3 Euros. 3 chances. 3 misses so far. Thienenman. Chance. Williams. Chance

Thompson is the only big man who has been able to see the floor in year 1.

Now, he's adding two big men from Hargrave, one who has skill but is far too fat to play in Dan's system unless he drops 50+ pounds and another who is an undersized center who isn't, skill-level, a CUSA caliber player yet and will need a redshirt year

How many "chances" does he get from Herd Fans?
A lot.

Tearing down a roster in one year, rebuilding it the next, and finishing in the top 4 of the conference will buy him as many chances as he needs.

If he can't recruit, he must be the best coach in America to do what he did last year with a roster worse than what he was given. Be if he can't recruit, what he's working with can't be better than what he had in year 1.

Last years success fell on the shoulders of a player he didn't recruit (Kelly) and a bad year for the CUSA

In order to reproduce 17 wins..... there needs to be another James Kelly for Dans system

Is there one?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT