ADVERTISEMENT

NHR - LIV Golf

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
The Saudi rival to the PGA Tour will replace the old Greenbrier Classic next August 4-6. Unlike the old tournament it won’t feature a themed Marshall-WVU-Virginia Tech-UVa alumni clubhouse, but admission is way less, $27 for the weekend.

• Angry
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I recall the PGA events held there, and usually didn't attract the top PGA golfers. Even then, they seemed to be finished 72 holes 20 something under par. There's a lot of good golfers in the LIV, so maybe a few of them will shoot 38 under par or something like that.

Hope they still have volunteers and give them a free round for two golf pass. A good friend has a girlfriend who volunteered at the old tournament, she got a pass and gave it to him then he called me to go play golf at the Greenbrier. It’s the only way I would ever play there. Free!

Good for the state…errr Jimmy J. They treat that course like a playground…kind of fun to watch. I think most of the pros sold their property that was at the greenbrier when the PGA left.
I followed DJ a few holes when they were here and it’s incredible how hard he hits. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: whf2
I recall the PGA events held there, and usually didn't attract the top PGA golfers. Even then, they seemed to be finished 72 holes 20 something under par. There's a lot of good golfers in the LIV, so maybe a few of them will shoot 38 under par or something like that.

The first year it was way too easy, someone even shot a 59.

Later years they made it tougher, I don’t recall the scores being way lower than any of the other standard stops on the tour.

Hell, Tiger and Phil both played there one year, and both missed the cut for the first time since like 96. So it’s not like they were playing miniature golf.

Good for the state…errr Jimmy J. They treat that course like a playground…kind of fun to watch. I think most of the pros sold their property that was at the greenbrier when the PGA left.
I followed DJ a few holes when they were here and it’s incredible how hard he hits. Looking forward to it.
There's a few really nice properties for sell in White Sulphur Springs, and some have been listed for a while now, so figuring those are some of the pros that are selling. Can't imagine too many buyers in that area for several $3,000,000 homes.

My dad worked all the tour events at the Greenbrier. He was talking to a tour official, just chit chatting, wasting time. He asked about the low scores and the PGA dude said their goal at places like the Old White is to have the winner be between -15 to -20 under par to win. As Raoul said, folks want to see eagles and birdies, not bogeys and pars.

First of all, F the Saudis and F the LIV.

Second, it's not an issue that the course is "easy". Most courses on tour are actually pretty easy for those guys, it's the elite tournaments that are hard. Most tour stops, people don't want to pay to see guys shoot over par.
You can make the courses harder. Narrow fairways and shoot up the rough.

F the Saudis, F Greg Norman, F LIV

Don't go to the event.

Two, they are trying to destroy the tour, majors, Ryder Cup, President's Cup, etc.
This is a ludicrous take. How can they "destroy" the majors? Seriously. The PGA deciding to allow these guys to actually play in the majors would create more drama and more eyeballs watching. Locking them out is senseless and petty. It is actually making golf less interesting to watch.
Hopefully those guys get zero OGWR points for the long term
Watching millionaires cry over who is getting more millions is hilarious. "Disruption" is accepted in every industry except for pro sports organizations like PGA.

Reactions: HerdFan73
This is a ludicrous take. How can they "destroy" the majors? Seriously. The PGA deciding to allow these guys to actually play in the majors would create more drama and more eyeballs watching. Locking them out is senseless and petty. It is actually making golf less interesting to watch.

Watching millionaires cry over who is getting more millions is hilarious. "Disruption" is accepted in every industry except for pro sports organizations like PGA.
Who needs the dirty Saudi League. First of their fromat is a joke at this point. Second, the PGA Tour has been the standard. Third, who wants the dirty Saudis involved in golf.

This is a ludicrous take. How can they "destroy" the majors? Seriously. The PGA deciding to allow these guys to actually play in the majors would create more drama and more eyeballs watching.
That would be interesting. If the PGA had anything to do with the Majors. Except, of course, it doesn’t.

The PGA Tour runs the regular weekly events and is more or less a cooperative among the players. The Majors are run by the Augusta National Golf Club (secret society of richer than rich men), the USGA (the rule making body for the USA), the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrew’s (the rule making body for the rest of the world) and the PGA of America (the labor union for the golf pros at local courses, unrelated to the PGA Tour since 1969).
The objections to the Saudi tour are two. One is the Saudis. This can be called “sportswashing” which is the use of sports to make people ignore the country’s treatment of people. Anybody old enough to remember the mainstream media gushing over commie athletes back in the day knows it works. The other is covered above. The PGA Tour is a cooperative, no owner. If you are good enough you can make it. This Saudi tour is like the Globetrotters. It’s an exhibition. As it ages, there is no way to know how good these guys really are, as they just play one another over and over.

As to the OWGR, which the PGA Tour isn’t in charge of either, the points age out after 2 years. If this Saudi thing lasts long enough, the guys like Phil and Bubba who have lifetime passes for being winners will still play, but the rest of the crew will have no points and will be unwelcome.

That would be interesting. If the PGA had anything to do with the Majors. Except, of course, it doesn’t.

The PGA Tour runs the regular weekly events and is more or less a cooperative among the players. The Majors are run by the Augusta National Golf Club (secret society of richer than rich men), the USGA (the rule making body for the USA), the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrew’s (the rule making body for the rest of the world) and the PGA of America (the labor union for the golf pros at local courses, unrelated to the PGA Tour since 1969).

The objections to the Saudi tour are two. One is the Saudis. This can be called “sportswashing” which is the use of sports to make people ignore the country’s treatment of people. Anybody old enough to remember the mainstream media gushing over commie athletes back in the day knows it works. The other is covered above. The PGA Tour is a cooperative, no owner. If you are good enough you can make it. This Saudi tour is like the Globetrotters. It’s an exhibition. As it ages, there is no way to know how good these guys really are, as they just play one another over and over.

As to the OWGR, which the PGA Tour isn’t in charge of either, the points age out after 2 years. If this Saudi thing lasts long enough, the guys like Phil and Bubba who have lifetime passes for being winners will still play, but the rest of the crew will have no points and will be unwelcome.
I beliee that is why Augusta is letting them play in 2023. If you notice Augustas wording this week, it states to the something to the effect of they can play in 2023 but after that we may make changes.

My guess is they are waiting on the guys in the LIV clown show to run out of OGWR points(to avoid lawsuits and PR) and then guys with lifetime exemptions like Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, etc. will be kindly asked to not attend and just because you have a green jacket it is no longer an automatic exemption.

They are not likely to get OGWR points until their fields get better and they change their format.

Like I said. "Disruption" is an accepted idea in every industry. Blackballing golfers because they took a payout in another league is incredibly short sighted for a host of reasons.

Dont give me the excuse "Saudi's treatment of people--sports washing". That is incredibly lame for a host of reasons. When Herdman and Sammy start boycotting driving combustible engines cars...let me know. When these PGA players stop taking endorsement money from companies with huge Saudi backing....let me know.

If the PGA had anything to do with the Majors. Except, of course, it doesn’t.
Which actually strengthens my point.
As it ages, there is no way to know how good these guys really are, as they just play one another over and over.
Again. Why not let them play and find out "how good they are"?

This Saudi tour is like the Globetrotters. It’s an exhibition.

AND IT WORKS....The Tiger-Phil 1V1 events, the Manning-Brady with pro golfers events are all "EXHIBITION" events that draw fans in and big sponsorships. Exhibitions work.

Since the PGA is controlled by it's member golfers, this is nothing more than one group of millionaires being butt hurt over another group of millionaires getting a big guarantee.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Like I said. "Disruption" is an accepted idea in every industry. Blackballing golfers because they took a payout in another league is incredibly short sighted for a host of reasons.

Dont give me the excuse "Saudi's treatment of people--sports washing". That is incredibly lame for a host of reasons. When Herdman and Sammy start boycotting driving combustible engines cars...let me know. When these PGA players stop taking endorsement money from companies with huge Saudi backing....let me know.

AND IT WORKS....The Tiger-Phil 1V1 events, the Manning-Brady with pro golfers events are all "EXHIBITION" events that draw fans in and big sponsorships. Exhibitions work.

Since the PGA is controlled by it's member golfers, this is nothing more than one group of millionaires being butt hurt over another group of millionaires getting a big guarantee.

Excellent points. Let’s boycott LiV because of the Saudi’s. Meanwhile, hopefully PGA Tour-China gets started back up once the COVID thing is over there.

I don't have any choice but to drive a car whether it be gas or electric. Both use oil. I can't pick where they get oil from.

The Saudis are bad. Yes we make deals with the devil. Oil is essential golf is not.

The Liv tour has weaker fields. The Liv tour only plays 3 rounds. It pays from royal Saudi money not what is earned.

I don't have to like them or that tour. I don't.

The PGA Tour is part of Americana.

Liv tour is a clown show paid for by royal funny money.

Reactions: The Real SamC
They are not “blackballed”. They took money to play exhibition golf against one another over and over. Meanwhile, pulling the ladder of success up behind them. They can play their exhibitions all day.
No, it mostly outlines that you don’t know much about the subject.
They chose not to play. The Globetrotters don’t play in the NBA. The Savanah Bananas don’t play in MLB.
No it’s not. The Saudi tour is on YOU TUBE for free. YOU TUBE!!!!

And you can tell how many watch on YouTube. The highest rated event got 104K people IN THE WORLD to watch. And that was the first event. Low as 21K later in the year. This is just the Saudi pissing away money. Eventually they will tire of this particular effort and move on.
Yes. The PGA Tour is a merit based system. Anyone who is good enough can play, and there are no guarantees. That is where stars are made. So a handful of stars, who made it through the system, now walk away and leave behind the next generation. It is pulling the ladder up behind you.

Look at LIV Tour fields. And, they want OGWR points? Weaker fields and shorter events. Plus, some team deal or whatever it is. So you are going to give them OGWR points for that over someone playing at a regular tour event?

They pick Greg Norman to lead it and he has had an axe to grind with the PGA Tour for years. It is bizarre. It made him millions upon millions as it did for Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, etc.

Did they get paid a lot of money? Yes. But, the PGA Tour built them and their brands. Got them their sponsors and endorsement deals. Then, the Royal Prince wants to throw around money to try to boost the image of his country.

So, in summary, the LIV tour is a weaker field. They don't play full events or real events. And, they are using Royal Saudi money to pay these guys.

I don't like it from a golf standpoint nor how it is backed and funded.

Exhibitions work.
Year long exhibitions do not work. Do not compare that to one-off special events. Let's say the entire college football season was noting but meaningless bowl games, do you think that would work? Fvck no, no one would care. MLB as one long All-Star season? No one is going to watch that.

They pick Greg Norman to lead it and he has had an axe to grind with the PGA Tour for years.
And Greg has been a grade A asshole for years. I don't think it is a coincidence that most of the LIV golfers also have a reputation for being pricks.

Year long exhibitions do not work. Do not compare that to one-off special events. Let's say the entire college football season was noting but meaningless bowl games, do you think that would work? Fvck no, no one would care. MLB as one long All-Star season? No one is going to watch that.

And Greg has been a grade A asshole for years. I don't think it is a coincidence that most of the LIV golfers also have a reputation for being pricks.
The Saudis, Greg Norman, and a bunch of pricks.

Made a deal with the big fat governor in WV. Wonder who is going to get screwed out of that deal.

The Saudis, Greg Norman, and a bunch of pricks.

Made a deal with the big fat governor in WV. Wonder who is going to get screwed out of that deal.
I've lost a lot of respect for Big Jim over this.

I've always personally liked Jim, but Jesus Christ he is a terrible judge of character. First hitching his wagon to Trump, who turned around and burned him this year by endorsing that no-good SOB and carpetbagger Mooney (who hasn't done jack shit for WV) over Dave McKinley (who has done good for WV, even if I disagree with him on a lot) Now he's kissing the Saudi's ass. Hey Jim, you don't need to kiss anyone's ass.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I've lost a lot of respect for Big Jim over this.

I've always personally liked Jim, but Jesus Christ he is a terrible judge of character. First hitching his wagon to Trump, who turned around and burned him this year by endorsing that no-good SOB and carpetbagger Mooney (who hasn't done jack shit for WV) over Dave McKinley (who has done good for WV, even if I disagree with him on a lot) Now he's kissing the Saudi's ass. Hey Jim, you don't need to kiss anyone's ass.

He can’t be kissing any ass because he’d have to get off that stool.

• Haha
So the masters is a year long event?? Who knew.
Comparing one of the greatest sporting events in the entire world, one that every single player of the sport dreams of winning, to the the LIV or any made for TV sporting event of no importance makes you easily the dumbest person on this board.
Call me shocked that a golf thread would result in you turning the subject to BUT TRUMP. Bahahahaha
Do you disagree that Trump screwed Jim this year? Hell, Google it, Jim had a lot to say about it. Trump, the Saudis, these are not trustworthy people, and Big Jim should know he is in a position to not hitch his wagon to such people. Doesn't matter if Trump is right or left in this case, Jim told him who he preferred for the benefit of WV and Trump didn't give two shits; if Jim were still a Democratic and Biden did that I'd say the same. The royal ragheads don't give a fvck about Jim Justice either.

Jim would be better off to try to get another PGA event, and now that will never happen, because the PGA will not be forgiving when the LIV shuts down (and it will). And if you don't think Jim getting another PGA event is possible, think again: there's another billionaire that won't ever get an event again (whoops, your stupid ass forgot TRUMP is big in golf too!), that alone was a shake up in where the PGA plays.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Comparing one of the greatest sporting events in the entire world, one that every single player of the sport dreams of winning, to the the LIV or any made for TV sporting event of no importance makes you easily the dumbest person on this board.

Do you disagree that Trump screwed Jim this year? Hell, Google it, Jim had a lot to say about it. Trump, the Saudis, these are not trustworthy people, and Big Jim should know he is in a position to not hitch his wagon to such people. Doesn't matter if Trump is right or left in this case, Jim told him who he preferred for the benefit of WV and Trump didn't give two shits; if Jim were still a Democratic and Biden did that I'd say the same. The royal ragheads don't give a fvck about Jim Justice either.

Jim would be better off to try to get another PGA event, and now that will never happen, because the PGA will not be forgiving when the LIV shuts down (and it will). And if you don't think Jim getting another PGA event is possible, think again: there's another billionaire that won't ever get an event again (whoops, your stupid ass forgot TRUMP is big in golf too!), that alone was a shake up in where the PGA plays.
The Greenbrier could har have been a spot for Presidents Cup or PGA event. Even high USGA events.

They have a storied past at the course there.

Not now . Got in bed with the ragheads.

Justice will do what Justice wants. He is not good at taking any advice. Often he acts like he owns the world when in reality, he more often owes the world.

You considering Big Jim a trustworthy person makes you the dumbest MFer on here. The PGA was never coming back to WV…not while Big Jim was around.

But seriously. Who gives a damn. The guys that went to LIV are richer than they could ever be had they remained in the PGA. I don’t blame them for taking the opportunity

Either they are paid millions by Chinese $$, funneled through “American” corporations and the PGA or Saudi $$ paid right to them. You guys getting worked up over a millionaire spat is hilarious.

You considering Big Jim a trustworthy person makes you the dumbest MFer on here. The PGA was never coming back to WV…not while Big Jim was around.

But seriously. Who gives a damn. The guys that went to LIV are richer than they could ever be had they remained in the PGA. I don’t blame them for taking the opportunity

Either they are paid millions by Chinese $$, funneled through “American” corporations and the PGA or Saudi $$ paid right to them. You guys getting worked up over a millionaire spat is hilarious.
We don't like someone messing with golf tradition and especially don't like it when it is the ragheads.

You considering Big Jim a trustworthy person
Please quote where I said these words.
you the dumbest MFer on here
Tell us more about how The Masters is a meaningless exhibition. The Masters, dude.

giphy.gif

The guys that went to LIV are richer than they could ever be had they remained in the PGA
Money ain't everything.
You guys getting worked up over a millionaire spat is hilarious.
We don't like someone messing with golf tradition and especially don't like it when it is the ragheads.
It's not only some vague notion of tradition, it is the objective standards by which we record greatness. LIV is 7 inning baseball with a 300 ft center field fence. Paid for by actual terrorists, btw.

Edit: wrote out something that would have been material justifying a legitimate banning/suspension, due to breaking each and every rule on the HN forum. Thought I was on Pullman Square. Apologies to any poor soul who may have read my original thoughts.

Tell us more about how The Masters is a meaningless exhibition. The Masters, dude.

We don't like someone messing with golf tradition

Pleeeaaase.
You mean the club and tradition that didn’t allow a black member until 1990 or even allow a black to play the course until 1970?

Yeah. It’s meaningless to those that find golf stale and boring. Shit…if it wasn’t for Tiger, reinventing the game decades ago, I’m not sure the game would have even attracted the Saudis today. Very few would care. Most couldn’t tell you who even won the masters last year without looking it up on Google.

Money ain't everything.
Tell that to the staff at Greenbrier…

Jims got a business to run, hotel rooms to fill and employees to pay. The “Saudi money” is nothing more than American money coming back to he states where it originated.

So the masters is a year long event?? Who knew.

Call me shocked that a golf thread would result in you turning the subject to BUT TRUMP. Bahahahaha
well he is the "libertarian" that doesn't like small govt nor the President that made his life better and was cutting regulation.

I could care less, LIV, PGA, European, women's, colligate, I’ll watch them all. I Love Golf.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT