ADVERTISEMENT

SHR; WVU AD On Rivalries

WVU has no "P5 regional rivals". It decided to join the Big 2, Little 8, rather than the conference it belonged in (the AAC) and whatever relationship it had with Pitt, Penn State, and Maryland went out the window. All three found a home in true major conferences, and then the Big 2 left the Littles behind and the Little Leftovers have become a random mix of former G5s, Pac 12 rejects, and the original Littles. No rivals.

We do not need to play WVU. We are fine with our SBC schedule, a cupcake, a couple of MACers or the AAC, and a step up game for $$. There is nothing in WVU that we need.

This will be a marquee matchup now that WVU is back in a G5 league...

Seriously though, the only way MU should agree to play WVU is if its a home/away two year deal, or a 5-game series, 3 there, 2 in the Joan... Anything less than that and they can kick rocks.

I guess they have finally figured out that no one outside of Morgantown gives a rats ass about watching their shitty team play Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Kansas every year so they are begging regional teams to get them back on the schedule. They would never admit this, but they need Pitt and Penn State way more than Pitt and Penn State need them.

I guess they have finally figured out that no one outside of Morgantown gives a rats ass about watching their shitty team play Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Kansas every year so they are begging regional teams to get them back on the schedule. They would never admit this, but they need Pitt and Penn State way more than Pitt and Penn State need them.
Understand that Spamite athletics exist for two very different reasons.

- As it relates to its hill jack red neck non-alumni fan base, it really doesn't matter who they play. This is why paying millions to get in the Big 2, Little 8 was a bad move. These people will believe anything they are told. These are not bright people. Over the decades, whatever was going on, they were told it was the same as major college football, and they believed it. The Lambert Least, the original Big Least, the sad Leastleftovers, heck, even the SoCon of the 1960s. They would have been just fine watching the AAC, and bought into the "P6" idiocy deeper than UCF's 473 fans did.

- As it relates to its students, WVU is trying to market itself among the 100s of choices that rich kids have. Rich kids have a lot of options. They can self-select a place they fit. WVU's pitch is: virtually open admission/cupcake academics, ultra-low WV taxpayer subsidized tuition, a drunken "Animal House" culture, and, and this is important, "major college sports". In most states, the schools named for the state or which otherwise have "major" sports at the top levels are HARD to get into. Most kids don't get in, even in-state. So here is WVU, cheaper than home in most cases, and having the big sports that Montclair State, or Slippery Rock, or SUNY Stony Brooke, or Frostburg State, or Radford, do not. In the past, often against the schools they really wanted to go to (Pitt, Penn State, Virginia, Maryland, etc.) which turned them down. Now they are playing schools in flyover states that most of these northeastern types have no interest in. Again, a big mistake to join the Big 2, Little 8. One big reason they are in financial trouble.

Reactions: RhinoD
I'd still love to play them in every sport, every year. We do need them, and we need to beat them. It's a competition for students, support, and pride. Just like beating OU, ECU, VaTech, NCSU, Notre Dame; they all matter.
WVU doesn't matter to us. Sorry. They just dont.

i think about the Morgantown school about once a week when I go to Walmart for groceries. I see people who never graduated from high school buying their T-shirts off the discount racks.

Reactions: The Real SamC
How can you say that? If we start playing WVU and winning, local recruiting would flourish. We can’t even land most 3 star recruits in the tri state..I want the game back and I want to see the Herd finally beat that azz!
It's clear it's in our best interest. Most valuable home game we could have. I hate them too and agree we don't "need" but a recurring home game with them is good for us.

WVU has no "P5 regional rivals". It decided to join the Big 2, Little 8, rather than the conference it belonged in (the AAC) and whatever relationship it had with Pitt, Penn State, and Maryland went out the window. All three found a home in true major conferences, and then the Big 2 left the Littles behind and the Little Leftovers have become a random mix of former G5s, Pac 12 rejects, and the original Littles. No rivals.

We do not need to play WVU. We are fine with our SBC schedule, a cupcake, a couple of MACers or the AAC, and a step up game for $$. There is nothing in WVU that we need.
WVu had no invite to the ACC

How can you say that? If we start playing WVU and winning, local recruiting would flourish. We can’t even land most 3 star recruits in the tri state..I want the game back and I want to see the Herd finally beat that azz!
I don't know. Most kids around here want to go away and play against the big boys, in big stadiums. I'd like to keep them all, but you can't blame an 18 year old for wanting a change of scenery. jmo

I don't know. Most kids around here want to go away and play against the big boys, in big stadiums. I'd like to keep them all, but you can't blame an 18 year old for wanting a change of scenery. jmo
You can if that means Morgantown...

WVU doesn't matter to us. Sorry. They just dont.

I must not be a part of this “us” you are talking about. It matters to me. Playing them matters to me. Playing them clearly matters to others as well just look at attendance numbers in all other sports when we get to play them. Not playing them sucks for everyone.

I must not be a part of this “us” you are talking about. It matters to me. Playing them matters to me. Playing them clearly matters to others as well just look at attendance numbers in all other sports when we get to play them. Not playing them sucks for everyone.
Agreed! It’s a guaranteed sellout. Make it a night game and people will stay in hotels and fill up restaurants. It would be a win-win for our bottom dollar and also help the city of Huntington. We don’t get that impact for a day game against a Norfolk State or someone comparable.

We don't need to sell our soul for it though. 2for 1 in football and 1for1 in B'ball would be needed. jmho.

Agreed! It’s a guaranteed sellout. Make it a night game and people will stay in hotels and fill up restaurants. It would be a win-win for our bottom dollar and also help the city of Huntington. We don’t get that impact for a day game against a Norfolk State or someone comparable.
I think you and Perk should listen to this, in particular about the 12 minute mark! He is maintaining the company line, they are NOT coming to Huntington, but we can go there! Again, we do not need them and we certainly don't need to get on our knees to play them! I will repeat, OUR Program does better without them! Let them rot traveling across the country playing teams their casual fans don't care about it!

I think you and Perk should listen to this, in particular about the 12 minute mark! He is maintaining the company line, they are NOT coming to Huntington, but we can go there! Again, we do not need them and we certainly don't need to get on our knees to play them! I will repeat, OUR Program does better without them! Let them rot traveling across the country playing teams their casual fans don't care about it!

What a pu$%/. Not "eager" to travel to Huntington says it all.

Bullshit on going there and no return. We aren't desperate.
It's a silly point. They are a 60,000 seat stadium they can't and won't pay big pay checks to anyone like OSU or UT etc can

And honestly, we are a very valuable home game for them. Look at their attendance records.

So the game is easily doable, profitable and great for WV and both schools. Should be easy to work 3-2 series that gives them their respect as a P5 but gives us ours as well as a valuable game or something that makes us both money, can be leveraged into mini packs or season tix to increase season ticket sales.

Reactions: ohio herd
Bullshit on going there and no return. We aren't desperate.

It has nothing to do with being desperate.

It has to do with a game that should be played. The fans of this state deserve it. So why not be the bigger school and just do it. Show the fans of the state that we want what is best for them while the school up there continues to take their every dollar. We want to keep it instate. We want the local businesses to experience the success of this game. If that means we play there for the foreseeable future to make them look bad. Then do it.

And to add. Maybe we aren’t desperate. But every program needs every dollar they can get. So yes. We need it. Badly

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
It has nothing to do with being desperate.

It has to do with a game that should be played. The fans of this state deserve it. So why not be the bigger school and just do it. Show the fans of the state that we want what is best for them while the school up there continues to take their every dollar. We want to keep it instate. We want the local businesses to experience the success of this game. If that means we play there for the foreseeable future to make them look bad. Then do it.

And to add. Maybe we aren’t desperate. But every program needs every dollar they can get. So yes. We need it. Badly
Did you see the latest comments from their AD? Spears should not schedule a series there without a return trip here in the future. And if we have to play a money game on the road for dollars, play the big boys who will give us a million plus for the gig. WVU would never come close to paying that.

They are a 60,000 seat stadium they can't and won't pay big pay checks to anyone like OSU or UT etc can
The discussion, really, ends there. USPAM's offer is either a 2 for 1, or a 1 for 0 with far less cash than we can get from more significant schools. No thank you.

They just don't matter. As the college football system reorganizes, and the new Little Leftovers becomes the afterthought in what really is a "power 3" system, USPAM will continue to bleed money, both in academics and in its deeply taxpayer subsidized athletic program.

Let them.

WVU in Huntington is a very big deal financially. No one can doubt that but it’s a social problem for Marshall and their fans. I have attended every game in Huntington and all but one in Morgantown. Because of what I have personally observed and tolerated I absolutely avoid talking to anyone who wears any WVU attire. I love West Virginia but the hatred and negativity displayed in those games completely destroy my “Almost Heaven “ attitude. I am willing to pay any guitar player $5 NOT to play “Almost Heaven “ That’s what WVU fans have done to me!

We just sold out for Virginia Tech... There are other avenues to sellouts in the Joan if the contracts are negotiated correctly. We dont need WVU to have one sellout a year.
Wvu can be leveraged into mini pack and season ticket sales. The facts show that. I'm not saying we beg or take a bad deal. But, there is enough interest in that game to make it work financially for both schools and state if decisions are made on economics.

But that would take wvu recognizing they aren't OSU etc and putting away pride and butt hurt herd fans putting aside their feelings.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
We just sold out for Virginia Tech... There are other avenues to sellouts in the Joan if the contracts are negotiated correctly. We dont need WVU to have one sellout a year.
If the “sellout” means selling half of the seats to a third-party for $1 and not being able to capitalize off of parking/concessions for those “sellout” seats that individuals don’t buy, it’s not really much of a help.

If the “sellout” means selling half of the seats to a third-party for $1 and not being able to capitalize off of parking/concessions for those “sellout” seats that individuals don’t buy, it’s not really much of a help.
rifle: I think you’re exaggerating, but for general benefit for those of us (esp me) who don’t understand the 3rd party ticket thing, would you explain the process?

Source?

The new guy in the Marshall Marketing department, Holden Hiscawk, provided those numbers. If you call Shewey and ask to talk to him, he almost always answers and is extremely friendly and informative. He talks fast like he is really busy, so he may be only working with one hand.

• Haha
The new guy in the Marshall Marketing department, Holden Hiscawk, provided those numbers. If you call Shewey and ask to talk to him, he almost always answers and is extremely friendly and informative. He talks fast like he is really busy, so he may be only working with one hand.
Holden! Great guy. Got his start in marketing working at his Uncle’s poultry farm out past Wayne. Man by the name of Hizchichen, Chokin Hizchichen.

Every time I called into the Shewey, I always talked to Holden. However, I always felt Hiscawk was really hard to grasp, meaning I never could quite figure out where he was coming from.

• Haha
Every time I called into the Shewey, I always talked to Holden. However, I always felt Hiscawk was really hard to grasp, meaning I never could quite figure out where he was coming from.
He’s always up first thing in the morning. Tall fella, always standing erect.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT