ADVERTISEMENT

Tear Down the End Zone Seats! What?

Let's cram a Fat Patty's inside the new end zone facility.
Nah....Fats used to be good but not the best place anymore. I'd take Oscars over that. Endzone with a large COVERED, gated area to party and hang during the half or whatever would be cool. Also, this is pipe dream but eventually like another Big green room but similar to what other pro stadiums have with cooked food and table tops and stuff to sit at and watch the game, eat and drink. If someone wanted.

Reactions: Jartard
Would also be cool for the party area to have cover and outdoor heaters so people could stand and drink and talk and watch the game as long as you have purchased something. Or hot days have the fans that spray water like a cooling station. Also a portable cooling station for tailgates at main lot.

Not sure if you know but WV has a soft drink tax, one of the few in the country. All revenue generated from that tax goes to WVU medical school. That’s why it was implemented and still continues to this day.
Actually the soft drink tax was abolished this session by the legislature.

Again, it goes back to planning - something MU obviously hasn't done as far a game day goes. Lets continue with the Chinese fire drill approach and see how that goes - pitiful. Preparation, communication and doing it top notch would make a huge difference. Yeah, I'd love to have some of those planning duties. I'm pretty sure I could do it better.
PA announcer spews his message while Jason Toy hands out United Bank cups, DJ Herd That spins the disks, all while the Marching Thunder plays on but seldom marches. It's a grand slam smash.
I imagine a lot of things surprise you. It's much more than DM Chevrolet. It's DM Auto Group and they are a mega dealer offering multiple brands in multiple locations in WV and out of state including Charlotte and Bristol.

now go learn how to buy a car and y won't be so bitter.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Not sure if you know but WV has a soft drink tax, one of the few in the country. All revenue generated from that tax goes to WVU medical school. That’s why it was implemented and still continues to this day.

The WVU lobby rather see it abolished than share any of it with MU?

We want all the flashy facilities but can’t get anyone to donate. We fans love to talk but we can’t walk the walk.

dangerously close to that fan shaming that you don't like.

hopefully you now see what a cheap fan base we have that has little interest in financially supporting the program. The "and 1" promotion shows me that not only do our fans not want to donate, most of us don't want to recruit new donors either. After seeing this, maybe we can now see what our BG staff is up against. It's been this way a long time(300 and some folks donated to Vision) and I'll bet Herd Rises participation is much worse.

maybe winning can fix this to a degree, but honestly winning big would increase some ticket sells which would increase some BG memberships with our generous fans donating the minimum for the required seat they would like.

Maybe we could approach Nucor Steel about some naming rights with them coming to the area. If that doesn't pan out then build a Chick Fil A in the endzone. That will bring em in

Actually the legislature is pulling funds from the state budget to give to all three medical schools. I think WVU took a little bit of a hit, but MU got 5.5 million out of it. Not sure if that's above and beyond their normal funding or not. Some may know the specifics in better detail.

Maybe we could approach Nucor Steel about some naming rights with them coming to the area. If that doesn't pan out then build a Chick Fil A in the endzone. That will bring em in.
Build it with Nucor steel.

Details:

Original soda pop tax, passed back in the 50s, was by volume, not a % of the price, meaning it was a whopper back when passed, one cent per bottle, which was 5 cents back then. Inflation.

Anyway, it still generates about $14M, all to WVU. JJ has signed the repeal bill, which goes into effect July 1, 2024. It repeals the soda pop tax, and replaces it with a tax on insurance premiums. WVU medicine, dentistry, nursing, and all other health programs at WVU get $14M. WV Osteopathic gets $3.9M. MU medicine gets $5.5M. MU nursing, pharmacy and all the other health programs at MU, as well as all of the other nursing and allied health programs at the various state colleges, get zero.

Better, but still unfair.
Also, this is pipe dream but eventually like another Big green room but similar to what other pro stadiums have with cooked food and table tops and stuff to sit at and watch the game, eat and drink. If someone wanted.

You mean like the Big Green Room that is directly below the luxury boxes, which has cooked food, table tops, and 7 big screen TVs to watch the game on? The one that has been there since 1990 and which is open to any Big Green member with a chair back ticket? Like that one?

Or do you mean a place like that, where you can see the game live? Those are called luxury suites and boxes.

You guys are missing the point on this:

The play is increased luxury seating with new boxes over top as well as a party area. Both things will increase revenue and make the atmosphere better. It's basically a stadium renovation that will cost us some capacity while upping revenue a good bit.

Someone said Appy had a great endzone, but we don't have the demand for it. False. Appy does have a great endzone, but we have the demand for the same thing.

The other thing you are missing is that it's VASTLY easier to fund a football seating project than a baseball stadium because you can get commitments from the companies who want a box. You can finance a lot of it up front that way.

Details:

Original soda pop tax, passed back in the 50s, was by volume, not a % of the price, meaning it was a whopper back when passed, one cent per bottle, which was 5 cents back then. Inflation.

Anyway, it still generates about $14M, all to WVU. JJ has signed the repeal bill, which goes into effect July 1, 2024. It repeals the soda pop tax, and replaces it with a tax on insurance premiums. WVU medicine, dentistry, nursing, and all other health programs at WVU get $14M. WV Osteopathic gets $3.9M. MU medicine gets $5.5M. MU nursing, pharmacy and all the other health programs at MU, as well as all of the other nursing and allied health programs at the various state colleges, get zero.

Better, but still unfair.

You mean like the Big Green Room that is directly below the luxury boxes, which has cooked food, table tops, and 7 big screen TVs to watch the game on? The one that has been there since 1990 and which is open to any Big Green member with a chair back ticket? Like that one?

Or do you mean a place like that, where you can see the game live? Those are called luxury suites and boxes.
Appreciate the update on the pop tax which was nothing more than tyranny!

You guys are missing the point on this:

The play is increased luxury seating with new boxes over top as well as a party area. Both things will increase revenue and make the atmosphere better.

The other thing you are missing is that it's VASTLY easier to fund a football seating project than a baseball stadium because you can get commitments from the companies who want a box. You can finance a lot of it up front that way.
Don’t disagree, and note that MU added more luxury boxes, IIRC, maybe 10 years ago. Which were funded by the people/companies that wanted them.

But I think you are making a fatal mistake. While, AFAIK, the list of who owns/rents the luxury boxes is not published, I don’t think there is a waiting list. Who is out there that wants one? Until you have customers you don’t need more inventory.

As to the end zone area, they haven’t said, but it seems like there are two options. One is a “party deck” like Charleston (soon to be closed) baseball park has, where its a beer fest for one price. The other would be just a place to pass through and hang out with some concession. I would rather have the later.

here is a thought. If they add luxury seating would it be out of the realm of possibility to rent some of the boxes for a game day experience ? Surely there are many out there who would love to rent a luxury spot but can't afford to pay for one. The ability to rent a spot would be great IMO. I can imagine my fraternity alumni brothers doing this. I mean charge like 2,500 per game or whatever would be appropriate based on the market value the size of the space and the number of people allowed to be there. . Depending on the size of the rooms rent them out for small office parties or receptions during the week and during the off season. and charge an appropriate fee during the down times and add a revenue stream. Wouldn't it be cool to have a Christmas office party and look out at the field while you enjoy a fun evening with peers. Look, if you are thinking outside the box, you need to find more ways to utilize your existing facilities IMO.

Last edited:
As to the end zone area, they haven’t said, but it seems like there are two options. One is a “party deck” like Charleston (soon to be closed) baseball park has, where its a beer fest for one price. The other would be just a place to pass through and hang out with some concession. I would rather have the later.
I agree... I don't really care if its some velvet roped off "party deck" or just a nice looking concourse with concessions, but either way can we make it look nice and like it's an "addition" to the stadium rather than the "subtraction" of metal bleachers we don't need.

It’s probably just me, but it is so strange to me when people hate on the businesses that financially support the school we all support. You can dislike businesses that sell cars, food, etc., but you realize these are the businesses that fund the school we all love, right?
I think its more that we are beaten over the head mercilessly throughout the course of the game with sponsorships and ads. You probably see/hear more commercials at a marshall game than at home watching it.

We want all the flashy facilities but can’t get anyone to donate. We fans love to talk but we can’t walk the walk.
Because people in this area don't have large disposable incomes and some that do have enough don't want to donate to a program as mismanaged, historically speaking, as this one.

And then you have the fans that genuinely want everything for free.

The game day experience has been spiraling downward for a while, with no end in sight, the play on the field has been mediocre, and there are more viewing options. If the athletic department wants a larger donor base it needs to do something to earn it.

Personally, I have no problem with the ads. They pay the freight. Live, on TV, on the radio, whatever.

All things being equal IMHO a Marshall fan should patronize MU advertisers all they can. IMHO no MU fan should do business with any WVU advertising company that does business south of US 50 in the state of WV which does not buy a proportional share of ads from MU.

Don’t disagree, and note that MU added more luxury boxes, IIRC, maybe 10 years ago. Which were funded by the people/companies that wanted them.

But I think you are making a fatal mistake. While, AFAIK, the list of who owns/rents the luxury boxes is not published, I don’t think there is a waiting list. Who is out there that wants one? Until you have customers you don’t need more inventory.

I know with certainty that there are companies that want them and can’t get them yet.

Not signed into law yet but on governors desk, senate bill 533 is waiting the governors signature. might survive by some miracle as as it’s been 11 days. if signed it won’t take effect untill 2024 so it has not been abolished but getting closer.

Sam has spelled out the planned phase out of the "Pop Tax" pretty well. "Replacement" funds from other revenue sources will make WVU's Medical School "whole" and MU and the Osteopathic School will combined get about 60 to 65% or so of what WVU gets. Original pop tax dates from the 50s and was basically to fund the construction of the Medical School in Morgantown. Once built, the leadership at that "FlagSh*t" institution, evil and devious as they are (think Gordy "Geek"), aren't totally STUPID. So they convinced all their lackey politicians in the Legislature (most of whom were/are WVU law grads) to leave the "Pop Tax Spigot" intact, and wide open, for all the subsequent decades down to today. The recent legislation is an improvement but, as again Sam notes, is not perfect, by any means!

Reactions: MU PIKE
Again, it goes back to planning - something MU obviously hasn't done as far a game day goes. Lets continue with the Chinese fire drill approach and see how that goes - pitiful. Preparation, communication and doing it top notch would make a huge difference. Yeah, I'd love to have some of those planning duties. I'm pretty sure I could do it better.
No you couldn't. You'd walk away from negotiations with less money and pissed off local businesses because you essentially told them they are annoying but you need their money.
Don't worry though, this is a problem all over the US. When UT got Godzillatron, the sponsors to help pay it off were so annoying, the UT fans chanted, "we won't buy that!" Anytime they advertised something.

No you couldn't. You'd walk away from negotiations with less money and pissed off local businesses because you essentially told them they are annoying but you need their money.
Don't worry though, this is a problem all over the US. When UT got Godzillatron, the sponsors to help pay it off were so annoying, the UT fans chanted, "we won't buy that!" Anytime they advertised something.
I could but that’s just an opinion. I’d help them with plans that position them better and provide more ROI for their dollar. You really think anyone in the Schewey are such astute Business negotiators that they are getting more money than the business offers? Lol! But yeah, the ads are annoying but it comes with the territory. And they don’t do a damn thing for anyone’s business. No one is rushing to Dutch to buy a Chevy, or rushing to Giovanni’s for their pizza.

If analysis proved it to be that lucrative, every business in town would do it.

They do it to support Marshall and for that I am grateful.

And they don’t do a damn thing for anyone’s business. No one is rushing to Dutch to buy a Chevy, or rushing to Giovanni’s for their pizza.

That, sir, is a huge point in all of these discussions.

Most of the ad buyers on MU sports, or any college sport team except the top 20 or 30, are buying ads out of trying to be a part of the community and supporting the lifestyle of the community. They could sell more of whatever they are selling by calling up WSAZ or whoever owns the billboards or IHEARTRADIO or whatever.

Which is why, IMHO, MU fans should go out of their way, as much as they can, to patronize MU supporters and tell them that is why we are doing it.

BTW, I believe that the ads on the scoreboards and the in-arena ads are actually sold not out of the AD's office, but by IMG Learfield. That company provides a new scoreboard every so often at no charge, in return for that and then when the contract is over we have the choice of keeping the old scoreboard, or trading it in for a new one in return for more years of rights. We have always done the trade in.

IMG pays Marshall a specific annual amount to own the advertising rights. They must sell more then their annual payment to make money. IMG does a great job for the University and most others schools across the country. They are always actively working to improve the game day experience as well as the daily promotion of the Herd. With their collegiate agreements all over the country I’m sure they will be involved in the planning of the space as they have seen everything that is going on around the country.

IMG pays Marshall a specific annual amount to own the advertising rights. They must sell more then their annual payment to make money. IMG does a great job for the University and most others schools across the country. They are always actively working to improve the game day experience as well as the daily promotion of the Herd. With their collegiate agreements all over the country I’m sure they will be involved in the planning of the space as they have seen everything that is going on around the country.
Our game day experience is beyond help. Lol!

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
IMG pays Marshall a specific annual amount to own the advertising rights. They must sell more then their annual payment to make money. IMG does a great job for the University and most others schools across the country.
*than

I’d say it’s more of a problem with product on the field. you put lipstick on a pig, it’s still a pig.
Partly true. Although on field performance doesn't dictate the endless announcements, dead PA guy (he's ALLOWED to be a homer), chaos between the band, cheerleaders, bad music and the new DJ dude. It's a cluster that shouldn't happen with a little planning and communication. We can't even manage that. Bad.

I could but that’s just an opinion. I’d help them with plans that position them better and provide more ROI for their dollar. You really think anyone in the Schewey are such astute Business negotiators that they are getting more money than the business offers? Lol! But yeah, the ads are annoying but it comes with the territory. And they don’t do a damn thing for anyone’s business. No one is rushing to Dutch to buy a Chevy, or rushing to Giovanni’s for their pizza.

Ah the age old, "if only they let me be in charge, I'd make things better" line, spoken on an online message board, from someone who has how many years marketing experience for a D1 AD?

I think its more about the highest bidder and where their advertisements will go than anything. Plenty of businesses do advertise but we just don't see them as often.
Also, the amount of businesses and money spent helps keep costs lower than others while putting a halfway decent product on the field.
MU doesn't have much to choose from, given WV as a state hates businesses and making money. So places like Dutch Miller who (regardless of what you think about him) does sell quite a lot of cars and has the money to burn, will be top business advertised and can influence when spoken of during games...regardless of if we like it or not.
If WV had more businesses to advertise, it would certainly be interesting to see how much more money MU could make.

Ah the age old, "if only they let me be in charge, I'd make things better" line, spoken on an online message board, from someone who has how many years marketing experience for a D1 AD?

I think its more about the highest bidder and where their advertisements will go than anything. Plenty of businesses do advertise but we just don't see them as often.
Also, the amount of businesses and money spent helps keep costs lower than others while putting a halfway decent product on the field.
MU doesn't have much to choose from, given WV as a state hates businesses and making money. So places like Dutch Miller who (regardless of what you think about him) does sell quite a lot of cars and has the money to burn, will be top business advertised and can influence when spoken of during games...regardless of if we like it or not.
If WV had more businesses to advertise, it would certainly be interesting to see how much more money MU could make.
Having years of negotiating experience and managing a business portfolio into the millions is not exclusive to those who work in the Schewey.
I agree the list of sponsors is limited. Be interesting to see what Spears does.

Having years of negotiating experience and managing a business portfolio into the millions is not exclusive to those who work in the Schewey.
I agree the list of sponsors is limited. Be interesting to see what Spears does.
A D1 AD has elements about it that you nor I could even possibly fathom in terms of difficulty.
You have to satisfy the majority of MU fans not in the know who don't pay 6 figures in donations yearly, along with those in the know, who do donate enough to be given say in what does and doesn't happen. That's just 1 aspect of it. I couldn't imagine negotiating with local businesses who know they have a bit of a grasp on MU because of how much they are willing tongive in return for a large portion of control.

Sponsors are limited no doubt. Would be nice to extend across state lines and go into KY and oh, to possibly get some other forms of business support.

I ask, would anyone be opposed to MU re-naming the stadium or posting an advertiser there along with Joan C. Edwards?
I recall Texas Tech doing that, which was not popular. ucf allowed the naming of their stadium for like $15 million over 15 years or something, basically $1 million per year for x number of years.

A D1 AD has elements about it that you nor I could even possibly fathom in terms of difficulty.
You have to satisfy the majority of MU fans not in the know who don't pay 6 figures in donations yearly, along with those in the know, who do donate enough to be given say in what does and doesn't happen. That's just 1 aspect of it. I couldn't imagine negotiating with local businesses who know they have a bit of a grasp on MU because of how much they are willing tongive in return for a large portion of control.

Sponsors are limited no doubt. Would be nice to extend across state lines and go into KY and oh, to possibly get some other forms of business support.

I ask, would anyone be opposed to MU re-naming the stadium or posting an advertiser there along with Joan C. Edwards?
I recall Texas Tech doing that, which was not popular. ucf allowed the naming of their stadium for like $15 million over 15 years or something, basically $1 million per year for x number of years.
They’ve trained you well, my friend.

I am all for selling the naming rights to the stadium and the basketball arena... Unfortunately, we have already named the field after Mr. Edwards, so we don't have that as an out.

It would be easier to sell the naming rights if we could make it "Joan C. Edwards Field" at "Huntington Bank Stadium" or whatever corporate sponsor of choosing.

Could do the same with hoops, Cam Henderson Court at "Insert Sponsor Name" arena.

Im sure guys way above our pay grade have looked at all these options. So I trust that our current setup is the one that makes the most sense as of right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT