ADVERTISEMENT

S. Miss writer telling it like it is, "C-USA should dissolve"

Not to mention, FlyHawk, has anybody here thought just what going to the MAC would do to our FOOTBALL RECRUITING, specifically? CUSA gave us a presence in Florida and DOC has mined it very successfully for quality recruits, as our recent record indicates. NO games in FL, even against the likes of FIU and FAU, would adversely affect our recruiting there, IMHO. Now Doc tells recruits from south FL that they will go HOME for a game every season!!! How many future recruits from south FL, and their families, will be enamored about potential games in Ypsilanti, Kalamazoo, Muncie, Buffalo, etc. on cold November Tuesday or Wednesday nights??????

This is a great point and very true.

Also, have to remember that it is a free recruiting trip each year. You know some of our coaches use this flight down there to meet with recruits and stuff. I definitely like having the yearly game in Florida each year.

Seriously, who do you think would really play us at home? Do you have any real idea how difficult it would be to schedule weeks 3-13 without a conference? Absolutely not feasible for MU to go it alone

I respectfully disagree. UMASS is able to pull it off. I'm sorry, but we are a much better football brand and program than UMASS.

Here is their schedule this season

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/umas-m-footbl-sched.html

6 homes games against : Boston College, FIU, Mississippi St, Tulane, La Tech, Wagner

Reactions: andy4theherd
Nice list of ACTUAL circumstances that make this AAC worth more in the next go around.

Really I have no "hate" of this AAC. I have contempt for people that say Bagdad Bob level idiocy. And when you are running a league that everybody who could left and everybody who eventually can (if any) will, and went thorugh the last realignment with pretty much a scenario of the week (none of which panned out) you need to turn the arrogance meter down a couple of notches. It is a "tallest midget" competiton anyway.

Really, I get it. Part of what I will call the ESPN paradigm is to, despite the actual facts, buy into the AAC (not exclusive to the AAC, but it is the least true about it than any other) that being IN a place is the same as being SIGNIFICANT IN that place. In other threads you have bragged about, more or less, extorting people in Conn. to pay in market for UConn, despite their total disinterest in it, as a part of the deal for the Mets channel. I get it. Same with the idea that UC equals not only Cincinnati, but all of Ohio, and that an AAC tie up with ESPN (or whatever) means it can zap people all over Ohio for that esentually fanless team.

And that paradigm worked, and made people rich. As did Blockbuster. Buggy whips. Pay phones. Atari 2600s.

The question is will it continue to? And should third (fourth ? ) tier sports deals like the AAC and CUSA take a totally arrogant approach that nothing has changed, or be proactive.

What I THINK is going to happen (think, don't know, nobody knows) is that college sports is going to something like the Longhorn Network or the SEC Network, except instead of "extorting" everybody to pay for it based on geography and inclusion in complex multi-channel deals with cable and dish companies, a la carte. Channels based around one team, or one conference or one state or region.

And, with a good fan base, a long tradition, and good performance on the field, IMHO, MU is in a better shape in that world than teams, such as Cincinnati that give away tickets to their games and still draw nothing. In fact, CUSA, or at least the top half of it, is in a better shape than the AAC in that world. The main unifying theme of the AAC seems to be fundamental disinterest.

Great post Sam!!! Congrats

First, Marshall does not have 14,000 students. My wife is an on campus academic advisor, keeps me updated on enrollment numbers, and the number is more around 11,000. That's still great for MU, though.

Secondly, Charlotte is not in some great position to suddenly matter in football. Who are they going to recruit in the Carolinas? All of the guys already committed to UNC, USC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, or even Appalachian State?

Well if Siri (iPhone) says so...it must be true
...that #itch is never wrong....he he he I thought the number to be a little on the high side.

CHARLOTTE has only been playing football for a few years. It took Marshall about 85 years to have winning football. I am a mature HERD graduate...it was not until my Junior year (1967-68) that The HERD "Stopped the Streak" against Bowling Green in the mud at old Fairfield. I think Don Nehland [Sp] was head coach for BGSU????

BTW...Charlotte has TON$ of $$$$$$$ and.......... Charlotte area and North & South Carolina high schools have a lot of talented players. Most of the really GOOD ONES leave the area for the SEC, BIG 12, Big 10, Notre Dame.....etc. I can not predict when---but Charlotte will become a factor in CUSA. Just wait until they go recruiting FLORIDA. Unfortunately, Phil did not get the time needed to make an impact in Florida.

In my humble opinion---the 49ers are a great pick by CUSA....They already compete well in all sports other than Football---which takes years to achieve. It is a great academic school too.....another +....

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

I respectfully disagree. UMASS is able to pull it off. I'm sorry, but we are a much better football brand and program than UMASS.

6 homes games against : Boston College, FIU, Mississippi St, Tulane, La Tech, Wagner

And they play S Carolina, BYU & Hawaii.....Petty impressive schedule....Just saying....Plus my son-in-law ran cross country at UMass-Amherst....so I am biased.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Well if Siri (iPhone) says so...it must be true...that #itch is never wrong....he he he I thought the number to be a little on the high side.

CHARLOTTE has only been playing football for a few years. It took Marshall about 85 years to have winning football. I am a mature HERD graduate...it was not until my Junior year (1967-68) that The HERD "Stopped the Streak" against Bowling Green in the mud at old Fairfield. I think Don Nehland [Sp] was head coach for BGSU????

BTW...Charlotte has TON$ of $$$$$$$ and.......... Charlotte area and North & South Carolina high schools have a lot of talented players. Most of the really GOOD ONES leave the area for the SEC, BIG 12, Big 10, Notre Dame.....etc. I can not predict when---but Charlotte will become a factor in CUSA. Just wait until they go recruiting FLORIDA. Unfortunately, Phil did not get the time needed to make an impact in Florida.

In my humble opinion---the 49ers are a great pick by CUSA....They already compete well in all sports other than Football---which takes years to achieve. It is a great academic school too.....another +....

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

You have got to be accurate if you want to be the Herd Nation historian, MU stopped the non winning streak in 1969.

UNCC is a fine school. Charlotte is a fine city.

UNCC has zero football potential. Students self select. If sports are your thing, then you have plenty of choices if you are a young person in NC. If sports are not your thing, you have plenty of other choices, including UNCC. Students who don't like sports grow up to be alumni who don't like sports. As to townies, Charlotte has plenty of things to do, including the NFL and NBA, not to mention being NASCAR's de facto HQ. The competition for attention leaves UNCC sports in the agate type. It is not like Huntington where MU sports are the center of the local scene.

The best marketing strategy for UNCC is to aim at alumni or just followers of schools who have found their way there in search of work, of which MU would be near the top.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
UNCC is a fine school. Charlotte is a fine city.

UNCC has zero football potential. Students self select. If sports are your thing, then you have plenty of choices if you are a young person in NC. If sports are not your thing, you have plenty of other choices, including UNCC. Students who don't like sports grow up to be alumni who don't like sports. As to townies, Charlotte has plenty of things to do, including the NFL and NBA, not to mention being NASCAR's de facto HQ. The competition for attention leaves UNCC sports in the agate type. It is not like Huntington where MU sports are the center of the local scene.

The best marketing strategy for UNCC is to aim at alumni or just followers of schools who have found their way there in search of work, of which MU would be near the top.
I lived in Charlotte for 7 years so here is my 2 cents worth on UNCC. I agree it will be an uphill battle but never ever count out anything from Charlotte I say. They will not be directly recruiting against UNC of course. However if ECU has a dry spell there could be a window. Look at Miami of Ohio. They dominated the football G5 level in Ohio for many years and then Cincy made an in rode and suddenly Ohio hired Solich and further chipped away at their former dominance. I would say they could easily recruit against Appy State and mean no disrespect but unless you like the hills Charlotte will win out every time IMO.Finally I would say there is an appetite for college football in Charlotte that goes beyond the ACC schools that many follow. Remember metro Charlotte is now 2.300,000 million so I don't see appealing to 25,-30,000 fans out of question.

Reactions: herdfan429
And they play S Carolina, BYU & Hawaii.....Petty impressive schedule....Just saying....Plus my son-in-law ran cross country at UMass-Amherst....so I am biased.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Exactly.

I would love to have a schedule with four or five P5 schools on the schedule each year. Why not set our goals to be the BYU of the East?

Could you imagine getting 2 or more P5s on the home schedule? We could actually start to grow the fan base at that point.

We could get home-homes with the MAC schools we wanted. They would love to have our visiting crowds.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Exactly.

I would love to have a schedule with four or five P5 schools on the schedule each year. Why not set our goals to be the BYU of the East?

Could you imagine getting 2 or more P5s on the home schedule? We could actually start to grow the fan base at that point.

We could get home-homes with the MAC schools we wanted. They would love to have our visiting crowds.

One factor here, FlyHawk, is that UMASS is using their ability to get games scheduled at the PATS stadium in Foxboro in order to get these name power teams to play them at "home". Check and see they play other home games against most G5 and FCS schools in their campus stadium at Amherst which, I think, seats about 16,000 or so (and would probably be the WORST home field in CUSA, even below Charlotte, FIU, etc.). Unless we ever have the real need, e.g., sell out crowds over and over, to expand the Joan to 50,000 or so, then don't think we will be able to get 2 P5 teams at home per season regularly, even if then.

You have got to be accurate if you want to be the Herd Nation historian, MU stopped the non winning streak in 1969.

Oh you are so FULL of yourself.....the year is a mere number....I am sure EVERYONE (except you) got my point......GO HEELS

HerdZilla22 In Charelotte (Home to the rising 49ers)

But look at their schedule for next season. I talk to their AD and Assoc AD on average of at least once a week. They are desperate to get into a Football conference. Be careful about assumptions based on very short term data........it gets everybody in trouble in this business

But look at their schedule for next season. I talk to their AD and Assoc AD on average of at least once a week. They are desperate to get into a Football conference. Be careful about assumptions based on very short term data........it gets everybody in trouble in this business

Hey Shoe....surely you know by now "if it ain't about Marshall----it sucks!" UMASS would be great for any conference. They are a few years removed from 1-AA (I can't get away from referring to schools like UMass, Marshall, App State as 1-AA). BTW..how's your family doing...lets' drink a beer sometime.....

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

I lived in Charlotte for 7 years so here is my 2 cents worth on UNCC. I agree it will be an uphill battle but never ever count out anything from Charlotte I say. They will not be directly recruiting against UNC of course. However if ECU has a dry spell there could be a window. Look at Miami of Ohio. They dominated the football G5 level in Ohio for many years and then Cincy made an in rode and suddenly Ohio hired Solich and further chipped away at their former dominance. I would say they could easily recruit against Appy State and mean no disrespect but unless you like the hills Charlotte will win out every time IMO.Finally I would say there is an appetite for college football in Charlotte that goes beyond the ACC schools that many follow. Remember metro Charlotte is now 2.300,000 million so I don't see appealing to 25,-30,000 fans out of question.

ohio herd...."You are spot on about Charlotte & the potential of the 49ers."
Carolina Panthers owner, Jerry Richardson, would not have donated the $$$ he did (got his name on their stadium too) if he did see a BRIGHT FUTURE for 49er football. Some on this board think Charlotte should be a National Power by now...they don't remember Charlotte started playing football less than about eight years ago. Hell, when I attended Marshall---The Herd could not beat Morris Harvey College. Could it be a bit of jealousy by some MU fans? I love MARSHALL (my $$$$$ proves it) with all my heart----but some folks on this board feel..."if it ain't Marshall----it sucks!"

There is an appetite for college football in Charlotte and many of the "new residents" (2.3 million in Charlotte metro) are not loyal to UNC, Duke, NC State, ECU, App State, Wake....I think you get my point. It is amazing what $$$$ can buy and UNCC has a large chest full of the greenbacks. It is amazing the construction they have going on right now---with lots of room to expand further.

UNCC has eyes for bigger things than CUSA....just wait & see.....

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

I don't see UMass as any kind of model. Their schedule this year is not equaled thereafter. I bet they will get into CUSA or the SBC in a few years, or go back to I-AA.

I don't really see BYU prospering as an independant either, in the long run. They belong in the Big 12.

Leaving out scheduling, the two big questions are TV and bowls.

The various TV networks really end up buying more games than they can show. More or less somebody or the other owns the rights to show every game played in every league. So why would anybody pay MU anything? When they can fill that slot with already owned material from a conference. We would end up on local TV a couple of times a year.

We all know how bowls work. Leaving out the idea of going 12-0, no conference means the only available slots would be what slots go unfilled because a conference did not have enough 6-6 teams to fill all its slots, if any.

And then, of course, there is basketball and all the rest. I do not see any mid-majorish (say A10, Missouri Valley, Summit) wanting us and our "we were good 30 years ago" basketball program and our homeless baseball program. We would end up in some joke one-bid league (Big South, CAA, Southland) with schools one half our size.

Hey Shoe....surely you know by now "if it ain't about Marshall----it sucks!" UMASS would be great for any conference. They are a few years removed from 1-AA (I can't get away from referring to schools like UMass, Marshall, App State as 1-AA). BTW..how's your family doing...lets' drink a beer sometime.....

That ugly word - POTENTIAL rearing its ugly head again. I'd lump UMass in the same boat as ODU and UNCC. They've done nothing.

why did they leave the MAC? Seemed like a great fit

Gary,
I know it well..........hard to engage in real discussions on message boards, so many people love to go super negative and engage in name calling, bullying, etc. Its a shame too, these boards certainly didn't start out that way years ago.

Reactions: ohio herd
That is probably not the case because WVU plays socker in the MAC and you know they are not going to join for all sports.

Completely different, you are correct. Football issue and the fact that UMass put them at 13

That is probably not the case because WVU plays socker in the MAC and you know they are not going to join for all sports.

Take a look at Soccer in CUSA and see who plays soccer only in our conference. You might be surprised at a couple teams that plays soccer only in CUSA.

The best is to lobby for ACC inclusion as it makes perfect sense as the possibility that they will be raided by either SEC, Big Ten or Big 12. We belong in the east no doubt! We take care of both Louieville and Pitt and win out it could be a sign to the ACC they need to rethink their options!
ACC power football only became an afterthought because of FSU, Miami, and VT! Still in the Shadows of the SEC!
When DD has the BB team up to the Standard that we can compete on a regular basis which could be coming faster than most of us think then, entry into the ACC could happen!
Another thought was to really turn CUSA into a National conference that is befitting the name!
I know that it was tried but never got traction! No real plans could develop because of all the perceptions by school in the old CUSA about making another league or moving into the now P5! That happened for political reasons not markets!
All of these moves were to consolidate power to a few! That is AntiTrust!
Can anyone imagine what if Rick Tolley's dream had come true where Marshall could have been today!
Marshall has a vision program and is it the right vision that could take the ball and run it out to the max!
Independent's are rare but could we survive and support even that?
Money has beat sports into submission and we are no better off for it!

you guys come up with all these reasons why the MAC sucks.... nobody disputes those.... it may be time to start coming to terms with the fact that Marshall doesn't have a lot of say in where it goes....
Anybody uses DN in Marshall clothing can not be taken seriously!

The best is to lobby for ACC inclusion as it makes perfect sense as the possibility that they will be raided by either SEC, Big Ten or Big 12. We belong in the east no doubt! We take care of both Louieville and Pitt and win out it could be a sign to the ACC they need to rethink their options!
ACC power football only became an afterthought because of FSU, Miami, and VT! Still in the Shadows of the SEC!
When DD has the BB team up to the Standard that we can compete on a regular basis which could be coming faster than most of us think then, entry into the ACC could happen!
Another thought was to really turn CUSA into a National conference that is befitting the name!
I know that it was tried but never got traction! No real plans could develop because of all the perceptions by school in the old CUSA about making another league or moving into the now P5! That happened for political reasons not markets!
All of these moves were to consolidate power to a few! That is AntiTrust!
Can anyone imagine what if Rick Tolley's dream had come true where Marshall could have been today!
Marshall has a vision program and is it the right vision that could take the ball and run it out to the max!
Independent's are rare but could we survive and support even that?
Money has beat sports into submission and we are no better off for it!
OMG!

No, I come here to read stuff like that. The Acc, WOW!! Always makes my day brighter.
Good lord!

A you marshall obsessed MIFART fan ( Morgantown institute for Fire Arson and Riot Training) make my day because like so many Marshall obsessed MIFART fans you live on our boards in fear every day Marshall will do something else to surpass you like our new IAF and soccer field.

Still I chuckle openly at your post, cause let's take a real hard look at the two ACC teams mentioned we are playing this year and while you try to slander us, your own school was PASSED OVER BY THE ACC and they took teams we are playing this year. So if you think we won't ever get into the ACC you may be correct as only time will tell, but we KNOW you will never get into the ACC don't we?

Now go light up another camel and get your self down to walmart, I hear they're having a huge blew and yellar sale!!!!

If they are desperate, they better come off that high horse and be willing to bring that basketball with them. No one wants a UMASS addition for only its football program

I hope and pray hamrick has picked up a phone and put some feelers out for the AAC. To go back to Maxtion would literally cause me to give up my season tix nor would I make the commute 3 times a year to Huntington to watch us play Bowling Green

I hope and pray hamrick has picked up a phone and put some feelers out for the AAC. To go back to Maxtion would literally cause me to give up my season tix nor would I make the commute 3 times a year to Huntington to watch us play Bowling Green

to play devil's advocate...

BG finished 10-4 last season with wins over Maryland and Purdue...and a 3 point loss to the G5 favorite Memphis...

that's 1 less win than North Texas, FAU, Charlotte, and ODU had COMBINED last year.... and ALL those world-beaters are on the schedule this year....

also worth noting... the MAC had 3 teams win 10 or more. CUSA had 2. they had 4 other teams win 8. CUSA had 0... CUSA had 8 out of 13 teams finish with a losing record. the MAC had 6...

Old Dominion just made a 55 million dollar stadium commitment. Charlottes stadium iso state of the art with expansion to 40k easily. FAU has a beautiful new stadium and a growing fan base.

MAC mid week games are empty stadiums and we are the superbowl of every team.

Their fans are fans of Michigan and Ahia State first and Bobcats a distant second.

I know smock doesn't want to travel more than 2 hours and have to fight traffic to get his Sunday column in, sorry that doesn't cut it for me. Just because he can drive there 10 minutes before game time and still get in with no problem, it doesn't make it a good decision.

No MAC, stay CUSA or try for the AAC.

Anybody notice how much this sounds like the posts about CSTV when CUSA made the decision to move away from ESPN and embrace CSTV a number of years ago? So many on these message boards posted with confidence about CSTV's enormous future and the competition that would bring down ESPN.

ESPN is in transition, no question, but for the record, they had a record year financially last year, they simply did NOT meet Disney's growth projections. The entire industry is changing, but that doesn't mean it is going away. If I were going to bet on who survives and who adjusts to the new business models, I'd still put my money on ESPN. The great "shakeup" to which you refer was a layoff of 300 out of 8,000 employees.........31/2 years ago, they laid off 400 out of 6,000. in the 3 years between ESPN added a net of almost 2000 employees....... your reports of their demise, are greatly exaggerated.

That said, the industry is indeed in transition. Fox is now positioned to strongly challenge in the space, but at the same time has committed tremendous resources to rights acquisition, which by the way, is the primary cause of ESPN's headaches (along with cord cutting--- a much misunderstood phenomenon).

Don't look for massive changes in the way either does business in the short term....... in the long term, it will be dictated by how well either or both figure out ways to adjust and particularly new delivery systems direct to the consumer. ESPN has always led the way in technology (WatchESPN being a great example)...... It will be interesting to be sure, but the conclusions on this board are often way over the top and seldom based in reality.

I posted about a year ago, that the TV contract would be dramatically disappointing, even before the slip of the lip at Disney that brought on the stock slide and "panic" about ESPN on wall street.

What will happen to AAC in their next rights negotiation? Sam C believes he knows, but like everyone else, its just an uneducated guess based on oversimplified data.

If the AAC continues to prosper and programs grow, they will see an uptick in rights dollars, if they experience mass defections (won't happen) then they will suffer too. But in the current environment, if I were them, I wouldn't be too concerned, they look to be in demand a couple of years down the road and should be fine.

Great stuff as usual DSHOE. Conf USA suffered from a market valuation in a time in which ESPN and Fox are getting smarter about their product. ESPN just bought half the rights to the Big 10 for 190 million. This is not the move of a company in dire straights.

The AAC is a bargin for ESPN right now. It gives ESPN quality, not great,but quality programing. DSHOE is right,if the AAC continues to perform they are going to get a raise from ESPN. The market valuation for the AAC should be strong enough to also get looks from Fox.

This new Era in sports tv imo,is about finding smart programming that can prove it's worth and then paying the price to keep it.

What is over is the blank cheek given to conferences that do not move the needle in terms of value or brand strength.

The AAC is a bargin for ESPN right now. It gives ESPN quality, not great,but quality programing. DSHOE is right,if the AAC continues to perform they are going to get a raise from ESPN. The market valuation for the AAC should be strong enough to also get looks from Fox.

This new Era in sports tv imo,is about finding smart programming that can prove it's worth and then paying the price to keep it.

What is over is the blank cheek given to conferences that do not move the needle in terms of value or brand strength.

So I guess with this logic the PITT game which has yet to be given a start time and IF and its a big IF an undefeated Marshall team goes up there, and ESPN finds this P5 G5 match up intriguing enough we should get a payout for it not the conference ?

A friend of mine made a great analogy the other day. He used NASCAR and that the little guy, the "independent" used to have a shot, and the ratings just kept climbing. Then all of a sudden the independent couldn't compete anymore and it was the same 10 guys everytime and ratings started to plummet. As we look at ratings in college football today as a class of sport, what do we see? More coverage of the P5 teams and ratings that are unexplainably going down and down and down.

I think CUSA hit a perfect storm of sorts and may recover , I hope we do because college football needs an underdog. Let's face it, watching Oklahoma roll the Eerbillys ever game since they joined the B12 certainly hasn't helped their attendance ,it's only helped their balance sheet.

In the long run, declining attendance will end up costing everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT