ADVERTISEMENT

TCU

Badger369

Green Buffalo
Aug 3, 2018
Dallas, TX
I've lived in TX since '82 after my graduation from MU. MU was to play TCU and 9-11 happened. I looked forward to the reschedule of that game, and TCU declined. As a Herd fan, usually, I root for the underdog. But for TCU declining to reschedule what I think they believed would be a MU win, I am enjoying the beatdown they are enduring tonight. I can carry a grudge.

Last edited:
Florida Lead GIF

Tried to tell the forum the best 4 teams didn't make the playoff. The committe went with the 1 loss is better than 2 or no loss is better than 1. They went with what they thought was fair, not what was the best teams.

Reactions: Elkview
Alabama got embarrassed by a team Georgia slaughtered, and almost lost to a team (should have if the zebras didn't get involved) that TCU beat. Alabama couldn't handle the run all season and that's Michigan's bread and butter.

Down here in SEC country the narrative has already started... On talk radio this morning it was all about why the committee keeps letting "small" schools into the playoff. Basically talked about how TCU is a glorified Mountain West team at a university with 10,000 students that isn't even in the top 3 most recognizable programs in its own state. They won a shell of the Big12 in a year where Oklahoma was uncharacteristically bad, lost to K-State in the title game, backed into the playoffs and then pulled an upset of Michigan before being brought back to earth.

Once the playoffs go to 12 teams, the SEC and Big10 will have 5 spots and they are pretty well resigned to the fact that two of those five will meet in the finals every year.

I've lived in TX since '82 after my graduation from MU. MU was to play TCU and 9-11 happened. I looked forward to the reschedule of that game, and TCU declined. As a Herd fan, usually, I root for the underdog. But for TCU declining to reschedule what I think they believed would be a MU win, I am enjoying the beatdown they are enduring tonight. I can carry a grudge.
I'm kind of pissed at Navy for what they did to us this year...that's not the spirit that won at Midway and Corral Sea!

TCU 01 - I had forgotten about that. IIRC TCU claimed it did not want to travel to a "cold state" when the 9/11 week games were rescheduled at the end of the year and we picked up a cash game hosting Youngstown State, which we won. TCU was very classless.

"Big" (sic) 12 - Told ya so. The SEC is the center of the college sports world, but the Big 10, ACC, or even the Pac 12, as currently constituted, can sometimes produce a worthy team every 5 or 6 years. The Big 2, Little 8, simply cannot. And the Big 2 are moving up and being replaced by yet more clearly mid-major teams. TCU had no more business here than the MAC, AAC, SBC or MWC. I'm not for the playoffs nor the playoff expansion, but at least we won't have to see these types of beatdowns in the finals again, as the SEC and a handful of other teams settle major college football among major college programs.

TCU IS a glorified Mountain West team. To believe otherwise is to buy into the Little 8's BS. When the Big (sic) 12 2.0 was put together, they took mid-major programs like TCU, WVU, etc. and wanted you to believe that somehow, someway, they were now major programs. It takes an especial level of stupid to buy into the idea that, one year, TCU is a "mid-major" but the next year the same program, same everything is a true major. And, fantastically, they are going to try to sell the same lie again with the Big (sic) 12 3.0, telling the stupid that, somehow, Central Florida, Houston, Cincinnati, or whatever is now a major program. They aren't. The Big 12 2.0 and 3.0 are mid-major conferernces.

2023-4. Wondering which SEC team will win the national championship this year.

Reactions: Elkview and RhinoD
TCU 01 - I had forgotten about that. IIRC TCU claimed it did not want to travel to a "cold state" when the 9/11 week games were rescheduled at the end of the year and we picked up a cash game hosting Youngstown State, which we won. TCU was very classless.

"Big" (sic) 12 - Told ya so. The SEC is the center of the college sports world, but the Big 10, ACC, or even the Pac 12, as currently constituted, can sometimes produce a worthy team every 5 or 6 years. The Big 2, Little 8, simply cannot. And the Big 2 are moving up and being replaced by yet more clearly mid-major teams. TCU had no more business here than the MAC, AAC, SBC or MWC. I'm not for the playoffs nor the playoff expansion, but at least we won't have to see these types of beatdowns in the finals again, as the SEC and a handful of other teams settle major college football among major college programs.

TCU IS a glorified Mountain West team. To believe otherwise is to buy into the Little 8's BS. When the Big (sic) 12 2.0 was put together, they took mid-major programs like TCU, WVU, etc. and wanted you to believe that somehow, someway, they were now major programs. It takes an especial level of stupid to buy into the idea that, one year, TCU is a "mid-major" but the next year the same program, same everything is a true major. And, fantastically, they are going to try to sell the same lie again with the Big (sic) 12 3.0, telling the stupid that, somehow, Central Florida, Houston, Cincinnati, or whatever is now a major program. They aren't. The Big 12 2.0 and 3.0 are mid-major conferernces.

2023-4. Wondering which SEC team will win the national championship this year.
I dont disagree... The plucky underdog will still be able to pull an upset once the 12 team format starts, but that will be the end of it. No mid-major team (or Big12 team for that matter) will win two in a row, let alone three in a row, against SEC/Big10/Clemson/Notre Dame.

In reality, that is why the playoff expansion is genius... It will make a boatload of money (more than 4 teams does), it gives the small schools the illusion of "having a shot" (when in reality, they dont) which creates broader interest, and the two best teams will play in the finals by having an extra round to weed out pretenders.

The era of two of these teams playing for a national championship every year will be here soon -- Georgia, Bama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas AM, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon.

Reactions: The Real SamC
We will see the SEC break apart sometime in the future. They will keep taking all the powerhouse teams and when those teams find out they can’t be the top power every year, they will want to split off and form their own leagues.

Reactions: RhinoD
Alabama got embarrassed by a team Georgia slaughtered, and almost lost to a team (should have if the zebras didn't get involved) that TCU beat. Alabama couldn't handle the run all season and that's Michigan's bread and butter.
Alabama lost to two team by less than 4 points. Both ranked in the top 10 at the time. how were they embarrassd? They destroyed the team that beat the team that beat Michigan.

Georgia is the best team in college football. But, to say Michigan could beat Alabama might be a stretch. Could they yes of course, but ALabama is the better team on most occassions. Alabama finished second in the final Sagarain rating. Michigan was 5th.

Could Michigan beat Alabama yes. Most time, no. Everybody just saw what the SEC teams did to the Big 12 when they are focused. The two Big 12 teams were crushed by Georgia and Alabama. Not even close.

Georgia is the best team.

Last edited:
Michigan lost their ability to run the ball down other team's throats near the end of the regular season. Lost their two big tight ends, lost their bruising Heisman candidate back, and lost their tackle. With that said, Michigan's team is built to beat Ohio State, Michigan State, and Penn State. Michigan should have beaten TCU, but the flow of the game went against them, meaning they were forced to play from behind, due to early game coaching blunders along with fumbling at the 1/2 yard line. That forced them into playing a style of football that's not their thing, passing on most downs, and gambling on defense. All told, Michigan wouldn't have beaten Georgia, and would have lost similarly to how they lost to them last year. If Michigan were playing Alabama, and all of you had a choice of betting $1,000.00 on either team, I'm guessing 9 out of 10 of you would place their wager on Bama. As I said, Michigan is built to beat the top teams in the B1G. Ohio State, on the other hand, has the talent and style of play that can compete with teams like Georgia and Alabama. It will be interesting to see if Ohio State makes the mistake of changing up their style of play in order to be able to compete with Michigan. It's odd to even say that, but the last two meetings tell me Ohio State is going to have to get tougher and more physical on the lines in order to be able to beat Michigan. That may not be important moving forward though, with the move to 12 teams, which takes some of the luster away from meaningful games like Ohio State-Michigan.

Tried to tell the forum the best 4 teams didn't make the playoff. The committe went with the 1 loss is better than 2 or no loss is better than 1. They went with what they thought was fair, not what was the best teams.
12 team playoff coming… talk about wrench in the system… what will coaches and top committee officials do when a nobody pulls a upset. Imagine a 12 knocking out a 1 in the 2nd or 3rd round… lol that will be funny

12 team playoff coming… talk about wrench in the system… what will coaches and top committee officials do when a nobody pulls a upset. Imagine a 12 knocking out a 1 in the 2nd or 3rd round… lol that will be funny
Those upsets will happen from time to time, but it won't matter... An SEC or Big10 team will still win the title 95 percent of the time.

Expanded playoffs will be fun because of the underdogs with "a chance"... But in the real world, those teams aren't winning 3 games in a row against the elite programs. TCU and Cincy are perfect examples the past two years. They did what they had to do in the regular season, made the playoffs, TCU even pulled one upset -- But then they both got absolutely shitcanned by a legit opponent.

There will be upsets in the first round of the playoffs, maybe even the second round... But by the time the final four happens, just like it is now in basketball, the blue bloods will be left standing.

Since the first playoff started with the BCS obviously the SEC has the overall dominance. After that league comes the ACC with 4 titles and I don’t think any other league has more than 2.

Imagine Marshall winning the SBC, and getting a 12 seed… then going in this year against an Alabama… you thought TCU got handled, imagine that massacre!?
This season, in a theoretical 12 team field, that game would have been 12. Tulane vs. 5. Bama... No offense to Tulane, they played their ass off to beat USC, but Bama beats them by 3 touchdowns.

And if by some act of God the Green Wave would have beaten Bama in the first round, their reward would have been a game against 4. Ohio State, coming off a bye.

For the 12 seed to win the title this season... It would have taken wins over 5. Bama, 4. Ohio State, (likely) 1. Georgia and then (likely) 2. Michigan.

If you think there is any G5 team in America that is winning that bracket, I've got a bridge to sell you.

This season, in a theoretical 12 team field, that game would have been 12. Tulane vs. 5. Bama... No offense to Tulane, they played their ass off to beat USC, but Bama beats them by 3 touchdowns.

And if by some act of God the Green Wave would have beaten Bama in the first round, their reward would have been a game against 4. Ohio State, coming off a bye.

For the 12 seed to win the title this season... It would have taken wins over 5. Bama, 4. Ohio State, (likely) 1. Georgia and then (likely) 2. Michigan.

If you think there is any G5 team in America that is winning that bracket, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Help me out here. Isn't this what everyone wants? A G5 to have a seat at the table? I don't disagree with your outcomes at all, but all I hear is G5 wanting a seat.

I've said all along that the G5 should do their own FCS type playoff. Would be much better from a competition standpoint, more competitive and have a true G5 national champion.

A 12 team playoff solves one of the many problems that all playoffs have. The silly idea that, somehow, all "power 5" conferences, and if you listen to the nattering snake oil salesman Arseco, also the AAC, are somehow equal.

They simply are not. Winning in the Big 12 (sic) 2.0 is NOTHING compared to the four true major conferences, and B12 3.0 will be an abject joke. It, much like the old Leastern Independents/Big Least/Leastleftovers is a mid-major conference that the media chooses to tout as a something it just isn't.

In the coming years, one G5 team and one B12 team will get a "chance" to be assreamed by the 3rd place SEC team or something like that, every year. Rah, rah, rah. But we will not see things like we saw Monday night. Mostly SEC vs. SEC, most every year.

Those upsets will happen from time to time, but it won't matter... An SEC or Big10 team will still win the title 95 percent of the time.

Expanded playoffs will be fun because of the underdogs with "a chance"... But in the real world, those teams aren't winning 3 games in a row against the elite programs. TCU and Cincy are perfect examples the past two years. They did what they had to do in the regular season, made the playoffs, TCU even pulled one upset -- But then they both got absolutely shitcanned by a legit opponent.

There will be upsets in the first round of the playoffs, maybe even the second round... But by the time the final four happens, just like it is now in basketball, the blue bloods will be left standing.

To compare Cincinnati’s loss to Alabama, and what Georgia did to TCU are not even on the same planet.

Cincy was down 11 entering the 4th quarter of that game, and loss was comparable to the Ls many other P5 teams had taken in the first round years previous.

TCUs national championship performance was an embarrassment.

Reactions: awebbOH
Help me out here. Isn't this what everyone wants? A G5 to have a seat at the table? I don't disagree with your outcomes at all, but all I hear is G5 wanting a seat.

I've said all along that the G5 should do their own FCS type playoff. Would be much better from a competition standpoint, more competitive and have a true G5 national champion.
You are correct... The 12 team model is better than what we have now in terms of keeping the G5 relevant via a seat at the table. Especially in years where there are 3-4 G5 teams battling to try to get that playoff spot either by going undefeated or having one loss.

What some of us are pointing out, is the 12 team system does not get a G5 team closer to winning a national championship in football. In reality, it probably gets them further from it.

If the odds of a G5 program winning the current 4 team playoff, they're exponentially higher with having to win four games. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see it, but at some point, I firmly believe there will be a new division of college football, one where a decent percentage of the current G5 makeup will end up playing, as well as many of the FCS programs that actually make a concerted effort to compete on that level.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
If the odds of a G5 program winning the current 4 team playoff, they're exponentially higher with having to win four games. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see it, but at some point, I firmly believe there will be a new division of college football, one where a decent percentage of the current G5 makeup will end up playing, as well as many of the FCS programs that actually make a concerted effort to compete on that level.
I see this as well.

You are correct... The 12 team model is better than what we have now in terms of keeping the G5 relevant via a seat at the table. Especially in years where there are 3-4 G5 teams battling to try to get that playoff spot either by going undefeated or having one loss.

What some of us are pointing out, is the 12 team system does not get a G5 team closer to winning a national championship in football. In reality, it probably gets them further from it.
I agree

I’ve said that there needs to be a split for years

The problem I see is you have a handful of programs that are absolutely rolling and are playing a different game than every other program. There’s no competition. These top 4-5 programs have former HCs who are coordinators making HC money, the transfer portal allows them to reload with experienced talent while everyone else is left to recruit & develop (and hope they stay). Wake Forest was the farm club system to develop ND’s new QB. Ga Tech was the farm club system to develop Alabama’s stud RB this season. Pitt was the farm club system to develop USC’s stud WR this season. Indiana was the farm club system for Washington’s QB this season. ASU was the farm club system to develop LSU’s QB this season. Looks to me like there needs to be a few splits to occur. The top 10 programs be NFL-lite, the rest of the P5 being their developmental clubs, and then the G5 being the new FCS and we do our own thing.

But with the G5 getting one spot in the playoff, we’ll keep our mouth shut and take the money it brings. Who cares about the product when you’re getting paid?

Dolla dolla bills, y’all $$$$$$$$

Reactions: RhinoD
As pointed out, the deck is stacked against a G5 ever winning a title . However, I still like playing at this level. The chance to be ranked and occasionally beating a Blue blood like ND keeps it fun and entertaining. IMO winning a G5 division is like going back to FCS in the 90's. Good teams but at the end of the day very few people outside of the member schools care. At least now a Cincy or TCU can break through and have their 15 minutes of fame.

Reactions: marshallsig
This is the most "who gives a shit other than Herd fans" post I have ever seen...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT