ADVERTISEMENT

Is spears fixing things that don’t need fixed?? Fires track coach

I will say: not unusual for an AD to want to put his stamp on the entire AD…..
But there has to be a why. Spears can’t put his stamp on things that matter, FB and BB so he puts it on things that just mess w peoples lives so he can act like he’s doing something. This was just mean spirited

Reactions: ru4_mu2
But there has to be a why. Spears can’t put his stamp on things that matter, FB and BB so he puts it on things that just mess w peoples lives so he can act like he’s doing something. This was just mean spirited
Were we given a “why” when Wags was let go?

After decades of ho hum AD's who mostly got complacent; Spears is taking action and trying to move the overall program forward. Coaches being at one school for 30 years is almost unheard of these days. I wish Small well and thank him. The track will always bear his name.

After decades of ho hum AD's who mostly got complacent; Spears is taking action and trying to move the overall program forward. Coaches being at one school for 30 years is almost unheard of these days. I wish Small well and thank him. The track will always bear his name.
Spears is just being cheap. If he allowed him to retire, say next year, he would have had to have some retirement party and parting gifts etc . This way he doesnt get that, and the University doesnt get to bring back his former players, many of whom gave a lot of money.
As a retired coach, they were eligible for lift time tickets to FB and BB, now Spears does not have to fund that.
What a joke of a man.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Spears is just being cheap. If he allowed him to retire, say next year, he would have had to have some retirement party and parting gifts etc . This way he doesnt get that, and the University doesnt get to bring back his former players, many of whom gave a lot of money.
As a retired coach, they were eligible for lift time tickets to FB and BB, now Spears does not have to fund that.
What a joke of a man.
We can only assume what happened. I doubt Spears would act alone without notifying Old Main of his intentions. I don't think any AD would have that much autonomy, to be honest. I wish Small well.

We can only assume what happened. I doubt Spears would act alone without notifying Old Main of his intentions. I don't think any AD would have that much autonomy, to be honest. I wish Small well.
I am sure the AD has this authority or why be AD? Maybe he runs it by ole Main so they can get the paper work ready, but this is Spears . The track team is well represented on the Champions Advisory board, I wonder how they feel about all of this?

I am sure the AD has this authority or why be AD? Maybe he runs it by ole Main so they can get the paper work ready, but this is Spears . The track team is well represented on the Champions Advisory board, I wonder how they feel about all of this?
Certainly a valid concern.

if he didnt and allowed him to retire say in a year, what would change at MU? nothing.
Actually Small is a state employee. With him being at MU for almost 30 years, he could have retired years ago with full pension. He'll still get that, as he deserves.

That said, another poster on another board is saying Small retired, that it was known for months by just a few within the department. We'll see how it shakes out. Hope that is indeed correct.

Last edited:
Actually Small is a state employee. With him being at MU for almost 30 years, he could have retired years ago with full pension. He'll still get that, as he deserves.

That said, another poster on another board is saying Small retired, that it was known for months by just a few within the department. We'll see how it shakes out. Hope that is indeed correct.
actually employees at MU are not in the state pension plan, they participate in TIAA/CREF
so we are clear, he was fired

To be accurate I believe Marshall had four qualify for the regional qualifier. Did any advance to the NCAA championships?
I give MU a lot of credit getting four to the qualifier for the OUTDOOR championship.
Also, the pension plan went away years ago except for folks that were vested.

To be accurate I believe Marshall had four qualify for the regional qualifier. Did any advance to the NCAA championships?
I give MU a lot of credit getting four to the qualifier for the OUTDOOR championship.
Also, the pension plan went away years ago except for folks that were vested.
There is the "old" state pension and the new plan - which is a contribution plan, much like a typical 401K but for state employees. My wife is retiring and on the old plan. I have a daughter who teaches and she is on the "new" plan - FWIW.

why is that relevant? only little people kick a 30 yr employee to the curb.
Ian Bohen Ryan GIF by Yellowstone

Without knowing exactly why the decision was made nobody really has a valid opinion on either side of this. I doubt he replaced the coach just for the heck of it. If he wasn’t meeting expectations I’m sure there was a discussion about that.

Expectations, what expectations. The program has never really been relevant and the training facilities have been a joke or non existent.
The track around the practice field is ok but that’s not a great recruiting chip.
I wouldn’t know sluggo or Small if they walked in my house. 😉

Reactions: sluggo72
Without knowing exactly why the decision was made nobody really has a valid opinion on either side of this. I doubt he replaced the coach just for the heck of it. If he wasn’t meeting expectations I’m sure there was a discussion about that.
yet thats what he did. He has a buddy in mind for the new coach

yet thats what he did. He has a buddy in mind for the new coach
Are you coach small? Who gives a shit. The guy was employed for thirty years being mediocre at best. We can all only hope to get that kind of work. Seriously it’s ok to make a change in a sport like track and cross country where we have no expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT