ADVERTISEMENT

Old Dominion University Basketball Player Collapses During Game

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Likely, another isolated situation. Fortunatley, this turned out ok.

But, are we sitting on a powder keg with these young healthy people?

==================
An Old Dominion University men’s basketball player suffered a terrifying ordeal on Saturday as the team took on Georgia Southern.

The incident occurred with about 13:13 left in the first half. Old Dominion sophomore guard Imo Essien was on the defensive side of the ball when he fell onto his backside on the court. He struggled to get back to his feet and started to lay down on his back appearing to be in pain.

Medical personnel for Old Dominion rushed over to attend to Essien. He didn’t appear to lose consciousness and was helped to his feet and walked off the court with the trainers.

"Imo Essien was evaluated by the ODU Athletic Training staff along with the GA Southern medical staff," the school stated. "He was responsive throughout and was able to sit with the team for the duration of the game and drove home with the team."

he sat on the bench with the team the rest of the game and will be evaluated by a cardiologist on Monday. He had a “noncovid” virus last week.

Maybe the new congress could look into all these events happening over and over. Instead of saying people have on tin foil hats or nothing to see here, at least see why this keeps happening to young people

Reactions: KyMUfan
Maybe the new congress could look into all these events happening over and over. Instead of saying people have on tin foil hats or nothing to see here, at least see why this keeps happening to young people
Young athletes dying from sudden cardiac issues isn’t a new phenomenon. Is it more prevalent or just more frequently reported? That’s the key

Young athletes dying from sudden cardiac issues isn’t a new phenomenon. Is it more prevalent or just more frequently reported? That’s the key
I don't know maybe someone should investigate .

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 2,000 young, seemingly healthy people under age 25 in the United States die each year of sudden cardiac arrest.

It's already being looked into.

I don't know maybe someone should investigate .
My guess would be national center for catastrophic sports injury research at UNC is looking into any increase incidences in fatalities and any increase in sudden cardiac arrest from youth sports on up.

*I just briefly looked at the numbers from the ccsir at they don’t have 2022 data yet but the 2020-2021 data doesn’t appear to show an abnormal spike in catastrophic injuries. In fact there was a spike in 2015/16 of 106 catastrophic injuries, head and neck cardiac heat stroke etc, resulting in death or impairment but recovered, in the 20/21 academic year there were 60.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT