ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Porter

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Has anyone heard if Mr Porter is going to return for a final year with the Herd football team? He is a force to be reckoned with. I hope he does return.

Has anyone heard if Mr Porter is going to return for a final year with the Herd football team? He is a force to be reckoned with. I hope he does return.
According to Huff, Porter is still "gathering information." The eerdiots have tried to buy him.

I hate the portal and NIL. In. my opinion you should still have to sit out of year if you transfer. NIL aside, that COULD still be a rule.
I would be all for giving players up to the completion of their sophomore season to transfer without penalty. There cases where players realize they made a mistake in choosing the school they did. They should get a mulligan. After you've completed your sophomore season you then have abide by the old transfer rules. This would cut down on the amount of upperclassman players that are more than likely major contributors leaving.

I like where you're going with this.
Coaches leave, they pay a buyout.
If players leave, they pay back the University the COA.
We'll through a low figure in, say $25K per year at said school.
Wanna leave after 1 year, $25K to be released. After 2 years, $50K.
I like it!!
As long as the new school pays the buyout for the players, as they do the coaches, then I don’t see a problem.

If coaches can do it then why not allow the players?

I'm ok with players getting paid, and I am ok with players transferring. But coaches don't go to 4 teams in 4 years. Its very rare that they transfer often. So since each scenario is different, then putting in a 1 year waiting period for players transferring, it equals the scenarios out. Or perhaps a 1 year waiting period if they transfer a 2nd time. Something to slow down the mass annual exodus that has become a trend of entitlement instead of what it was designed to do.

You mean as long as the new school has the option to do it....

If a coach wants to leave then its on them to settle the contract... so yes, as long as its on the player to settle the contract. We may be saying the same thing here.
Here’s another wrinkle. Do the players get paid for the remainder of their scholarship if they get cut after the first, second or third year? If coaches are fired, before their contract expires, they usually receive a nice settlement.

Here’s another wrinkle. Do the players get paid for the remainder of their scholarship if they get cut after the first, second or third year? If coaches are fired, before their contract expires, they usually receive a nice settlement.
No- here's the difference- they are still students, and amateur athletes. If a student get a full ride for academics coming out of high school, then fails out of college, they don't get a check for their remaining funds. Similarly if an amateur athlete doesn't do well in their sport, they don't just get a handout.

The problem is lumping professional coaches in with amateur athletes simply because they participate in the same sport. A college professor has different rules and regulations than a college student.

In most cases scholarships are year to year. Very seldom does a HC pledge a guaranteed four years. Players are cut or encouraged to leave all the time. So technically a player's "deal" with the school is done at the end of the year.

This was brought more to light when that Tulsa MBB player was suing because injuries took him off the court and Tulsa wouldn't honor his scholarship so he could finish his degree.

We've seen the discussions on here about players we wanted Dan to encourage to leave last season.

To be honest I don't care what they do. What I do have an issue with is coaches are able to call other players on active rosters and try to buy them away. That shouldn't be allowed. According to Huff we've had current players being courted by other schools. WVU has reached out to Porter trying to see his price. That's ridiculous.

Reactions: FootballArmy
I agree, that is not good. They really cant do that. It is a little different when some schools start earlier than others, so some can make mistakes. I am sure this will be something that is fixed. BUT, to think that this is just now starting because of the Portal or the NIL is comical and I have to assume you are just complaining, and you dont truly realize that this has taken place for DECADES!

I agree, that is not good. They really cant do that. It is a little different when some schools start earlier than others, so some can make mistakes. I am sure this will be something that is fixed. BUT, to think that this is just now starting because of the Portal or the NIL is comical and I have to assume you are just complaining, and you dont truly realize that this has taken place for DECADES!
Not to the extent it is now or how flippant it is. This is on a whole other level. They no longer have to hide it and there really is no policing it at this point. You might have had a couple star players here and there getting a car or their parents get a house. The bigger schools taking brief cases of case on recruiting visits for the prized recruits.

Now it's open season on any and all players people want on anyone's roster.

In most cases scholarships are year to year. Very seldom does a HC pledge a guaranteed four years. Players are cut or encouraged to leave all the time. So technically a player's "deal" with the school is done at the end of the year.

This was brought more to light when that Tulsa MBB player was suing because injuries took him off the court and Tulsa wouldn't honor his scholarship so he could finish his degree.

We've seen the discussions on here about players we wanted Dan to encourage to leave last season.

To be honest I don't care what they do. What I do have an issue with is coaches are able to call other players on active rosters and try to buy them away. That shouldn't be allowed. According to Huff we've had current players being courted by other schools. WVU has reached out to Porter trying to see his price. That's ridiculous.
Actually it’s the norm now to have a 4 yr scholarship for FB, though it is up to the school

The NCAA has allowed colleges to provide multiyear scholarships since 2012. Additionally, in 2015, NCAA D1 colleges from the Power Five conferences (colleges in the Football Bowl Subdivision, plus Notre Dame) agreed to implement a rule that prevented multi-year D1 scholarships from being canceled or not renewed for any athletic reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT