ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium Renderings

Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by the drawings of the stadium?

No. It was discussed previously on here, and the sunshine pumpers (who have no experience seeing college baseball stadiums across the country) tried arguing that it was a great design.

Having a small number of rows throughout the whole stadium and down the lines makes the park look much smaller. It’s awful for aesthetics which will lower the impact it has on recruiting. It’s awful for crowd noise and excitement. The picture and batter won’t be impacted by some rowdy fans down the right field like. For expansion purposes, If Marshall were to ever be fortunate enough to be in that situation, it’s far easier and cheaper to extend seating down the lines instead of knocking down the press box/suites and having to build on top of the section behind home plate.

Look at how the buy programs do it. They make a big stadium area between the ends of each dugout. Then, if the need calls for it, they extend down the lines and in the outfield.

Perhaps, it’s a money issue. If not, I simply don’t get it.

Yes. I want a baseball PARK. A place for this non-revenue sport to play before the people it can draw (and consider when the college game is played, we call it "winter"). It is more than sufficient for that.

There are about 5 groups of old rich fat white guys around Huntington who want a baseball STADIUM. Which MU will pay for and rent to them for their play-pretend baseball owner, either in the low minors (which MLB wants to eliminate, great article in Baseball America last week) or the joke "independent" leagues for a $1/year.

They can pound sand.

I don't love the seats down the line, but I think it's fine for what it is and certainly better than the nothing we have now.

If the designers were interested in a comparable, they should look at what Tusculum College in Tennessee has... They built a nice stadium 15 years ago that meets their needs and they share it with the Greeneville Reds of the A-ball Appalachian League. They draw decent minor league crowds, the games are a good time, and once in a while you get to see somebody who makes it to the bigs.

https://stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/pioneer-park-s218

I don't love the seats down the line, but I think it's fine for what it is and certainly better than the nothing we have now.

If the designers were interested in a comparable, they should look at what Tusculum College in Tennessee has... They built a nice stadium 15 years ago that meets their needs and they share it with the Greeneville Reds of the A-ball Appalachian League. They draw decent minor league crowds, the games are a good time, and once in a while you get to see somebody who makes it to the bigs.

https://stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/pioneer-park-s218

The stadium at Greeneville is beautiful. There can’t be another Div 2 field as nice as that one, the first time I went there I was stunned. It’s ACC type quality. I forget who wrote the big check but TC has an absolutely beautiful athletic campus.

Reactions: RhinoD
Based on the designs, it appears that seven to nine rows of seats are behind the infield sections. You could take the rows down the lines and nearly triple the size of the actual stadium part (the area from the end of one dugout to the other).

A huge factor that I neglected to mention earlier is the popularity of berms for fans in college baseball.

Your typical group of college students aren't going to want to sit next to older adults, the parents of players, etc. They want a space they can be loud and let loose. Grass berm areas along the lines are usually packed with college students. It's common to see girls in bikini tops and shorts working on their tans while out at the ballpark. That won't be happening with this design which will limit appeal to college students.

Berms are also a popular area for families with young children, as the grass allows them to run around a little instead of being tethered down in a chair in a stadium.

Finally, I hate seeing bullpens with fans looking down into them (at least as the home team). While warming up, the last thing you want pitchers to deal with is heckling opposing fans, their dad trying to coach them, distractions from girls, etc. Leave that area open instead of putting seats right above it.

I'd really like to hear the thought process of MU agreeing to this type of design.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
Also, not to be a worry wart (or sound like an insurance guy) but is there enough room between the outfield fence and the four-lane avenue?

What happens the first time one our guys hits a bomb and causes a traffic accident?

The stadium at Greeneville is beautiful. There can’t be another Div 2 field as nice as that one, the first time I went there I was stunned. It’s ACC type quality. I forget who wrote the big check but TC has an absolutely beautiful athletic campus.
You tube has a video of the TC field.

I think that a large factor in the stadium design is how much dirt can actually be moved (next to none from my understanding) and the fact that it has to actually be built up above the ground (i.e. adding height). There was something, I think it makes sense, about adding cost because we have to pour so much concrete to add height to stay off the CERCLA superfund dirt.

I'll be excited to see the finished product, which, in no doubt will look close to nothing like the renderings aside from what is inside the white lines.

I think that a large factor in the stadium design is how much dirt can actually be moved (next to none from my understanding) and the fact that it has to actually be built up above the ground (i.e. adding height). There was something, I think it makes sense, about adding cost because we have to pour so much concrete to add height to stay off the CERCLA superfund dirt.

I'll be excited to see the finished product, which, in no doubt will look close to nothing like the renderings aside from what is inside the white lines.

Something that seems lost on everyone is these are merely designs based entirely on the area and naked eye.
Several renderings of MU buildings were completely different than their final results.
I remember seeing Drinko looking more like a large extension of Old Main in terms of design and architecture. It was also basically connected to Old Main as well.
Same with the Sports Medicine Complex, which I believe was supposed to have a 2nd floor with glass walls.
This project will probably be no different.
We'll know in a few short months.

Also, not to be a worry wart (or sound like an insurance guy) but is there enough room between the outfield fence and the four-lane avenue?

Ya think maybe the architects that designed the place were paid to know what they are doing?

What happens the first time one our guys hits a bomb and causes a traffic accident?

I would say that streets and thus cars are reachable from most ballparks that are in cities. Several cars have been hit at the Charleston park. Part of it.

Reactions: HerdFan2014
okay I think it is great we are finally getting an on campus baseball stadium. Could it have been designed better? IDK. It also seems to me since I have laid eyes on the land that it may be the best they can do with the area in question.

Last edited:
Ya think maybe the architects that designed the place were paid to know what they are doing?

I would say that streets and thus cars are reachable from most ballparks that are in cities. Several cars have been hit at the Charleston park. Part of it.

I would hope that the architects know what they are doing... With that said, I think we all have been to buildings that don't make sense for their property/surroundings.

As for Charleston, Morris Street and Smith Street aren't main thoroughfares. People who are familiar with the WV Power stadium area traditionally try to avoid it on game nights, and do so with relative ease... 3rd Ave in Huntington is routinely traffic-heavy.

Reactions: Obialo1kanobe
Yes. I want a baseball PARK. A place for this non-revenue sport to play before the people it can draw (and consider when the college game is played, we call it "winter"). It is more than sufficient for that.

There are about 5 groups of old rich fat white guys around Huntington who want a baseball STADIUM. Which MU will pay for and rent to them for their play-pretend baseball owner, either in the low minors (which MLB wants to eliminate, great article in Baseball America last week) or the joke "independent" leagues for a $1/year.

They can pound sand.

Well Silly Suck Up Sam, you need to talk to Mediocre Mike about that. Does he know you are being negative?

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Yes.

I'm rather shocked you are unhappy, the bleachers won't have stains and the foul poles will have fresh coats of paint on them.
According to you, those things make or break a program.

yes those were my words, definitely. Continue to misquote me and take my words out of context. This is a fun game.

I agree with what’s been said. Also, I don’t like the club level. It’s extremely basic in the rendering.

Something that seems lost on everyone is these are merely designs based entirely on the area and naked eye.
Several renderings of MU buildings were completely different than their final results.
I remember seeing Drinko looking more like a large extension of Old Main in terms of design and architecture. It was also basically connected to Old Main as well.
Same with the Sports Medicine Complex, which I believe was supposed to have a 2nd floor with glass walls.
This project will probably be no different.
We'll know in a few short months.

You are correct. I went back to an old scrapbook I have that showed renderings of major Marshall buildings. The architect's drawings and the finished products are usually quite different.

I'll withhold judgement until I see some actual structure going up. Whatever they build will be light years ahead of the field (St. Clouds) they used when I was in school at Marshall

The stadium size will allow MU to host the CUSA Baseball Championship and even a NCAA tournament game. They both have certain criteria to host, like seating capacity.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see MU/Huntington bid for the State High School Baseball tournament.

The stadium size will allow MU to host the CUSA Baseball Championship and even a NCAA tournament game. They both have certain criteria to host, like seating capacity.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see MU/Huntington bid for the State High School Baseball tournament.

i hope they get both. As well as bringing other tournaments in during the summer. Also, a summer concert series at the ballpark would be great.

All this BITCHIN over something we have waited for since Coach Cook took over the program in about 1970 and like ever coach since was promised an on campus facility only to never see it come to fruition.

At least it is in Huntington not a 100+mile round trip to Charleston for a home game..not out on Rt 2 at a Little League field or the mess that was beside Memorial Field House or out on the backside of town.

For what we had , what we wanted and what we apparently are ( in my lifetime) getting this is great...maybe one day its expanded but for now , come on guys stop the complaining.

Huh. Yeah, I don't know.

EHpvYiZVAAEgO-Y

Or

DSC_0536-1-900x600.jpg

Oh! Or maybe the team continues to travel to Charleston! Maybe Beckley!

Seriously, why is anyone complaining?

All this BITCHIN over something we have waited for since Coach Cook took over the program in about 1970 and like ever coach since was promised an on campus facility only to never see it come to fruition.

At least it is in Huntington not a 100+mile round trip to Charleston for a home game..not out on Rt 2 at a Little League field or the mess that was beside Memorial Field House or out on the backside of town.

For what we had , what we wanted and what we apparently are ( in my lifetime) getting this is great...maybe one day its expanded but for now , come on guys stop the complaining.

That’s exactly the damn point. We’ve waited 50 years for it, so after that long of a wait, we should do it right.

I can’t imagine any logical reason for that design other than a money issue. It would be nice to get some response about why Marshall is building it exactly opposite of how just about every legit stadium is built. There are numerous issues with the current design, both immediately and long term. What are the advantages of the current design over how just about every other legit college baseball stadium is designed?

The current design will look not much different than Wright State’s field. It leaves a lot to be desired.

To add to the posts regarding how other projects at MU varied greatly from original and/or early architectural renderings, go look at the early drawings/renderings of the Hoops Soccer Complex and then at what MU eventually got!!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I am sure it will be more than adequate and quite nice. Those at MU would be foolish not to look at other stadiums of similar size with the physical plant limitations that we have. Let's see what they come up with.

Rifle, serious question, have you emailed MH and shared your concerns?

Rifle, serious question, have you emailed MH and shared your concerns?

I haven’t. Coach Stowers has made it clear that Shewey gets their feelings hurt when I criticize anything Marshall related on here.

I’m sure hoping there is a reasonable explanation for it. It may be money. It may be space, though it seems building higher wouldn’t be much of an issue with that.

I just wonder how much college baseball experience in terms of watching games and fan interaction at legit places around the country has gone into the design. For the most part, college kids don’t want to be tied down to bleacher seating for a baseball game. They want a place they can spread out and socialize while getting sun. They want a place they can grill out and drink while harassing opponents. Forcing them to all sit in the bleachers severely limits the fun they could have at a game. The same thing holds true for families with young children who love running, playing, and spreading out on berms which are very popular in college baseball for fans.

And that doesn’t touch on the expansion issue, aesthetics issue for recruiting, crowd environment issue by diluting the number of fans by spreading them out down the lines, etc.

If money became available, indoor hitting cages, lockers would be phenomenal to have down the lines. I’m under the impression that space is an issue, so I don’t know how feasible building lockers/indoor hitting would be behind the stadium or behind the dugouts, as that would take space away from the parking area.

Do we know if we can use any of the ACF lot property? I thought the HMDA/Marshall bought that as well?

I know for a fact that MU officials have been offered tours of the other stadiums, including the new High Point Rockers stadium, which has already won a few awards for being fan friendly.

MU officials declined the invitation.

I haven’t. Coach Stowers has made it clear that Shewey gets their feelings hurt when I criticize anything Marshall related on here.

I’m sure hoping there is a reasonable explanation for it. It may be money. It may be space, though it seems building higher wouldn’t be much of an issue with that.

I just wonder how much college baseball experience in terms of watching games and fan interaction at legit places around the country has gone into the design. For the most part, college kids don’t want to be tied down to bleacher seating for a baseball game. They want a place they can spread out and socialize while getting sun. They want a place they can grill out and drink while harassing opponents. Forcing them to all sit in the bleachers severely limits the fun they could have at a game. The same thing holds true for families with young children who love running, playing, and spreading out on berms which are very popular in college baseball for fans.

And that doesn’t touch on the expansion issue, aesthetics issue for recruiting, crowd environment issue by diluting the number of fans by spreading them out down the lines, etc.

If money became available, indoor hitting cages, lockers would be phenomenal to have down the lines. I’m under the impression that space is an issue, so I don’t know how feasible building lockers/indoor hitting would be behind the stadium or behind the dugouts, as that would take space away from the parking area.
Rifle the land in question is pretty tight. I am sure that has a lot to do with the design.

It looks like a decent ball park to me.

For those that don't like it, the alternatives were as follows:

1. Continue to drive an hour (or two) to off campus sites to host your games.

2. Play some games in a better than average cow pasture with cinder block dugouts (see any little league field in Boone County, WV)

3. Drop the baseball program.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT