ADVERTISEMENT

Sellout crowd?

Lol there is no benefit when you remove nearly 4,000 seats that have a potential to gain money.

It was done to force everyone attending down lower to make the crowd appear larger. It’s a gimmick/scam/lie to potential followers or students to trick them into thinking, wow this Marshall school really fills their stadiums, it just means someone isn’t doing their job.

#RemoveTheTarp
Who isn't doing their job? Spears? DD? The tix office and MU marketing machine? Frankly, I think the uncovered bleachers with 50-100 hearty souls sitting up there makes the place look cheap. It was a poor design and something we are paying for to this day. Not being argumentative, I get your point, but it's the hand we have been dealt and we are trying to make the best of it.

The only way you'll get many people to sit up there is charge maybe $5 a ticket. We'll never do that. I sure as hell won't sit up there. lol!

Who isn't doing their job? Spears? DD? The tix office and MU marketing machine? Frankly, I think the uncovered bleachers with 50-100 hearty souls sitting up there makes the place look cheap. It was a poor design and something we are paying for to this day. Not being argumentative, I get your point, but it's the hand we have been dealt and we are trying to make the best of it.

The only way you'll get many people to sit up there is charge maybe $5 a ticket. We'll never do that. I sure as hell won't sit up there. lol!
Trying to remember when I sat up there...I was up there for WVU when we beat the shit of of them after Charlie Jones's Mom sung, I was up there for the Marquette game the year after they won the NC but most recent times was maybe 1996 when we played Davidson in front of huge crowd. Really not bad seats as I remember but stuffy/hot up there. Too old to make it up there now, my knees are gone!

Who is not doing their job? Anyone in-charge of making Marshall Sports championship programs.

Spears? Not sure yet

DD? I like him, is he doing his job? Questionable

Tix office and marketing? Yeap

Again looking cheap, bleachers looking nasty or no one sitting in them still makes zero sense to remove potential revenue for the school/program.

“I get your point,” GOOD!

And who is this “WE” you speak of, are you part of this tarpping of the bleachers? If so maybe you are some of the problem, just sayin.

With our current team seems like a good idea to charge maybe 5$+ a seat for upper bleachers, oh wait we can’t THEY HAVE A TARP ON THEM!

#RemoveTheTarp

Who is not doing their job? Anyone in-charge of making Marshall Sports championship programs.

Spears? Not sure yet

Again looking cheap, bleachers looking nasty or no one sitting in them still makes zero sense to remove potential revenue for the school/program.

And who is this “WE” you speak of, are you part of this tarpping of the bleachers? If so maybe you are some of the problem, just sayin.

With our current team seems like a good idea to charge maybe 5$+ a seat for upper bleachers, oh wait we can’t THEY HAVE A TARP ON THEM!

#RemoveTheTarp
Unless we were to get a postseason home game, point is mute for this basketball season anyway. In the meantime, Let us know what Spears says about them being tarped. Interested to know the "correct" reason since there are so many opinions as to why.....I mean, it's obviously lost revenue if they could have been sold. I think they probably know that.....

It’s to enhance the atmosphere and also sell all of the premium priced seats In the lower sections. I think it’s a good idea.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If you know you're not going to sell out the place, then tarping off a significant amount of nose bleed seating is probably a good idea. Less areas to have to clean, less people scattered throughout the place, and best of all, provides you with a better home court advantage by having more fans closer to the court. Plus, it looks better that one or two times per year the game is on TV. This is all about the inability to sell out the place. Any excuse other than that is simply an excuse.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It’s to enhance the atmosphere and also sell all of the premium priced seats In the lower sections. I think it’s a good idea.
We all get why they did it, just about any school that sees smaller crowds then the max capacity think it’s great to tarp off seats.
I think it’s stupid, that’s my honest humble unbiased opinion.
Why not just leave them uncovered but off limits, and if there is a point when you sell out you still have gate tickets available for anyone wanting to join the event.

ghgh2 - just curious: Do you also support removing the tarps at the Joan?
Absolutely! Putting tarps on bleachers is stupid unless you have a legit reason for people to not be on them (structural damage, remodeling, or something like that)

I’ve talked many times about the football tarps.

Show up sometime and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

See for yourself and add to the reasons to no longer need tarps.
Sure, I'll drive 400 miles to watch a 75 year old basketball coach lead a team in a conference where 80% of the participants do so as a token effort, just to check out the tarps.

I just googled it and found it. It's those gray Walmart tarps.

• Haha
Reactions: goherdorgohome2

Spears? Not sure yet

#RemoveTheTarp
LOL! We can't change a DAMN thing about what MU is doing. Unless you have a direct line to Spear and Smith, you're wasting your time. Maybe you should call them, obviously you feel you are correct and they are wrong. I've enjoyed the atmosphere this season, that's just me. But then again, having gone to MU sporting events for 40 plus years, never gets old. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly.

Beer or no beer, every aisle in the upper bowl and above should have had hand rails installed in 1981. Law suit waiting to happen.

I don’t mind the loss of seating capacity as much I do the wasted space. Put in sky boxes, put in a restaurant, put in a team shop. I just hate space going to waste.

Reactions: RhinoD
I posted this on another thread.

2017-2018 Average Attendance 5,630 (NCAA year)
2018-2019 Average Attendance 6,023 (John/CJ's SR Year)
Other factor to consider those numbers were prior to covid and now the easy accessibility to get all games on ESPN+

Our Highest attended game this year was 5,719, take that as our base number then subtract the average attendance of 6,023.... we are historically missing out on an average of 304 individuals. 304 at $15 dollars a ticket is $4,560 loss revenue per game. A conservative number for how much profit Marshall is getting out of beer sales would be $5 per can. That means we would have to sale about 912 cans per game, so 16% of our fans need to be buying at least one beer to break even.

Now other factors to consider:
1. Shutting off the upper seats makes sure nobody attending a game has a really bad seat thus bad experience. If you have been up there, you know they are horrible seats and anybody over 35 is not going to like it.
2. Shutting off the upper seats keeps people from buying $15 dollars seats and then moving down to the more expensive seats.
3. Shutting of the upper seats probably actually lowered their insurance premium, also probably need less security staff. Thus more savings.
4. Shutting off the upper seats has all of a sudden made the basketball ticket a hot ticket in town, allowing business to get rid of those bulk tickets they have bought. Something they most certainly couldn't do in the past.
5. Shutting off the upper seats makes the arena look more full and the crowds seem more engaged.

A couple of other things that need to be mentioned is loss of concessions need to be factored in this, but I would say that is offset by no more of the 4 for $44 promos being done.

Other factor to consider those numbers were prior to covid and now the easy accessibility to get all games on ESPN+

Our Highest attended game this year was 5,719, take that as our base number then subtract the average attendance of 6,023.... we are historically missing out on an average of 304 individuals. 304 at $15 dollars a ticket is $4,560 loss revenue per game. A conservative number for how much profit Marshall is getting out of beer sales would be $5 per can. That means we would have to sale about 912 cans per game, so 16% of our fans need to be buying at least one beer to break even.

1. Shutting off the upper seats makes sure nobody attending a game has a really bad seat thus bad experience. If you have been up there, you know they are horrible seats and anybody over 35 is not going to like it.
2. Shutting off the upper seats keeps people from buying $15 dollars seats and then moving down to the more expensive seats.
3. Shutting of the upper seats probably actually lowered their insurance premium, also probably need less security staff. Thus more savings.
4. Shutting off the upper seats has all of a sudden made the basketball ticket a hot ticket in town, allowing business to get rid of those bulk tickets they have bought. Something they most certainly couldn't do in the past.
5. Shutting off the upper seats makes the arena look more full and the crowds seem more engaged.

A couple of other things that need to be mentioned is loss of concessions need to be factored in this, but I would say that is offset by no more of the 4 for $44 promos being done.
Well done!

#TarpTheSeats

That's a great summary. I still say just install a railing up to the top. It can't be that hard.

.A conservative number for how much profit Marshall is getting out of beer sales would be $5 per can.

Wrong.
That means we would have to sale about 912 cans per game, so 16% of our fans need to be buying at least one beer to break even.

Yes, potential customers, 99% of which would know exactly what they were getting, having been there many times before, would rather be turned away as be allowed to buy the seats they want.
So do cops and ushers. So does selling all the better seats. Which involves results against teams that matter.
No. The state charges a fixed rate per budget dollar. But, once again, this move has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEER. The beer story is just spin. I actually have never heard anyone in actual authority say it, just internet posters. But is CS or whoever actually said that, its a lie. But AFAIK its just something somebody on the internet made up.
No, it makes the arena look like what it is, one that has to tarp over seats because it cannot sell them, even with a supposedly good record.

No, it makes the arena look like what it is, one that has to tarp over seats because it cannot sell them, even with a supposedly good record.
From whose viewpoint?
Yours, because you go to all of the games and have seen it with your own eyes?
or
You’re just continuing to spout this bullshit to make yourself feel better?

I can tell you this: I have not been to a game in a couple of years. Love watching the tv games, and I’m sure lots of other oot Herd fans do as well. Unlike in football, where it’s either full or looks pathetically empty, in basketball the Cam looks great! Most seats occupied, fans having a great time and the noise generated by said fans is more focused on the court as it should be.

The tarps have had the same effect as football by bringing the crowd closer to the action. They've also been used on the seats that are not used enough to matter in the long run.

What should they do from here? I would add about 5 rows of upper chairbacks on each side of the Cam with would bring us back above 6,000 seats. Then add the new A/C units to help the higher sections. Finally, turn the east wall into a huge Window and put a new facade on the front of the Henderson center to widen the concourse and give more curb appeal. Also, we need a full fan shop like in the Joan.

Last sat in Herd Hell when Memphis and Calipari played here. Unless you were Gumby it was miserable up there and dangerous. Renovate with additional chairbacks and reasonable comfort features then burn the damn tarps.

Reactions: RhinoD
How in the world can you build a large arena in probably the hottest city in WV and not include air conditioning?

Trying to remember when I sat up there...I was up there for WVU when we beat the shit of of them after Charlie Jones's Mom sung, I was up there for the Marquette game the year after they won the NC but most recent times was maybe 1996 when we played Davidson in front of huge crowd. Really not bad seats as I remember but stuffy/hot up there. Too old to make it up there now, my knees are gone!
No doubt you were there for the Marquette game, as was I, but they won the NC about 5 years prior to the HC opening. The MU vs MU game in Htgn was 7 years after their NC season.

Reactions: 19MU88
No doubt you were there for the Marquette game, as was I, but they won the NC about 5 years prior to the HC opening. The MU vs MU game in Htgn was 7 years after their NC season.
That was an epic comeback victory! Down 25 at the break, and towards the end the Cam was really rocking! Believe I too was up in hell….

Reactions: GreenDuke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT