ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Women outlast ULM 99-90; return home for 2

The girls basketball coaching hire is looking very good in early returns... They seem to be much improved.

Yesterday was the best the boys have looked all year. It's amazing how much easier basketball is when you play hard on both ends, rather than trying to score 85 while hoping the other team only scores 84.

Men travel tomorrow for Weds nite game @ ULM. Only SBC game that day; rest of conference plays regular Thurs/Sat schedule.

Watched the UL/App State game, they are better than a lot of folks think they might be; we'll have our hands full again, they have good height and some speed. If we can take on the road what we had at home Saturday, we should be good.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It's amazing how much easier basketball is when you play hard on both ends,
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Reactions: ThunderCat98
2 games in the books, and the men are down to 4 undefeateds. That will at least drop to 3 after Saturdays games.
On the women’s side, it’s already down to 2 (MU / JMU).

Both programs have a legit shot of making a top 4 seed, shooting them into the quarters in PCola in March……

Reactions: marshallisqbu
Women & men both 3-0! That may have never before happened in Herd history……

And let me add here:
Just watched both post game pressers.
Kim Caldwell is just on the money a good bball coach. She is taking that program into rare air, and I hope the Huntington community will continue to grow the home court advantage as this season progresses.

Dan D’Antoni is a class act. From the way he complements his players to the way he speaks about the program. This might turn out to be one of his best seasons yet. I trust The Faithful to keep coming out to support these kids.

Last edited:
I've watched alot of mbb, and today may have been a first in a long, long time. Normally, when MU gets down by double digits they fold the tent and are ready to go home. Today, they got down early but battled backed to within 3 at halftime. Came out to start the 2nd half and again went down by dbl digits. In my mind this game was over, but again they battled back and won the game. Kudos to the Herd men.

I've watched alot of mbb, and today may have been a first in a long, long time. Normally, when MU gets down by double digits they fold the tent and are ready to go home. Today, they got down early but battled backed to within 3 at halftime. Came out to start the 2nd half and again went down by dbl digits. In my mind this game was over, but again they battled back and won the game. Kudos to the Herd men.
this team is different. They battle hard. They may end up the season with a average w-l record but they have some fight in them for sure.

does anyone know who the womens teamare recruitingfor 2025 season? Can not find any info on high school or portal.

2 games in the books, and the men are down to 4 undefeateds. That will at least drop to 3 after Saturdays games.
On the women’s side, it’s already down to 2 (MU / JMU).

Both programs have a legit shot of making a top 4 seed, shooting them into the quarters in PCola in March……
Dude, what the hell?

Three conference games in and you are already talking about March and byes.

How about this set of scraps of a D1 roster with a coach who is coaching for a hobby, play the whole season first?
They're 8-8, haven't beaten anyone of note, and those they have beat, are near the bottom of the conference.

Did I hear that MU was up 22 and somehow narrowly blew that lead?
That's the same stupid "oh gosh darn, how exciting even if we lose" BS basketball we have come to expect from Dan.

Why are they allowing themselves to be down to begin with?

I went to the women's game on Saturday, the first women's game Ive been to since I was a student at MU... I have to say, they play a very entertaining brand of basketball. Desperately need a big girl (or two) for next year so they dont get out rebounded so badly, but they play fast and can really shoot it.

Dude, what the hell?

What would you have me do? Join the eyore chorus and trash Dan & the team when we win, and crucify him & them when we lose?
I would rather celebrate being able to watch them compete. They are entertaining to watch. Obina is having a season. Martin is, as Danny says, a warrior. Connor is getting more comfortable at pg, and it’s obvious that that opens up Kam for shooting opportunities. Kevon is getting more comfortable in the system & steadies them on the floor. Getting production from Wyatt, Nutter & Pruett. Dan said today in his presser that Cam Crawford is still trying to earn pt, but has some work left to do to earn pt.
Bottom line: Huntington loves to support Herd basketball. Marshall is known as a football school today, but that hasn’t always been the case. For most of the 20th century, basketball was markedly more popular than football.

As this team keeps winning, you will see the attendance continue to improve. The double header with the women’s game on Feb 3rd might see a record crowd for the gals & a strong number for the guys. All Dan asks is that the fans show up & support, because the team is doing its best to win.

Dude, what the hell?

How about this set of scraps of a D1 roster with a coach who is coaching for a hobby, play the whole season first?
They're 8-8, haven't beaten anyone of note, and those they have beat, are near the bottom of the conference.

Did I hear that MU was up 22 and somehow narrowly blew that lead?
That's the same stupid "oh gosh darn, how exciting even if we lose" BS basketball we have come to expect from Dan.

Ridiculous post from an alleged Marshall fan on a Marshall sports message board.

What would you have me do? Join the eyore chorus and trash Dan & the team when we win, and crucify him & them when we lose?
I would rather celebrate being able to watch them compete. They are entertaining to watch. Obina is having a season. Martin is, as Danny says, a warrior. Connor is getting more comfortable at pg, and it’s obvious that that opens up Kam for shooting opportunities. Kevon is getting more comfortable in the system & steadies them on the floor. Getting production from Wyatt, Nutter & Pruett. Dan said today in his presser that Cam Crawford is still trying to earn pt, but has some work left to do to earn pt.
Bottom line: Huntington loves to support Herd basketball. Marshall is known as a football school today, but that hasn’t always been the case. For most of the 20th century, basketball was markedly more popular than football.

As this team keeps winning, you will see the attendance continue to improve. The double header with the women’s game on Feb 3rd might see a record crowd for the gals & a strong number for the guys. All Dan asks is that the fans show up & support, because the team is doing its best to win.

Not saying you should trash the team when they win, this isn't Doc.
I'm saying that the team has gone 3-0 and because of that, you shouldn't be thinking about March and post-season play, when the team really hasn't shown they are even capable of making the post season.

Plenty on here don't even think Dan should have a job, and somehow a 3-0 start is going to change that?

If MU loses, yeah, they should probably get a bit of a thrashing, at least Dan should, considering he has demanded he stay put, but can hopefully take the heat.

Marshall, so known for basketball and support, that Dan's reasoning for it's lack of success were the facilities, and proposed a multi-million dollar arena 🙄
Basketball support, so much so that MU touts a 3rd/4th pay to play tournament in order to win...what?

Not saying you should trash the team when they win, this isn't Doc.
I'm saying that the team has gone 3-0 and because of that, you shouldn't be thinking about March and post-season play, when the team really hasn't shown they are even capable of making the post season.

Plenty on here don't even think Dan should have a job, and somehow a 3-0 start is going to change that?

If MU loses, yeah, they should probably get a bit of a thrashing, at least Dan should, considering he has demanded he stay put, but can hopefully take the heat.

Marshall, so known for basketball and support, that Dan's reasoning for it's lack of success were the facilities, and proposed a multi-million dollar arena 🙄
Basketball support, so much so that MU touts a 3rd/4th pay to play tournament in order to win...what?
I understand. I have been on & off the Dan bandwagon the last couple of years. The Gullickson reno was a Godsend, provided by a donation from the Skaggs family. Now the men (& I assume women?) have a dedicated space with enough baskets to work with.
You’re right - we should win a bunch of games in this league, this season with the roster Dan has assembled. I prefer to root for them and stay optimistic.

Caldwell will have her team rolling once she gets 2-3 recruiting classes in. I don't follow womens b'ball but she is making it more interesting for sure. Hope we can keep her for 5-6 years.

Caldwell will have her team rolling once she gets 2-3 recruiting classes in. I don't follow womens b'ball but she is making it more interesting for sure. Hope we can keep her for 5-6 years.
After what I saw on Saturday I would have to agree... If our girls could have handed jerseys to Arkansas State's two big girls, we would be really good. Our guards smoked there's in every facet of basketball, the only reason it was relatively close was because ASU got 3-4 shots every possession it seemed like.

After what I saw on Saturday I would have to agree... If our girls could have handed jerseys to Arkansas State's two big girls, we would be really good. Our guards smoked there's in every facet of basketball, the only reason it was relatively close was because ASU got 3-4 shots every possession it seemed like.
a couple of legitimate bigs is all that we are missing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT