ADVERTISEMENT

If Huff is smart, win or lose Saturday, he’d resign

sluggo72

Silver Buffalo
Aug 31, 2006
For the good of his career. Currently he’s around 22-16 correct me if I am wrong please, next year he has to know it is a clown show at best. So let’s say he pulls out a .500 season so he’s 28-22. Big deal. Otoh if they go 2-10 ,a real possibility imo, he’s 24-26 or below .500.
So by resigning now he guaranteed a winning record. So now go get an NFL job with a playoff type team, somebody will hire him as Assistant HC , which is a nice title but in reality it’s a nothing burger

Stay with them for 3 yrs and now you can go get a power 5 HC job
You’d have a guy coming from the NFL, playoffs etc
A guy who has been a HC in college
A guy with a winning record in college
A guy who beat ND while st Marshall
A guy who beat Va Tech at Marshall
A guy who won a bowl game

Much easier route to go Probably earn as much or more than at MU
And it’s better than hanging around getting his brain beaten in next year

List the G5 head coaches who resigned and were then hired as NFL assistant head coaches.
It really doesn’t matter the title. You don’t think Mike Tomblin would hire Huff? But it’s a similar path Joe Moorhead took. He resigns from a FCS school to be OC at a power 5 school. Then leaves to go to the SEC as HC. No way he goes to the SEC as HC from Fordham

It really doesn’t matter the title. You don’t think Mike Tomblin would hire Huff? But it’s a similar path Joe Moorhead took. He resigns from a FCS school to be OC at a power 5 school. Then leaves to go to the SEC as HC. No way he goes to the SEC as HC from Fordham
So you said it worked in the past, but you couldn’t name a single time. Then, when asked to name one instance, you mention something completely different than the example you gave.

It’s fairly often that an FCS or G5 head coach resigns to take a coordinator position at a higher level (FBS or P5, respectively). I’ve never seen a single instance of what you claimed though, which is why I said it was absurd.

So you said it worked in the past, but you couldn’t name a single time. Then, when asked to name one instance, you mention something completely different than the example you gave.

It’s fairly often that an FCS or G5 head coach resigns to take a coordinator position at a higher level (FBS or P5, respectively). I’ve never seen a single instance of what you claimed though, which is why I said it was absurd.
Ok how about Bobby Ross? Case closed

For the good of his career. Currently he’s around 22-16 correct me if I am wrong please, next year he has to know it is a clown show at best. So let’s say he pulls out a .500 season so he’s 28-22. Big deal. Otoh if they go 2-10 ,a real possibility imo, he’s 24-26 or below .500.
So by resigning now he guaranteed a winning record. So now go get an NFL job with a playoff type team, somebody will hire him as Assistant HC , which is a nice title but in reality it’s a nothing burger

Stay with them for 3 yrs and now you can go get a power 5 HC job
You’d have a guy coming from the NFL, playoffs etc
A guy who has been a HC in college
A guy with a winning record in college
A guy who beat ND while st Marshall
A guy who beat Va Tech at Marshall
A guy who won a bowl game

Much easier route to go Probably earn as much or more than at MU
And it’s better than hanging around getting his brain beaten in next year
Ugggghh no. Not reality. Resign before his contract is up to go to the NFL to do what?

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Ugggghh no. Not reality. Resign before his contract is up to go to the NFL to do what?
Just because Huff got ahead of his skis in becoming a HFC, doesn't mean that he's a bad hire for other roles. In fact, he'll probably get a substantial raise wherever he latches on. And I suspect that Huff is a pretty good RB's coach.

Ok how about Bobby Ross? Case closed
Are you a liar on purpose or just this stupid?

1) Name when Ross was ever an NFL assistant head coach
2) Name when Ross went from a G5 head coach to an NFL assistant head coach

You can’t. So you just throw random bullshit out there, hope people see your post and think you got something right, then hope they don’t see the thread again.

Reactions: rvntx
Just because Huff got ahead of his skis in becoming a HFC, doesn't mean that he's a bad hire for other roles. In fact, he'll probably get a substantial raise wherever he latches on. And I suspect that Huff is a pretty good RB's coach.
I don't disagree that he could land another job. The Running back coach at Alabama makes $565,000

I don't agree with the original post that resigning would be a smart move. If he is going to go be a running back coach or position coach, then he can go do that anyway if it doesn't work out at Marshall, this year or next.

Heck, he could come back and win 8 or 9 games next year and get a contract extenion or land a bigger job. If it doesn;t work out then he might become an assistant somewhere. Like rifle stated, there seems to be no history of what the original poster stated of a G5 coach resigning and then landing in the NFL. That seems illogical.

Reactions: rvntx
- NO ONE walks away from $774K/year.
- There is no such thing as an "assistant head coach". You are either the head coach, or not. Yes, I know everybody uses the term. That doesn't make it real.
- No NFL team is hiring this loser. No one there cares that he upset a mediocre Notre Dame team or beat a horrid VPI team. Once.
- When (not if) we finally fire him, he goes back into the good ole boy system that is college coaching and is a position coach in the SEC or ACC, which is what he was put on earth to be.
- Dude is 40. He has been vastly overpaid, considering his skill set (or lack thereof) for 3 years, but that is not set up for life money. He needs a job.

So this loser will remain, suck out another $775K from the program, and, probably, hit the trail, bubbling up as an "assistant head coach" (assistant coach) position coach somewhere in the Sabanverse, never to be heard from again.

And we are back to Square One. Again. With a bigger mess to clean up than MS left behind.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
- There is no such thing as an "assistant head coach". You are either the head coach, or not. Yes, I know everybody uses the term. That doesn't make it real.
- No NFL team is hiring this loser. No one there cares that he upset a mediocre Notre Dame team or beat a horrid VPI team. Once.
- When (not if) we finally fire him, he goes back into the good ole boy system that is college coaching and is a position coach in the SEC or ACC, which is what he was put on earth to be.
- Dude is 40. He has been vastly overpaid, considering his skill set (or lack thereof) for 3 years, but that is not set up for life money. He needs a job.

So this loser will remain, suck out another $775K from the program, and, probably, hit the trail, bubbling up as an "assistant head coach" (assistant coach) position coach somewhere in the Sabanverse, never to be heard from again.

And we are back to Square One. Again. With a bigger mess to clean up than MS left behind.
I think you forget he has a pretty powerful agent

Fans would never do that. “Fans” may do that. But not actual Fans.
bill clinton shame GIF

That depends on what your definition of "is" is

Snyder had his issues but I don't think he left a mess. He was a decent recruiter and walked away from a bowl team. Barely a bowl team but a bowl team nonetheless.

Reactions: ohio herd
Snyder had his issues but I don't think he left a mess. He was a decent recruiter and walked away from a bowl team. Barely a bowl team but a bowl team nonetheless.

I would say that in the current college football landscape there is a high percentage change that any coach who is fired, or even those that leave for a better job, will leave a program in a mess.

It’s not their fault. Every program has a chance to be a mess at the end of a season even if a successful coach stays. The constant movement amongst rosters nationwide is the reason.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
That just hurts the program. There are other ways to express your frustration without withholding funds.
Such as???
The #1 reason why Snyder was axed WAS because funds were being withheld.

My BIL & SIL were avid fans, season ticket holders, all day tailgaters, etc. They found the experience so boring during Snyder's 3rd season that they quit and haven't been back, except for a very occasional game. There were a lot of their friends who did the same.

Such as???

My BIL & SIL were avid fans, season ticket holders, all day tailgaters, etc. They found the experience so boring during Snyder's 3rd season that they quit and haven't been back, except for a very occasional game. There were a lot of their friends who did the same.

So then. How was that something that worked. They got “bored”. Pulled money. Change was made and they still never came back?

How was that beneficial for the program??

So then. How was that something that worked. They got “bored”. Pulled money. Change was made and they still never came back?

It wasn't.
That's the point.
When you're not playing entertaining offense and not winning at a high level, you risk losing audience, permanently. You also risk losing donors, not being able to attract new fans or having any hope of inducing the current students into becoming avid fans.

But unless the money is threatened, there's the threat that Huff will lead the Herd down the same road as Snyder did.

And when are we going to see the "pro style, all gas" offense?

Last edited:
It’s not their fault.
Then whose fault is it?

MS was an abject failure. Inept. Unqualified. And he failed. Totally. And that failure was 100% his fault.

CH has, so far, been an abject failure. IMHO, because he is a career position coach well beyond his depth. And that is 100% his fault.

I know in your childish world they have shirts that read "Marshall" and that makes them the bestest evaaar. But they are failures.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.

That just hurts the program. There are other ways to express your frustration without withholding funds.
Not really. Money makes people listen. At the end of the day, D1 football is entertainment. Even more so now with D1 sports being about free agency. Money makes people listen. When it dries up they have to do something.

It is not a program. Especially now. It is entertainment. It is not win one for the gipper anymore. D1 football is entertainment. Sometimes thins have to get bad before they get better. The only real way the powers that be will undertand is to be hit in the wallet. It is no different that a product being made. How does it get better? Competition. I am not going to buy your product because your competitors is better. Marshall is fighting for entertainment dollars and people's time. Loyalty will only go so far, especially now with athletes being paid and coaches making big dollars. The way the AD, school President, BOG will understand is when their product can't sell and doesn't bring in money. Football is Marshall's cash cow. It has to be good or they will lose money. Or lose more than they do now.

People want to be entertained. They want excitment. If not, they will take their dollars somewhere else. They will spend their time somewhere else. I am almost watching it now out of obligation just like watching your child's Little League team who gets beat 20 to 2 every game. The only reason you watch is becuase it is your kid. I am about done doing that with Marshall. Thankfully the season will soon be over.

Such as???

Snyder was axed because even with his final season, he had shown almost no progress in improving the team. A .500 record was not enough to save his job after four losing seasons.

Not really. Money makes people listen. At the end of the day, D1 football is entertainment. Even more so now with D1 sports being about free agency. Money makes people listen. When it dries up they have to do something.
The marginal fan not showing up is money enough. We don't also need folks like Aaron, you, or me pulling our funds. When that occurs, we set the entire program even further backward than any coach could.

The marginal fan not showing up is money enough. We don't also need folks like Aaron, you, or me pulling our funds. When that occurs, we set the entire program even further backward than any coach could.
To be honest, I stopped giving money to sports scholarship funds. I am not helping pay for D1 scholarships anymore. For me, there are more worthy causes. Throw in the NIL deal and that helps solidify my decision. I will be a fan. Watch, buy clothing, go to a game when i can. But, not giving to scholarship funds anymore. Plus, the more I learn how higher education is such a rip off, that adds to it. They can write off a scholarship. it cost them nothing. These guys are basically playing a game.

To be honest, I stopped giving money to sports scholarship funds. I am not helping pay for D1 scholarships anymore. For me, there are more worthy causes. Throw in the NIL deal and that helps solidify my decision. I will be a fan. Watch, buy clothing, go to a game when i can. But, not giving to scholarship funds anymore. Plus, the more I learn how higher education is such a rip off, that adds to it. They can write off a scholarship. it cost them nothing. These guys are basically playing a game.
I will say, specific to Marshall, that we have found in Brad Smith a leader who will reshape the focus & impact the college experience/career foundational springboard for students for the next 3 generations, minimum. “Marshall for all; Marshall forever has huge potential! So, give your money to the academic side, now more than ever…..

Poeple, especially born and raised in Huntington types, forget how special Marshall athletics is. There are lots of schools much larger that play at one of the lower levels in athletics. Some do not have athletics at all. Marshall athletics exists at the level that it does because, over generations, alumni and people around this city decided that Marshall should have this. They built this program with $$ over many decades.

The world is changing. For MU athletics to survive at this level, MU must continue to foster the relationship it has always had with the fan base.

CS in his stubbornness in refusing to fire CH is endangering that relationship. Another year of failure, which is certain next year, and yet more damage will be done. Eventually enough fans will decide its just not worth it anymore and drift away, and MU is playing WV State and Concord in the Mountain East.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.

• Love
Only agreeing that “resigning” (and getting his buyout) is the big brain play for him. He won’t get an NFL, but he could get a good position job and somewhat preserve his resume.

If he’s allowed to stay, he’s going to get fired.

Only agreeing that “resigning” (and getting his buyout) is the big brain play for him. He won’t get an NFL, but he could get a good position job and somewhat preserve his resume.

If he’s allowed to stay, he’s going to get fired.
No, it isn't the "big brain play." He could go 0-12 next year, and it won't impact his ability to get a good position job somewhere else.

I can give you countless examples of good position coaches who failed at head coaching roles and were then hired back in a good position coaching role. Hell, one of my good friends who I coached with for a couple of years was a position coach at Notre Dame, took an FCS head coaching role, got fired from there due to wins/losses, and immediately got hired to an NFL position coaching job (which is as good or better than teh same coaching position he had at Notre Dame).

Snyder was axed because even with his final season, he had shown almost no progress in improving the team. A .500 record was not enough to save his job after four losing seasons.
By that metric, then Huff should be let go. By his own admission, he did not inherit a rebuilding program. 7-5, 8-4* and either 6-6 or 5-7 don't demonstrate improvement from 7-3.

*2 FCS opponents.

Last edited:
No, it isn't the "big brain play." He could go 0-12 next year, and it won't impact his ability to get a good position job somewhere else.

I can give you countless examples of good position coaches who failed at head coaching roles and were then hired back in a good position coaching role. Hell, one of my good friends who I coached with for a couple of years was a position coach at Notre Dame, took an FCS head coaching role, got fired from there due to wins/losses, and immediately got hired to an NFL position coaching job (which is as good or better than teh same coaching position he had at Notre Dame).
I don’t disagree with that, but he’s not getting another head coaching job. I don’t think he is regardless, but taking another job could salvage the optics of what this is going to eventually look like to other schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT