ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Women outlast ULM 99-90; return home for 2

If any university president spends an hour a week thinking about the athletic department, then he needs a better AD.
Another dumb take. Does the CEO of large corporation not think about the "marketing dept" for 1 hour a week? How about "production"? "Research & Development" for an hour?? Yes, of course they do.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
So your bright idea to try and ignore anyone that makes you look stupid is to label them a troll and try to get others to take part? Have you not noticed that literally no one has agreed with you on what Raleigh has been kicking your ass about?
You have been called out by numerous posters on here over the years when you make outlandish claims that more often than not make you look ignorant. The one above is no different. Anyone that has any degree of interest in the athletic department at Marshall knows that at the very least, Brad spends multiple hours per week attending games - football, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's basketball, volleyball, etc. Do you honestly think he sits there watching and isn't "thinking about the athletic department"? His seats at the Henderson Center are right beside Spears. Fans and Donors are in his ear constantly at these contests, you don't think anything is ever said about the state of the programs they are watching? Athletics is a huge chunk of the budget at Marshall, only an idiot would think that the President would need to devote less than an hour per week on it. Your comment shows that you more than likely never had any type of role that involved supervision. I don't care how good the middle management is, if the boss has the mindset that they shouldn't have to focus on any part of the business, that boss won't be boss for long.
And just for good measure, Bob P absolutely knew about the Mops for Props agreement that was in place when he arrived. I personally know 2 players that were there during that time and were specifically taken care of with jobs during their Prop year - it is part of the reason they were able to attend Marshall. They talk very openly about it.

Why are you posting here? If you, like the WVU troll, believe that the only really successful era of MU sports was cheating, why have any pride at all? Why care? We are just a bunch of cheaters.

I, of course, agree with the NCAA, that 100% of the fault was on the incompetent compliance director, and am proud of the BP era. BP is a hero.

As to how much time BS spends second guessing the AD, I hope it about zero. AD is something you delegate. The fact that he goes to games is, of course, an irrelevancy. The job of a university president is, one, to fund raise and navigate the state government, and two, to administer the various degree programs. It is not to think about what play to run on third and long.

• Haha
Reactions: raleighherdfan
Why are you posting here? If you, like the WVU troll, believe that the only really successful era of MU sports was cheating, why have any pride at all? Why care? We are just a bunch of cheaters.

I, of course, agree with the NCAA, that 100% of the fault was on the incompetent compliance director, and am proud of the BP era. BP is a hero.

As to how much time BS spends second guessing the AD, I hope it about zero. AD is something you delegate. The fact that he goes to games is, of course, an irrelevancy. The job of a university president is, one, to fund raise and navigate the state government, and two, to administer the various degree programs. It is not to think about what play to run on third and long.
I enjoyed the success. I am just not naive. BP and Reynolds were/are extremely tight - this isn't a secret. Reynolds wasn't doing anything with the players (that Bob had a hand in bringing in) that Bob didn't know about.
As an aside, any grown man that labels a football coach as a hero is just weird.
So now you are changing your statement from "thinking about athletics" to "second guessing the AD". No one said the President was game planning or calling plays you moron. You can bet your ass he absolutely has an eye on the department and spends more than an hour a week thinking about athletics. If you think the President's job description is as simple as the two things you listed above - you are truly special. This is just another one of the things that you are wrong about - no one is shocked.

As has been said, athletics is an incredible marketing tool for most schools. Many times the first exposure a young person has to a school is watching the team play on tv. That impacts the bottom line eventually. It's proven applications to a school goes up when a team is playing on national tv for title etc.
You can bet Brad Smith knows this all too well and has his finger on the pulse of the AD.

Why do you have to name call people that express different opinions than you? That is WVU level. You should be better than that.

As to BP, the NCAA found differently. The testimony is on line and really not contradicted. Yes, BP knew about the deal. He was told by the incompetent compliance director there was no problem with it. The incompetent compliance director had never read the compliance manual.

THAT, and not the WVU version, is what the NCAA found. Which is why BP did not get a "show cause" order. I'm sorry WVU fans, and you, would like it to be different than that, but I cannot change what the NCAA found and ordered, and did not find and did not order.

Now the WVU troll will post yet another long diatribe that will be summed up as "NO!!!!!". Whatever. S/He is either a WVU fan, or a bored kid, or housewife,. No way s/he has any connection to MU.

As to to Smith, how much time do you think a PRESIDENT of a university actually spends thinks about the athletic department? I can tell you have never been in a position of responsibility. Leaders find good people who are subject matter experts and let them do their job.

MU's problem, it is becoming clear, is the AD isn't up to the job.

Why do you have to name call people that express different opinions than you? That is WVU level. You should be better than that.

As to BP, the NCAA found differently. The testimony is on line and really not contradicted. Yes, BP knew about the deal. He was told by the incompetent compliance director there was no problem with it. The incompetent compliance director had never read the compliance manual.

THAT, and not the WVU version, is what the NCAA found. Which is why BP did not get a "show cause" order. I'm sorry WVU fans, and you, would like it to be different than that, but I cannot change what the NCAA found and ordered, and did not find and did not order.

Now the WVU troll will post yet another long diatribe that will be summed up as "NO!!!!!". Whatever. S/He is either a WVU fan, or a bored kid, or housewife,. No way s/he has any connection to MU.

As to to Smith, how much time do you think a PRESIDENT of a university actually spends thinks about the athletic department? I can tell you have never been in a position of responsibility. Leaders find good people who are subject matter experts and let them do their job.

Good leaders certainly delegate but they don't turn a blind eye either. Especially knowing how little room for error we have in athletics - between keeping what fan base we have, or bleeding more due to bad decisions.

Who knew Bob was such an idiot? It certainly wasn't the guys that I know who were specifically told to keep their mouths shut about it while they were in school. And it wasn't the Compliance Director telling them and their families to keep it quiet. What the NCAA was able to prove or not prove doesn't really matter. Former players are not telling me a "WVU version" they have no reason to lie. Are you going to question my connection to MU now - that seems to be your last option when proven wrong again and again?
Ultimately I don't truly care about any of it. It happened, we got our wrist slapped, we went on our way. I'm just commenting because I actually know people involved with what went on and I believe what they have to say more than someone that calls a football coach a hero.
I think each President probably spends different amounts of time/energy on athletics. My guess is Gilbert spent less time than Smith. Most University Presidents are from the world of academia, Smith isn't. Smith behaves like a CEO. From what I know of Smith, and his background as a CEO, I can confidently say you are WRONG with your assumption. He isn't a micro-manager, but he is VERY involved with his team. Your simplistic view of finding SME's and never having to deal with anything is telling about how little you know about leadership. SME's handle the day-to-day BS allowing true leaders to focus on each area of the business (or University, in this case) individually and as a whole.
Add another claim ("I can tell you have never been in a position of responsibility") to your ever-growing list of things you are dead wrong about. It must suck to be wrong so often.

Sam, in all sincerity: Sometimes it’s better to cede the high ground and live to fight another day. Surely you are smart enough to realize we all love the school & its athletics programs intensely, else why would a person bother? We all come at it from different perspectives. Is this the hill you want to die on?

Brad Smith, depending on who wins governor (two of the four major candidates are 100% anti-Marshall, one is ambivalent just like his grandpappy was, one is a MU grad and on the BOG, but is currently in last place) he has a chance to transform MU into something that will truly be transformative for the state.
Phil Parlock should run, he is a big Marshall guy.

Yes, BP knew about the deal.
See. It's not that hard to not lie Sammy. He knew...which is the opposite of what you originally claimed.
No way s/he has any connection to MU
You just cant help yourself when it comes to lying. Try harder.
I can tell you have never been in a position of responsibility.
This one really makes me LOL.
Now the WVU troll will post yet another long diatribe
A sentence or two is a long diatribe for you. (Try not to get your feelings hurt). Appears I didn't need to do it. Herdfella roasted you perfectly.

Sam, in all sincerity: Sometimes it’s better to cede the high ground and live to fight another day. Surely you are smart enough to realize we all love the school & its athletics programs intensely, else why would a person bother? We all come at it from different perspectives. Is this the hill you want to die on?
As I said, I'm done responding to the WVU troll. Now "another" poster takes up the cause of supporting the WVU, and not the NCAA's, view of this long ago minor event. I'm done with him as well. I suspect they are one and the same anyway.

I do not bring up any of this. I try to post on the topics at hand, and get off-topic attacked by the WVU troll. It is not a "hill I want to die on". I will not post another word about the truth of the "mops for props" minor event, and the WVU troll will, within the week, take my next post and use it to, once again, attack. It, apparently, is all s/he has to do.

Now "another" poster takes up the cause of supporting the WVU, and not the NCAA's I suspect they are one and the same anyway.
It's not a WVU cause - what I wrote came straight from a couple of the players involved. You can put your head in the sand if you want, that's your prerogative - just keep in mind that you are doing the exact thing you accuse Perkins of doing.
Your suspicion about the other poster and I being the same is yet another thing that you are wrong about. The list just gets longer.

I will not post another word about the truth of the "mops for props" minor event, and the WVU troll will, within the week, take my next post and use it to, once again, attack. It, apparently, is all s/he has to do
Refrain from dumb, inane posts and no one will have to comment on them. This thread was just another.

You know what else is funny. YOU bringing up the mops for props in this thread after nothing was said about it. YOU once again introducing the subject. Try harder not to be an imbecile.

Awesome atmosphere tonight! Great student turnout, great music and game day production. Props to everyone involved….except we have to do something about the clock and scoreboard operators….holy cow, every game men and women’s there are multiple issues….football there are multiple timing issues…..we have to do upgrade that…..guys behind us actually were placing bets pregame on how many times the clock would screw up tonight….over/under was 4.5…..

Hopefully students show back up Saturday at 1:00. Give at least 2 hours….women have a big one vs James Madison!!

Awesome atmosphere tonight! Great student turnout, great music and game day production. Props to everyone involved….except we have to do something about the clock and scoreboard operators….holy cow, every game men and women’s there are multiple issues….football there are multiple timing issues…..we have to do upgrade that…..guys behind us actually were placing bets pregame on how many times the clock would screw up tonight….over/under was 4.5…..

Hopefully students show back up Saturday at 1:00. Give at least 2 hours….women have a big one vs James Madison!!
Scoreboard issues at the Joan have been a problem for years. Whoever is doing it should be replaced.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Back on topic:
Hoping for 2000+ at tonite’s game vs App. Saturday is going to be a sellout*, so the Cam will be rocking for both contests!
Will most of the sellout crowd leave after the women's game? They should. There has to be better things to do on a late Saturday afternoon, even in Huntington. Token effort.

For the first time ever, I’m more interested in watching the women more than the men.
Go Herd!
canadian what GIF by CBC

The first game I have watched this season and they are shitting the bed.
First timer this season also

First it’s women’s BB, only difference between high schoolers, college and WNBA is height… skill sets are nearly equal all around, but with that said, they really struggle with hitting short range wide open jumpers, didn’t see one girl dribble drive for a layup, bad passes as if they were feeling rushed.. coach should have called some early timeouts, just like Dan Dan should sometimes!!

All in all- boring to watch, hate they lost, and go win a conference championship!!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Consdiering our men's program is a shit storm and will be for the foreseeable future, might as well watch the women.

Will most of the sellout crowd leave after the women's game? They should. There has to be better things to do on a late Saturday afternoon, even in Huntington. Token effort.
It's interesting how Marshall calculates "sellouts." Clearly everybody that bought tickets didn't show up for the women's game. And I couldn't even watch the men's game. The lights were shining on those metal seat numbers so brightly that I was blinded by the glare. If 1/3 of the Cam hadn't already been tarped, I would guess that the arena would have been less than half full. If 5,711 is a sellout, my guess is there were maybe 4,500 butts in seats. How hard would it be to add up all the ticket scanner numbers and get a true attendance count.
And while I'm on a roll, what are those gray shirted "event staffers" supposed to be doing during the game. Surely they aren't moving people along. I quit counting the number of times that I had to yell at people standing at the railing above the lower bowl to move so I could see the action on the court.

That was a turd. I’m guessing they look good during other games but I tried to watch and immediately remembered why I don’t watch women’s basketball.
If the women had shaved their heads I would have sworn I was watching the men play. They were passing up 4 ft. shots to go for 3 pointers. And, that old mens bugaboo, no defense down low. Blows my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT