ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Baseball

No, I didn't watch the CWS. The same way most people didn't.

The 350,000 in attendance...over how many games is that? What I've been able to find, it looks like they average about 23,000/game. There were more people than that at the Boca Bowl. Not sure that's impressive. I guess Marshall can say that in 14 games last year they had about 350,000 people attend their games.

It costed $25,000,000 to build Appalachian Power Park in the early 2000s. The projected cost of the wvu ballpark was $21,000,000. I guess we should expect a $15-20,000,000 price tag? My bad.

i think our internal estimates to build a stadium to meet cusa requirements would be in the $12m range, that doesn't include what we'll have to pay for potential land/remediation of that land.

23,000 at the Boca Bowl? LMAO. I'll bet that that stadium did not see a true crowd anywhere near 23,000 all last season for any of FAU's home games or for the Boca Bowl!!

Then get all the people who care so much together and send your thousands of emails to Mike and tell him how badly the University needs a baseball stadium. Tell him about the amount of money we're missing out on because we have no on campus baseball stadium to sell out during the months of March & April when we have such spectacular weather here in WV.
Mike and I have talked about that very thing. His #1 priority is a baseball stadium. The biggest drawback is land. It is now well known that MU and the city are working together to get a stadium that MU can use in the spring and then either a wooden bat or short season team can use in the summer.

i think our internal estimates to build a stadium to meet cusa requirements would be in the $12m range, that doesn't include what we'll have to pay for potential land/remediation of that land.
Hamrick told me that ECU raised 12 million is one year to build their stadium. That was about 10 years ago or so. No idea what that equates to by 2015 dollars. The school didn't have to shell out a single dollar.

Hamrick told me that ECU raised 12 million is one year to build their stadium. That was about 10 years ago or so. No idea what that equates to by 2015 dollars. The school didn't have to shell out a single dollar.

saying the school didn't have to shell out a single dollar is a misnomer, it's not as if someone built it and let them use it, their donors gave more to the baseball fund that year, when their dollars could've gone to other parts of the athletic department.

saying the school didn't have to shell out a single dollar is a misnomer, it's not as if someone built it and let them use it, their donors gave more to the baseball fund that year, when their dollars could've gone to other parts of the athletic department.
true, like the fund Mike set up here. BUT how many gave more than they usually would have? I know that the money I gave for the Vision Campaign was above and beyond my regular Big Green donation.

BTW, One of the nicest fields, if not the nicest school field I have ever seen is at Lawrence Co. HS in Louisa. That field is beautiful. Its better than Appy Power Parks field by a mile. I was on it last weekend - extremely impressive for any HS, let alone one in Louisa. Kudos to the folks down there.

How about appointing Rick Reed and Jeff Montgomery to lead a stadium fundraising effort?

East Carolina's field was a conglomerate of contributions. The site management was done by a homebuilder and road engineer, ala Lewis and Clark Field. The turf was done by an alum. It didn't hurt they were playing great baseball and had one of the most well-respected coaches in all of college baseball, Keith LeClair.

The problem with Marshall Baseball, as I have read here, no one cares and will not donate. From reading, complete apathy. Football only.

I guess that is a sign of the area in which I grew up in. People just really do not care and are happy with one sport doing just OK. Heck, we can't even pack the Joan on a regular basis. Sucks for MU sports and I know it has to be frustrating if you are in the administration side of things.

If you do recall, Howard McCann, father of Brian McCann, was promised a field in 1990. This is why he left UGA to come to Huntington. 25 years ago....and our players still play on a BELOW avg field. Shameful

When was the last time they was at Marshall??

Not sure about that, but while playing in the bigs, he would spend a few weeks every year practicing with Marshall before he left for spring training.

In one interview during a year he was an all-star, he claimed spending time working out with Marshall put him ahead of his usual curve for the season which allowed him to perform better.

When in town, he would call a Marshall catcher to catch for him. One year, the day before he left for spring training, he got pissed and walked off the field with only one out in the inning because he was getting rocked during an intrasquad scrimmage. He had gone through the lineup and only was able to get one out.

Another time, he was throwing to live hitters in the cage. The batter would stay in there until he hit the ball fair, struck out, or walked. The batter hit a shot in the cage, then as exiting, said "chipper jones." The previous season, chipper had hit reed and the mets pretty hard. The comment infuriated reed and he started yelling for the hitter to get back in the cage. Usually, reed only threw between 88 - 91 MPH. But, this time, he gassed it up and tried throwing it through the kid.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
No, I didn't watch the CWS. The same way most people didn't.

The 350,000 in attendance...over how many games is that? What I've been able to find, it looks like they average about 23,000/game. There were more people than that at the Boca Bowl. Not sure that's impressive. I guess Marshall can say that in 14 games last year they had about 350,000 people attend their games.

It costed $25,000,000 to build Appalachian Power Park in the early 2000s. The projected cost of the wvu ballpark was $21,000,000. I guess we should expect a $15-20,000,000 price tag? My bad.

A ridiculous comparison.to a bowl game or a season attendance of a college fb team. I've been to NCAA baseball regionals, super regionals and my son played at the very highest level of Div.-1 and my experience is good crowds, dedicated fans, beautiful stadiums, and easily the #3 sport on any campus(with the exception of some hockey and lax schools.) Most of the media that constantly talk baseball down work for outlets that don't have a strong investment or interest in the game. NBC, espn, CBS come to mind. Comparing the current popularity of any sport to college or pro football is a "well no shit" conversation. As America continues to get more brown, baseball will only get stronger.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Not sure about that, but while playing in the bigs, he would spend a few weeks every year practicing with Marshall before he left for spring training.

In one interview during a year he was an all-star, he claimed spending time working out with Marshall put him ahead of his usual curve for the season which allowed him to perform better.

When in town, he would call a Marshall catcher to catch for him. One year, the day before he left for spring training, he got pissed and walked off the field with only one out in the inning because he was getting rocked during an intrasquad scrimmage. He had gone through the lineup and only was able to get one out.

Another time, he was throwing to live hitters in the cage. The batter would stay in there until he hit the ball fair, struck out, or walked. The batter hit a shot in the cage, then as exiting, said "chipper jones." The previous season, chipper had hit reed and the mets pretty hard. The comment infuriated reed and he started yelling for the hitter to get back in the cage. Usually, reed only threw between 88 - 91 MPH. But, this time, he gassed it up and tried throwing it through the kid.
That was in the early 90's. Remember hearing all about it. Plus, Reed was a big giver to the program. Tons of catchers gear and spikes and gloves. Was a good dude.

Well, I do know he was there in the 90's for about 5 years because I was there; there for everyday of his workouts.

He may have still been doing it when you so because it was the backend of his career and he later returned as the pitching coach for Piepenbrink after retiring in 2003.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT