ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota Plans To Eliminate Gender Distinctions For High School Sports

That would be a terrible idea! Thank goodness that isn't actually what the proposed law does.

For anyone who doesn't feel like clicking on that article, which is a pretty healthy impulse because it's makes some idiotic conclusions, this law wouldn't remove gender distinctions in sports, it would allow transgender students to compete on the gender team that they identify with. But quite literally the 'gender' separation would still be there. You could make the case this erodes the sex distinction, but that's a very different thing.

Honest question are there that many transgendered teenagers in Minnesota, or the country for that matter to where this should even be an issue?

It's probably a pretty big issue for those affected, but the only statistics I can find peg it at somewhere between .1 and .5% of the population. Now that is adults, and I'd imagine the teenage population is lower (though I can't say for sure). So yes, it's a fringe issue.

Aside from the reasons for this decision I have long advocated just one team for each sport. One basketball team, one baseball team, one softball team, one tennis team, one swim team, one fb team, etc. Male and female can play any sport and let the best make the cut. That's equality, and cost savings. I believe American public schools will eventually get out of the varsity sport business and kids will play on AAU ( type ) teams, its a money and liability issue for high schools. Wait until the law suits regarding the rubber pellets on the plastic fields start, its going to get messy.

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:
That would be a terrible idea! Thank goodness that isn't actually what the proposed law does.

For anyone who doesn't feel like clicking on that article, which is a pretty healthy impulse because it's makes some idiotic conclusions, this law wouldn't remove gender distinctions in sports, it would allow transgender students to compete on the gender team that they identify with. But quite literally the 'gender' separation would still be there. You could make the case this erodes the sex distinction, but that's a very different thing.
Doesn't this basically just let men compete on womens teams. The likelihood that any woman could compete on a men's team is remarkably small anyway, and then furthering down that likelihood to the incredibly low portion of the population that has a gender identity issue would make this a nonstarter for women who "identify" as men.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT