ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Poll

How many games will M.U. win this season?

• Over 12

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Under 12

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Total voters
Herdguy04 - you remind me of the archetypical negative Herd fan.
Picture it:
You’ve seen/heard them at home football games all your life. They are somehow always located 2-3 rows directly behind your seat. Grizzled old men, never women. They love to criticize every single mistake, sit silently stewing in their negativity during Thunder Claps & make sure everyone around them can hear every word. Why do they attend? Beats me.

But they do attend games...

As of December 2023, Marshall tied for first place in the Sun Belt with a total graduation rate for student athletes at 91%. Should that not be our focus? What percentage of student athletes move on to the professional level? I'll answer that. Fewer than 2% of NCAA student athletes move to the professional level. We've won national championships in basketball, football and soccer. I'm proud of our accomplishments and of our obvious focus on making sure our student athletes have a meaningful life after athletics. We are doing good work! We have an excellent history and proper focus going forward.

You and Butch Jones would be good friends.

Reactions: RhinoD
MU has the opportunity this weekend to settle the poll in favor of the minority. If we get to 13, what is the door prize? 😂

Charlie Jones was my favorite player as a kid.
WVU @ MU …early 80’s. Charles gets the ball and throws down a dunk that raised the decibel level considerably in the then new Cam. Terry Bumgardner was doing the play by play, and he said “Charlie Jones, hangin’ from the rafters!” Also, his Mom sang the national anthem before the game.

WVU @ MU …early 80’s. Charles gets the ball and throws down a dunk that raised the decibel level considerably in the then new Cam. Terry Bumgardner was doing the play by play, and he said “Charlie Jones, hangin’ from the rafters!” Also, his Mom sang the national anthem before the game.
You knew the kid was amped after mom sang the anthem. I have a framed picture of him dunking on the WVU player. An epic night

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Were any of you in attendance up in Morgantown the night we beat them for the 1st time? That was one epic party at the Holiday Inn well into the a.m. ..
‘80-‘81 season I believe..

Reactions: 19MU88 and herd66
Saturday night against S Miss we ran everything through Martin, took 18 3 points shots for the game and won big. Tonight we took 18 3 point shots in the first half alone and trail a team with 1 conference win (over us). Why did we go away from playing through Martin?

Just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Again. We need to play some defense and not let teams go to the bucket on us. Happens every game and the other guys have figured it out. Plus when a guy misses 13 shots from 3 you have 3 choices. 1) Tell him to stop shooting 2) Tie his hands 3) Take him out and get the ball to #0.

Someone needs to tell Dan when the game is over and you get your tail kicked for a second time by the worst team in the conference he’s supposed to go shake hands with the other coach….instead he yelled something at the red then went straight to do his radio and told Steve he was only doing 2-3 questions…..
He’s more concerned about that than watching his team fall apart while he just watches…..referee tried to help him out during ODU run at one point…Old Dominion was on 6-0 run and ref looked at Dan and asked if he wanted a timeout and Dan said “we’re good”….then after turnover and they go score to make it a 8-0 run ref looked at Dan and asked, “now you want a timeout?” Dan said, “no, waiting for media timeout”

Someone needs to tell Dan when the game is over and you get your tail kicked for a second time by the worst team in the conference he’s supposed to go shake hands with the other coach….instead he yelled something at the red then went straight to do his radio and told Steve he was only doing 2-3 questions…..
He’s more concerned about that than watching his team fall apart while he just watches…..referee tried to help him out during ODU run at one point…Old Dominion was on 6-0 run and ref looked at Dan and asked if he wanted a timeout and Dan said “we’re good”….then after turnover and they go score to make it a 8-0 run ref looked at Dan and asked, “now you want a timeout?” Dan said, “no, waiting for media timeout”
Wow.

Just by the eye test... We have three legit DI basketball players... OAK, Curfman, Voyles... And even they have limitations. OAK and Voyles are foul happy and often on the bench. Curfman either has it or he doesn't (but even when he doesn't he isn't going to stop shooting).

The rest of the group looks like their jerseys should say Glenville State.
Curfman in my opinion is not a D1 talent. When a player jacks up 19 shots and hits 4 that’s not a D1 player. He’s done this in a number of games. This team has pitiful fundamentals, the biggest being not following their shots.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Curfman in my opinion is not a D1 talent. When a player jacks up 19 shots and hits 4 that’s not a D1 player. He’s done this in a number of games. This team has pitiful fundamentals, the biggest being not following their shots.
Curfman and Conner shouldn't be anywhere near a D1 roster, much less starting. I knew when Curfman had it stolen there in the last 3-4 minutes that they weren't winning that game. Just complete incompetence. Unfortunately, the roster is so lacking in talent, they almost have to. Dan is the absolute worst recruiter in all of men's college basketball. It's almost comical.

Maybe the HC should rein him in. Or try something else. Having Fricks and Nutter in the lineup together tells me all I need to know. While Crawford sits.
The roster is lacking. Crawford while skilled, is not the savior but rather another loose cannon to play. That said, he may as well get some minutes like the rest do.

It's hard for me to be overly critical of any one player and also hard to praise any one player. The roster is not impressive and we have no go to guy that we can count on nightly or on a regular basis at all.

The roster is lacking. Crawford while skilled, is not the savior but rather another loose cannon to play. That said, he may as well get some minutes like the rest do.

It's hard for me to be overly critical of any one player and also hard to praise any one player. The roster is not impressive and we have no go to guy that we can count on nightly or on a regular basis at all.
Certainly agree. Obviously DD and Crawford aren't seeing eye to eye. But at this point, maybe playing him more will allow him to get more comfortable in the system. Might as well try.

What happened last night was very weird. DD decides to start Crawford in place of Connor. Just after tipoff, maybe a minute in, Connor is at the scorers table waiting to check in! No vote of confidence there….

What happened last night was very weird. DD decides to start Crawford in place of Connor. Just after tipoff, maybe a minute in, Connor is at the scorers table waiting to check in! No vote of confidence there….
My bet is there was a screwup with the lineup they turned in. Instead of taking a T, they chose to start the game with the 5 written down. Of course, only speculation because our reporters would never ask that question.

So, lets say we finish 14-17 regular season. Win the first game of the tourney and lose the next to finish 15-18.
What do Spears and Smith do? DD doesn't look like he will retire. So they will be forced to keep him via BOG and donors who want him to remain; or fire him and risk losing some old money. What say you?

It's obvious we need new blood. The men's program may be the only MU program not trending upward in some way.

Last night was just flat embarrassing. This idea of running the offense with a 6’ 10” point guard passing to a 6’ 8” big to create offense is the most illogical thing I have witnessed in my almost 60 years following Marshall basketball! Just dreadful. Time for a change at the top, and I hope it will happen.

Last night was just flat embarrassing. This idea of running the offense with a 6’ 10” point guard passing to a 6’ 8” big to create offense is the most illogical thing I have witnessed in my almost 60 years following Marshall basketball! Just dreadful. Time for a change at the top, and I hope it will happen.
Yes, we need to buy Dan a solid gold Rocking Chair, let him go out with trumpets and accolades but the bottom line he needs to go out!

It was the kind of thing I would do when my community league team of 9-10 year olds is playing its last game of the season... Let the kids have fun and see what happens. Let the center dribble the ball up, the shooting guard plays in the post, we jack up a bunch of 3s (even though 9 year olds can't shoot 3s), etc.

I just hope DD took the boys out for pizza and ice cream after it was over and that by golly everyone had fun and got a selfie for instagram.

…just watched DD’s post game. He threw the players under the bus. Said it’s not on the coaches. 😳
new.gif

He does that after EVERY loss.

He's just there to hand out orange slices and Gatorade at a reported $800,000 compensation a year.

Last edited:
new.gif

He does that after EVERY loss.

He's just there to hand out orange slices and Gatorade at a reported $800,000 compensation a year.
I look for a massive bunch of transfers next year, if they can find another school willing to take them. Obinna probably won't have much trouble finding a new home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT