ADVERTISEMENT

NIU coaches comment:

Marine03

Platinum Buffalo
Sep 29, 2012
Connecticut
Doesn't set well with me:

"As bad as we played, in my estimation, I'm not going to sit there and make an excuse, because they played well," NIU coach Rod Carey said. "They probably had one of their better nights of the season. You give them credit on that." -

I think that was an average performance at best for us, NIU simply is not on our level, they're on a level of ODU.

Didn't he and Stingley run their mouth about Marshall not being able to be physical for 4 quarters? In a sense, he was right. The game was over after 3 quarters.

Carey got a Rod stuck up his Husky last night. He's Butt Hurt today!

What do you expect the guy to say? It is coachspeak. He has to sell his program to new recruits, starting this morning. Be in CUSA over the MAC or SEC over all others, you will never hear a coach say "well, they are just a lot better than us, it is the conference, they get a better quality of athlete than we do."

He should have said " We got beat by a better team tonight and they whipped us at every level". That was not the herds best game of the season. DJ was not at full power. God help them if he was. Go Herd!

we could have EASILY named the score had that been our "best game of the season"... he is a moron and his team is a typical slow ass MAC team that we made a living out of wiping the floor with back in the day...

respect? show some and you might just get some...

NIU coach was pissed, surprised and looking for a place to hide
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Marine03:
I get him being pissed a bit, no reason to throw the ball at the end. Oh well, fvck em they deserved it.
Sure there was. Our seniors were in their last game. They wanted to keep playing and they've earned that.

It was two guys playing pitch & catch at the end. Bubble screens and 5 yard outs. Two guys that have been playing together since they were 7 years old, they didn't want it to end! In the end it was no different than running up the gut and getting cheap shottted.

His using his timeouts at the end was bush league.

Get over it, you got your ass handed to you!

Go Herd! Thanks to the Seniors for 4 great years!

If you are going to use your timeouts with 2 minutes left when you are down by 30 then we are going to run our offense. Doc was mad as well. No reason to delay the end of the game like that.

I wish we would have went deep.

If you get spanked every year in a bowl game by the one good team you play it probably gets old in a hurry.

A schedule full of Big10 bottom feeders and MAC teams gets you delusions of grandeur each season only to be let down with yet another holiday beating.

Originally posted by Dunk#7:
If you are going to use your timeouts with 2 minutes left when you are down by 30 then we are going to run our offense. Doc was mad as well. No reason to delay the end of the game like that.

Me too. We did run the offense, but it was really just a first down offense not trying to put points up offense. What was the big deal in that?

Well, the NIU head coach should have stated that we were a great team and highly underrated, so as to make his ass stomping not look so bad, but I digress...

As far as letting Cato stay in and keep throwing: I think Doc had been criticized all season for pulling Cato so early in games that he owed it to Cato and the fans to let him stay in there. We went soft on play calling toward the very end anyways, but why not let Cato get as great of stats as possible? It was the last game of his college career.

How can some of you be so fvcking blind and use such selective memory? Yes, NIU started using their timeouts with two minutes on the clock. Why? Because on 1st down with 2:30 left, Marshall came out throwing it instead of just running out the clock. So, NIU doesn't use a timeout after the first time Marshall did it. Then, again on first down with 2:01 to go, Marshall came out throwing again. Only after doing it a second time in a row, both on first downs, did NIU start using timeouts.

You our wished Marshall had taken a shot deep? They did! Even the announcer commentated he didn't know why Marshall was doing that.

I understand the bias, but come on. At least be a little honest with yourself.

Pretty sure we started throwing and then NIU used their timeouts, Dunk.

I thought the reason behind throwing theball late was twofold. (1) Doc wanted to give Cato and Shu one last chance to play together, and (2) NIU was taking cheap shots and running their mouths the whole game. I think our staff had enough of their classless garbage.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by riflearm2:

How can some of you be so fvcking blind and use such selective memory? Yes, NIU started using their timeouts with two minutes on the clock. Why? Because on 1st down with 2:30 left, Marshall came out throwing it instead of just running out the clock. So, NIU doesn't use a timeout after the first time Marshall did it. Then, again on first down with 2:01 to go, Marshall came out throwing again. Only after doing it a second time in a row, both on first downs, did NIU start using timeouts.

You our wished Marshall had taken a shot deep? They did! Even the announcer commentated he didn't know why Marshall was doing that.

Pretty much. Desmond Howard absolutely asked out loud why we were throwing deep and not running out the clock.

The end of that game was a mess.

I'm not blasting Doc - the NIU coach ran his mouth. It is what it is, though.

Here's the play log:

MARSHALL drive start at 02:43.
1-10 Marshall 03 CATO, Rakeem pass complete to SHULER, Tommy for 12 yards to the MARSHALL15, 1ST DOWN P26
MARSHALL (LEMON, Rasheen).
1-10 Marshall 15 CATO, Rakeem pass complete to SHULER, Tommy for 4 yards to the MARSHALL19 (SANTACATERINA).
2-6 Marshall 19 Timeout NIU, clock 01:57.
2-6 Marshall 19 CATO, Rakeem rush for loss of 1 yard to the MARSHALL18.
3-7 Marshall 18 Timeout NIU, clock 01:53.
3-7 Marshall 18 BUTLER, Steward rush for 7 yards to the MARSHALL25, 1ST DOWN MARSHALL R27

They had 3 timeouts. As a coach, you can't just run it 3 times and kick the ball back with 2 minutes left on the clock. We had to run our offense and pick up first downs. You can't just assume that they were going to let the time run out when they could have easily stopped us and scored again.

I would have done the same thing.

Originally posted by Penn2moss:
They had 3 timeouts. As a coach, you can't just run it 3 times and kick the ball back with 2 minutes left on the clock. We had to run our offense and pick up first downs. You can't just assume that they were going to let the time run out when they could have easily stopped us and scored again.

That's fine, but we were up by 29 points.

Again, I think NIU's coach got what he deserved but it was clear to me Doc was simply extending his middle finger and telling Carey to sit and spin on it. And I'm fine with that.

Originally posted by Penn2moss:

Christ. Some of you guys are unbelievable. Marshall took possession at 2:45. On first down, running the ball takes off at least 5 seconds. Allowing a two second delay for the play clock to start, Marshall could snap it on second down at about the 1:58 mark. Another five second play, two seconds, and the 40 second play clock means Marshall could snap it on third down at 1:11. Another five second play, two seconds, then the 40 second clock means Marshall would have snapped it on fourth down at 24 seconds. At the very worst even if Marshall didn't get a first down running it three times, they could have had to give it up with less than 30 seconds.

If you are so afraid to punt it with 24 seconds on the clock up 30 points, then throw it on third down. If NIU starts burning timeouts when you are trying to run the clock out, then do what you want and throw it. But these arguments to defend Marshall are pathetic when it's clear Marshall was the one still attacking.

Originally posted by ChrisRMcLaughlin:

Here's the play log:

1-10 Marshall 03 CATO, Rakeem pass complete to SHULER, Tommy for 12 yards to the MARSHALL15, 1ST DOWN P26

1-10 Marshall 15 CATO, Rakeem pass complete to SHULER, Tommy for 4 yards to the MARSHALL19 (SANTACATERINA).

3-7 Marshall 18 BUTLER, Steward rush for 7 yards to the MARSHALL25, 1ST DOWN MARSHALL R27
That's actually not the complete log of the final drive. But that doesn't matter.

Watch the film, we were not "throwing it deep" on the long incompletion. It was the same play call to Shuler as before, the DB had jumped the route and Cato just heaved it out of bounds.

The timeouts after Cato's run and Butler's run were bush league. You got your ass handed to you, get over it.

The usual suspects love to jump on the Herd for any reason.

Originally posted by CockyHerd:
Originally posted by ChrisRMcLaughlin:

Here's the play log:

That's actually not the complete log of the final drive. But that doesn't matter.

Watch the film, we were not "throwing it deep" on the long incompletion. It was the same play call to Shuler as before, the DB had jumped the route and Cato just heaved it out of bounds.

The timeouts after Cato's run and Butler's run were bush league. You got your ass handed to you, get over it.

The usual suspects love to jump on the Herd for any reason.
I know it's not the complete log of the final drive. I just pulled those plays to show NIU started calling timeouts after we threw the ball.

You could very well be right about the long ball. Seemed like Rakeem was just getting rid of it.

And I hope you're not labeling me as one of the usual suspects. I have no problem with how Doc called the end of the game. Like I said, NIU's coach ran his mouth and Doc gave him the middle finger.

Expected him to show some class. Him and his team ran their mouths and it fired the herd up.

Nope.....Definitely don't count you among the usual suspects Chris...........

I loved the final play call. Deciding whether to punt, kneel, etc.......Read Doc's lips during the timeout.

"F'em, go for it."

Great win, great year....Loved this class of Seniors. Tired of the negativity.

We are headed in the right direction. On to 2015......Let's keep this thing going!

Go Herd!

I'm not defending or indicting, but there were no long balls thrown. The passes were clock controlling throws that did exactly what we intended to do...to honor the two players that were the heart and soul of this team and to run out the clock. We never threatened to score nor would we have.

We let 40 seconds tick off after that first completion. You guys act like Doc was trying to score or something.

You try to get first downs until you are able to run the clock out. That is exactly what we did. That isn't poor sportsmanship, that is how you handle the game.

We don't know what Doc/Legg's mentality was, all I know is that I was glad to watch two of the most prolific players we have ever had get to play together till the end of the game one last time. It's over, deal with it and move on. Complaining about it now is like complaining about your taxes from 3 years ago.

Everyone of you are wrong. Tommy Shuler entered the game needing 26 receptions to hit 100 for the season which would have been a college record for back to back to back 100 reception seasons. He finished the game with 18 receptions, 8 short of what he needed. I for one was rooting for him to get it. He still set 2 receiving records last night. Great game and I didnt mind us running the score up on them one bit. BMW as everyone is stating they were short passes and if NIU isn't gonna adjust for that too bad for NIU

This post was edited on 12/24 12:00 PM by breckjimison

This x100.

Originally posted by breckjimison:
Everyone of you are wrong. Tommy Shuler entered the game needing 26 receptions to hit 100 for the season which would have been a college record for back to back to back 100 reception seasons. He finished the game with 18 receptions, 8 short of what he needed. I for one was rooting for him to get it. He still set 2 receiving records last night. Great game and I didn't mind us running the score up on them one bit.
He entered that last series with no possible way to get that 100 reception mark. We drained the clock after the first reception. There is no way that record was the objective heading into the last series.

Originally posted by GK4Herd:

Originally posted by breckjimison:
Everyone of you are wrong. Tommy Shuler entered the game needing 26 receptions to hit 100 for the season which would have been a college record for back to back to back 100 reception seasons. He finished the game with 18 receptions, 8 short of what he needed. I for one was rooting for him to get it. He still set 2 receiving records last night. Great game and I didn't mind us running the score up on them one bit.
He entered that last series with no possible way to get that 100 reception mark. We drained the clock after the first reception. There is no way that record was the objective heading into the last series.
No GK, the guy with one post says we're all wrong.

If memory serves me well, the last time we used the V formation, we fumbled the ball. Also, we were on the 3 yard line, you don't think NIU was going to be putting 9 guys in the box? Our best offense has been passing and our receivers have had very few fumbles this year. Those last plays were some of the safest passes and none were incomplete so the clock didn't stop. We threw one ball deep that was just a throw away after the defender jumped the route. I am one of the most conservative-like-minds when it comes to football and I don't see anything wrong with our last series.

I will say, I also think they were trying to get Shuler the CUSA receptions record and probably working on that 100 receptions record as well. But they realized it wasn't going to happen so they scaled back. The NIU coach should have known who was throwing and who was catching, and not had a problem with it. Cato wasn't looking at anyone but Shuler. It was best friends playing until the last second on their careers together.

To quote spurrier (I think), it's their job to stop us. We were certainly still throwing before they called their timeouts, we were also burning the clock. Their coach got butt hurt we were throwing 5 yard outs and he was powerless to stop it. As far as I'm concerned, you run your mouth in the media about a team not being able to play 4 quarters, you're going to EAD for 60 mins. I hope he had to set on a donut the whole flight home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT