ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Poll

How many games will M.U. win this season?

• Over 12

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Under 12

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Total voters
I watched last night's game thinking, "Neither of these teams is going to finish .500"

It's almost like we are trying to be bad at basketball.

It's the same horse shit every year... Every shot is a good shot (despite the fact that we suck at shooting 3's), run and gun, no defense, BS... We got lucky one year, with the best shooter MU has had in 50 years, and we won a conference tournament. Hooray.

This team will be lucky to get to double digit wins for the year, in a bad basketball league.

Reactions: The Real SamC
As I've said before, unless Dan decides to retire on his own, this could get messy. I doubt Spears will want to keep he or the staff if we don't at least win 15 games or so. I don't see that happening at this point.
Will it be Marshall vs. the Dantoni family. Spears will be the bad guy, will he have the support of Smith and the BOG, one member is the sister of the HC. Sticky situation.

As I've said before, unless Dan decides to retire on his own, this could get messy. I doubt Spears will want to keep he or the staff if we don't at least win 15 games or so. I don't see that happening at this point.
Will it be Marshall vs. the Dantoni family. Spears will be the bad guy, will he have the support of Smith and the BOG, one member is the sister of the HC. Sticky situation.
No doubt about it... But Dan's a smart guy, and you could tell after the loss the other night, he knows they suck. At some point he has to want to quit dealing with it and move back to his nice big house in Myrtle Beach right?

Get to the end of the year, give him a gold watch, thank him for his service and allow him to "retire" and ride off into the sunrise of South Carolina where he can golf and play pickle ball and eat crab legs at all hours of the night and day.

This reality is sinking in so much quicker this year than in previous years. For all of DD's TALK, the action isn't there. This is a career HS coach in his 70s living out a fantasy camp type existence.

MU needs to decide if this token effort is all we want to do, or, as this is a bad basketball league, can we expend the effort to actually win.

The issue is DD. His, and his family's, political control is huge.

This reality is sinking in so much quicker this year than in previous years. For all of DD's TALK, the action isn't there. This is a career HS coach in his 70s living out a fantasy camp type existence.

MU needs to decide if this token effort is all we want to do, or, as this is a bad basketball league, can we expend the effort to actually win.

The issue is DD. His, and his family's, political control is huge.
Just by the eye test... We have three legit DI basketball players... OAK, Curfman, Voyles... And even they have limitations. OAK and Voyles are foul happy and often on the bench. Curfman either has it or he doesn't (but even when he doesn't he isn't going to stop shooting).

The rest of the group looks like their jerseys should say Glenville State.

THIS! Understand the long-gone world of the coalfields, and HS basketball within it, that DD grew up in. Going to the state tournament and grabbing the best kids was a winning formula, if not at the Marshall level (and the Marshall level back then was 20 times higher than the Marshall level of today) certainly at the Glenville-Concord-Fairmont level.

That is all DD knows. Remember he left at 22 and became what he was born to be. A HS coach.

Reactions: RhinoD
Just by the eye test... We have three legit DI basketball players... OAK, Curfman, Voyles... And even they have limitations. OAK and Voyles are foul happy and often on the bench. Curfman either has it or he doesn't (but even when he doesn't he isn't going to stop shooting).

Hit the nail on the head...we just don't have much talent!

You must not watch. Nate Martin is far and away the best basketball player on the roster. Our starting 5 is OKAY at best, but we have absolutely no depth because Dan lets guys like Goran, Marco, Chase, Aymeric, and Kyle stick around too long and they waste scholarship space.

You must not watch. Nate Martin is far and away the best basketball player on the roster. Our starting 5 is OKAY at best, but we have absolutely no depth because Dan lets guys like Goran, Marco, Chase, Aymeric, and Kyle stick around too long and they waste scholarship space.
I've watched every game but one this season... I like Martin. He's that kind of "junkyard dog" every team needs. But his offensive game is bad (no jumper, not tall enough to grind out low post buckets.) He primarily scores on putbacks, and layups that other people create for him. He's also a liability on defense, not big enough to guard the other teams center, but also can't guard guys on the perimeter. He needs OAK to be on the floor to protect the rim and cover for him... He rebounds, and he plays as hard as he possibly can, but don't confuse that with being a DI talent.

I've watched every game but one this season... I like Martin. He's that kind of "junkyard dog" every team needs. But his offensive game is bad (no jumper, not tall enough to grind out low post buckets.) He primarily scores on putbacks, and layups that other people create for him. He's also a liability on defense, not big enough to guard the other teams center, but also can't guard guys on the perimeter. He needs OAK to be on the floor to protect the rim and cover for him... He rebounds, and he plays as hard as he possibly can, but don't confuse that with being a DI talent.
Im sorry, this is a VERY ignorant statement. "He needs Obinna on the floor" you're just spewing with no validity to your statements. Last game, Obinna was -16 on the floor while Nate was +7 for the game. Nate would be much better defensively if we wouldn't switch everything, which dan said we were going to stop. Again, if you don't know the actual ins and outs of collegiate basketball, don't make yourself sound silly.

Im sorry, this is a VERY ignorant statement. "He needs Obinna on the floor" you're just spewing with no validity to your statements. Last game, Obinna was -16 on the floor while Nate was +7 for the game. Nate would be much better defensively if we wouldn't switch everything, which dan said we were going to stop. Again, if you don't know the actual ins and outs of collegiate basketball, don't make yourself sound silly.
Plus/minus? Really?... This isn't hockey. Just because you are on the floor when the other team gets hot and makes a bunch of 3's vs being on the floor when they go cold isn't a useful metric, especially to measure individual defense. Watch the games.

And you are right about not switching every screen... That would help Martin for sure... The question is, can our guards defend well enough on-ball to make it a viable strategy? I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.

Plus/minus? Really?... This isn't hockey. Just because you are on the floor when the other team gets hot and makes a bunch of 3's vs being on the floor when they go cold isn't a useful metric, especially to measure individual defense. Watch the games.

And you are right about not switching every screen... That would help Martin for sure... The question is, can our guards defend well enough on-ball to make it a viable strategy? I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.
Yes, plus/minus. You ask any coach, including Dan, and that is something they all look at. The only reason i knew the Obinna and Nate +/- off the top of my head is because dan stated those numbers in the post game presser.

He mentioned the switching to actually help cam and kevon because they got destroyed inside last game.

Obinna is also a horrid ft shooter, while nate is the best on our team. Obinna doesn't really stretch the floor, even though he shoots threes like he can lol

Obinna is also a horrid ft shooter, while nate is the best on our team. Obinna doesn't really stretch the floor, even though he shoots threes like he can lol
Agreed... Every time he takes a shot more than 15 feet from the rim I shake by head. I'm not arguing that OAK is the second coming of Patrick Ewing, lol.

Agreed... Every time he takes a shot more than 15 feet from the rim I shake by head. I'm not arguing that OAK is the second coming of Patrick Ewing, lol.
No, i know youre not. But martin is far and away the best player on our team. Most talented, no. Best overall, yes.

Yes, plus/minus. You ask any coach, including Dan, and that is something they all look at. The only reason i knew the Obinna and Nate +/- off the top of my head is because dan stated those numbers in the post game presser.

He mentioned the switching to actually help cam and kevon because they got destroyed inside last game.

PeytonwGill - can you educate me & anyone else who doesn’t understand the +/- ?
Math was never my strong suit! 😂

Here’s ChatGPT’s answer:
Certainly! The plus-minus (+/-) statistic in basketball measures the point differential when a player is on the court. If a player's team scores more points than the opponent while they're playing, their +/- is positive; if the opponent scores more, it's negative.

For example, if a player enters a game with their team leading 20-15 and leaves with the score 30-25, their +/- for that stint is +5. It reflects their impact on the team's performance.

However, +/- has limitations and can be influenced by various factors, so it's often analyzed alongside other stats for a more comprehensive evaluation of a player's effectiveness.

Here’s ChatGPT’s answer:
Certainly! The plus-minus (+/-) statistic in basketball measures the point differential when a player is on the court. If a player's team scores more points than the opponent while they're playing, their +/- is positive; if the opponent scores more, it's negative.

For example, if a player enters a game with their team leading 20-15 and leaves with the score 30-25, their +/- for that stint is +5. It reflects their impact on the team's performance.

However, +/- has limitations and can be influenced by various factors, so it's often analyzed alongside other stats for a more comprehensive evaluation of a player's effectiveness.
I believe in your example, the player entered with his team up 5 and left with his team still up 5, so his +/- would be 0.

I watched the second half of the Louisiana Monroe game. If the majority of the league is that bad, then we can have a record that LOOKS good. That was some horrible basketball.

Reactions: cincyherdfan

Well, the collective got Doc, Hamrick, and Dr. Gilbert tossed.
No doubt they can probably do the same.

But if that happens, if I am Spears, I am 1000% blowing the whistle on it. Letting everyone know it's Dan, just so the court of public opinion will bury his ego.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I watched last night's game thinking, "Neither of these teams is going to finish .500"

It's almost like we are trying to be bad at basketball.

It's the same horse shit every year... Every shot is a good shot (despite the fact that we suck at shooting 3's), run and gun, no defense, BS... We got lucky one year, with the best shooter MU has had in 50 years, and we won a conference tournament. Hooray.

This team will be lucky to get to double digit wins for the year, in a bad basketball league.

I always find it funny seeing people talk about how exciting it is to see MU come back from a double digit deficit. "Our players fought hard and never gave up."

I'm like, "how does MU keep finding themselves in positions where they have to claw and fight to win? Why not...I dunno...be good enough to just obliterate everyone?"

It's not cute, it's not funny, and it's a chronic problem this team, under Dan, has been having.

Herdguy04 - you remind me of the archetypical negative Herd fan.
Picture it:
You’ve seen/heard them at home football games all your life. They are somehow always located 2-3 rows directly behind your seat. Grizzled old men, never women. They love to criticize every single mistake, sit silently stewing in their negativity during Thunder Claps & make sure everyone around them can hear every word. Why do they attend? Beats me.

Reactions: horsrman
Herdguy04 - you remind me of the archetypical negative Herd fan.
Picture it:
You’ve seen/heard them at home football games all your life. They are somehow always located 2-3 rows directly behind your seat. Grizzled old men, never women. They love to criticize every single mistake, sit silently stewing in their negativity during Thunder Claps & make sure everyone around them can hear every word. Why do they attend? Beats me.
Translation:

You accept mediocrity. Just shut up and cheer for whatever the cabal puts forward, and remember, we are just little ole Marshall, we shouldn't really expect much.

--

Don't know why you brought up football, in this basketball thread, but football really is relevant to what is wrong with MU basketball. Like CUSA before it, the SBC of today is built for football. Schools that have very little in common except an, admirable and bold, desire to play football at a certain level. All brought their basketball, and every other, programs along. Vastly different resources, commitments, histories, and just plain old fan interest, in basketball across the SBC.

The SBC is thus a bottom conference. The average NCAA one-bid seed is 13th. Only ahead of the kidding themselves by being in DI "bus and gym" leagues like the Big South, Southland, MAAC, America East, HBCUs, etc. The real bottom.

And, bluntly, MU is in the upper third of the SBC. We have the facilities, a basketball culture state and city, and a solid history of basketball mattering. Much of the SBC thinks of basketball as something to kill time until spring practice, or baseball season.

The SBC is there to be taken by the throat and controlled. Really controlled. By us, JMU, ODU, or the handful of other programs that have the resources, and bluntly bother to care, about the sport.

But, we have a 75 year old retired lifetime HS coach living out a fantasy camp retirement, and random players no one else wants. Because keeping him was the price of non-leader CS getting this job. We will never know how many turned that deal down.

This is a token effort.

Fire DD.

Fire CS.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Translation:

You accept mediocrity. Just shut up and cheer for whatever the cabal puts forward, and remember, we are just little ole Marshall, we shouldn't really expect much.

--

Don't know why you brought up football, in this basketball thread, but football really is relevant to what is wrong with MU basketball. Like CUSA before it, the SBC of today is built for football. Schools that have very little in common except an, admirable and bold, desire to play football at a certain level. All brought their basketball, and every other, programs along. Vastly different resources, commitments, histories, and just plain old fan interest, in basketball across the SBC.

The SBC is thus a bottom conference. The average NCAA one-bid seed is 13th. Only ahead of the kidding themselves by being in DI "bus and gym" leagues like the Big South, Southland, MAAC, America East, HBCUs, etc. The real bottom.

And, bluntly, MU is in the upper third of the SBC. We have the facilities, a basketball culture state and city, and a solid history of basketball mattering. Much of the SBC thinks of basketball as something to kill time until spring practice, or baseball season.

The SBC is there to be taken by the throat and controlled. Really controlled. By us, JMU, ODU, or the handful of other programs that have the resources, and bluntly bother to care, about the sport.

But, we have a 75 year old retired lifetime HS coach living out a fantasy camp retirement, and random players no one else wants. Because keeping him was the price of non-leader CS getting this job. We will never know how many turned that deal down.

This is a token effort.

Fire DD.

Fire CS.
Thankfully, your opinion is not taken into consideration when decisions like the ones you are calling for are made….

We've accepted mediocrity in b'ball for a vast majority of the last 35 years or so.

At the beginning of last year I was on board with letting Dan have one final season to ride into the sunset and "retiring" him. The team ended up going 24-8 and I believe he earned this year with that performance.

The team sits at 8-8 with 15 games remaining and in 2nd place (3-0) in the conference. Whether Dan deserves another year, in my opinion, depends on how the rest of the season plays out. Team crashes, it is time to "retire" and give him the gold watch.

Translation:

You accept mediocrity.
As of December 2023, Marshall tied for first place in the Sun Belt with a total graduation rate for student athletes at 91%. Should that not be our focus? What percentage of student athletes move on to the professional level? I'll answer that. Fewer than 2% of NCAA student athletes move to the professional level. We've won national championships in basketball, football and soccer. I'm proud of our accomplishments and of our obvious focus on making sure our student athletes have a meaningful life after athletics. We are doing good work! We have an excellent history and proper focus going forward.

Last edited:
As of December 2023, Marshall tied for first place in the Sun Belt with a total graduation rate for student athletes at 91%. Should that not be our focus? What percentage of student athletes move on to the professional level? I'll answer that. Fewer than 2% of NCAA student athletes move to the professional level. We've won national championships in basketball, football and soccer. I'm proud of our accomplishments and of our obvious focus on making sure our student athletes have a meaningful life after athletics. We are doing good work! We have an excellent history and proper focus going forward.
You are probably right in the grand scheme of life... But this is the exact kind of statistic losing programs always tout on Twitter, etc... Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford, etc. always make big deals about their academics and graduation rate to try to justify being shitty at the two sports that matter.

And we are nowhere close to those schools academically.

MU sports is a business. If you want the business to be successful, win games, as many as possible.

Good post. But Sam doesn’t understand. He never went to college.

With NIL deals the goal is not if they “graduate” but they show up, perform and win. If we’re going to start paying these athletes, it’s no longer about them just graduating but putting us in a position to win.. I understand group of 5 money is nothing like power 5, but I for one am not looking at a 6-7 football team or and 8-8 basketball team and thinking “well at least 91% graduated with a bachelors degree” most have a full ride(tuition/books/board/clothing) and whatever other cash they pocketed on NIL. WIN

Last edited:
Reactions: Herdguy04
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT