ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Lots of embarrassing things about the game last night:

1) Our fan attendance was embarrassing. Even Ball State and Akron fans were laughing at us.
2) Having to ask donors to foot the bill for just a fraction of our band and support teams is embarrassing.
3) At halftime, UTSA invited all four of our band members who were there to join them to play the Marshall Alma Mater. Nice gesture by UTSA, but it felt like a donation to us and was embarrassing: "Hey, Marshall. Sorry that you are too bush league to send your band and other support teams, but here, we are going to provide you with a hand-me-down and allow the few of you to join us so you can see what a real program feels like."
4) Our cheerleaders. Dear, god. When I was at Marshall, there were more than a few of really hot girls who I allowed to service me. Our cheerleaders over the last few years? I wouldn't want to see them naked even if they paid me to look. What's going on?
5) The attempt to draw UTSA offsides on our field goal attempt? Atrocious. No defender is dumb enough to jump offsides when we put the kicker behind center. We ran one play - a poorly designed and executed double pass - from under center. Do you think we'd suddenly go under center and take a snap in that situation? It's not great to burn a timeout that early in the half, but it is well worth it if it means giving your kicker a 43 yard attempt vs. a 48 yard attempt. It was atrocious all of the way around.
6) @Aaron Perkins is a great fan and looks a dozen years younger than his actual age. Some of you ugly mother fvckers should ask him for his skin care routine. Maybe his release of all hate other than towards wvu and his lack of complaining allows him less stress and to look younger.
7) Christian Spears was on the sideline for a lot of the game. I imagine that is to gauge the team's attitude and organization, which is fine, but I am not a fan of seeing that, as it sets a bad tone.

That is what happens when your season is really bad and then your coach steps on his own dick. Throw in a game on Dec 19 in Frisco, Texas and there you have it.

What do you expect? In general nobody outside a small group of people care about these games. I haven't watch one other bowl game so far. I couldn't even tell you when they are and who is playing. I can for the playoff. I will watch those, just to see all the drama and bitching and maybe some good football. The others, I won't go out of my way to watch. I watched this one becaue it was Marshall and it was like the bearded lady at the circus. Ok, I am going to buy my tokens and take a look.

Seaso over. It was bad and by all accounts we have a lame duck coach. He probably has to win the division next year or he is out.

Reactions: Elkview
The embarrassment wasn’t trying to draw them offsides, it’s the fact that we ever even considered not going for it. I am starting to self debate between two points; is Huff just an idiot or just blind to reality?

You are down 4. Your offense is showing its ineptitude once again having not had a sustained drive the entire game. You apparently know Ali is done for the night. They are moving the ball and clearly the better offense.

Given all that, a FG is about 110% useless. It doesn’t even tie the game, your offense is going to have trouble replicating this field position, and the odds the other team won’t score again are low.

It was a ball-less loser move.

The embarrassment wasn’t trying to draw them offsides, it’s the fact that we ever even considered not going for it. I am starting to self debate between two points; is Huff just an idiot or just blind to reality?

You are down 4. Your offense is showing its ineptitude once again having not had a sustained drive the entire game. You apparently know Ali is done for the night. They are moving the ball and clearly the better offense.

Given all that, a FG is about 110% useless. It doesn’t even tie the game, your offense is going to have trouble replicating this field position, and the odds the other team won’t score again are low.

It was a ball-less loser move.
And 100% against basic football analytics. If Huff doesn't have someone feeding him those data points during games he should be docked pay. Basic necessity/requirement of being a D1 head coach in 2023, IMHO. Huff's decisions in those situations reminds me of Ron Rivera. And no, that is NOT a compliment.

And 100% against basic football analytics. If Huff doesn't have someone feeding him those data points during games he should be docked pay. Basic necessity/requirement of being a D1 head coach in 2023, IMHO. Huff's decisions in those situations reminds me of Ron Rivera. And no, that is NOT a compliment.
You and I have disagreed on this topic before, but you are absolutely right in this instance.

I don't think every decision should come down to probabilities, and I definitely think there is still room to make a decision based on the "feel" of the game, the momentum, etc. But to do the absolute worst possible thing at that given time is unacceptable.

to go from 4th and 2...
to 43-yard field goal try...
to trying to draw them off with our kicker under center...
to taking a delay and not calling timeout...
to making a 48-yard kick (negated by false start)...
to inexplicably trying a 53-yard kick (missed)

Is absolutely ridiculous.

Stopped watching the game entirely what BS play we should have never been there until this ship is righted. Let the immature laugh all they want because sooner or later We will be Marshall again. With this present Administration or not We are Still Marshall and the Spirit of the 75 endures! Go Herd!

You and I have disagreed on this topic before, but you are absolutely right in this instance.

I don't think every decision should come down to probabilities, and I definitely think there is still room to make a decision based on the "feel" of the game, the momentum, etc. But to do the absolute worst possible thing at that given time is unacceptable.

to go from 4th and 2...
to 43-yard field goal try...
to trying to draw them off with our kicker under center...
to taking a delay and not calling timeout...
to making a 48-yard kick (negated by false start)...
to inexplicably trying a 53-yard kick (missed)

Is absolutely ridiculous.
Our kicker wasn't under center. Cole went in as the holder, then went under center. Didn't you and rifle watch the game?

Our kicker wasn't under center. Cole went in as the holder, then went under center. Didn't you and rifle watch the game?
Okay, you are correct... That makes it better :-/

Our kicker was lined up at FB.

I was sitting there watching, texting, on the tablet, eating some pizza and I was like Coach, what are you doing? He has to even know that basic situation on the fly. He is a D1 coach. It was mind boggling.

I was sitting there watching, texting, on the tablet, eating some pizza and I was like Coach, what are you doing? He has to even know that basic situation on the fly. He is a D1 coach. It was mind boggling.
Awe, so you were the one Chad was texting!! One time when they had him on camera, he was texting away, fingers were flying. 🤣

The attempt to draw UTSA offsides on our field goal attempt? Atrocious. No defender is dumb enough to jump offsides when we put the kicker behind center. We ran one play - a poorly designed and executed double pass - from under center. Do you think we'd suddenly go under center and take a snap in that situation? It's not great to burn a timeout that early in the half, but it is well worth it if it means giving your kicker a 43 yard attempt vs. a 48 yard attempt. It was atrocious all of the way around.
That was one of the most bizarre, senseless series of events I've ever seen in a game.

Did you tell him you really dont care to give financially help Marshall? You're leaving it up to him and not bother you anymore with such issues?
I would gladly explain to him. I don't give to sports scholarships. I will write to other parts of school(s), colleges or otherwise. Getting ready to give to somethinglse at Marshall. Not that they will get rich off it(because I am avg joe). Don't mistake not giving to sports scholarships as something else. Alumni chapters, groups, other causes. Giving to sports scholarships, not at the top of my list anymore.

No. Herdman doesn't give to the school anymore. Leaves it up to guys like Chad to carry the program. Frankly, I'm wondering why Herdman even comments on this side of the board.
I was actually getting ready to write a check to the alumni association...maybe a chapter that has something to do with your name...so, let's not jump to false conclusions.

What i have said is I don't feel really compelled to give to athletic scholarships anymore, for a host of reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT