ADVERTISEMENT

Landon Calls For Doc To Step Down

I'm not even setting a high bar. We could have had Frampton who is 45 minutes down the road and that guard from Wright state. I'm not expecting Dan to be bringing in 4 and 5 star guys, but I do think he could find better guys than a lot of these Euros. Peneva is the only one that really worked out. The rest aren't anything special and could be replaced.

Don't take this personal, but I can't stand the sentiment some fans have of this basketball program that we shouldn't expect good players or championship results.

Dan's overall out of HS recruiting has been underwhelming. If Elmore never decides to leave his first school this team never gets out of the basement.

He could get better players. And for crying out loud get these dudes in the weight room. Aside from West we have seniors that look like their from a Sally Struthers commercial.
If Elmore never decides to transfer....but he did. Guys transfer all the time. Moreso now than when Elmore did. And we reaped the benefit when he got here. Was there ever any more exciting bball since Huck for those 3.5 years?

I'm not even setting a high bar. We could have had Frampton who is 45 minutes down the road and that guard from Wright state. I'm not expecting Dan to be bringing in 4 and 5 star guys, but I do think he could find better guys than a lot of these Euros. Peneva is the only one that really worked out. The rest aren't anything special and could be replaced.

Don't take this personal, but I can't stand the sentiment some fans have of this basketball program that we shouldn't expect good players or championship results.

Dan's overall out of HS recruiting has been underwhelming. If Elmore never decides to leave his first school this team never gets out of the basement.

He could get better players. And for crying out loud get these dudes in the weight room. Aside from West we have seniors that look like their from a Sally Struthers commercial.
No arguments about the weight room. I hear ya, man. Frustrating.

But about the recruiting thing, I know what you’re saying about some of them. Frampton & Holden would have been knockouts here. I hate not having them. That pisses me off. But you heard Matt Campbell mention 4* talent vs 4* culture when Iowa State played Texas? Don’t think for a second that I don’t wish we had a Kane & a Whiteside to go along with Kelly, Elmore, Penava, & Kinsey. But I also know that you’re going to occasionally catch a Coleman, Pittman, & Canty when you play with fire like that. It’s a tradeoff I’m willing to accept, but can understand why it frustrates people.

Reactions: Herdmeister
If Elmore never decides to transfer....but he did. Guys transfer all the time. Moreso now than when Elmore did. And we reaped the benefit when he got here. Was there ever any more exciting bball since Huck for those 3.5 years?
You missed the point. Dan's out of high school recruiting has left some to be desired.

So all you care about is "exciting" play? So if the football team was putting up 50+ points a game and still falling short at the end of the season you would have no issue then?

You missed the point. Dan's out of high school recruiting has left some to be desired.

So all you care about is "exciting" play? So if the football team was putting up 50+ points a game and still falling short at the end of the season you would have no issue then?
If they are putting up 50 points a game they're not going to lose too many games. But I'd like to watch it. If they do that and come up short, it means they got beat by a better team and I'm ok with that. On the other hand, putting up 0 to 10 points a game and losing doesn't cut the mustard in my nook.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Oh... I see... propaganda only comes out of the basketball office - NEVER, EVER, EVER out of the Shewey Building.

How many times have you ever heard a head coach at Marshall University (any sport) openly say another sport doesn’t deserve something or that the baseball stadium is a “waste of money?”

How many times have you seen a head coach at Marshall University have the chance to acknowledge the plane crash ON or around November 14th and choose not to have a moment of silence? See 11/14/2018 for the answer.

I could keep going with stories of how things aren’t always as the seem, but I won’t.

If they are putting up 50 points a game they're not going to lose too many games. But I'd like to watch it. If they do that and come up short, it means they got beat by a better team and I'm ok with that. On the other hand, putting up 0 to 10 points a game and losing doesn't cut the mustard in my nook.
Apparently you don’t remember 2012

Did you think that way in 2012?

Same deal with basketball I don't care how "exciting" the play is. If it doesn't end in championships or big wins(multiple) it isn't worth a darn.

Just to be clear I'm not saying I prefer low scoring games. All I care about is titles and marquee wins.

Just like Doc. Dan has just one title. However Dan has zero wins over the power conferences.

Don't get me wrong Wichita State is a quality win in a Marquee setting, but they're still a peer program from a non-power conference.

Again big win, but I'm just applying the same arguments we use against Doc. That being said Doc has wins over Louisville, Maryland, and Purdue.

I only engage in this exercise because someone brought up MBB like it is so much ahead of the football team.

Reactions: ohio herd
How many times have you ever heard a head coach at Marshall University (any sport) openly say another sport doesn’t deserve something or that the baseball stadium is a “waste of money?”

How many times have you seen a head coach at Marshall University have the chance to acknowledge the plane crash ON or around November 14th and choose not to have a moment of silence? See 11/14/2018 for the answer.

I could keep going with stories of how things aren’t always as the seem, but I won’t.
It's funny that people hammer Doc for his "abrasive" personality yet give Dan a pass for being a smart aleck.

No arguments about the weight room. I hear ya, man. Frustrating.

But about the recruiting thing, I know what you’re saying about some of them. Frampton & Holden would have been knockouts here. I hate not having them. That pisses me off. But you heard Matt Campbell mention 4* talent vs 4* culture when Iowa State played Texas? Don’t think for a second that I don’t wish we had a Kane & a Whiteside to go along with Kelly, Elmore, Penava, & Kinsey. But I also know that you’re going to occasionally catch a Coleman, Pittman, & Canty when you play with fire like that. It’s a tradeoff I’m willing to accept, but can understand why it frustrates people.
To an extent I agree with you on Coleman and Pittman however that was in large part to Herrion.

Frist off Pittman was a well known head case before he got here. So bad that Huggins passed on him. He just didn't happen. Herrion knew who he was when he brought him here.

Secondly Herrion fostered a toxic atmosphere. Like the behind the scenes stories we heard about Kane. That was completely on how Herrion chose to handle the situation. Not to mention his Fred Samford antics on the sideline. I have a pic of Herrion grabbing his crotch at the officials. He created the atmosphere that lost his job and it was the same thing that got him fired at College of Charleston.

I never understand by people equate talent to headcases. It happens every time we debate recruiting that somehow if you take the under the radar kids they'll work harder and behave better.

I am not saying star ratings are the end all be all because we know they're flawed, but the teams that recruit the top talent each year rule their conferences. Marshall basketball has been able to recruit good and even great players through the years so it can be done here.

I have to level with you and it will anger some, but I think Dan is a bit lazy on recruiting. I have heard about the Frampton recruiting or lack thereof and that is inexcusable. I think Dan takes way too many project players too.

This is the kind of stuff that is so laughable to those who really know. Danny, who lost two people who were like parents to him, and many other friends, would purposely and intentionally go out of his way to not acknowledge the tragedy at a basketball game? He has little to no (closer to no) input on anything that happens other than on the court. It has been one of his gripes.

We’re talking about the same coach who went out of his way to acknowledge the 75 at his introductory press conference, right? The one who could hardly get two sentences out about it without breaking down. The same one who has mentioned the crash in numerous post game interviews and participated in WSAZ’s 50th anniversary special this year. Seriously?

Dan was still at Marshall when The Crash happened. Just as Chuck L has written about many times, Dan experienced it up close, knew people who died in The Crash, and gets emotional talking about it. Anyone who believes DD doesn’t revere everything about 11/14/70 is an idiot.

Dan was still at Marshall when The Crash happened. Just as Chuck L has written about many times, Dan experienced it up close, knew people who died in The Crash, and gets emotional talking about it. Anyone who believes DD doesn’t revere everything about 11/14/70 is an idiot.
Great segment on Keith Morehouse's Marshall Plane Crash special on Nov. 12th had DD speaking about babysitting the Proctor kids that night.

Actions speak louder than words IMO.

I realize that pain still runs deep, but when the plans are in place for a moment of silence and someone shoots those plans down..........That rubs myself and others the wrong way.

Doc Hagley was like a Dad to Danny. He does not publicly observe any of the memorial activities. His way of honoring his friends. He has that right.

Actions speak louder than words IMO.

I realize that pain still runs deep, but when the plans are in place for a moment of silence and someone shoots those plans down..........That rubs myself and others the wrong way.
maybe some people don't like to commercialize such events

Exactly.

It's rich for Coach Stowers to tell others how they have to remember likely the most devastating night of their life.

"Actions speak louder than words".

What a garbage take.

Exactly.

It's rich for Coach Stowers to tell others how they have to remember likely the most devastating night of their life.

"Actions speak louder than words".

What a garbage take.

I'm not telling anyone how to deal with things. How they deal with their grieving internally is to each their own, but putting that in front of the university's decision is tasteless IMO. You guys can feel however you want on the subject. I thought it was wrong and that would apply to anyone making that decision.......not just someone that exhausts me.

Recruiting is getting much more competitive-and if you look at chemistry and how to build a program it’s through recruiting quality HS kids, not JuCO and Grad Transfers or the portal. And we seem to have built our FB team around that formula lately. It doesn’t work long term. This is a University built around tradition and a town that loves its team. When we lost TG, CH and BL we lost a group of solid recruiting coaches that cared about this University. Now we try to fill holes with cast offs. This isn’t Liberty - we are Marshall...

I'm not telling anyone how to deal with things. How they deal with their grieving internally is to each their own, but putting that in front of the university's decision is tasteless IMO. You guys can feel however you want on the subject. I thought it was wrong and that would apply to anyone making that decision.......not just someone that exhausts me.

Lol Dan “exhausts” you? I know he ruffles some feathers in the Shewey but I didn’t think that would carry over to an unbiased fan who has no agenda at all and moderates an entirely unaffiliated Marshall message board. Hopefully you are getting compensated for your overtime by somebody, somewhere.

2012 we put up 50 about half the games and 40+ several other. We went 5-7

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Lol Dan “exhausts” you? I know he ruffles some feathers in the Shewey but I didn’t think that would carry over to an unbiased fan who has no agenda at all and moderates an entirely unaffiliated Marshall message board. Hopefully you are getting compensated for your overtime by somebody, somewhere.

I have my reasons to feel that way. We'll leave it at that.

I just understand now, more so than ever, why the D'Antoni's and Marshall had a rigid relationship for so long.

I have my reasons to feel that way. We'll leave it at that.

I just understand now, more so than ever, why the D'Antoni's and Marshall had a rigid relationship for so long.
Maybe the Shew doesn’t like having a Coach that has been @ MU longer than most all of them have been alive. He doesn’t fall for or tolerate their bullshit. He’s very popular with a majority of the fan base, and I am pretty sure they don’t like that either. I hope he sticks around, if only to stick his nose in things and keep the AD....not honest, but rather accountable to its customer base - us.

Maybe the Shew doesn’t like having a Coach that has been @ MU longer than most all of them have been alive. He doesn’t fall for or tolerate their bullshit. He’s very popular with a majority of the fan base, and I am pretty sure they don’t like that either. I hope he sticks around, if only to stick his nose in things and keep the AD....not honest, but rather accountable to its customer base - us.

Yeah.....................It's impressive to say the least

Don't you think Coach Dan knows what that day means? Cmon man. They have a fountain ceremony. They honor it at the football games close to the date or on the date.

Marshall seems to tick a lot of people off, especially sports figures. You ever ask why?

Self admittedly not the biggest Moss fan over the years but will never forget him mentioning being upset over how the ‘96 guys were treated... live on Monday Night Football.

I will give Hamrick & company credit, they have really brainwashed a percentage of folks to think that if it didn’t happen after 2009, it didn’t matter, or it must have been cheating, etc. Makes me wonder had that magical 90s run and the architects involved never happened, would some of these super fans even be on here? Doubt it.

Go Herd forever.

Pruett won 5 MAC Championships, 3 Motor City Bowls, 2 GMAC Bowls.

The MAC was not much better than Conference USA if at all and 5 Third Tier Bowl game victories Not NY6 Bowls.

That's seems more a flash in the pan and lightning striking twice than Alabama level of expectations especially when comparing the rest of the program history.

I think a 5-7 year stretch of good results made some people delusional. Not saying we cannot get to that level of success but we were hardly arrived and now tumbling out of control.

In similar amounts of time;

TCU won 5 MWC Championships, won a Rose Bowl and lost in the Fiesta Bowl.

Boise State won 4 WAC Championships and won 2 Fiesta Bowls

WVU won 4 Big East Championships and won a Sugar Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl.

All I'm saying is Pruett's "Championships" run and level of expectations don't compare. It is certainly a good start but hardly a comparable reason to blow up a winning program. My Opinion

Oh please, don't deprive us all of your knowledge about the basketball program. We have to hear about the bronze Doc Holliday statue you'd like to see built in front of the stadium, so you might as well share your stories.

Listen, I never said that Dan was without flaws. He is by no means a perfect man or a perfect coach. The program has been more exciting under his leadership than under anyone since Billy or Huck - and that's what we want to see as Herd Fans. If Doc's program were 1/2 as exciting or fun to watch as the basketball program, maybe their would be fewer seats impersonating fans at The Joan.

It's pretty easy for Doc to not complain about getting "things" for the football program... another story all together for basketball - and has been for decades. You hear the football side of the story every day because, well, we're all convinced that you split time between his basement and Hamrick's guest room. You are a Doc apologist and a Hamrick apologist - and that is undeniably clear to everyone on HerdNation. Own it. Admit it. Just once. I am sure that you can keep going with stories of the demonic Dan D'Antoni. Problem is - none of us care, because we all know that you are a victim of the Shewey Building Cult. You have consumed so much of the KoolAid that you no longer have the ability to create an original thought of your own.

Oh please, don't deprive us all of your knowledge about the basketball program. We have to hear about the bronze Doc Holliday statue you'd like to see built in front of the stadium, so you might as well share your stories.

Listen, I never said that Dan was without flaws. He is by no means a perfect man or a perfect coach. The program has been more exciting under his leadership than under anyone since Billy or Huck - and that's what we want to see as Herd Fans. If Doc's program were 1/2 as exciting or fun to watch as the basketball program, maybe their would be fewer seats impersonating fans at The Joan.

It's pretty easy for Doc to not complain about getting "things" for the football program... another story all together for basketball - and has been for decades. You hear the football side of the story every day because, well, we're all convinced that you split time between his basement and Hamrick's guest room. You are a Doc apologist and a Hamrick apologist - and that is undeniably clear to everyone on HerdNation. Own it. Admit it. Just once. I am sure that you can keep going with stories of the demonic Dan D'Antoni. Problem is - none of us care, because we all know that you are a victim of the Shewey Building Cult. You have consumed so much of the KoolAid that you no longer have the ability to create an original thought of your own.

I know more than you’d ever pretend to know.

I know more than you’d ever pretend to know.

Are we really in an age where “fake news” syndrome has now spilled over to message board conspiracy theories against the guys who run the site pretty damn good?

I don’t share the same opinions as them 80% of the time, but no reason to always go in for the kill when trying to discredit or whatever the hell it is a few of you guys do.

We’re all grown men around here right?

Well except for Fever who’s fortunate he had his moms basement during COVID, oh and that one suspect character who says he’s 16.

In other words, tighten up fellas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT