ADVERTISEMENT

Does our streak end Saturday?

jeremycriss

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2006
We have the nation's longest streak of something like 35 games of being a betting favorite. Do you think it ends in Murfreesboro?

Sagarin Predictor would have MTSU as a 2.5 favorite (prior to today's games), so I do believe we will open as an underdog.

They are 3-5 overall against 8-1 team, hard to believe Vegas would make marshall a dog

I doubt that Vegas considers records. I think this will be close. But that being said, I'm not real good at figuring these things out.

Vegas "considers" what number gets the book balanced. Which is to say have an equal amount bet on both sides of the proposition, because you bet 10 to win 9. So one guy bets 10 and wins 9 and the other guy bets 10 and loses, and the house get that 1 in any event. They don't build those big hotels and let you stay in them for free because they are stupid. They don't want to care who wins, and if they do their job correctly, they don't.

For a game like this, lost in a sea of 70 other games including several showdowns, the handle is pretty small. A couple of sharps who know something, or even the random fact that more people from here happen to be vacationing in Nevada this week, can tip the line one way or another.

Reactions: herdalicious
Of course Vegas tries to even the money on both sides and that explains why lines move. But they do a very good job of establishing that opening line and that isn't based on voodoo. These guys understand how the game works. They understand how matchups between teams' strengths and weaknesses affect the outcome. But more importantly they can do this without the handicap of emotions and prejudices that filter and blind the average fan's perspective. I've always said that Vegas should crown their own national champ. It would be the most valid way to pick them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this so close that it's not settled until game time. My guess is that we open as a very slight favorite, but are dogs by game time.

I'm cool with this ish going away. It's just a reminder that we don't play anybody decent. Meanwhile, we all admit the truth, accidentally, when we talk about the real possibility of our 8-1 team losing a 3-5 team.

The line has already moved down to -1, but mid week Marshall will be the favorite

We will be a favorite by kickoff... As mentioned above, this statistic means that we have been pretty good, but have played absolutely no one in the last 35 games.

The line that matters is the one you get when you bet. People in Las Vegas have already bet and probably on Marshall +2 since it's already moved to 1, they will get that line no matter where it ends up before kick. That's why the line moves, that's why people get different lines, that's why some people out there play "the middle" for a living, getting Marshall +2 and then taking MTSU +2 hoping either team may win by 1 thus at worst only losing the 10% "juice" and at best winning both bets.

Right about now we like to struggle on the road, every season it happens at least once. As much as I would love for us to come out and absolutely dominate this team on the road without looking back, I don't see it happening. MTSU usually plays us pretty strong, for a multitude of reasons, mainly because we're still considered a top dawg of the conference. I expect a tough game, especially for Litton, with our defense making the difference for us. Our major road test will obviously be Western Kentucky at the end of the year.

Who thinks the $egas line means anything? I think not getting better by holding bak gets us beat this weekend.

Who thinks the $egas line means anything? I think not getting better by holding bak gets us beat this weekend.

I actually think that the recent pace increase on offense, the gradually more aggressive play calling, and not pilling up the score in the second half is all by design, and part of the maturation process.. geared in part towards this weekend and November 27th. I loved seeing those two 90+ yard drives on Saturday. We'll need those kinds of drives against WKU..

Still struggling to get my head to agree with vegas. What has MTSU really done this season? Thump Charlotte as the niners learn to play FBS football?? Look through Charlotte's schedule and see the progression they have shown each game since, especially on defense, its actually quite impressive. Other than that, what has the Raiders done to warrant positive attention against an 8-1 team?

I am by no means saying we will beat them like last year but we should still be favored. Sure its in Floyd stadium and we did lose there last time, but this MTSU team is no where near as good as that team was while we resemble more of what we were in 2013. I guess at the end of the day it really doesn't matter, just win!

Right about now we like to struggle on the road, every season it happens at least once. As much as I would love for us to come out and absolutely dominate this team on the road without looking back, I don't see it happening. MTSU usually plays us pretty strong, for a multitude of reasons, mainly because we're still considered a top dawg of the conference. I expect a tough game, especially for Litton, with our defense making the difference for us. Our major road test will obviously be Western Kentucky at the end of the year.
Hopefully we got the bad road game out of the way at Kent State. Two years ago when we played MT wasn't it a Thursday night game and they didn't have much of a crowd? We seem to need a crowd on the road to play strong. Being a Saturday maybe there will be a good crowd.

Hopefully we got the bad road game out of the way at Kent State. Two years ago when we played MT wasn't it a Thursday night game and they didn't have much of a crowd? We seem to need a crowd on the road to play strong. Being a Saturday maybe there will be a good crowd.

I am no expert on this stuff but it looks like 81% of people have bet on Marshall to cover the spread and 99% have bet on Marshall to win the money line.

This is based on Vegas Insider.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT