ADVERTISEMENT

Does D'Antoni have the dedication to recruit well?

Ok. So Marshall goes back to winning 10-12 games this year?

I don't see more than 15 wins

Probably 13. The conference didn't do you any favors with who they matched you up with for the rematch games in conference. That OOC schedule is rough and the D2 victories don't actually count in the eyes of the NCAA selection Committee so I don't count those in my projections for how many wins Mu gets either

If the kid has dropped that much weight and they want another 15 off of him they will take him from too heavy to too light - take him down to 200 and you now have the problem of him getting pushed all over the floor. Seems to me looking around the nation at the successful programs and players would be enough for the coaching staff to realize where the kid needs to be weight and muscle wise. Then again no one is planning on going to The Dance again this year anyway...

Marshall forward recruiting target Zaire Williams took an official visit to a Division 2 school last weekend.

Marshall forward recruiting target Zaire Williams took an official visit to a Division 2 school last weekend.
Why should we care? As long as they can play in our system and contribute it is irrelevant. Stevie was DII as well and we love what he has done for us. Why don't you just go to your inbred hilljack website and enjoy it. We do NOT enjoy you here!

Reactions: horsrman
Keaton I really don't understand what your interest is? You hang off of Huggins jock on the WV board. We don't play you because Huggins doesn't want too. If you really aren't pissed your buddy didn't get the job, and it isn't personal with Dan, then why are you so hot about this?

so hot about? I'm just talking basketball......... and this is the only 9 page thread this site has probably seen in a year.

No one is forcing you to enter it........ nor post. So instead of asking me why I'm here? Why are you?

But my previous post was to raise the question.................... when guys who hold Marshall offers are seriously considering going Division 2 rather than come to Huntington................ is that a sign that recruiting is "doing well" under D'Antoni?

But my previous post was to raise the question.................... when guys who hold Marshall offers are seriously considering going Division 2 rather than come to Huntington................ is that a sign that recruiting is "doing well" under D'Antoni?

We're not recruiting him any longer. It's Greg Jones or bust for the 2017 class.

The D2 visit probably means Williams cant qualify to play D1 next year.

He also had offers from ODU, UNCW, BGSU and Charleston - so he's a legit mid major prospect.

Reactions: pdbailey
I'm not doubting that......... but how does a kid like Burks make it in but another one isn't going to qualify for a MU scholarship? Burks was "untouchable" due to his poor academics during his recruitment.

VT loses 4 guys this season and has accepted commitments from 2 recruits.......... so they are not over their limit.

And really, with the transfer rates in CBB, there's no such thing as "over the limit" anymore.

I'm not doubting that......... but how does a kid like Burks make it in but another one isn't going to qualify for a MU scholarship? Burks was "untouchable" due to his poor academics during his recruitment.

Burks was a Prop......And now he's academically ineligible for the 1st semester.

Last years success fell on the shoulders of a player he didn't recruit (Kelly) and a bad year for the CUSA

In order to reproduce 17 wins..... there needs to be another James Kelly for Dans system

Is there one?
Uh, he certainly did recruit Kelly.

So who leaves in order to make room for Jones? By my count, there's no more scholarships available (13). Hell, Dan's already over by 1.

1. Elmore
  2. Watson
  3. Thompson
  4. Mijovic - playing for his spot
  5. Nikolic - playing for his spot
  6. Burks
  7. Penava
  8. Allison
  9. Bledsoe
  10. Thienenman - playing for his spot
  11. Williams
  12. West
  13. Robinette
  14. Bennett - likely out as a prop

Last edited:
So who leave in order to make room for Jones? By my count, there's no more scholarships available (13). Hell, Dan's already over by 1.

1. Elmore
  2. Watson
  3. Thompson
  4. Mijovic
  5. Nikolic
  6. Burks
  7. Penava
  8. Allison
  9. Bledsoe
  10. Thienenman
  11. Williams
  12. West
  13. Robinette
  14. Bennett

Bennett is probably a Prop.....Then it's between Nikolic, Mijovic, and Thieneman.

Ok, so updated the list above............. is it ethical to bring in a kid who academically isn't good enough and boot a current player who did all the right things? That's what Dan always talks about in interviews........... "We're going to do things right"

That doesn't sound "right" to me.... If Burks can't stay eligible, why does he get to stay?

Ok, so updated the list above............. is it ethical to bring in a kid who academically isn't good enough and boot a current player who did all the right things? That's what Dan always talks about in interviews........... "We're going to do things right"

That doesn't sound "right" to me.... If Burks can't stay eligible, why does he get to stay?

I've said in previous threads, I don't like it.....I'm just presenting the info.

Burks is on his 9th life.....Hopefully he got the message cause he has really improved each off season.

Keaton seriously, what's your problem with Dan? Do you go to other Big12 sites and dissect everything that their coach does? This borders on ridiculous. I bet you this team wins 20 games.

I bet you $100 to the charity of your choice over on another board. You don't discuss. You hammer and talk down at everything related to MU basketball.

Didn't I already accept that bet? Anyways, I've done nothing but bring a LOT of recruiting information to this board that otherwise wouldn't have been touched................ you're welcome

WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARSHALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's Go Herd
Support D'Antoni & Holiday. I believe they both sincerely want to be here and
will advance both of our major programs.

so hot about? I'm just talking basketball......... and this is the only 9 page thread this site has probably seen in a year.

No one is forcing you to enter it........ nor post. So instead of asking me why I'm here? Why are you?

I don't think we can say D'Antoni is a good recruiter or a bad recruiter just yet. On paper, what he's done hasn't been very impressive. But, on paper last season we were supposed to be the 9th best team in CUSA and finished 3rd. I don't really worry about the stars and the rankings and all of that.

Doc Holliday pulls in tons of highly rated guys, they aren't helping our football team much right now and some of the best players we've ever had at Marshall in both football and basketball were guys that weren't recruited heavily.

Let's see how things play out. It might turn out that the paper was right and these guys aren't very good. But, it may turn out that the paper was wrong and with a little coaching and the right system they can play some ball.

VT loses 4 guys this season and has accepted commitments from 2 recruits.......... so they are not over their limit.

And really, with the transfer rates in CBB, there's no such thing as "over the limit" anymore.
So who leaves in order to make room for Jones? By my count, there's no more scholarships available (13). Hell, Dan's already over by 1.

1. Elmore
  2. Watson
  3. Thompson
  4. Mijovic - playing for his spot
  5. Nikolic - playing for his spot
  6. Burks
  7. Penava
  8. Allison
  9. Bledsoe
  10. Thienenman - playing for his spot
  11. Williams
  12. West
  13. Robinette
  14. Bennett - likely out as a prop
Robinette and Bennett will both prop next year. Danny has told us that weeks ago. He has 1 scholarship to give. It will either be Jones or a graduate transfer. Again, he has told us that too. You just need to come to practice. Danny is an open book.

Reactions: CockyHerd
Didn't I already accept that bet? Anyways, I've done nothing but bring a LOT of recruiting information to this board that otherwise wouldn't have been touched................ you're welcome

Exactly what new recruiting info did you bring to the discussion.......?

I do appreciate you starting the discussion but let's not go overboard like you're some MU recruiting guru.

Danny thinks our chances have diminished now that Va Tech has offered. I have heard, however, that Tech is already over it's limit. Not sure he would do a year at prep school for them.

Tech and Williams just missed out on Antwan Walker (to Georgetown) who happens to play the same position as Jones. I wonder if Tech will ramp things up with Jones now.

So in 2017...... the front court will be Thompson (6'6), Bledsoe (6'6), Williams (6'9) and one of the Euro bigs who doesn't leave (6'9) with two big men recruits sitting out due to grades......... Taylor will be gone, as will Browning and Loop........

That season is not looking promising. No size or experience under the basket and leaning on Watson to really improve as a perimeter scorer to replace the guards departures.

That season is not looking promising. No size or experience under the basket and leaning on Watson to really improve as a perimeter scorer to replace the guards departures.

I disagree.

Elmore/Burks/Watson/West > Elmore/Burks/Browning/Loop, IMHO. Christian Theineman will play, too. He's shown he belongs in practice. Then there's Ky're Allison.

And while I agree it would be ideal to have Robinette here in 2017 a front court of Thompson, Bledsoe, Williams and Penava should be fine. I'm telling you, Williams can play.

And as @Herdmeister mentioned, if we whiff on Jones Dan has a scholarship to target a grad transfer who can help immediately.

Reactions: pdbailey
So in 2017...... the front court will be Thompson (6'6), Bledsoe (6'6), Williams (6'9) and one of the Euro bigs who doesn't leave (6'9) with two big men recruits sitting out due to grades......... Taylor will be gone, as will Browning and Loop........

Seriously, dude. Thanks for the discussion. I don't care if you're here to crap on Dan or not. You're bringing up valid points, asking good questions, and seem to have more interest in our program than most Marshall fans on this board. I view all interest in our program as a good thing.

And as Chris previously mentioned, I think we're going to be ok in all areas you've brought up. You're acting like Dan is at a program that should be attractive to high level recruits. Dan is recruiting to his system. Just because a guy doesn't have many offers, doesn't mean he won't fit well at Marshall. Stevie Browing and Austin Loop are good examples of that right now and I think Ky're Allison and Jannson Williams will be examples of that in the coming years.

Bump.

Bennett has been playing decent so far this season for Hargrave, although he does struggle to stay on the court due to his size and lack of conditioning. Robinette barely sees the court for them, but they are an elite Prep team, so it's tough to gauge I guess.

Robinette and Bennett will both prop next year. Danny has told us that weeks ago. He has 1 scholarship to give. It will either be Jones or a graduate transfer. Again, he has told us that too. You just need to come to practice. Danny is an open book.

So your saying he is openly committing NCAA violations by openly talking about unsigned recruits?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT