ADVERTISEMENT

Herd signs Spring Valley star; 3rd member of 2020 class

Donnie did have Humphrey and Wilkerson returning. Fair point.

Dan had a decent amount of talent to work with when he got here as well but ran quite a bit off it off (Kareem Canty, Chris Thomas, etc). Ryan Taylor, Cheikh Sane, Austin Loop, Shawn Smith (who got hurt), Devince Boykins and JP Kambola were still around for the 14-15 season, though.
Canty had already burnt the bridge saying he was transferring and trashing everyone in the process then says, wait I want to stay and Dan didn't want the attitude which that was a hard decision but you don't want that cancer. Dan was really not left much

What I said was not sure why he would pass up solid - consistent programs like NM and Dayton to come here. I think its less about potential playing time elsewhere, then beating out bigger schools.
well you made it sound like it was a bad decision to attend marshall and bein the hoops program

As well pointed out by others above, not really. DD had a great 8 days. Two years ago. Nothing before, nothing since.

How long is this fan base going to embarrass itself with this "one time we made the tournament and won a game." meme? Sad.

Ah, so in your world, the 125-odd "mid-major" college coaches, plus the 125-odd lower than even that, but still Div I, college coaches, plus the how-many-ever better than the MWC Div II coaches (the MWC is hardly the top of Div II, far closer to the bottom) are being rottenly out-recruited by phys ed teachers from ridiculous small colleges in rural West Virginia.

What color is the sky in your world?
as being discussed Donnie was left talent, left after three years and scheulded cupcakes, Greg white won with local kids and did a good job out side of that who has won at marshall since Huck and gone to the ncaa. Lots of stigma against the WV kids

Reactions: herd2believe
Another problem I have with this coach. He exposes way too much internal workings to "locals". If someone does not work in the athletic dept. they have no business in University Politics.
sounds like you have a lot of problems....we have a football coach that is very average and you give him a pass....

Another problem I have with this coach. He exposes way too much internal workings to "locals". If someone does not work in the athletic dept. they have no business in University Politics.
my comment was what Mike Hamrick, the AD told me. Not some coach.
People will tell you things if you take the time to talk, call or email them.
Some of us actually speak to people and not just hide behind a computer screen name

As well pointed out by others above, not really. DD had a great 8 days. Two years ago. Nothing before, nothing since.

How long is this fan base going to embarrass itself with this "one time we made the tournament and won a game." meme? Sad.

Ah, so in your world, the 125-odd "mid-major" college coaches, plus the 125-odd lower than even that, but still Div I, college coaches, plus the how-many-ever better than the MWC Div II coaches (the MWC is hardly the top of Div II, far closer to the bottom) are being rottenly out-recruited by phys ed teachers from ridiculous small colleges in rural West Virginia.

What color is the sky in your world?
My sky is blue. But to your point about the 8 days: It's sort of like winning one conference c-ship in 10 years.

Reactions: Herdmeister
that was Hamrick's beef with him too. Mike himself tole me that
I had heard that as well and good for Mike! I had also been told that Donnie had a 20 win bonus in his contract and he was going to get to 20 if he had to beat the Pikeville's ,Rio Grande ( 3x) ,Lipscomb,WV Tech, Cumberland, Berea, Salem and Brescia's of the world in regular season games.But I blame the AD that let him get away with that more than Donnie himself. I get that coaches will always want to play people they can beat.

I had heard that as well and good for Mike! I had also been told that Donnie had a 20 win bonus in his contract and he was going to get to 20 if he had to beat the Pikeville's ,Rio Grande ( 3x) ,Lipscomb,WV Tech, Cumberland, Berea, Salem and Brescia's of the world in regular season games.But I blame the AD that let him get away with that more than Donnie himself. I get that coaches will always want to play people they can beat.
Obviously it was Kayo that allowed that. I believe that Donnie only worked one year for Hamrick

Reactions: The Real SamC
aGreg white won with local kids

Greg White never won a game that mattered.

That is an issue that a certain element of the MU fan base has. We have been left high and dry by many coaches in both major sports. So we look for the "local hero" who will "never leave us". Now, that worked to spectacular levels with BP. And it led to the hiring of GW, loser at Pikeville College of the Bunch Of Guys Hanging Around The Abandoned Coal Mine League, loser at Harvey High of the No Longer Needed WV Small College Conference. Seven long years of failure.

And it led to the hiring of DD.

Lots of stigma against the WV kids

And deservedly so.

The 2020-21 record will determine if Danny's recruiting has produced the right combination of talent to compete in Division I basketball. To speculate on it now is premature. Meredith has a good shooting touch from 3 point range, or so the write-ups say. Danny risks nothing in taking a chance on this kid. The other two recruits seems to be proven quantities.

That is an issue that a certain element of the MU fan base has. We have been left high and dry by many coaches in both major sports. So we look for the "local hero" who will "never leave us". Now, that worked to spectacular levels with BP. And it led to the hiring of GW, loser at Pikeville College of the Bunch Of Guys Hanging Around The Abandoned Coal Mine League, loser at Harvey High of the No Longer Needed WV Small College Conference. Seven long years of failure.

And deservedly so.
I find it interesting that you respond to my post but a board moderator brings White into the conversation and you decide to trash White as well a Dan. I stand by my OP that Dan was left a bunch of crap has rebuilt the program and won a freaking NCAA game. To trash White means you have an unrealistic expectation. Which is Marshall does not have the budget to go hire a big time coach to recruit the type of athlete you want to win. So to do so Dan recruits kids and develops them.

my comment was what Mike Hamrick, the AD told me. Not some coach.
People will tell you things if you take the time to talk, call or email them.
Some of us actually speak to people and not just hide behind a computer screen name

Although I’m one of the guys privy to things I likely should not be, I don’t think it’s right.

I agree that Dan is far too liberal with what he makes public regardless of how much time people spend talking, calling, or emailing him.

And deservedly so.

Just curious old man: You’ve witnessed Herd Basketball games for prob 60+ years. In your lifetime, name the Head coaches at MU that ever “won a game that mattered”, and who did they beat? And, just like your Thursday night bingo @ the Elks lodge, I’ll give you a free spot:
1. 2018 DD beats Wichita State for the school’s 1st ever win in the Dance.

Just curious old man: You’ve witnessed Herd Basketball games for prob 60+ years. In your lifetime, name the Head coaches at MU that ever “won a game that mattered”, and who did they beat? And, just like your Thursday night bingo @ the Elks lodge, I’ll give you a free spot:
1. 2018 DD beats Wichita State for the school’s 1st ever win in the Dance.
Im kinda of shocked that Dan wins an NCAA tourney game for the first time in the history of the school and the guy is still fighting for street cred with the fan base. Im surprised really. 'What surprises me more is other then a boring offense Doc is safe from this discussion. The football program has been very average with lack luster crowd support.

Im kinda of shocked that Dan wins an NCAA tourney game for the first time in the history of the school and the guy is still fighting for street cred with the fan base. Im surprised really. 'What surprises me more is other then a boring offense Doc is safe from this discussion. The football program has been very average with lack luster crowd support.
This is pretty inaccurate. If I had to guess I'd say 90% of the fan base loves Dan and 90% of the fan base wants Doc gone.

This is pretty inaccurate. If I had to guess I'd say 90% of the fan base loves Dan and 90% of the fan base wants Doc gone.
Yeah, not sure why he's feeling what he's feeling.

However, I will say that I don't think it's anywhere near 90/90. Football has more hardcore fans and a lot of them have a "meh" attitude about basketball, so you're not going to get anything from them either way--support or negativity. There are a few groups we tailgate around who think of basketball like I think of soccer; where it's cool if they win, but they can't develop any emotions about it either way.

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of people who want Doc gone and couldn't name 3 players on the basketball team.

Yeah, not sure why he's feeling what he's feeling.

However, I will say that I don't think it's anywhere near 90/90. Football has more hardcore fans and a lot of them have a "meh" attitude about basketball, so you're not going to get anything from them either way--support or negativity. There are a few groups we tailgate around who think of basketball like I think of soccer; where it's cool if they win, but they can't develop any emotions about it either way.

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of people who want Doc gone and couldn't name 3 players on the basketball team.
Oh yeah, 100% agree with this.

I should have clarified but I was thinking in my head that 90% of our hardcore football fan base wants Doc gone and 90% of our hardcore basketball fan base loves Dan.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Oh yeah, 100% agree with this.

I should have clarified but I was thinking in my head that 90% of our hardcore football fan base wants Doc gone and 90% of our hardcore basketball fan base loves Dan.
I can only speak for myself but I love Dan and have become wishy washy about Doc! If we play football this Fall, Doc needs to have big year with what we have returning, we need another C-USA crown and to beat or at least be competitive with the marquis home games with Pitt and BSU.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
To trash White means you have an unrealistic expectation.

It is not unrealistic to hire a young and aggressive coach who has a record of WINNING at lower levels. Instead we went for a guy just because he was an alumni, despite the fact he was a LOSER at Pikeville College and then a LOSER at Harvey High. I'm certain there were hundreds of SUCCESSFUL lower division coaches at similar small colleges who were WINNERS, who would have jumped at the chance to prove themselves at this level and then parlay that into a higher job.

And then not only did we hire this joker, we kept him for years after it became clear that this was not working. All because we cannot deal with the fact that a successful coach here is going to move on to better things (BD, DA). We want the local hero who will never leave us. It is a fantasy.

It is not unrealistic to hire a young and aggressive coach who has a record of WINNING at lower levels. Instead we went for a guy just because he was an alumni, despite the fact he was a LOSER at Pikeville College and then a LOSER at Harvey High. I'm certain there were hundreds of SUCCESSFUL lower division coaches at similar small colleges who were WINNERS, who would have jumped at the chance to prove themselves at this level and then parlay that into a higher job.

And then not only did we hire this joker, we kept him for years after it became clear that this was not working. All because we cannot deal with the fact that a successful coach here is going to move on to better things (BD, DA). We want the local hero who will never leave us. It is a fantasy.
I always thought what held Greg back was his lack of training under a big time ,master coach, he went for the head coaching jobs at a lower level at a young age rather than serving as a 3rd assistant under under a Bob Knight or Norm Stewart type. I know he served as an unpaid assistant under Harrick at UCLA for a year prior to his return to MU but one has to question what his duties were in that position, maybe bringing the doughnuts to the coach's meeting .But I wanted Greg to succeed and was giddy when he recruited Slay and Van Hoose But for whatever reason the results were not there!

Reactions: The Real SamC
I always thought what held Greg back was his lack of training under a big time ,master coach, he went for the head coaching jobs at a lower level at a young age rather than serving as a 3rd assistant under under a Bob Knight or Norm Stewart type. I know he served as an unpaid assistant under Harrick at UCLA for a year prior to his return to MU but one has to question what his duties were in that position, maybe bringing the doughnuts to the coach's meeting .But I wanted Greg to succeed and was giddy when he recruited Slay and Van Hoose But for whatever reason the results were not there!
I have always felt the same way

Sam! We have tried that direction! Do you even follow Marshall basketball? The problem those guys never stay long enough to really win. Remember Dana Altman, Billy Donovan, or Donnie Marshall? The average stay of those three was 2 yrs. You cant build a program in that short of time frame. Again, I don't think you have an understanding of Marshall athletics. I agree if you can hire a good up and coming coach that stays 4 to 6 years and leaves the next coach a strong foundation, Yes, I sign up but we cant get anyone to stay long enough to build a foudation

Last edited:
Yes, I sign up but we cant get anyone to stay long enough to build a foudation

And this means we should hire first a failed loser coach out of the small college ranks and then keep him for seven long years, because he is an alumni; and then a retired HS coach eligible for Social Security, because he is an alumni.

Nope. You hire proven winners and give them the tools to win and prove themselves at this level, and when they move up, you get another proven winner.

And this means we should hire first a failed loser coach out of the small college ranks and then keep him for seven long years, because he is an alumni; and then a retired HS coach eligible for Social Security, because he is an alumni.

Nope. You hire proven winners and give them the tools to win and prove themselves at this level, and when they move up, you get another proven winner.
I think Danny will retire in a couple of years anyway .....and A.W. Hamilton appears to be the unofficial "coach in waiting".

A.W. Hamilton? But, but, but he is also an alumnus! And, but,but, but he also played for the Herd! No WAY he will be successful at the DI level! I mean, Sam said so, and he’s never wrong.....

Seriously - To even his most ardent detractors, it would be nigh on impossible to deny that:
1. DD has righted the ship and provided positive leadership.
2. He has raised the profile of MU by winning on a consistent basis (currently 3 games out of #3 all-time wins in history)
3. Installed an uptempo offense that produced the #1 career scoring player in school history, while simultaneously producing the #5 scorer in school history - a feat possibly unequaled in college hoops history.
4. Recruited quality players in terms of character as well as ability at the G5 level.
5. Qualified his 2017-18 team for the NCAA tournament for the 1st time in 30 years.
6. Won a 1st round game to advance to the round of 32 for the 1st time in school history.
7. Brought excitement back to home games, encouraging attendance to a consistently positive number.
8. Representing the University with pride and being willing to sell our school as a quality place to get an education.
Shall I continue? Go Herd!!

Not so sure it will be AW.

Corny Jackson is very well thought of, too.
Yeah, I think there's a bunch of Marshall guys that are in the coaching ranks! Keats at NCSU, Brannon at Cincinnati, isn't Jeff Battle somewhere out west? I agree doesn't have to be A.W. and doesn't have to be a guy who's " one of us".

But we haven't done that recently in football. Plus, DD has pro experience as well.

AW will not come to MU. He is making nearly as much now at EKU. When he leaves there it will be for more than we can pay.
I know if Danny has any input, he will recommend Corny.. Dr Gilbert is a fan of his as well

AW will not come to MU. He is making nearly as much now at EKU. When he leaves there it will be for more than we can pay.
I know if Danny has any input, he will recommend Corny.. Dr Gilbert is a fan of his as well
~
I understand, but just curious why either of them (or even you HM) would recommend Corny......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT