ADVERTISEMENT

Tear Down the End Zone Seats! What?

We’ve been committed to winning for decades, we just haven’t done it in a fashion or as often that some think we should.
No, we haven't been committed to winning for decades. I'm talking about all-in, commitment to excellence.

You don't hold onto Doc Holliday that long if you're fully committed to winning.

You don't neglect basic upkeep of your stadium if you're fully committed to winning. Schools fully committed to winning change their turf more regularly; paint their goalposts/buy new ones; power wash mold and other gunk each year (multiple times a year); eliminate any old logos once they're no longer part of the brand (have you seen the outdated logo on the tile floor in the Big Green room? Or the off-brand "M" in the fencing on the end zone upper deck?)

You don't go 22 years without making a major infrastructure investment in your football stadium if you're fully committed to winning. (I'm counting the end zone bleachers that we're getting ready to demolish as our last major investment in 2000.) The additional suites and fan shop that Hamrick added were nice incremental investments -- the type of investments we should be doing every year/every other year. Major investments: end zone suite/premium seating/party deck facility; gutted and completely remodeled bathrooms; overhauled concourses (widening, lighting, tech upgrades).

No, we haven't been committed to winning for decades. I'm talking about all-in, commitment to excellence.

You don't hold onto Doc Holliday that long if you're fully committed to winning.

You don't neglect basic upkeep of your stadium if you're fully committed to winning. Schools fully committed to winning change their turf more regularly; paint their goalposts/buy new ones; power wash mold and other gunk each year (multiple times a year); eliminate any old logos once they're no longer part of the brand (have you seen the outdated logo on the tile floor in the Big Green room? Or the off-brand "M" in the fencing on the end zone upper deck?)

You don't go 22 years without making a major infrastructure investment in your football stadium if you're fully committed to winning. (I'm counting the end zone bleachers that we're getting ready to demolish as our last major investment in 2000.) The additional suites and fan shop that Hamrick added were nice incremental investments -- the type of investments we should be doing every year/every other year. Major investments: end zone suite/premium seating/party deck facility; gutted and completely remodeled bathrooms; overhauled concourses (widening, lighting, tech upgrades).
You could call the remodeled Shewey Building a major infrastructure upgrade, though regular fans don't directly benefit. Credit to Huff for walking in and demanding that obsolete facility be immediately upgraded. It's because he's committed to taking Marshall to a higher level than Hamrick and Doc were.

I'd add new chairbacks as a major investment. Those should've been replaced years ago. You have to have a leader who demands a higher level of excellence and has a keen attention to detail to go along with the fundraising chops. I believe we finally have that in Christian Spears.

Another poster credited Hamrick for building the IPF. I'm glad that was pointed out. He does deserve credit for it. But why wasn't he addressing all these other issues with the stadium? Where was the master plan for stadium upgrades? There was no short- or long-term vision for investing in the most important facility.

It's an exciting time at Marshall. If the AD comes out and says he's making big improvements to the football stadium, celebrate it! Don't automatically fallback on "but what about the baseball stadium" and "there's more to Marshall than football."

You want to be big time? You want Marshall to get up there with the likes of Boise State and App State? Then it requires change and strong leadership. Embrace it.

Reactions: herd66 and Jartard
Except for baseball, which I still say will never see a stadium of the palatial minor league pipe dream announced previously, people that bitch about MU facilities need to take a few road trips.

The soccer facility is among the best in the country.

The basketball arena is not really "old" and it really is an arena. Much of the SBC (and much of CUSA) has basketball venues that are best described as gyms.

Capacities around the SBC are 8,325, 10,471 (also serves as the town's primary concert venue), 3,212, 4,325, 3,854, 8,500, 11,500 (also serves as the town's primary concert venue), 7,285, 10,041, 10,000, 6,000, 8,472, and 8,095. That makes the CHC the 4th largest arena in the league, and the second largest that is not the town's civic center or equivalent, under the program's control 100% of the time.

Years opened are 1965, 2002, 2012, 1982, 1998, 1971, 1982, 2018, 1973, 1965, 2010, 1987, and 2000. That makes the CHC right similar to 3 arenas, and far younger than four more. Pretty good.

As to football. The stadium is fine. Yes, it could use a good steam cleaning. So could a lot of places. Yes, the restrooms need gutted and redone. But other than that? The turf is replaced on a schedule the manufacturer recommends (and show me a link to anyplace that does it more frequently), the IPF is among the best in the G5, and better than many P5s, the locker room and all the other behind the scenes stuff is great, the scoreboard is replaced everytime something new comes along and probably will be replaced in the next 2 to 4 years again. It is fine. The capacity is actually too big, even if we are doing well. It is as good a stadium as you will find in the SBC, or in any G5 league.

So you blame Hamrick and lack of money?

You could call the remodeled Shewey Building a major infrastructure upgrade, though regular fans don't directly benefit. Credit to Huff for walking in and demanding that obsolete facility be immediately upgraded. It's because he's committed to taking Marshall to a higher level than Hamrick and Doc were.

I'd add new chairbacks as a major investment. Those should've been replaced years ago. You have to have a leader who demands a higher level of excellence and has a keen attention to detail to go along with the fundraising chops. I believe we finally have that in Christian Spears.

Another poster credited Hamrick for building the IPF. I'm glad that was pointed out. He does deserve credit for it. But why wasn't he addressing all these other issues with the stadium? Where was the master plan for stadium upgrades? There was no short- or long-term vision for investing in the most important facility.

It's an exciting time at Marshall. If the AD comes out and says he's making big improvements to the football stadium, celebrate it! Don't automatically fallback on "but what about the baseball stadium" and "there's more to Marshall than football."

You want to be big time? You want Marshall to get up there with the likes of Boise State and App State? Then it requires change and strong leadership. Embrace it.
We want all the flashy facilities but can’t get anyone to donate. We fans love to talk but we can’t walk the walk.

Completely irrelevant. I like that they support my school.
I do not even know if Giovanni’s supports Marshall, I’m guessing Dutch Miller does in some fashion.. but with that said if either didn’t we probably wouldn’t notice any difference..

point was I’m surprised someone hasn’t wanted to Tarp the end zone, like other schools have. Typically when that is done it is for advertising and I could see someone making a bone head move and plastering car dealers and food joints all over it… and besides Giovanni’s is gross and Dutch Miller is a rip off both on new sales and maintenance, they could take their money elsewhere would not bother me.. Go Herd!

I do not even know if Giovanni’s supports Marshall, I’m guessing Dutch Miller does in some fashion.. but with that said if either didn’t we probably wouldn’t notice any difference..
and besides Giovanni’s is gross and Dutch Miller is a rip off both on new sales and maintenance, they could take their money elsewhere would not bother me.. Go Herd!
While I may not love their products... This is misguided... You realize how many times during a game they say Dutch Miller on the loudspeaker? Show their commercials? etc. They pay a lot of money for that... If Dutch Miller, Giovannis, WV Lottery, etc pulled their money, our athletic budget, and subsequently our programs, would look very different in a hurry. Having corporate sponsors is more important than ever before in college athletics, and supporting those sponsors when you can matters.

I think it’s a good idea as long as they Do something creative with the space. Craft brew beer stands on both sides facing in with a section of tables and a Randy Moss statue as well as something remembering the plane crash. A back drop to block the view of the McDonald’s.

So you blame Hamrick and lack of money?

I blame Hamrick and the university leaders who weren’t holding him accountable. Some boast of how great he was with facilities. Really? So why did he neglect basic upkeep of The Joan and lack development of a master plan for improving the stadium? Credit where it’s due with the IPF and soccer field. He did a nice job with those. But he lacked a vision and effort for improving the two most important venues. And he botched the baseball stadium badly. It was all about winning the press conference with the baseball stadium announcement. He knew deep down it was too expensive and way more than what Marshall needed. I’m not really interested in continuing to focus on Hamrick and the past, but you asked and just giving my opinion on it. Onward and upward for The Herd.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
While I may not love their products... This is misguided... You realize how many times during a game they say Dutch Miller on the loudspeaker? Show their commercials? etc. They pay a lot of money for that... If Dutch Miller, Giovannis, WV Lottery, etc pulled their money, our athletic budget, and subsequently our programs, would look very different in a hurry. Having corporate sponsors is more important than ever before in college athletics, and supporting those sponsors when you can matters.
Can’t agree more, sponsors are very important. It’s also a 2 edge sword, Dutch, Giovanni’s, WV Lottery want their name blasted every second of everyday so you think about them constantly and when your ready, you go buy something from them even though their product suck.

Now to my point, Marshall Can find Many people/Corporate sponsors that can put up loads of money. They could say no to Dutch and Giovanni’s and whoever and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings.. I bet if Southern Exposure or the Lions Den was putting up more money then Giovanni’s, Dutch Miller or anyone, they would say no to announcing to their advertising.

Reactions: RhinoD
It’s complicated regarding sponsors. Contractually IMG owns and sells all advertising rights with Marshall Athletics so they are going to get as many sponsors that pay the most money. These people are purchasing advertising And the association with Marshall.

People that donate directly to the athletic department, or for that matter the school are not looking to advertise per say but if it’s a big enough donation they can get naming rights for the project they are supporting.

someone could step up and write a big check for the creation of the end zone patio area and it could be named after them. Or better yet they call it the we Are Marshall memorial patio with plaques of the people that perished .

I blame Hamrick and the university leaders who weren’t holding him accountable. Some boast of how great he was with facilities. Really? So why did he neglect basic upkeep of The Joan and lack development of a master plan for improving the stadium? Credit where it’s due with the IPF and soccer field. He did a nice job with those. But he lacked a vision and effort for improving the two most important venues. And he botched the baseball stadium badly. It was all about winning the press conference with the baseball stadium announcement. He knew deep down it was too expensive and way more than what Marshall needed. I’m not really interested in continuing to focus on Hamrick and the past, but you asked and just giving my opinion on it. Onward and upward for The Herd.
That's why I have said forever, that complacency has killed the AD over the years. People get too comfortable in their positions and go on cruise control. jmho

Reactions: wyocinherd
Can’t agree more, sponsors are very important. It’s also a 2 edge sword, Dutch, Giovanni’s, WV Lottery want their name blasted every second of everyday so you think about them constantly and when your ready, you go buy something from them even though their product suck.

Now to my point, Marshall Can find Many people/Corporate sponsors that can put up loads of money. They could say no to Dutch and Giovanni’s and whoever and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings.. I bet if Southern Exposure or the Lions Den was putting up more money then Giovanni’s, Dutch Miller or anyone, they would say no to announcing to their advertising.
please stop with this idiocy. I don't know if you don't know how to negotiate a car deal or what but Dutch Miller is like all car dealers and this particular one is a big supporter of the Herd.

Reactions: Jartard
Marshall Can find Many people/Corporate sponsors that can put up loads of money. They could say no to Dutch and Giovanni’s and whoever and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings.. I bet if Southern Exposure or the Lions Den was putting up more money then Giovanni’s, Dutch Miller or anyone, they would say no to announcing to their advertising.
Marshall can't find "many people/corporate sponsors" and that is the problem... Being a football sponsor isn't like taking out a 3x5 in the local paper. We are talking tens of thousands of dollars, or more.

If we had businesses lining up to give us that kind of money we could say no to whoever the university so chose... But we don't. So we will keep pimping Dutch Miller, Giovanni's, Fat Patty's, etc from now until eternity, or until they stop sending checks.

Anyone know if Marshall officials have ever - I mean ever, approached Toyota at Buffalo?
WV Toyota dealers is a sponsor. Wally Thornhill who is Toyota, GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, and Mopar, in Logan is separately a HUGE supporter and sponsor. MU, like most every school, has a “club” where cars are provided to coaches and staff. I don’t know exactly who is in it, but I do know that Astorg, which was the high end car dealer in Parkersburg and huge WVU people were personally hit up by MH when they moved into Charleston and have provided several high end cars to DD and others.

As far as the Toyota factory? It is the best place to work in this region. Has 20 applicants for every job. For what reason would it need to advertise?

WV Toyota dealers is a sponsor. Wally Thornhill who is Toyota, GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, and Mopar, in Logan is separately a HUGE supporter and sponsor. MU, like most every school, has a “club” where cars are provided to coaches and staff. I don’t know exactly who is in it, but I do know that Astorg, which was the high end car dealer in Parkersburg and huge WVU people were personally hit up by MH when they moved into Charleston and have provided several high end cars to DD and others.

As far as the Toyota factory? It is the best place to work in this region. Has 20 applicants for every job. For what reason would it need to advertise?
Not necessarily to advertise Sam but underwrite the proposed baseball facility - you know Toyota-Jack Cook Field etc.

Wow, it's like you completely don't know the concept of money.

So you don't want a Touchdown Ronald?
I miss Touchdown Ronald. Randy Moss throws him a ball in 97, Marshall goes unbeaten in 99… he sees Pennington to Pinkerton to win the MAC… and then they obstruct his view for 22 seasons. He just wants to watch the Herd. Maybe his girl Wendy will return, too.

It requires MONEY.
An AD demanding more is going to need more in order to achieve.
That requires innovation, and for a bunch of uneducated people who have socially and ideologically become comfortable with their state's status quo, will be like seeing a Martian.

Money requires it. You act like MU and Huntington has it. They don't. They don't exist in a state that embraces both D1 institutions (cue Goddamn Sam's rant about wvu) but rather fancies one underachiever over the actual performer.
You mention Boise, who is the dominant program in the state. You mention App State, who is in a state flush with money and is growing.
Here? Not so much.
Plus, the AD has been on the job for...a month?? Calm the hell down and let's see what he does.
Your apparent 20+ years of supporting the Herd in what is likely a low middle of pack donor level and constant complaining on here, shows your ideas are utterly flawed by comparison.
Money moves the needle in college sports in all AD's.
This concept is something cheapskates like you forget to mention.

It requires MONEY.
An AD demanding more is going to need more in order to achieve.
That requires innovation, and for a bunch of uneducated people who have socially and ideologically become comfortable with their state's status quo, will be like seeing a Martian.

Money requires it. You act like MU and Huntington has it. They don't. They don't exist in a state that embraces both D1 institutions (cue Goddamn Sam's rant about wvu) but rather fancies one underachiever over the actual performer.
You mention Boise, who is the dominant program in the state. You mention App State, who is in a state flush with money and is growing.
Here? Not so much.
Plus, the AD has been on the job for...a month?? Calm the hell down and let's see what he does.
Your apparent 20+ years of supporting the Herd in what is likely a low middle of pack donor level and constant complaining on here, shows your ideas are utterly flawed by comparison.
Money moves the needle in college sports in all AD's.
This concept is something cheapskates like you forget to mention.
I like Sam's "goddam rant about WVU". This disparate way funding of these two schools has always handled in WV in is something always worth pointing out ,IMHO!

Marshall can't find "many people/corporate sponsors" and that is the problem... Being a football sponsor isn't like taking out a 3x5 in the local paper. We are talking tens of thousands of dollars, or more.

If we had businesses lining up to give us that kind of money we could say no to whoever the university so chose... But we don't. So we will keep pimping Dutch Miller, Giovanni's, Fat Patty's, etc from now until eternity, or until they stop sending checks.

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!

This board is just amazing.

Didn't all of you complain like 6 months ago about how Marshall had TOO MANY ADVERTISEMENTS during the games?
"Durrrr...I hate the constant announcements about local businesses...I wanna hear the game!!!"

Now all of sudden MU doesn't have enough?

You realize MU needs all the money they can get, right?
No, you reap what you sow.
Run off the businesses because you want less noise, expect to pay more at the gate.

Complain about the economy and "but but we are just a poor school in WV..." then kick around why MU can't upkeep itself.

As I said...pick a goddamn side...and commit to it.
Instead it seems you call just cycle around in an endless maelstrom of misery.

Reactions: FootballArmy
BWAHAHAHA!!!!!

This board is just amazing.

Didn't all of you complain like 6 months ago about how Marshall had TOO MANY ADVERTISEMENTS during the games?
"Durrrr...I hate the constant announcements about local businesses...I wanna hear the game!!!"

Now all of sudden MU doesn't have enough?

You realize MU needs all the money they can get, right?
No, you reap what you sow.
Run off the businesses because you want less noise, expect to pay more at the gate.

Complain about the economy and "but but we are just a poor school in WV..." then kick around why MU can't upkeep itself.

As I said...pick a goddamn side...and commit to it.
Instead it seems you call just cycle around in an endless maelstrom of misery.
It’s about how we advertise. The damn announcements constantly is an annoying pain to the ears. Do it before the game, halftime, after the game. Put it on the scoreboard. Do that and the fans get the message. Let the game be played without that shit

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Well, I graduated from MU 1981 and we were getting the short end of the stick in funding back then just like we are now! It never changes so bitching is about all we have left.
Doesn't help for people to constantly go back 30 years and say, "...MU should have..."
I am likely younger than most on this board, MU has absolutely grown since my days there in undergrad. It is possible for MU to continue to grow, just need more optimism around the area to support it.

It’s about how we advertise. The damn announcements constantly is an annoying pain to the ears. Do it before the game, halftime, after the game. Put it on the scoreboard. Do that and the fans get the message. Let the game be played without that shit
Doesn't work that way pal. Why advertise when nobody's in the stadium before a game, why advertise during halftime when a band is playing, why advertise when half the stadium is already empty and the rest are complaining that MU won?

Advertising at everything but the peak of said advert's effectiveness is basically one of the dumbest business approaches ever and a complete waste of money.

Any more advertisements on the scoreboard and you won't be able to see the replays.

Also, the business has a say of when it's advertised as well. Agreements are written and have to be done or else MU gets sued.
Would you like to try to negotiate the contracts of advertisers during games so MU can gain the maximum advertisement dollars, keep the businesses happy, AND not advertise when the stands are full?

Go for it.

Doesn't work that way pal. Why advertise when nobody's in the stadium before a game, why advertise during halftime when a band is playing, why advertise when half the stadium is already empty and the rest are complaining that MU won?

Advertising at everything but the peak of said advert's effectiveness is basically one of the dumbest business approaches ever and a complete waste of money.

Any more advertisements on the scoreboard and you won't be able to see the replays.

Also, the business has a say of when it's advertised as well. Agreements are written and have to be done or else MU gets sued.
Would you like to try to negotiate the contracts of advertisers during games so MU can gain the maximum advertisement dollars, keep the businesses happy, AND not advertise when the stands are full?

Go for it.
I have to disagree my friend. There is a way to do it effectively without blaring an announcement in the middle of the game. People tune those out anyway. i know I do. As to the scoreboard, we rarely get replays any more. It's more of the rolling M or some other 1970's graphic that reminds me of my Commodore 64.
I'd love to see the ROI a sponsor gets from a PA announcement (not sure that can be quantified) if so, it has to be pretty poor. I DOUBT if I have ever purchased a product or service because someone advertised at an MU sporting event. I appreciate the sponsorship but that never affected my buying decision.

Last edited:

Go for it.
Again, it goes back to planning - something MU obviously hasn't done as far a game day goes. Lets continue with the Chinese fire drill approach and see how that goes - pitiful. Preparation, communication and doing it top notch would make a huge difference. Yeah, I'd love to have some of those planning duties. I'm pretty sure I could do it better.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
it is typical to see the same ole advertisement and just because they write checks doesn’t mean someone shouldn’t go looking for more.. ask and you might receive…

I work at a pretty large company (much larger then Dutch or Giovanni’s ) in the area and I know first hand the only thing they get asked for it to buy season tickets to hand out. Should they do more, maybe but also no one has asked…

please stop with this idiocy. I don't know if you don't know how to negotiate a car deal or what but Dutch Miller is like all car dealers and this particular one is a big supporter of the Herd.
Dutch Miller Chevrolet is garbage, really surprised they still are around..

Dutch Miller Chevrolet is garbage, really surprised they still are around..
I imagine a lot of things surprise you. It's much more than DM Chevrolet. It's DM Auto Group and they are a mega dealer offering multiple brands in multiple locations in WV and out of state including Charlotte and Bristol.

now go learn how to buy a car and you won't be so bitter.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
I like Sam's "goddam rant about WVU". This disparate way funding of these two schools has always handled in WV in is something always worth pointing out ,IMHO!
Not sure if you know but WV has a soft drink tax, one of the few in the country. All revenue generated from that tax goes to WVU medical school. That’s why it was implemented and still continues to this day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT