ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Women outlast ULM 99-90; return home for 2

Invest your resources in programs that are successful and they will bring in revenue. Think of the revenue MBB could generate if MU would hire a good head basketball coach and the program was successful? I think paying Dan $750,000 per year is a waste and we can do better if we hire a real college coach and not a high school coach.
Pretty sure Dan raised most of the money for his charter flights. In fact, I think that was one of the biggest disagreements him and Hammy had. Hammy wanted all money going into a general fund and he would decide how to disburse (football), Dan/Mike had individuals willing to contribute, but only to men's basketball.

And yes, basketball did charter some flights under Hammy, but not all of them like they do now.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
This is not true. The cutoff period is about 300 miles for driving or about 4 hours for all sports.

Men’s basketball would travel by bus to WKU. Even football drove to WKU, I believe we flew to JMU last year but in the past for some reason but again we have hundreds of pounds of equipment and about 7 times as many people to travel with, but Marshall is not trying to be cheap when it comes to women’s basketball. It makes no sense when it’s that close to charter a plane for a 30 minute plane ride. I’m sure it would be nice but this is not a women’s vs mens issue. They are also chartering on brand new custom Marshall bus. I personally wish they could fly and they deserve to have the best, but this is very common in all sports with close games.
I think it's just the point of it all. Dan whined about busing and not having a practice facility and such. Now he has all that he wanted, air travel, and we suck as a program.
It's on him. His excuses and spin are exhausting

So....let me see if I get this straight....

Remove money from a program that makes money
Give that money to a program that doesnt make money

Then

Expect both programs to flourish equally?

<Perkins 2 hrs later>

"Forgive me Father John Marshall, for I have sinned...I...I...I said a Marshall program doesn't make money, thus, isn't as good as the others. I have betrayed you and sinned against my fandom..."

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
This is not true. The cutoff period is about 300 miles for driving or about 4 hours for all sports.

Men’s basketball would travel by bus to WKU. Even football drove to WKU, I believe we flew to JMU last year but in the past for some reason but again we have hundreds of pounds of equipment and about 7 times as many people to travel with, but Marshall is not trying to be cheap when it comes to women’s basketball. It makes no sense when it’s that close to charter a plane for a 30 minute plane ride. I’m sure it would be nice but this is not a women’s vs mens issue. They are also chartering on brand new custom Marshall bus. I personally wish they could fly and they deserve to have the best, but this is very common in all sports with close games.

Per google it is a 4 hours and 26 minutes drive from MU to JMU and probably longer on a bus. The mileage is 286 miles. My question is, did MU fly Dan to JMU and back? If we did fly Dan for the JMU game we should be flying Kim.

It appears MU has an excellent women's coach and we should be supporting her to keep her at MU. It appears she is turning the program around. I wouldn't be surprise to see the women start outdrawing the men in the current circumstances. If message board traffic is any indication; then The Herd Faithful are more in interested in Kim than Dan. If Dan retires or is let go, I am sure the new men's coach will generate excitement in the program. Until Dan leaves we need to put more resources behind Kim even if we have to reduce Dan's budget. We don't have to worry about Dan, no other college is interested in hiring him. Kim on the other hand will become a hot property.

This not a women's vs men's issue. It is a good coach vs a bad coach issue.

I think it's just the point of it all. Dan whined about busing and not having a practice facility and such. Now he has all that he wanted, air travel, and we suck as a program.
It's on him. His excuses and spin are exhausting

And he raised the money, himself, for the charters.

Title 9 kind of. Does not matter who makes money. All sports should be treated equally. For as long as college athletics existed, the money-making sports paid for the others.

And pretty sure they are flying (charter?) to the longer away games, such as this Saturday to Statesboro….
If the game had been a Thursday game instead of Wednesday, I suppose they would have caught a flight to Georgia…

Per google it is a 4 hours and 26 minutes drive from MU to JMU and probably longer on a bus. The mileage is 286 miles. My question is, did MU fly Dan to JMU and back? If we did fly Dan for the JMU game we should be flying Kim.

It appears MU has an excellent women's coach and we should be supporting her to keep her at MU. It appears she is turning the program around. I wouldn't be surprise to see the women start outdrawing the men in the current circumstances. If message board traffic is any indication; then The Herd Faithful are more in interested in Kim than Dan. If Dan retires or is let go, I am sure the new men's coach will generate excitement in the program. Until Dan leaves we need to put more resources behind Kim even if we have to reduce Dan's budget. We don't have to worry about Dan, no other college is interested in hiring him. Kim on the other hand will become a hot property.

This not a women's vs men's issue. It is a good coach vs a bad coach issue.
Dannys team flew to JMU because he flew to ODU first. Which is a 7 hour drive and that plane has to come back to Huntington regardless and they add just add the trip for an extra stop for a little more.

This would be the same if Coach Kim had to fly to Georgia southern first then to JMU, they would have flown home from JMU. Another reason is the Wednesday time frame. Since we play a day earlier, it makes sense to travel back home and not be in a hotel from Wednesday to Saturday and just fly out Friday so they can also attend class.

Also side note not trying to be rude in the first messsage didn’t attend for it to come out that way if you thought that. But each circumstance is a little different but for 95% of the time they are both flying to and from.
And pretty sure they are flying (charter?) to the longer away games, such as this Saturday to Statesboro….
If the game had been a Thursday game instead of Wednesday, I suppose they would have caught a flight to Georgia…
Yes they all flights that they fly for men’s and women’s basketball is chartered. They get a larger one for the sunbelt tournament for more personnel inside the department. They also fly separately because of seeding and the risk of one getting eliminated before the other.

Doesnt really matter if Mike did it. MIke did it for Dan. Dan got the money for his team to have charter flights. And you want that money taken and given to another team?
You don't think the women deserve it? Based on the current body of work, they deserve it more.
But of course no one is gonna take money from the men and give to the women.

Reactions: LynnSept8
We Herd fans take the cake! Here we have a minor sport that is being elevated by a 1st year HC, making quite a statement and our discussion devolves into sniping at each other and making our fan base look silly.
I hope for our rematch with JMU next weekend (doubleheader w/ the men; W @ 1 M @ 4) Huntington packs the Cam. These ladies deserve it……

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Hell, I'd be pissed if I was big donor to football or men's b'ball. Talk about not getting your monies worth. Lol!

• Haha
You don't think the women deserve it? Based on the current body of work, they deserve it more.
But of course no one is gonna take money from the men and give to the women.

They would deserve it if of was money ear marked for them as this money apparently was for the men’s team.

Certainly. That's obvious. At this point, the men seem to need all the help they can get; money or otherwise.

10-11, 5-3 in conference play after losing our all time leading scorer to graduation, and two players to the SEC. And still competing more often than not.

The bashing of the b-ball program by everyone is a pathetic joke.

Good for Dan. I am sure Mike had a lot to do with it.

And I'm sure that if Mike was still a NBA head coach or was to get hired again as another HC in the League, the MU Men's Basketball spigot would be "gushing' instead of "trickling" as it is currently, and Danny and his team would be enjoying a few more "bells and whistles" that now remain on Coach's "Wish List"!!

And I'm sure that if Mike was still a NBA head coach or was to get hired again as another HC in the League, the MU Men's Basketball spigot would be "gushing' instead of "trickling" as it is currently, and Danny and his team would be enjoying a few more "bells and whistles" that now remain on Coach's "Wish List"!!
Mike is very well off. He's got a few nice homes. One at the Greenbrier.
He's supported the program well. Can't fault him at all.
Maybe Dan should work a little harder if he wants more goodies for the program.
Grassie did and does, seems to have worked for him.

Mike is very well off. He's got a few nice homes. One at the Greenbrier.
He's supported the program well. Can't fault him at all.
Maybe Dan should work a little harder if he wants more goodies for the program.
Grassie did and does, seems to have worked for him.
Maybe Coach Grassie CAN work "a little harder" not being age 76!

Right. Three straight bowl games and 24 win b-ball team last year sucks.
Why do you say things that make you look delusional... I dont think you are dumb guy, so why live like that?

Our football team finished last in its division and made a bowl game thanks to an FCS win that we had to fight tooth and nail for. We have serious QB questions next year and a coach on the hot seat... I hope Huff figures it out next season, but if not he will be gone and we will be in full-on rebuild.

And if you think basketball is in good shape you simply dont watch the games... Last year MU won 24 games, correct, by "scheduling wins" (that is a direct DD quote) and got bounced in the conference tournament by a team we had no business losing to. This year, we are a bad basketball team, 10-11 overall (8-11 against DI teams) and 5-3 in the 20th best league in the country... We lack talent and are led by a head coach who only remains in his position due to tenure apparently.

Men's soccer is phenomenal.... Women's basketball is in first place and looks like a possible tournament team... We are opening a new baseball stadium in less than two months... There is a lot of to be excited about when it comes to MU athletics. There's no reason to live in a fantasy land.

10-11, 5-3 in conference play after losing our all time leading scorer to graduation, and two players to the SEC. And still competing more often than not.

The bashing of the b-ball program by everyone is a pathetic joke.
How many years did it take and how many games did it take for TK to become the leading scorer....and how does that compare to players like John Taft,Russell Lee,George Stone,Skip Henderson?

Russ - you are so right!
Price, Walowac, Greer, Byrd, Slack, the Gold Dust twins, Stone, Lee. I am missing some more from those great 1950’s era teams…
I think time just shuffles them into irrelevance, unfortunately. I do believe MU has done a nice job of recognizing past greats in the concourse areas of the Cam.

Reactions: Russ Priddy
So, with a win tomorrow, new best ever conference start of 9-0 will be established.
Does anyone know the best ever conference start for the men?

Herd gals stroked 16 3’s in out scoring Ga So 106-95. Men handled USM easier than expected.
Also:
I’m sure it almost never happens, but it did today in the women’s game.
FG% 54.7 3pt FG% 55.2 !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Right. Three straight bowl games and 24 win b-ball team last year sucks.
Watered down schedule, no title = no accomplishment. We are one game over .500 against FBS teams in football over the last three years, losing record last year, boring offense.

I’m hopeful we are better in FB next season, but hope is a crappy business plan. I have no hope we can contend for a title in basketball.

You could paint "Marshall" on a steaming pile of dog s*** and Perkins would proclaim it the greatest thing ever.

Reality is our football team is, as best, mediocre. Truth is it is bad. The coach is a career assistant and is gone next year. We were warned, we, or that is to say the cabal, didn't listen and in fact shot the messenger. I really have no faith in the cabal that hired this joker to do better the next time. All serious MU fans are discussing the post CH era. No one believes he will do anything different next year.

Reality is our AD is a non-leader, living off the momentum built up. His continuous mistakes and acceptance of mediocrity will eventually bring that to a halt. We need a leader who is willing to make the hard decisions that have to be made in this era of NIL (pay), transfer portals (unlimited free agency) and mega-conferences (ESPN's evil system of one winner and 130 losers). We don't have a leader.

Reality is our basketball team is bad. A bunch of non-D1 level players coached by a lifetime HS coach. The record looks better than it is because the SBC is one of the bottom conferences. Half of the teams do not try and do not care. We, based on our history and commitment, should be in the top 4 or 5 in this bad league, every year. We will bounce about, winning one, losing one, whatever. A third of the seats in the arena are tarped off, unsellable. This is a token effort.

Reality is, and this is hard to hear, is that yes, the WBB story is nice. Title IX makes the university have women's sports and if you are going to do it, you might as well be good at it. But it doesn't pay the freight. Outside of a handful of programs, women's basketball is a money losing deal. Why? Because Title IX. There are enough men good at basketball to staff hundreds and hundreds of teams. D1, D2, NAIA, JuCos, etc. Thousands of men. There are enough women to staff maybe 30 programs, but we have to have a women's team to match every men's team. If you have ESPN+, watch some. Not just Marshall, pick a sample of random games and watch. After the very top level, you see fundamental mistakes and lack of skill that was corrected in middle school for the boys. This is why you see, even in the major conferences, 50 and 60 point blow outs, in-conference. Because if the best male basketball player is a "100", then the 100th best is a "95" and the 1000th best is an "85". If the best female basketball player is a "100", then the 50th best is an "80" and the 200th best is a "50". The talent pool is so shallow you can see through it.

That is the reality. We need an AD who is a leader. A leader gets CH out of here, ASAP. A leader has HIS choice for the next guy, or at least a short list, in mind right now, and doesn't answer to a cabal of self-important, self-appointed men. A leader has DD announce his "retirement" RIGHT NOW, so we can sell out (well, sell out not counting the tarped over seats) for DD's last rodeo, and, he likewise has an idea of who he wants next.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
You could paint "Marshall" on a steaming pile of dog s*** and Perkins would proclaim it the greatest thing ever.

Reality is our football team is, as best, mediocre. Truth is it is bad. The coach is a career assistant and is gone next year. We were warned, we, or that is to say the cabal, didn't listen and in fact shot the messenger. I really have no faith in the cabal that hired this joker to do better the next time. All serious MU fans are discussing the post CH era. No one believes he will do anything different next year.

Reality is our AD is a non-leader, living off the momentum built up. His continuous mistakes and acceptance of mediocrity will eventually bring that to a halt. We need a leader who is willing to make the hard decisions that have to be made in this era of NIL (pay), transfer portals (unlimited free agency) and mega-conferences (ESPN's evil system of one winner and 130 losers). We don't have a leader.

Reality is our basketball team is bad. A bunch of non-D1 level players coached by a lifetime HS coach. The record looks better than it is because the SBC is one of the bottom conferences. Half of the teams do not try and do not care. We, based on our history and commitment, should be in the top 4 or 5 in this bad league, every year. We will bounce about, winning one, losing one, whatever. A third of the seats in the arena are tarped off, unsellable. This is a token effort.

Reality is, and this is hard to hear, is that yes, the WBB story is nice. Title IX makes the university have women's sports and if you are going to do it, you might as well be good at it. But it doesn't pay the freight. Outside of a handful of programs, women's basketball is a money losing deal. Why? Because Title IX. There are enough men good at basketball to staff hundreds and hundreds of teams. D1, D2, NAIA, JuCos, etc. Thousands of men. There are enough women to staff maybe 30 programs, but we have to have a women's team to match every men's team. If you have ESPN+, watch some. Not just Marshall, pick a sample of random games and watch. After the very top level, you see fundamental mistakes and lack of skill that was corrected in middle school for the boys. This is why you see, even in the major conferences, 50 and 60 point blow outs, in-conference. Because if the best male basketball player is a "100", then the 100th best is a "95" and the 1000th best is an "85". If the best female basketball player is a "100", then the 50th best is an "80" and the 200th best is a "50". The talent pool is so shallow you can see through it.

That is the reality. We need an AD who is a leader. A leader gets CH out of here, ASAP. A leader has HIS choice for the next guy, or at least a short list, in mind right now, and doesn't answer to a cabal of self-important, self-appointed men. A leader has DD announce his "retirement" RIGHT NOW, so we can sell out (well, sell out not counting the tarped over seats) for DD's last rodeo, and, he likewise has an idea of who he wants next.
As Ernie used to write:
Pardon me, but I think I’ll place my trust in Brad Smith. He’s a pretty smart cookie…..

As Ernie used to write:
Pardon me, but I think I’ll place my trust in Brad Smith. He’s a pretty smart cookie…..
You will get no argument from me, but all of the above were here when Brad Smith got here. If any university president spends an hour a week thinking about the athletic department, then he needs a better AD. It is something you delegate.

Brad Smith, depending on who wins governor (two of the four major candidates are 100% anti-Marshall, one is ambivalent just like his grandpappy was, one is a MU grad and on the BOG, but is currently in last place) he has a chance to transform MU into something that will truly be transformative for the state.

You will get no argument from me, but all of the above were here when Brad Smith got here. If any university president spends an hour a week thinking about the athletic department, then he needs a better AD. It is something you delegate.

Brad Smith, depending on who wins governor (two of the four major candidates are 100% anti-Marshall, one is ambivalent just like his grandpappy was, one is a MU grad and on the BOG, but is currently in last place) he has a chance to transform MU into something that will truly be transformative for the state.
Who?

If any university president spends an hour a week thinking about the athletic department, then he needs a better AD.
I disagree. For better or worse, the athletics face of a school is the main way those outside of campus form an impression of the institution. Academic achievements are very important, but you won’t find any message boards dedicated to them.
The advertising of Marshall is primarily through the Herd’s sports teams. For that reason, Brad Smith needs to be involved in an over arching way……..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT