ADVERTISEMENT

Mark it Down: 12-20

Not so fast my friend! Wanna bet DD is back again next year? Only way he departs is if he retires or fans won’t buy tickets. JMO
CS could not care less about whether we buy tickets. He is a non-leader. Keeping DD in position, and replacing him with a DD handpicked successor, is the price he paid to get this job. The cabal like DD, and the mega-powerful D political family likes DD.

We are stuck until DD can no longer live out his fantasy camp existence.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
mufan08: Based on past history, it is definitely wishful thinking! At least I didn’t refer to my source ….
I just don't see him leaving. He signed a new three year deal (if he wanted to do year to year he would have just kept doing those deals) and doubt he wants to walk away from $1.6 million where leadership requires little effort or accountability for men's basketball.

He has the Marshall leadership in his back pocket and he can use pulling the financial support for the men's bball if he doesn't get his way.

Think the only person he will listen to is Mike. Maybe he can talk some sense in him.

Last edited:
FWIW: I read a post on another board that Mike has supposedly has told Dan it is time to retire. The guy who posted the information is reliable and said he had a very good source. That said, Dan is getting older and sometimes older people are not rational.

Dan has complained on one of his videos that he he to continuously recruit his player or they might leave. He wants the players committed for four years, but those days are over. I think Dan doesn't want have to deal with the changes in college sports and maybe he will retire?

Supposedly Mike has told him it's time to retire; as have others. We'll see. Spears may have been told by higher ups that DD is hands off. Marshall caving to the donor/money pressure.

I really don't see him here past next season. If the reports that brother Mike has told him to retire are true, he may just retire at the end of this year. One way or another, I am convinced he will ride off into the sunset no later than next year. I really appreciate what DD has done here, it just makes sense to make a transition. Hire Greg Marshall if he will come.

I really don't see him here past next season. If the reports that brother Mike has told him to retire are true, he may just retire at the end of this year. One way or another, I am convinced he will ride off into the sunset no later than next year. I really appreciate what DD has done here, it just makes sense to make a transition. Hire Greg Marshall if he will come.
Why would it be next year?
He still has two more years left on his contract after this season.

I thought the agreement was a 3 year deal but each was for a one year contract. With no roll over.
Supposedly no buyout either.
I mean we have a few people on this board and the others that are adamant that it is a year to year and no buy out either, but where are they getting that from?

Nothing like that was released to the newspapers when Dan signed his 3 year extension last offseason.

If someone actually has details of his extension from last year please share.

Personally, think people are confusing it with his year to year deal Dan had for 2022-2023 and the extension he signed at the end of last season.

Just find it funny, that one of the reasons for the 3 year deal (from a Danny worshipper) was to be with Micah, Fricks, and Conner when they graduated from here. And like a week later Micah is in the portal haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I mean we have a few people on this board and the others that are adamant that it is a year to year and no buy out either, but where are they getting that from?

Nothing like that was released to the newspapers when Dan signed his 3 year extension last offseason.

If someone actually has deals of his extension from last year please share.

Personally, think people are confusing it with his year to year deal he had for 2022-2023 and the extension he signed at the end of last season.

Just find it funny, that one of the reasons for the 3 year deal (from a Danny worshipper) was to be with Micah, Fricks, and Conner when they graduated from here haha. And like a week later Micah is in the portal.
I am not 100% of course but I thought Spears commented that each year would be an evaluation and no assurance for the next season was made. I thought that was in the HD when it was announced. Maybe not.
Just not a good situation at this point.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I am not 100% of course but I thought Spears commented that each year would be an evaluation and no assurance for the next season was made. I thought that was in the HD when it was announced. Maybe not.
Just not a good situation at this point.

Dan's year to year deal was signed after the 2021-2022 season and Spears said they would review after each season and go from there (see link below).

Then, March of last year (2023) Dan signs a 3 year deal after an emergency board meeting (why have an emergency meeting, no one was taking him). ZERO mention that this 3 year deal is on a year to year basis (heck, Dan mentions he's excited to be here for the next three years) and ZERO mention it is reviewed after the completion of the season for Dan to come back the next season (see link below).

So where are people getting Dan's currently on a year to year basis with no buyout? Need at least one source reference.

Last edited:
Dan's year to year deal was signed after the 2021-2022 season and Spears said they would review after each season and go from there (see link below).

Then, March of last year (2023) Dan signs a 3 year deal after an emergency board meeting (why have an emergency meeting, no one was taking him). ZERO mention that this 3 year deal is on a year to year basis (heck, Dan mentions he's excited to be here for the next three years) and ZERO mention it is reviewed after the completion of the season for Dan to come back the next season (see link below).

So where are people getting Dan's currently on a year to year basis with no buyout? Need at least one source reference.
Guess it's not year to year. You provided the link. I was wrong.

Guess it's not year to year. You provided the link. I was wrong.

Not trying to call you (or others) who is right or wrong.

Just if Danny is on a year to year in this three year deal with no buyout please share with us.

Cause it is very bleak future in our current state of men's bball.

Last edited:
The contract is 3 years, but with no buyout... So basically, we can fire DD at any time but we would have to reach a settlement as to what we would pay him not to coach. He of course would ask for his full salary for the next two years, we would probably counter with half that, and it would end up somewhere in between.

At this point, paying DD to sit on the sand in Myrtle Beach doesn't seem like a bad idea. But it would take away from what we could pay his replacement.

Lets hope the retirement rumors are true and that Mike and his family and getting through to him.

Why would it be next year?
He still has two more years left on his contract after this season.
just a gut feeling I have. If he doesn't leave on his own on his own terms next year the heat will be unbearable if we have another losing season. I like DD and hope he doesn't make this get ugly but he has two years left on his current contract

just a gut feeling I have. If he doesn't leave on his own on his own terms next year the heat will be unbearable if we have another losing season. I like DD and hope he doesn't make this get ugly but he has two years left on his current contract
I have the same hope, grew watching Danny play for the Herd....but the current situation is horrible and I can't see a man in his last 70's even having the capacity to change. We need a younger coach in tune with the modern world of college basketball. I, like Danny, hate all the transfer and NIL money being throw around but that's the status quo in today's college hoops. To deny that is to finish at the bottom of a bad Sun Belt conference.

He missed a darn good opportunity to retire last year. Leaving after a 24-8 campaign and losing 3 of your top 5 players was a no brainer. Unfortunately if he leaves at 13-19 or whatever we'll end up this year will not be the same. He'll always have the 2017-2018 season, which was an incredible run. Unfortunately he wasn't able to parlay that into sustained success afterwards.

…..and with 2 blowout losses looming this week, the impression left is very negative. It’s sad & frustrating at the same time. Who’da thunk DD would abandon his most favorite system that Ellis taught him (the pick & roll) to have the pick & roll man be the center of the offense, completely ruining flow & the “active ball”?

…..Believe it or not, D’Antoni actually is chasing an all-time record! With 17 more losses, he will become the head coach with the most losses in school history….😳
Maybe someone should remind him of that. That alone may cause him to retire.

Reactions: herd66
That will (hopefully) mark Dan’s last season as the head man for the Herd. No way we win another game.
In the interesting numbers category, whoever set 12 as the poll number was spot on. Does that mean it’s a push?
That would be me who set the over/under. The team hasn't been over .500 since the first game of the season. Something has to give.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
There is no buy out. The 3 year "contract" is not a contract. It's a year-to-year memo of understanding that can be nullified by either party.

Enjoy continuing your retirement, Dan. Much less Marshall money each month, though.

There is no buy out. The 3 year "contract" is not a contract. It's a year-to-year memo of understanding that can be nullified by either party.

Enjoy continuing your retirement, Dan. Much less Marshall money each month, though.
That was the original deal. A new deal was put together last Spring. Not sure if a buyout or not. This has been discussed on here repeatedly. I don't know why a new 3 year deal was done.

That was the original deal. A new deal was put together last Spring. Not sure if a buyout or not. This has been discussed on here repeatedly. I don't know why a new 3 year deal was done.

Again, there is no buyout. It's not a three year deal.

Cant get there this year, but if he comes back next year it will be a lock.

Meanwhile, the ladies have a massive game tomorrow against ULM... At least we have one program that's watchable.
We can only hope is deep down he is a true "son of Marshall" and steps away from a situation that is clearly above his pay grade. It's a entirely different world than Danny remembers. and is used to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT