ADVERTISEMENT

Herd signs Spring Valley star; 3rd member of 2020 class

Three signees?... That has to be about it for this year's recruiting class correct?

Meredith is a PWO. Not sure why the article is written as though he's a scholarship recruit on the level of Early and OAK; because he's not.

The Htgn paper does that a lot, making it a bigger deal than it really is.

And the high schools are just as bad. They will have a pep rally for a kid that’s signed for a meal plan and books at a backwater D3.

Meredith is a PWO. Not sure why the article is written as though he's a scholarship recruit on the level of Early and OAK; because he's not.
Chris - My bad. I didn't really read it close enough, I guess. His stats lead me to believe scholly level. I should have paid attn to the other schools interested in him. ? - Does this mean someone currently on the team is going to get an "opportunity" to play elsewhere?

Chris - My bad. I didn't really read it close enough, I guess. His stats lead me to believe scholly level. I should have paid attn to the other schools interested in him. ? - Does this mean someone currently on the team is going to get an "opportunity" to play elsewhere?
No worries. Unless you follow recruiting very closely you'd have no way to know from that article that Meredith is coming as a PWO.

PWOs don't impact the limit of 13 scholarships. As of right now all 13 are taken for '20-'21.

1. Williams
2. West
3. Beyers
4. George
5. Kinsey
6. Bennett
7. Taylor
8. Dillon
9. Sarenac
10 Miladinovic
11. Rucker.
12. OAK
13. Early

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
No worries. Unless you follow recruiting very closely you'd have no way to know from that article that Meredith is coming as a PWO.

PWOs don't impact the limit of 13 scholarships. As of right now all 13 are taken for '20-'21.

1. Williams
2. West
3. Beyers
4. George
5. Kinsey
6. Bennett
7. Taylor
8. Dillon
9. Sarenac
10 Miladinovic
11. Rucker.
12. OAK
13. Early
Just reading down that list and there is a ton of returning experience. Real game time experience other than Rucker. Looking forward to adding OAK and Early to the mix.

The Htgn paper does that a lot, making it a bigger deal than it really is.

And the high schools are just as bad. They will have a pep rally for a kid that’s signed for a meal plan and books at a backwater D3.

So a kid going D3 isn’t as worthy of some recognition as a D1 kid? That’s hilarious.

I’d rather have a D3 kid who has their head on straight than some of the ****ing head casss and trouble makers Docs brought in.

So a kid going D3 isn’t as worthy of some recognition as a D1 kid? That’s hilarious.

I’d rather have a D3 kid who has their head on straight than some of the ****ing head casss and trouble makers Docs brought in.

Recognize all you want, how it’s handled by the local fish wrapper and local high schools is out of proportion, even for major college signees. Yore wife is a teacher, how bout some assemblies for students who get actual scholarships from schools.

Recognize all you want, how it’s handled by the local fish wrapper and local high schools is out of proportion, even for major college signees. Yore wife is a teacher, how bout some assemblies for students who get actual scholarships from schools.

That we agree on. It is how it’s handled. Now the trend seems to be birthday parades. Crazy.

The young man was a good high school player. Is that simply enough to make him worthy of a D1 offer? If so who else recruited the young man?
No one! So DD offers “Preferred Walk On” opportunity- no scholarship at this time so the young man at least has the chance to prove himself.

Reactions: 5150
Didn't we do this just a few seasons ago with another high scoring "hotshot" from down Spring Valley way? Kilgore, I believe the name was. IIRC, he was even named the State's POY by some. Basically sat on the bench for a season or so; only got in when the Herd was in serious "mop up" mode, which wasn't that often.

Didn't we do this just a few seasons ago with another high scoring "hotshot" from down Spring Valley way? Kilgore, I believe the name was. IIRC, he was even named the State's POY by some. Basically sat on the bench for a season or so; only got in when the Herd was in serious "mop up" mode, which wasn't that often.

We have a history of adding local walk-ons since DD has arrived. We do every year. honestly, I think it's great. Gives staff and player time to figure out if he can play D-1. Gives chance to earn scholly. In most cases, there isn't a scholly earned. Devon Collins came last year with what appears to be a scholly promised to him after a couple of years. Collins will be the first former walk on to get a scholly from DD I believe. That is unless you count Loop who was a walk on under Herrion, added to scholly after player departures, then DD kept on scholly or maybe even put him back on scholly.

Brett Bowling WV
J Kilgore WV
N Frampton WV
Ot Elmore WV
C. Villars Ashland KY
M Reed WV
W Fenton wv
W Von Arndt Sweden
L Thomas Proctorville OH
D Murphy WV
D Collins WV
R Williams WV
T Sturm WV

He left the program to finish his pre-med work. Now he is in Marshall Medical School

Im pretty sure he was being sarcastic... MU should absolutely be recruiting the top 1-2 players in the state every year (obviously while taking positional needs into consideration).
I don't always know sarcasm from some on these boards. I hope you're right

Reactions: Always The Herd
The two signees from 304 had opportunities and scholarship offers from many other D1 schools including wvu. Why is it so terrible to have signed them?

Tell us again what kind of successful year we had last year.

You did say this right?

"Yes. Winning regular season and conference records. A first round tournament win. Who knows what could have been. As been the case with Danny's teams, they play better as the season goes on. Nobody could say that we didn't play our best ball at the end by winning 5 of our last 6 games and 7 of last 9"

So you think 17-15 a great record? They were 7 point dogs going into La.Tech, most likely a loss.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Obinna-Anochili-Killen-122376/RecruitInterests/

There is your guy. Besides MU the only other school he would have chose from that list is maybe Penn St. or ODU. WVU never offered. Staying home with a list like that was a no brainer.

"Nobody could say that we didn't play our best ball at the end by winning 5 of our last 6 games and 7 of last 9"

Isn't that the same logic when you morons, at another board, was trying to convince yourself why MU should be conference champs? De Facto Conference champs with a record of 17-15. I think you are more interested is having something to do in the afternoon, rather then having a successful program.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Obinna-Anochili-Killen-122376/RecruitInterests/

There is your guy. Besides MU the only other school he would have chose from that list is maybe Penn St. or ODU. WVU never offered. Staying home with a list like that was a no brainer.

"Nobody could say that we didn't play our best ball at the end by winning 5 of our last 6 games and 7 of last 9"

Isn't that the same logic when you morons, at another board, was trying to convince yourself why MU should be conference champs? De Facto Conference champs with a record of 17-15. I think you are more interested is having something to do in the afternoon, rather then having a successful program.

You are really knocking this list of offers? Really? 12 legit D1 offers... VCU, Akron, George Mason, Rhode Island, etc. There are a bunch of strong mid-major programs on that list. Its a good pick up. I'm not sure why that's hard to admit. And Meredith is a PWO... you don't want those to go to local kids? Or you just looking for something to complain about? Early and Killen are solid 304 recruits with lots of D1 interest...It blows my mind that people still want to knock DD for this recruiting class.

VCU, Akron, George Mason, Rhode Island, etc. There are a bunch of strong mid-major programs on that list

I may give you VCU; but Akron, GM, and RI come on maybe in the 90's. I didn't say I don't want local kids. What do you want local yocals or a good solid team. Not that locals cannot, but it's few and far between (the Jon and Randy's).

T

There is your guy. Besides MU the only other school he would have chose from that list is maybe Penn St. or ODU. WVU never offered.

Winner. Rack 'em.

Believing that MU is outrecruiting WVU for ANY PLAYER in ANY SPORT is just as delusional as when the Spamites believe that WVU is outrecruiting national level programs because Metronews told them to believe that.

This fan base used to be better than that. I long for the day when we are again.

Winner. Rack 'em.

Believing that MU is outrecruiting WVU for ANY PLAYER in ANY SPORT is just as delusional as when the Spamites believe that WVU is outrecruiting national level programs because Metronews told them to believe that.

This fan base used to be better than that. I long for the day when we are again.
Spare me, Sam. No one said WVU offered OAK and no one claimed we would beat them head to head for a recruit.

I may give you VCU; but Akron, GM, and RI come on maybe in the 90's. I didn't say I don't want local kids. What do you want local yocals or a good solid team. Not that locals cannot, but it's few and far between (the Jon and Randy's).
I think DD has done well with both...good solid teams every year with a good mixture of state talent. Browning, Burks, West...yes, please keep giving me guys like that every year. And I think Early can fit that mold too. With Killen, you get highly recruited and size and from 304, but that's still not good enough for people who are determined to not like our coach and enjoy MU hoops. Can't wait for next season.

Rhode Island is very good. OAK also had offers from Cincinnati. Dayton, New Mexico and Temple.

I've been very critical of Dan's recruiting but OAK was an excellent get for the program.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)

Not to speak for Meister but Early did have a wvu offer at one time and I believe that is why Miester mentioned them. No one said wvu was beaten out or out recruited for him or OAK. The sooner John and Sam can read and comprehend they won't need to be in such a hurry to explain it to all the simple folk here.

John uses the word "was" much like fever.

Reactions: Herd1972
Rhode Island is very good. OAK also had offers from Cincinnati. Dayton, New Mexico and Temple.

Not that I follow the Rams too closely, what I have seen they have not been much since the Jim Herrick days. I didn't see Cincy,NM, and Dayton on the list from 24/7. If that's the case I'm not sure why he didn't head too Albuquerque or Dayton, a team who had a real sot at winning it all last year.

Tell us again what kind of successful year we had last year.

You did say this right?

"Yes. Winning regular season and conference records. A first round tournament win. Who knows what could have been. As been the case with Danny's teams, they play better as the season goes on. Nobody could say that we didn't play our best ball at the end by winning 5 of our last 6 games and 7 of last 9"

So you think 17-15 a great record? They were 7 point dogs going into La.Tech, most likely a loss.

here is the other guy from same source.

https://247sports.com/Player/David-Early-46047849/

I didn't use the word "Was" in the paragraph. Maybe you need your bi-focals on before you try to read.

your words.

isn't that the same logic when you morons, at another board, was trying to convince yourself why MU should be conference champs? De Facto Conference champs with a record of 17-15. I think you are more interested is having something to do in the afternoon, rather then having a successful program.

you probably shouldn't call anyone a moron. you forgetting what you type and being a wise ass is funny too. get your shit together if you are going to come in a thread rude and offensive.

Not that I follow the Rams too closely, what I have seen they have not been much since the Jim Herrick days. I didn't see Cincy,NM, and Dayton on the list from 24/7. If that's the case I'm not sure why he didn't head too Albuquerque or Dayton, a team who had a real sot at winning it all last year.
Not sure why OAK didn't seriously consider UD or UC but he did take OVs to New Mexico, Temple and South Florida.

About Rhode Island: They were 13-5 in the A-10 this year. Danny Hurley had them ranked inside the top 25 most of the year in 2017-18, when they were a 7 seed in the NCAA tournament and reached the second round. They also won 25 games in 2016-17 and beat Creighton in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

To think all this talk started on a post about a local white having a chance to play for his hometown D1 university... I could name a few local boys that didn’t turn many heads in high school but, you all would be tickled to death to say you saw while out to eat.... just sayin

A lot of people still don't get it.

David Early's offers:
Marshall, Duqeusne, Ohio, Robert Morris, & wvu

OAK's offers:
Marshall, Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, Drexel, ETSU, Evansville, George Mason, George Washington, New Mexico, Ohio, ODU, Penn State, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, USF, Temple, & VCU

But people seem to be upset with how tight our recruiting net is. This topic was being discussed on Old Fairfield during the season and I compared Marshall's net to a few other programs. wvu for instance is almost exactly like ours. They had...
4 WV players
4 border state players (2 OH, 1 KY, 1 PA)
3 transfers/JUCO (1 from Texas, 2 are foreign born players)
1 from Washington, & 1 from Wisconsin.

Marshall had...
2 WV players
6 border state players (3 VA, 2 OH, 1 KY)
2 transfers/JUCO (1 from Texas, 1 foreign born--Sustic)
2 foreign born players who were recruited
1 from GA

People think us having so many WV kids is a problem, but I'd argue we'd be better if we had twice as many. If Marshall was able to land a couple more WV kids; pick any two between Luke Frampton (Davidson), Chase Johnson (UF--Dayton), Elijah Cuffee (Liberty), Chase Harler (wvu), Jalen Bridges (wvu), Brandon Knapper (wvu), Karim Ezzedine (New Mexico--I think he might have graduated), & Tavian Dunn-Martin (Duquesne), how are we not better?

Isaac McNeely, 4* 2022 guard from Poca, already has offers from Davidson, Kansas State, Liberty, Marshall Robert Morris, wvu, & Xavier; with interest from Cincinnati, Indiana, Ohio State, & Virginia. Probably shouldn't recruit him either....?

Last edited:
you probably shouldn't call anyone a moron. you forgetting what you type and being a wise ass is funny too. get your shit together if you are going to come in a thread rude and offensive.

No I didn't forget. Just making inquires about some posters position that DD had a "Go" time. DD decided in Feb. he was going to win the Conf Championship and that's why they went 7-2 as if DD decided to turn on a switch. That switch was going to allow MU to fly through the Conf. Tourny according to some. I'm calling BS. No one can just flip a switch like some allude too. The only team in my lifetime I could see doing something like that is the 96-98 Bulls.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC

David Early's offers:
Marshall, Duqeusne, Ohio, Robert Morris, & wvu

OAK's offers:
Marshall, Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, Drexel, ETSU, Evansville, George Mason, George Washington, New Mexico, Ohio, ODU, Penn State, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, USF, Temple, & VCU

But people seem to be upset with how tight our recruiting net is. This topic was being discussed on Old Fairfield during the season and I compared Marshall's net to a few other programs. wvu for instance is almost exactly like ours. They had...
4 WV players
4 border state players (2 OH, 1 KY, 1 PA)
3 transfers/JUCO (1 from Texas, 2 are foreign born players)
1 from Washington, & 1 from Wisconsin.

Marshall had...
2 WV players
6 border state players (3 VA, 2 OH, 1 KY)
2 transfers/JUCO (1 from Texas, 1 foreign born--Sustic)
2 foreign born players who were recruited
1 from GA

People think us having so many WV kids is a problem, but I'd argue we'd be better if we had twice as more. If Marshall was able to land a couple more WV kids; pick any two between Luke Frampton (Davidson), Chase Johnson (UF--Dayton), Elijah Cuffee (Liberty), Chase Harler (wvu), Jalen Bridges (wvu), Brandon Knapper (wvu), Karim Ezzedine (New Mexico--I think he might have graduated), & Tavian Dunn-Martin (Duquesne), how are we not better?

Isaac McNeely, 4* 2022 guard from Poca, already has offers from Davidson, Kansas State, Liberty, Marshall Robert Morris, wvu, & Xavier; with interest from Cincinnati, Indiana, Ohio State, & Virginia. Probably shouldn't recruit him either....?

Sean, Sean, Sean......stop it! You are making Johns & Sam's head's hurt with that factual information! They need to be able to thump their lumpy chests and proclaim themselves the Masters of Opinion on this board! How are they gonna do that if you keep throwing facts & logic in their faces?? MoO's….yeah - that's Johns & Sammy alright... Holsteins of Brahma's? As Ernie used to type: "Pardon me for asking!"

Reactions: Elkview

People think us having so many WV kids is a problem, but I'd argue we'd be better if we had twice as many. If Marshall was able to land a couple more WV kids; pick any two between Luke Frampton (Davidson), Chase Johnson (UF--Dayton), Elijah Cuffee (Liberty), Chase Harler (wvu), Jalen Bridges (wvu), Brandon Knapper (wvu), Karim Ezzedine (New Mexico--I think he might have graduated), & Tavian Dunn-Martin (Duquesne), how are we not better?

A circular argument. "Wouldn't it be great if MU got its pick of every male baby born in WV 18 years ago, every year?" Yes, but we don't. Some are good enough to go to places like Davidson, Dayton, New Mexico, or WVU; or get offers from places like K-State, WVU, and Xavier; and maybe Cincy, Indiana, OSU, and UVa. We get the culls.

The fact that MU would be better IF it had WVU, et al, level players IT DOES NOT HAVE, is irrelevant as to why picking up OTHER players from WV is not a problem.

What it leads to is what MU basketball is. Trying to play Marshall's schedule with Concord's team.

A circular argument. "Wouldn't it be great if MU got its pick of every male baby born in WV 18 years ago, every year?" Yes, but we don't. Some are good enough to go to places like Davidson, Dayton, New Mexico, or WVU; or get offers from places like K-State, WVU, and Xavier; and maybe Cincy, Indiana, OSU, and UVa. We get the culls.

The fact that MU would be better IF it had WVU, et al, level players IT DOES NOT HAVE, is irrelevant as to why picking up OTHER players from WV is not a problem.

What it leads to is what MU basketball is. Trying to play Marshall's schedule with Concord's team.
You are going to be the old man not invited to the party when March rolls around in ‘21....

...You’re calling OAK a “cull”? I suppose you don’t believe Kinsey is a DI player either? Garbage....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT