ADVERTISEMENT

Draft

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Is this the most guys we have had drafted and signed a contract in a long time?
Two things come to mind:

This is the last of Doc’s recruits
With 6 guys taken how did we have this much talent and have a losing season.

Last edited:
Football is the ultimate team sport. You can have good, even great players, but opponents exploit weaknesses.

If you have one great corner and one really good safety, your secondary can still not stop anybody. You can have 2 great linemen and still give up a bunch of sacks and be extremely limited in the run game.

You can only hide 1-2 sub par players on the field.

With 6 guys taken how did we have this much talent and have a losing season.
th

Ok, ok, you dont like him, you think you know more than him. You and everyone else thinks coaches can be judged exactly the same now as they always have.

The guy was hired with a plan.

He started working on that plan.

Then bam, everything he knew, and had learned changed. On a dime.

So he had to change it up, he has still managed to keep us consistent and bowl eligible each year. Yes, championships matter. But how about we let him navigate us through this crap and figure it out. Which he seems to be.

We are losing talent, like every other school. We have no idea how other coaches are going to do either, as the sample size is way too small.

But, yes, before you say it, you got me....i dont care about winning, i only care about liking the coaches, yawn.

But, yes, before you say it, you got me....i dont care about winning, i only care about liking the coaches, yawn.
I like that you are leaning into it now... Self-awareness makes life more fun. You should use this as a disclaimer on all your future posts.

On a serious note, two things really derailed last season -- poor quarterback play (which is hard to overcome) and poor game plans (we had multiple conference games where we were never even competitive, and that's simply unacceptable). Im not in the meeting rooms every day, so I dont know who should take the majority of the blame there, but at the end of the day the buck stops with Huff... I dont think I have ever rooted for an assistant coach more than Im rooting for out offensive coordinator this coming season.

Genius level excuse making by Perkins.

Facts are really much more simple. CH is not a head football coach. The people who went around the normal systems to hire him, hopefully, have learned from their huge mistake and will leave things to the AD next time. Although our AD leaves a lot to be desired as well, having been hired by the same people.

For $400K in "savings" (which we will lose much more than that in empty seats alone) we are walking through yet another failure of a season.

Reactions: Elkview
Ok, ok, you dont like him, you think you know more than him. You and everyone else thinks coaches can be judged exactly the same now as they always have.

So he had to change it up, he has still managed to keep us consistent and bowl eligible each year. Yes, championships matter. But how about we let him navigate us through this crap and figure it out. Which he seems to be.

We are losing talent, like every other school. We have no idea how other coaches are going to do either, as the sample size is way too small.

Just stop it. We have been trending down since he took over from Doc. The portal and NIL has absolutely nothing to do with his dumb in game decisions. He's making the same coaching mistakes now that he was making in year one.

Just stop it. We have been trending down since he took over from Doc. The portal and NIL has absolutely nothing to do with his dumb in game decisions. He's making the same coaching mistakes now that he was making in year one.

Who's going to tell Perkins that the entirety of college football is going through the same thing Marshall is, but they do this crazy thing called "winning."

Anyone?

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

Come one man. It’s not about liking or disliking a coach. It’s about winning championships. That’s what he was hired to do and as Docs recruits have left, his win total has went with it also.

Everyone else had the rules changed on them also. Just excuses at the end of the day.

Just excuses at the end of the day.
Yep. The vast majority of the fanbase has moved on to reality. This is a wasted year, thanks to CS, and we need to look forward to, and to shape, the post-CH era of MU football.

The tiny minority of excuse makers were either in, or supporters of, the cabal, who made this massive mistake.

Come one man. It’s not about liking or disliking a coach. It’s about winning championships. That’s what he was hired to do and as Docs recruits have left, his win total has went with it also.

Everyone else had the rules changed on them also. Just excuses at the end of the day.

Right. Everyone else had the rules changed. And last year only 11 or so won championships. The other 130 didn’t.

So let’s see which 11 win this year.

We have no idea what we have. But what we do have is someone that isn’t brand new. Someone who has proven he could adapt and learn throughout his football career.

Right. Everyone else had the rules changed. And last year only 11 or so won championships. The other 130 didn’t.

We have no idea what we have. But what we do have is someone that isn’t brand new. Someone who has proven he could adapt and learn throughout his football career.
He hasn't proven anything. Barely making a low level bowl, losing that bowl, and ending with a losing record is not proving anything.

With each passing season this team continues to decline. As Doc's players leave and his players come in we have gotten worse.

Yes a hundred and some teams didn't, but we're not even competitive. We were fighting not to be dead last in the conference. Period.

Charles Huff is not a good coach.

Again, not having HC experience at any level these days is killer. It's an entirely different time and game since the Donnan/Preutt days. I hope the BOG and Brad don't make the same mistake again.

He hasn't proven anything. Barely making a low level bowl, losing that bowl, and ending with a losing record is not proving anything.

With each passing season this team continues to decline. As Doc's players leave and his players come in we have gotten worse.

Yes a hundred and some teams didn't, but we're not even competitive. We were fighting not to be dead last in the conference. Period.

Charles Huff is not a good coach.

7-6
9-4
6-7

With each passing season this team continues to decline? We have so far, declined, once. One time. Now, if it happens this year, then ok, that would be "with each passing season."

7-6
9-4
6-7

With each passing season this team continues to decline? We have so far, declined, once. One time. Now, if it happens this year, then ok, that would be "with each passing season."
ooohh. We spiked in the middle. I swear you see these coaches like they're Jesus.

2021: 2nd in the division and 5th overall
2022: 3rd in the division and 5th overall
2023: 6th in the division and 10th overall

With each passing season we've gotten less competitive in our conference.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
7-6
9-4
6-7

Huff is terrible as a HC, period. 3 season win/loss record of 22-17, which is much closer to .500 if you remove our FCS wins.
I don’t envy you over the next 9 months, but perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel (new HC) will recharge your batteries….

ooohh. We spiked in the middle. I swear you see these coaches like they're Jesus.

2021: 2nd in the division and 5th overall
2022: 3rd in the division and 5th overall
2023: 6th in the division and 10th overall

With each passing season we've gotten less competitive in our conference.

I am not saying that we "spiked" You cant say we spiked in just a three year period. Just like you cant say wer are getting worse and worse each year.

'Isn't brand new.'
This is his first head coaching gig.

'Proven he can adapt and learn.'
Where has he proven that? Marshall has gotten worse since he's been HC.
If by adapting, you mean leaving town after 2 years, literally anywhere, then yeah, he has been doing a solid job at that.

He's a career Journeyman at this point.

You guys can have as long a pissing match as you need... The bottom line is this is a make-or-break year for Huff (despite Perkins longstanding love of anyone who coaches at MU) and everyone knows it. If we do not improve on last years product, he will be gone, and rightfully so.

Based on what we saw in the spring game, he better have a rabbit in his hat (or the kid from Wake Forest better turn into John Elway) if we are going to win 7 or more games.

Who said anything about winning the national championship? Marshall is NEVER going to win the national championship. CH's job is to field a competitive team at the G5 level. He fielded a bad football team that was not competitive.

I assume you mean "which of those 11" win this year.

Nope. Yeah, I will watch the major teams, but I'm about Marshall. I want to see Marshall do well against the teams it plays. Really care a whole lot more about that than who wins between the Columbus Pros and the Ann Arbor Pros.

And, because I, like most everyone else here but you, understand football and approach it from an adult perspective, I understand that CH will not get the job done.

Again.
We have no idea what we have.
You don't, because the depth of your analysis is "it has Marshall written on it, so it is the beeeeeestttestttt evvvvvver". The analysis of an 11 year old. Everyone else looks at CH with an adult sports fans' eye, and sees a man out of his depth. Everyone else looks at the players and sees people who do not belong at this level.
But what we do have is someone that isn’t brand new. Someone who has proven he could adapt and learn throughout his football career.
He is a career assistant who was mostly in charge of delivering the (then illegal) payments to the players and the weight room.

He will, like your man MS before him, be reabsorbed by the buddy-buddy system and resume being a minor assistant, probably in the SEC.
7-6
9-4
6-7
The fact that you are proud of any of those numbers is truly sad.
With each passing season this team continues to decline?
Yes, anyone with an adult understanding of football knows that this team is worse every year.
Now, if it happens this year, then ok, that would be "with each passing season."
No, you will be here defending CH, as you did losers like MS and DD>

Just like you cant say were are getting worse and worse each year.
Sure I can. We are getting worse and worse each year. Basic understanding of football.

This is a bad football team.

Fire CH.

• Love
I am not saying that we "spiked" You cant say we spiked in just a three year period. Just like you cant say wer are getting worse and worse each year.
See the conference standings from season to season? I certainly can. We have regressed. There is not denying that fact. You just refuse to deny it because you're under some assumption that admitting things are bad means you're a bad fan.

Total Offense
2021: 16th with 456.8 ypg
2022: 57th with 397.9 ypg
2023: 85th with 358.5 ypg

Scoring Offense
2021: 30th with 33.0 ppg
2022: 89th with 24.5 ppg
2023: 102nd with 22.8 ppg

Scoring Margin
2021: +9.20 (Scored 33.0ppg, Allowed 23.8ppg)
2022: +8.50 (Scored 24.5ppg, Allowed 16.0ppg)
2023: -5.90 (Scored 22.8ppg, Allowed 28.7ppg)

The defense has been solid and kept things from being much worse, but since he's been here our offense continued to slide in the wrong direction and thus we've continued to slide down the conference standings.

Reactions: RhinoD
You guys can have as long a pissing match as you need... The bottom line is this is a make-or-break year for Huff (despite Perkins longstanding love of anyone who coaches at MU) and everyone knows it. If we do not improve on last years product, he will be gone, and rightfully so.

Based on what we saw in the spring game, he better have a rabbit in his hat (or the kid from Wake Forest better turn into John Elway) if we are going to win 7 or more games.
Not a pissing match. He just refuses to see the writing on the wall. We have regressed each and every season with Huff.

Last edited:
Reactions: RhinoD
He just refuse to see the writing on the wall. We have regressed each and every season with Huff.
It is not that he refuses to see the writing on the writing on the wall, it is that he is incapable of reading it. In his world, Marshall is the best because it is Marshall. Marshall's coach is the best because he is Marshall's coach. Marshall's QB is the best because he is the QB for Marshall. The views of little kids. It is a circular argument. Whatever Marshall has is the best, because Marshall has it.

The only evolution he is capable of is cyclical. Early in a failed coach's cycle, he posts about his genius, his long resume, etc. As the cycle rolls through and it becomes clear to everyone else that its time to admit it and clean house, he gets more and more desperate with crazier and crazier excuses for why his coach, the greatest coach in the country because it is Marshall's and EVERYTHING Marshall has is the besssssssstessst evvvvvverrrrrr, should not be shown the door.

Of course everyone else want to see next December roll around as soon as it can.

The start of the post CH era.

It is not that he refuses to see the writing on the writing on the wall, it is that he is incapable of reading it. In his world, Marshall is the best because it is Marshall. Marshall's coach is the best because he is Marshall's coach. Marshall's QB is the best because he is the QB for Marshall. The views of little kids. It is a circular argument. Whatever Marshall has is the best, because Marshall has it.

The only evolution he is capable of is cyclical. Early in a failed coach's cycle, he posts about his genius, his long resume, etc. As the cycle rolls through and it becomes clear to everyone else that its time to admit it and clean house, he gets more and more desperate with crazier and crazier excuses for why his coach, the greatest coach in the country because it is Marshall's and EVERYTHING Marshall has is the besssssssstessst evvvvvverrrrrr, should not be shown the door.

Of course everyone else want to see next December roll around as soon as it can.

The start of the post CH era.
I think you're partially right. This does play a role, but in the many posts of his both in his defensive arguments and when calling out a fan or the fan base it comes off as though he believes that as a Marshall fan he must defend the coach no matter what or else he himself would be a bad fan. He once said if you loved something why would you be critical of it. He appears to be unable to separate the school he loves from the employee hired to guide it. By defending the employee that is failing to do his job he is perpetuating the failure of his school. I ask the question. If you love Marshall so much then why would want the person harming it to continue in their position. The only way the two can coexist in your fandom is if winning truly does not matter to you.

Reactions: The Real SamC
The only way the two can coexist in your fandom is if winning truly does not matter to you.
And here is the ah-ha moment for Bleeds... It doesn't matter.

Perkins will show up and be just as delusional whether Marshall goes 1-11 or 11-1. Of course he would prefer to win (everyone prefers to win), but it's not a big deal if we dont. As long as there is some form of a team putting on a MU jersey, that is good enough for him. If there was a Marshall University fan hall of fame, in his mind he would be first ballot and the rest of us would never get in. On some level, every school needs a few guys like that. Blind believers that think running into a coach at Walmart, or going to the call in show, is a lifechanging experience.

But in the real world, schools also need rational fans... Men and women who give their time and money to the university with some expectation that the end result does matter. Winning games matters, winning your conference matters, winning bowl games matters, going to the NCAA tournament matters, etc.

At the end of the day, we are very fortunate here on HerdNation... We have about 98 percent of our regular posters in the rational adult column. We want to win, even expect it, because we've been around winning programs before.

Oh, but we do have an idea of what we have! If you were a real fan, you’d have been at the spring game.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT