ADVERTISEMENT

Does D'Antoni have the dedication to recruit well?

Well, that's the type of lineup Dan likes to run out there. Sort of it what it is.

You can't say that now............ because of who he's signed in 2017. Goes completely against his philosophy as a coach. So either he's trying to adapt or he's just taking the best recruits he can get and will figure it out later?

in 2017, when these recruits arrive.......... you have just lost Browning, Loop, and Taylor.... and Elmore is out the door at the end of the season too................. that's a lot of scorers leaving, especially from the perimeter.

And he signs 2 bigs and a PG who doesn't shoot it well from deep.

Rondale Watson will be eligible, too.

And Elmore is going to get a year back from the VMI fiasco. Mark it down.

I'll tag out and let @Sean Hammond field that question.
First of all, if Keaton thinks CUSA has 6'5-6'6 shooting guards and point guards, I'd like to know what the hell he's watching. Yes, we play undersized basketball, but our big men are only a few inches shorter than the opposition. Most big men in CUSA are 6'7, with a few of them a few inches taller and a few of them a few inches shorter. MTSU won CUSA with a 6'6, 220 power forward and a 6'7, 230 center...and they beat Mich State with that duo. They beat ODU in the CUSA championship game when ODU had a 6'0 shooting guard in Trey Freeman (last time I check, Michael Cart-Williams wasn't running the point for ODU either). The Golden State Warriors have been shitting on everybody in the NBA with a 6'7, 230 power forward. Spare me on our guys being 6'5-6'6 as being too short to compete.

The 2017 class is filling needs. I'm not sure why Keaton is so concerned, but we need to groom a lead guard to replace Elmore. West is that guy. He's a little different than Elmore, but brings some things to the table that Elmore doesn't like defensive intensity. But the common trait of the two is the high basketball IQ & unselfish play needed by oir PG to be the QB of our offense. Robinette & Bennett are guys who can matchup better with the 5* Center WKU is bringing in. Yes, our offense will have to scrap some of our sets when those guys are in the game, but we'll be able to do some things with them we currently aren't able to do now. At first it was, "Dan's recruiting philosophy won't work." And now that we're 2 years in and he's built a roster full of guys who fit his system, he now has the luxury of recruiting a couple guys who aren't prefect fits but being other skill sets to the table, and now it's "Dan's recruiting philosophy is flawed because he's bringing in 2 players who don't perfectly fit his system."

Systems can morph a little, ya know. And you can run different sets based off the personnel you have on the floor. I'd honestly like to know wtf Higgins thinks he's going to do with Bender because I think he's going to be a waste up there. But maybe Huggins is going to tweak a little bit? We'll see how both coaches will use what they're getting, but after Dan has been recruiting system guys for the past few seasons, I don't have a problem with taking 1-2 guys who may not be cookie cutter fits...just like Huggins is doing with Bender.

Reactions: pdbailey
Why do you always do that? What worked for other schools don't mean shit for us here at Marshall.

Point blank defense wins championships and allowing teams to get shots up as fast as possible proves our coach is comfortable not playing defense and that worries me.

Mediocre basketball will continue.
The philosophies are similar is the reason I bring them up, except we do try to play defense more than they did. You statement of how what worked for other schools doesn't mean anything for MU is ridiculous as you continually preach about having us play the same style as the Power schools. We play an up tempo style of game that is predicated on passing and off-the-ball movement. That is the perfect style for schools that can't get top recruits on a consistent basis as a group of good players that play as a team will usually win a lot of games. Also, you just don't understand the style of basketball we play because you didn't grow up playing in it. Many of us on here that are defending the teams style of play actually played in similar systems growing up so we understand the concepts better and what the style is meant to do. Would we like the defense to be better, hell yes, and it will be, but we just didn't have the depth last season in the frontcourt to be good on defense as it took our aggression away. let's see how things go before conference play starts before we start criticizing the style of play as this team will win 20+ games if they improve by a few stops each half on defense.

"And now that we're 2 years in and he's built a roster full of guys who fit his system"

but he hasnt............. he has 7-8 guys who fit his system.... the Euros dont fit right now at all

Dan probably said Dozic shot it well too..........

A kid like Bennett has no business away from the rim more than 10 feet.

For the record, no one is arguing that Bennett isn't a good recruit........................... but not for Dan's system. The pace that MU tries to play with means he'll have to lose 50lbs to even log double-digit minute.

Dan probably said Dozic shot it well too..........

A kid like Bennett has no business away from the rim more than 10 feet.

For the record, no one is arguing that Bennett isn't a good recruit........................... but not for Dan's system. The pace that MU tries to play with means he'll have to lose 50lbs to even log double-digit minute.
I've been reading with great interest all of your posts about Marshall Basketball. With all of the insights and great understanding you demonstrate about Coach D'Antoni's style, I'm not sure why we hired him instead of you. Where have you been!!

Reactions: pdbailey
Project for 2017-18 season.

Kid gets in shape , tear up the weight room , builds his stamina , rearranges some weight, learns the system possibly grows another inch or so, goes to class , stays out of trouble and by the start of the 2017 season he may be ready to go.

Realizing there is a major difference in a Mickey D and a 3 star , just take a look at the 6'10 freshman at UK , no comparison and there really would not be but..you want to turn this kid into a player take the time to work with him and allow him to develop vs trying to run him on the floor this season and only frustrating him.

Last edited:
Got to ask KeatonsCorner when exactly has Huggins had point guards and shooting guards the size of Taylor and Bledsoe? And his teams have been doing fairly well in the Big 12, haven't they??? Not a lot of quality guards that size in CUSA either, I believe.

CUSA has guards of all ranges in terms of size.

My issue is the on-ball defense from our back court. Guards not big men routinely had career nights against us last year

CUSA has guards of all ranges in terms of size.

My issue is the on-ball defense from our back court. Guards not big men routinely had career nights against us last year

With this I will agree.......I thought the Rice game was a great example of our inability to stay in front of a teams guards.

Their two freshman guards combined for 57 points and shot 17 of 25 from 2.......If you watched the game, they got into the lane anytime they wanted. Help defense was almost nonexistent because our interior guys couldn't risk fouls.

The fact that Rice, for some unknown reason, still took 34 threes helped us pull that game out.

Obviously, defense is where I'm hoping to see the most improvement. Even without Kelly, I'm not worried about scoring.

Project for 2017-18 season.

Kid gets in shape , tear up the weight room , builds his stamina , rearranges some weight, learns the system possibly grows another inch or so, goes to class , stays out of trouble and by the start of the 2017 season he may be ready to go.

Realizing there is a major difference in a Mickey D and a 3 star , just take a look at the 6'10 freshman at UK , no comparison and there really would not be but..you want to turn this kid into a player take the time to work with him and allow him to develop vs trying to run him on the floor this season and only frustrating him.

+1. Good post. If the kid can get his weight in check and in the 270 range........... he could play in this "system," but that's a lot to ask

Unless Hargrave is going to put him on a strict workout regime. I highly doubt he will lose 30 pounds by the time he reports to campus next summer

Also we still need a shooter in this class that is also athletic, and can create his own shot. We struggled last year when the game slowed down and we needed someone to just take over the game. We had Kelly but we don't have him anymore and nobody on the team or coming in the future does that.

He's going to get tested with pace this season at Hargrave.......... with PGs Braxton Beverley (tOSU) and Brandon Knapper (WVU) runnin' and gunnin'

Also we still need a shooter in this class that is also athletic, and can create his own shot. We struggled last year when the game slowed down and we needed someone to just take over the game. We had Kelly but we don't have him anymore and nobody on the team or coming in the future does that.

This class (2017) is done.........With Watson and Burks for the next two years, I think that will be addressed in 18 & 19.

Rondale Watson's stats after 2 years at Wake Forest:

FG% - 35.3%

3% = 30.9%

1.3:1 assist/TO ratio

not sure, without significant improvement this redshirt season, he's a "for the future" guy in the backcourt.

FG% - 35.3%

3% = 30.9%

not sure, without significant improvement this redshirt season, he's a "for the future" guy in the backcourt.
Let me know when we've got to go through Duke, UNC, Syracuse, NC St, & Louisville to win a CUSA title. Then I'll be worried about what Watson did at Wake Forrest.

James Kelly didn't exactly tear it up at Miami and he did ok here.

FG% - 35.3%

3% = 30.9%

Only played in 35 games in 2 years......6 mpg/Freshman - 14 mpg/Soph.

Pretty small sample size.......Hopefully with the year off, he only gets better.

Let me know when we've got to go through Duke, UNC, Syracuse, NC St, & Louisville to win a CUSA title. Then I'll be worried about what Watson did at Wake Forrest.

James Kelly didn't exactly tear it up at Miami and he did ok here.

Just ok??

This class (2017) is done.........With Watson and Burks for the next two years, I think that will be addressed in 18 & 19.

They aren't shooters and don't create their own shots. Nor can they take over a game when the game slows down.

We need a player that when the game slows down we can get him the ball and watch him take over

They aren't shooters and don't create their own shots. Nor can they take over a game when the game slows down.

We need a player that when the game slows down we can get him the ball and watch him take over

I disagree on both counts.

True isolation is very rare in the college game.

Reactions: 19MU88
Actually, the 17 class isn't done. Still have the scholarship that was being held for Frampton. He would like to use it on Greg Jones but chances diminished when Va Tech got involved with him.

Ehh, Elmore is very good at creating his own shots off the dribble and will only improve in that area as he was just a Freshman last season. I think we will be fine in that area this coming season.

Actually, the 17 class isn't done. Still have the scholarship that was being held for Frampton. He would like to use it on Greg Jones but chances diminished when Va Tech got involved with him.
Crap, he would be a very good get as he should improve a lot as a player in college. Has VT offered or are they just kicking the tires like UNC did with Frampton?

Crap, he would be a very good get as he should improve a lot as a player in college. Has VT offered or are they just kicking the tires like UNC did with Frampton?
Danny just said he was afraid we could lose him to Va Tech.

I really want Jones. He's the type of athlete we need on the roster. Buzz Williams will be next to impossible to beat. Has he offered? Tech already has a couple of top 70 kids in their 2017 class.

Ehh, Elmore is very good at creating his own shots off the dribble and will only improve in that area as he was just a Freshman last season. I think we will be fine in that area this coming season.

Your joking right?? What games did you watch again last year?

Yes.

A lot of what James Kelly did was created by Elmore. He didn't start looking like a big time player until Elmore arrived.

Yea because he finally had a player that could get him the ball. Our PG play was terrible before Elmore got eligible.

See that's the scared recruiting I'm talking about.

You're scared that a player might go to another school? That sounds like a coach who shouldn't be at the college level

Reactions: Sash19

Actually they are 1 maybe 2 over the limit already.

13 current scholarship players.......3 Seniors (Loop, Browning, Taylor)

4 Verbal Commits.....(West, George, Robinette, Bennett)

1 Transfer.....(Watson)

Rumor is that Robinette will Prep but that still leaves them 1 over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT