ADVERTISEMENT

Hampton Our Next Opponent

Peneva declared for the draft at the same time as Elmore and Burks did in April, but originally they each did this so that they could go through the evaluation process so that they could learn what they need to improve on. All three were expected to be back, but Peneva then hired an agent at the end of the basketball signing period, which left us with no options as a replacement. Peneva straight up screwed us over with his late and secret decision.
On the positive side, I am excited over this Rucker kid coming in, maybe he can give us what we are missing inside.

Reactions: kdbherdon
On the positive side, I am excited over this Rucker kid coming in, maybe he can give us what we are missing inside.
Unfortunately, he is not a 5, but a 3 or 4 that is good inside and has a good outside shot. He should help us on the boards as well.

Reactions: beefcake0520
Unfortunately, he is not a 5, but a 3 or 4 that is good inside and has a good outside shot. He should help us on the boards as well.
Don't necessarily need a 5, a good 3/4 with toughness will do. He needs a good backup or compliment as well though. I think Coach D is counting on Bennett to be the 5, if he keeps getting his weight down, I could see that.

Here's the skinny on the Pirates from a friend:

Saw them play Radford twice. Really good guard that can fill it up with the best of them. Good big man down low. No deep bench.
That's what I saw. They are athletic and lanky inside but fight and play tough. Their guard, is very hard to stop, most teams that figured them out had to put a spy (kinda like a zone) with another playing man to man to pressure him on the outside. Bench is not deep but has a good 6th and 7th man. They do have some height and use it well.

I think I deserve something, maybe an apology from the dicks for being right. Or I can just say told ya so and call it even. Yeah let's go with the last one.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Peneva declared for the draft at the same time as Elmore and Burks did in April, but originally they each did this so that they could go through the evaluation process so that they could learn what they need to improve on. All three were expected to be back, but Peneva then hired an agent at the end of the basketball signing period, which left us with no options as a replacement. Peneva straight up screwed us over with his late and secret decision.

Always blaming someone for leaving...and a coach cannot make any adjustments despite habing ample time to do so.
Face it, it wasn't Penava leaving that cost MU 50 pts against USM or absolute blowout losses to P5 basketball programs.
And you think college athletes are honest anymore? They constantly go pro all the time when they say they won't.
Serves the programs right, the entire NCAA is corrupted.

Always blaming someone for leaving...and a coach cannot make any adjustments despite habing ample time to do so.
Face it, it wasn't Penava leaving that cost MU 50 pts against USM or absolute blowout losses to P5 basketball programs.
And you think college athletes are honest anymore? They constantly go pro all the time when they say they won't.
and so do coaches

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
I don't think I will ever understand some of the things being thrown around here, and the fact that we are in this tournament being the center of it. CUSA is in a downward spiral as a basketball league, we had our best chance to place 2 in the dance last year and the committee showed us that just isn't going to happen, not with the programs we have now vs. what we had in 2.0. MTSU should have never gotten snubbed......but they did. I give facts about our opponents, why we should respect them and the elitist come out of the corners because they still believe we are CUSA 2.0. The Morehead debate, jeez, that program hasn't done much since Donnie left them for USM, and in turn got USM in trouble. IMO the OVC did great this year, they had 3 good programs, that almost never happens in that league, hats off to them. What I find laughable is the fact that they can get 2 of them in, while we had 3 worthy programs last year and 1 got in. This year is was a train wreck for the whole league, not even 1 NIT invite. The thing about morehead, I might respect them for their history, but the recent history is nothing to respect..........and we lost to them, and most of the programs in that conference are pretty bad. Any league that has good programs, it doesn't matter what league that is, can challenge and defeat a lot of so-called self established elite mid majors and power schools. I like that we are salvaging to the best of what we can do, a disappointing season, it was a good call. The fact that Hampton is no stranger to the NCAA, since we have some quoting things of long ago, should give Herd fans a little insight that we may very well have a good fight on our hands. They just went up and beat a 22 win NJIT squad by double digits, it gets my attention. I saw them take out Radford, who is also a 22 win squad, at Radford. I predicted that Charleston Southern would take out FAU, and they did, only to take on Hampton later and lose......PC won their first game as well, and gave us a helluva fight until 3 minutes left. IMO the Big South is representing well and is just flat out not getting any respect from some here. Ok, that's fine by me, be ignorant if they want to be. Simple searches would reveal what I already know. I hope we lay it on them, but I don't think it's going to be that easy and harder than playing PC. We, CUSA, are not above these conferences or programs until/unless we get some old dragons awoken in the conference. jmho.

I was playing a violin while reading this.
I nearly stopped when you said you didn't respect Morehead. You also flip flopped between praising Morehead's conference and hating on Morehead.
So how recent of a program's history do you "respect"? 5 years? 10 years?
Or just enough to suit your argument?
Then the last of this is just you patting yourself on the back for being able to use a search engine. You then talk about your predictions about lesser known teams and all this other meaningless stuff that reminds me of the Dan Hawkins segments where he'd talk up the lesser division 2 and 3 schools with player stats and storylines...of course nobody knew who these schools or players were.

If you watched tonites game, you might have noticed the Hampton players decided it wasn’t such a good idea to go to the rim when Bennett was defending.....funny that.....

I was playing a violin while reading this.
I nearly stopped when you said you didn't respect Morehead. You also flip flopped between praising Morehead's conference and hating on Morehead.
So how recent of a program's history do you "respect"? 5 years? 10 years?
Or just enough to suit your argument?
Then the last of this is just you patting yourself on the back for being able to use a search engine. You then talk about your predictions about lesser known teams and all this other meaningless stuff that reminds me of the Dan Hawkins segments where he'd talk up the lesser division 2 and 3 schools with player stats and storylines...of course nobody knew who these schools or players were.
Plainly simple, results are in and you my nonfriend are a dumbass. When did I flip flop on anything, provide some evidence. Ok along your lines of thought process, Rice is to be feared because they were once part of the SWC. That's idiotic. When did all these tourney wins happen for Morehead, oh nevermind, you won't look damn thing up and this time I'm not doing your work for you

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
No one expected it. Plus, Peneva was worth 20+ net PPG to the team. In other words, our team was 20+ PPG better with him on the floor because of his offense and rim protection. With Peneva, this team would have won 27-28 regular season games and would have been the favorite to win the CUSA tournament and return to the NCAA tournament. Without him, we won 18 regular season games, which is about what I expected when the news broke.

If you watched tonites game, you might have noticed the Hampton players decided it wasn’t such a good idea to go to the rim when Bennett was defending.....funny that.....
Bennett does provide some rim protection with his presence and I could see him developing into a heck of a player for us if he can continue to get in shape and stay healthy. Bennett's numbers on the season did not look bad for a Freshman outside of the need to cut down on the TOs and fouls. Based on the points he scored and the minutes he played, he would have averaged 8.4 PPG/5.5 RPG/ 2.3 Off Reb/1.6 BPG if he played 25 minutes per game. I could see him developing into a force next season and be a 12 and 8 guy at the 5 for us.

No one expected it. Plus, Peneva was worth 20+ net PPG to the team. In other words, our team was 20+ PPG better with him on the floor because of his offense and rim protection. With Peneva, this team would have won 27-28 regular season games and would have been the favorite to win the CUSA tournament and return to the NCAA tournament. Without him, we won 18 regular season games, which is about what I expected when the news broke.

Expect the unexpected...not sure if Penava would have followed up with the season he had prior...Elmore even slumped.
You may be giving far too much credit to someone like him.
But hey, one can speculate.

Plainly simple, results are in and you my nonfriend are a dumbass. When did I flip flop on anything, provide some evidence. Ok along your lines of thought process, Rice is to be feared because they were once part of the SWC. That's idiotic. When did all these tourney wins happen for Morehead, oh nevermind, you won't look damn thing up and this time I'm not doing your work for you

You've spoken negatively about Morehead's history in basketball. In fact some on here even said you were wrong about it in other threads.
You then praise the OVC for having 3 good teams and getting 2 in while CUSA doesn't even get an NIT invite*
Morehead's been to the NCAA tournament 7 times with a 6-8 record overall including 2 sweet 16 appearances and a win over #4 Louisville.
6 wins...5 more than MU (and they beat MU in the tournament back in the day as well).

*ODU got an NIT invite automatically by winning the regular season. I'm sure your detective skills on google picked up on that.
As for everyone else? Who cares. I'm not concerned about it.
Why should I be? If WKU doesn't get a bid anywhere, play better next season. Or just win the tournament. Same with everyone else.

You've spoken negatively about Morehead's history in basketball. In fact some on here even said you were wrong about it in other threads.
You then praise the OVC for having 3 good teams and getting 2 in while CUSA doesn't even get an NIT invite*
Morehead's been to the NCAA tournament 7 times with a 6-8 record overall including 2 sweet 16 appearances and a win over #4 Louisville.
6 wins...5 more than MU (and they beat MU in the tournament back in the day as well).

*ODU got an NIT invite automatically by winning the regular season. I'm sure your detective skills on google picked up on that.
Why should I be? If WKU doesn't get a bid anywhere, play better next season. Or just win the tournament. Same with everyone else.
Who knows what your damn point is, again, you either have issues with comprehension, writing, understanding or something. Again, dumbass, last year MTSU AND WKU went to the NIT, do some damn research for once. WKU was not the regular season champ so they were an at large. Get a clue, try harder, or just simply don't post, you my nonfriend, just cant play ball in this conversation it seems, and definitely can't keep up

As far Morehead is concerned, they last made the dance 2011, 2009, 2009 was a play in game for them, damn musta been shit according to Sam. Last time they won one beyond the play in was 2011, Donnie's last year there. Care to guess the last time before that, that they won a game in the dance that wasn't a play in or preliminary game? Try 1961. Last time they made the dance before 2009? Try 1984.
What's all that mean? 1984, 1961 has no friggin bearing on the current program. You know Army has at least one football championship,are they to be feared as Alabama because they won 3 championships in the 40s, with your dumbass suggestion, the answer would be yes, don't think anyone would agree with that. Hey wichita state used to have a football team too..lol do your research before looking like a fool, or simply don't play this game, you are losing badly

As far Morehead is concerned, they last made the dance 2011, 2009, 2009 was a play in game for them, damn musta been shit according to Sam. Last time they won one beyond the play in was 2011, Donnie's last year there. Care to guess the last time before that, that they won a game in the dance that wasn't a play in or preliminary game? Try 1961. Last time they made the dance before 2009? Try 1984.
What's all that mean? 1984, 1961 has no friggin bearing on the current program. You know Army has at least one football championship,are they to be feared as Alabama because they won 3 championships in the 40s, with your dumbass suggestion, the answer would be yes, don't think anyone would agree with that. Hey wichita state used to have a football team too..lol do your research before looking like a fool, or simply don't play this game, you are losing badly

Still waiting for you to address your flip flopping problem. Hell, I'm waiting for you to actually address everything I responded to you with.
Fellate the teams in this tournament all you want, its still a 3rd rate tournament with mid major schools, many of whom nobody knew existed until this tournament and all of whom are already forgotten by 98% of everyone involved.

But hey, answer me this, historically, is the OVC a good conference? Lets go back 10 years. Give me some proof. You speak of Army and the 1940's...go ahead.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Hey Sam, I see you lurking on here. How about a word of encouragement for the team before tonite’s game? It’s not that hard. You type a “G”, then an “o”, then a space.....you get the idea don’t you old timer? When you finish, just mash the “Post Reply” button....

To GHMY:
answer your own challenge: Historically, has Marshall enjoyed much post-season success?
Let’s go back, say....100 years. Provide some proof. You speak of NCAA 2018.....go ahead....don’t pussy out now, you’re on a roll!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ep7d6nd4vfsn9j7/Photo Apr 04, 14 12 59.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Reactions: beefcake0520
GHMY-There is no flip flop, I have stayed on target through all your crap. I gave them credit for this year for sending multiple teams to the dance, if you want to say I flip flopped for giving them credit for 1 great year for that conference, that is pretty short sighted, but hey, whatever floats your sinking boat. Historically, no, the OVC isn't a good conference, they are average at best and no better than 90% of the other mid majors out there, they rarely ever send more than 1 team and most of the time are knocked out of the first round, in this decade and the last. Name me all the teams in that conference and tell me how great they are lol. This is within the last decade. All time example is Murray State, the ruler of that conference in history, they have been 19 times, and only won 3 games, great conference huh. You like to claim Morehead and their run in 2011, beating UL in the first round, OK, I give you Winthrop 2007, also made it to the round of 32 beating #6 Notre Dame to get there, also has 10 appearances since 1999, which I am pretty sure is a lot more in that time frame than Morehead. Do I need to bring up George Mason, before they were A10? What about Hampton, you know, the team that almost got us the other night, 6 appearances since 2001, 3 since 2011, yep that is more than Morehead in the same time frame lol But hey, lets use things like back in the 80s and 60s to say they are a great program. If you are going to use that logic, then Army is as good as Alabama and Wichita, Pacific etc still have football programs, what is the difference? same logic, right? This is why I call you a dumbass, you fail at doing any kind of research that really only takes a minute, you fail at following this converstation/topic, you try to look smart when actually you are making yourself look very stupid. I have put your butt to shame in all this but you still keep trying and still keep looking stupid. Here, As my friend W-S posted, you and sam are nothing but rabbit hole seekers, constant misinformation, trying to twist stuff in your favor instead of using facts as they are stated, can't accept facts when presented, so welcome to the black hole/ignore list, see ya.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT