ADVERTISEMENT

Rifle - HC question

You got any opinion or info on Willie Simmons at FAMU?

I know of him but don’t know him. Ralph Street is close with him. They coached at three straight schools together.

The jump from HBCU head coach to FBS head coach is a big one that doesn’t usually happen. Deion, of course, and Jay Hopson are the only two I can think of in the past 20 years.

Reactions: elginherd
I know of him but don’t know him. Ralph Street is close with him. They coached at three straight schools together.

The jump from HBCU head coach to FBS head coach is a big one that doesn’t usually happen. Deion, of course, and Jay Hopson are the only two I can think of in the past 20 years.
I just like that he has almost 10 years being a head coach, coaches QBs, has recruiting ties in the south, and wins. Plus he only makes $300k and is still young for a HC.

He is someone I would at least have a conversation with.

Simmons has been offered the RB job at Duke. FAMU will try and match/beat the financial offer. Probably not a good indication if we offered a guy whose best option is the Duke RB job.

My understanding is WS would get a AHC tag if he comes to Durham. Longtime friend of MD. Or he may be angling for a raise from A&M.

Simmons has been offered the RB job at Duke. FAMU will try and match/beat the financial offer. Probably not a good indication if we offered a guy whose best option is the Duke RB job.
I see him as a winner and would take the shot based on what he’s accomplished. A guess there are a lot of the people in the profession that, like you, discount his record because of where he coaches. 👀

there are a lot of the people in the profession that, like you, discount his record because of where he coaches. 👀
There are major differences between being a head coach at an HBCU compared with a Duke.

In fairness to you, a head coach who is used to academic expectations and requirements at an HBCU doesn't have much adjusting to do if at Marshall. He just has to get used to accepting being referred to as an "experiment" by Marshall fans. But considering Tuskegee, I'm sure that HBCU head coaches will be aware of what to expect in Huntington and the use of "experiment."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT