ADVERTISEMENT

Go Mart Park

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
New name of the Charleston ballpark, the contract with the electric company ran out two years ago. Once, and probably future, home of Herd baseball.

• Haha
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Hate to be so negative about our baseball field situation, but I have heard the athletic department call “wolf” too many times before. I have a scrapbook full of architectural renderings of Marshall baseball stadiums from all over the Huntington area.
Each rendering gets more and more basic. We started out with drawings that looked like the Sidney Opera House and devolved to a field with three folding chairs and chainlink fence. Unfortunately, all the sites still look exactly the same. Dirt, rock, bottles, trash, and maybe a broken down bulldozer that hasn’t moved an inch of soil.

If it does get "named", I'd expect ParMar Park, which I kind of like.
I just read this post as Pall Mall Park, which seemed entirely too fitting... lol
Hate to be so negative about our baseball field situation, but I have heard the athletic department call “wolf” too many times before. I have a scrapbook full of architectural renderings of Marshall baseball stadiums from all over the Huntington area.
Each rendering gets more and more basic. We started out with drawings that looked like the Sidney Opera House and devolved to a field with three folding chairs and chainlink fence. Unfortunately, all the sites still look exactly the same. Dirt, rock, bottles, trash, and maybe a broken down bulldozer that hasn’t moved an inch of soil.
Agreed... I started at MU in 2003 and in the dorm next to me were two baseball players. They talked about Kinetic Park being a temporary placeholder and they were excited to play in a new stadium... Since then, five different architectural drawings, no new stadium.

Steve Williams thinks Recovery Park has a nice ring to it
Ahhhh, Hizzzoner always "thinking ahead"! Another sparkling, and brand new, venue where a Large, apparently, segment of Huntington's population can easily dispose of their used needles!! Mayor Steve: always thinking of, and the first to aid, the downtrodden!!!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Open your eyes Samuel. There will be a baseball facility in Huntington....
It will be behind the softball field.....It will belong to Marshall.
Don’t despair, there are many compassionate treatment centers right here in the Huntington area. With the proper help, these delusions will pass. 😁

• Haha
Don’t despair, there are many compassionate treatment centers right here in the Huntington area. With the proper help, these delusions will pass. 😁
Might be a bid war between the treatment centers and the dispensaries goin on.. never know might end up with the best stadium food in the world, I’m talking 2 pizzas, funons and some haagen-dazs ice cream man…

• Haha
speaking of Nucor Steel I did hear that they had a order in on all their electrical gear to operate the plant… so must mean something I guess. That’s going to be a big place for employment. Probably a lot of 6 figure type jobs..

Well, that's what threads like this do to anything in the future.
This thread is exactly why MU doesn't have a field.
Funny how people weren't too keen on MU getting a soccer field...considering the Veterans Fieldhouse was the site selection.
"Durrrr but our memories!!! Keep the rotting site up!!! Durrr I remember when we played some low quality school 30 years ago!!! Now we're tearing down history!! Durrrr!"
MU bought it, tore that POS facility down, built the field and ensured it was FIFA level quality.
Then MU goes out and wins it's only D1 NC not too long later...and everyone suddenly is a fan and has supported the program.
Also, the field would be used for other soccer-related events, bringing a decent economic boost to the area...and given the current programs success, each game is sold out...the field had to expand the seating due to demand.

Exactly when has that ever happened at MU?

Also, renderings in architecture are generally just conceptual art. Clearly things change over time with challenges and finances.

You also glossed over that some virus popped up, a complete shakeup in AD and MU leadership happened, a location war happened, and funding was all over the place...but to Hamricks credit, he really went through with trying to get the damn thing built more than anyone else and Spears made it happen.

The same COULD happen for MU baseball as soccer.

Reactions: Elkview
"We want an AD who has visions for MU and wants to make MU into a contender for conference titles. Someone who has MU athletics first in mind."

'MU AD sets sights on new MU baseball field.'

"HAHAHAHAHAHA LETS ALL MAKE FUN OF THE AD FOR SUCH A STUPID IDEA!!!!"

This thread personifies the detrimental Appalachian mindset. The original topic was about the baseball field in Charleston changing sponsors and it turned into a downward spiral of self loathing. It must be horrible living with that mentality.
Well, does Go Mart sell slurpees?

This thread is exactly why MU doesn't have a field.
Nope, the reason we don’t have a field is that generations of school presidents, fund raising directors, ADs, governors, and legislators, of all stripes and abilities on other subjects, NEVER got the job done.
Also, renderings in architecture are generally just conceptual art.
True, for the 30th time they have “broken ground” but really there is not stamped, approved, set of plans in existence, nor are any of the dozens of permits, etc in hand. It is all, once again, fluff and PR, and I will believe this not the be the case when I am sitting there watching a game.
The same COULD happen for MU baseball as soccer.
Soccer is a fall sport where lots of major schools don’t even participate. Weather is not that big a factor, and the chance to go to a legit American college for free is all the recruiting bait you need. Baseball is a spring sport, meaning a winter sport north of about I-40, where we compete not only with almost every DI school, but with MLB, more than willing to pay kids hundreds of thousands to sign.

We could do better at baseball (nice if we had a coach, season starts in just over 2 months) but there is a top limit there and its no where close to the national championship.

We could do better at baseball (nice if we had a coach, season starts in just over 2 months) but there is a top limit there and its no where close to the national championship.
Smaller schools have won a NC in baseball. I’m thinking Coastal was one a few years ago. What I can’t recall is any northern school winning a championship in the recent past.

* Did a little research and I was correct about Coastal (2016).. Oregon St is the only “cold weather college” to win a baseball championship in 20 years ( actually longer, but that is far as I went back).

Last edited:
Nope, the reason we don’t have a field is that generations of school presidents, fund raising directors, ADs, governors, and legislators, of all stripes and abilities on other subjects, NEVER got the job done

...and when MU finally has an AD who actually is moving beyond what anyone else has done, he is mocked for trying.

I will believe this not the be the case when I am sitting there watching a game.

You won't attend, nor admit you were wrong. Your ego won't let you.

Soccer is a fall sport where lots of major schools don’t even participate. Weather is not that big a factor, and the chance to go to a legit American college for free is all the recruiting bait you need. Baseball is a spring sport, meaning a winter sport north of about I-40, where we compete not only with almost every DI school, but with MLB, more than willing to pay kids hundreds of thousands to sign.

I agree, weather can be a factor in some ways but, the same could be said for WV not being a hub for soccer talent, nor really emphasizing the sport.

Yet, a small school in rural WV has become a soccer presence, fears playing nobody, and beats the big name schools on a routine basis.

If you don't think money isn't in soccer, you don't know soccer. Also, FIFA is the professor of corruption and cheating whereas the MLB is a complete dropout by comparison.
Compete with the MLB and other major schools in baseball?

Cool, soccer is competing with the rest of the world.

I agree, MU could do better at baseball with a coach and an approach just like soccer.

Get a coach who has legit championship experience at a lower level, bring him up to D1, and let him run the program.
Coordinators or assistants from big programs, aren't in charge for a reason.
Give a lower level HC a job at a D1 program, he'll establish a winning pedigree but also have much more room, budget, and overall flexibility to work with.

The Grassie Effect, basically.

...and when MU finally has an AD who actually is moving beyond what anyone else has done, he is mocked for trying.
No one is “mocking” anybody. We are skeptical and rightly so. We have seen this same movie two dozen times.
You won't attend, nor admit you were wrong. Your ego won't let you.
I’d love to be wrong. So far, relative to this issue, the skeptical majority has over a 100 years winning streak of being right.
If you don't think money isn't in soccer, you don't know soccer.

Cool, soccer is competing with the rest of the world.
Right. There is a lot of money in soccer, obviously. The chance to go to college in the US of A, for free is, however, a great recruiting tool. The same cannot be said for baseball in the same numbers, as it mostly recruits players from the USA in the first place.
Get a coach who has legit championship experience at a lower level, bring him up to D1, and let him run the program.
There is no reason not to. Just don’t expect soccer level of success in baseball. It is a different system. Winning seasons in the SBC and competitiveness at our level are about what we can aspire to in this sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT